Sun peaks 2021/2022

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Throw us a bone, here @main street .
Whats the chance of old mate Justin firing up on a "traffic light" system ala UK. Surely Australia/ NZ would be lower risk than allowing the festy plague ridden citizens of the US across the border?
I understand there is an economic component to cross border travel but are there similar discussions regarding international tourism imperatives as well?

Sorry,.... I deal in reality, not fantasy.

Under "normal" conditions Canada would realize more tourism $$ in a day from the USA than it would get via Australia / Unzud in a year....... The amount of 'Murcans that have homes and or cottages in Canada is staggering,......... Absolutely no way the border will open to ANZACS before its fully open to the US....... Never going to happen.

Think about it for a minute.....

Under your scenario, the ONLY way in would be direct via Vancouver if there was a joined bubble...... Now Air Canada would love that,..... but,..... Hello $10,000 a seat in cattle class ?? ...... You better believe it..... Economics 101.

Here's the other pesky little detail....... what ongoing infection rates for Canada would the Australian govt tolerate in order to let Aussie people back in after their very expensive OS jaunt ??

You can be certain that there will not be some magical switch flicked and all the restrictions will disappear in the next few months or so,..... That's ridiculous fantasy and a waste of time to be frank.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
At a practical level, the only flight connections Canada to Australia right now are in and out of the US. Volume has to increase before AC will resume direct flights. Volume won't increase if either govt has restrictions. Australia will keep the borders very tight to preserve the airtight seal they've been able to achieve this past year.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
At a practical level, the only flight connections Canada to Australia right now are in and out of the US. Volume has to increase before AC will resume direct flights. Volume won't increase if either govt has restrictions. Australia will keep the borders very tight to preserve the airtight seal they've been able to achieve this past year.

Not stopping AC selling airfares for Syd-Yvr. You can go on the website and purchase a return ticket for Jan-Feb next year. Optimistic I guess, and they get the cash now, and probably then refund then in credits

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Do not book with AC if you expect a refund. They are notorious for reluctantly offering credit vouchers - with 12 month expiry. So bad that $4B of the recent Federal govt assistance package was for cash refunds on canceled flights. Once they've finished giving taxpayers their own money back, they'll have nothing for the next round of refunds. Note this was their normal practice well before Covid.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Here's the other pesky little detail....... what ongoing infection rates for Canada would the Australian govt tolerate in order to let Aussie people back in after their very expensive OS jaunt ??
Rich Australians will 100% be travelling to ski next northern winter, they'll concoct a business reason to be there and quarantine on the way back in. Volume will be minuscule but it will happen.

Reactions: Me+3

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Rich Australians will 100% be travelling to ski next northern winter, they'll concoct a business reason to be there and quarantine on the way back in. Volume will be minuscule but it will happen.

That already has happened...... But we weren't talking about the odd few that manage to slip through the cracks or are prepared to be dishonest enough to con their way in & out.

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Air Canada are flying a number of flights each week into Sydney. Maybe they're freight but they're passenger planes.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Air Canada are flying a number of flights each week into Sydney. Maybe they're freight but they're passenger planes.

Looks like they have direct flights scheduled, see the pic below. However, don’t think you can book those.

A0D9A9BC-C2ED-4480-B997-E94DB0BBD26F.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
RIP. Met him very briefly at MW in 2018. Toasts that night for Warren Miller who had died that year.

He inspired me 40 years ago, and eventually I got there.

‘’Thanks mike. A very special part of my life. I remain hopeful of one more trip.

As Warren Miller [and my son reminded me] if you don’t do it this year…..

F27CFEF4-5A67-415C-8518-4FDC24911198.jpeg

688D87A0-64E3-436C-B9FC-07EF9940E9E0.jpeg

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Those annual Warren Miller movies signalled the start of our ski season and they always featured " Mike Wiegele at Blue River British Columbia..."
Another icon gone.

Reactions: Captain Caveman

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Throw us a bone, here @main street .
Whats the chance of old mate Justin firing up on a "traffic light" system ala UK. Surely Australia/ NZ would be lower risk than allowing the festy plague ridden citizens of the US across the border?
I understand there is an economic component to cross border travel but are there similar discussions regarding international tourism imperatives as well?

The problem is not the going it is the returning. Fix the returning process and we should be good to go.

Captain Caveman

Hard Yards
Sep 24, 2020
The problem is not the going it is the returning. Fix the returning process and we should be good to go.
I like they way you talk!.
I will happily Quarantine from home and wear a bloody ankle monitoring bracelet and they can test me every freaking day . With the NSW and Vic cluster f*** going on right now I still am not super confident

Reactions: Crystal and Roymond

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
I like they way you talk!.
I will happily Quarantine from home and wear a bloody ankle monitoring bracelet and they can test me every freaking day . With the NSW and Vic cluster f*** going on right now I still am not super confident
Obviously still a long way off for us but at least it's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Need to keep ramping up the vaccinations.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Def cooler this week, hopefully moisture comes with it. The firies really need some help. There's a fire on a hillside overlooking Penticton that could take out the main air tanker base itself if the wrong wind were to blow up.

• Sad
Reactions: Chalkie and Crystal

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Not sure how the up coming ski season will pan out.

The massive Pfizer Clinical trial in Israel has shown that the shot wanes in effectiveness against the variants to the level that one is considered "unvaccinated" 6 months after the last of two doses. Read that again.

Their Green Pass expires and to renew you need to have the third shot. It is the same shot as the first two, based on the same spike protein, go figure. Sweden has already closed their doors to Israeli travellers as they were heavily vaccinated early under the Pfizer trial and consider them an unacceptable risk. I expect more countries to follow suit and as The US leading edge of the newly unvaccinated approaches this month they may be added to the exclusion list. Does not matter whether you were jabbed or not, both give and receive equally.
Their stats show that the variants are more transmissible but thankfully less deadly.

Looking back at the BC vaccine stats, the leading edge of our newly unvaccinated cohort occurs in the middle of October. The older you are the less robust was the immune response and possibly we have lost protection even after 5 months. As the Israeli study found, it is less deadly but can put both categories in the hospital.

The N American seasonal Flu period is just starting at that time. Confusion between the two will likely cause a new series of travel restrictions both for Canadians and Americans as numbers ramp up with the new class of unvaccinated. Many of my older friends are already in this category. The rest of BC to join them by January 2022 as the number of shots received were picking up.

The good news is the Israeli clinical trial has delivered roughly 2.5 million third shots and we should know if the we need to rethink the shot by January. From what I have heard from boots on the ground, each successive shot has more adverse reactions. Mostly thrombotic.

If your Astra-Zeneca has different signals and proves to be effective, then you could be free to travel but likely not to Canada.

Just letting you know what "could" happen.

When do the Kiwis and Aussies get to travel overseas from your Health Dept standpoint?
I think I am seeing the writing on the wall from Canada's perspective and it doesn't look good..

• Sad
Reactions: Taipan and Roymond

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

The massive Pfizer Clinical trial in Israel has shown that the shot wanes in effectiveness against the variants to the level that one is considered "unvaccinated" 6 months after the last of two doses. Read that again.

Their Green Pass expires and to renew you need to have the third shot. It is the same shot as the first two, based on the same spike protein, go figure. Sweden has already closed their doors to Israeli travellers as they were heavily vaccinated early under the Pfizer trial and consider them an unacceptable risk. I expect more countries to follow suit and as The US leading edge of the newly unvaccinated approaches this month they may be added to the exclusion list. Does not matter whether you were jabbed or not, both give and receive equally.
Their stats show that the variants are more transmissible but thankfully less deadly.

Looking back at the BC vaccine stats, the leading edge of our newly unvaccinated cohort occurs in the middle of October. The older you are the less robust was the immune response and possibly we have lost protection even after 5 months. As the Israeli study found, it is less deadly but can put both categories in the hospital.

The N American seasonal Flu period is just starting at that time. Confusion between the two will likely cause a new series of travel restrictions both for Canadians and Americans as numbers ramp up with the new class of unvaccinated. Many of my older friends are already in this category. The rest of BC to join them by January 2022 as the number of shots received were picking up.

The good news is the Israeli clinical trial has delivered roughly 2.5 million third shots and we should know if the we need to rethink the shot by January. From what I have heard from boots on the ground, each successive shot has more adverse reactions. Mostly thrombotic.

If your Astra-Zeneca has different signals and proves to be effective, then you could be free to travel but likely not to Canada.

When do the Kiwis and Aussies get to travel overseas from your Health Dept standpoint?
I think I am seeing the writing on the wall from Canada's perspective and it doesn't look good..

I can't find anything about the Israel study that assesses whether T-cell immunity wanes over time - the study is based on numbers, not actual experimental proof of the immunological outcomes of vaccination (such as surface antibody and T-cell responses). And Israel is not a useful comparator in some respects. It more or less tapped out at about 60% of the total population fully vaccinated - Canada now has higher vaccination rates than Israel at 67% of the total population fully vaccinated, and will likely reach 75% of the total population (and BC is ahead of the Canada average), and used a mix of vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca).

A refutation of the Israel study from David Leonhardt in the NYT said this:

"Late last month, researchers in Israel released some alarming new Covid-19 data. The data showed that many Israelis who had been among the first to receive the vaccine were nonetheless catching the Covid virus. Israelis who had been vaccinated later were not getting infected as often.​
The study led to headlines around the world about waning immunity — the idea that vaccines lose their effectiveness over time. In the U.S., the Israeli study accelerated a debate about vaccine booster shots and played a role in the Biden administration’s recent recommendation that all Americans receive a booster shot eight months after their second dose.​
But the real story about waning immunity is more complex than the initial headlines suggested. Some scientists believe that the Israeli data was misleading and that U.S. policy on booster shots has gotten ahead of the facts. The evidence for waning immunity is murky, these scientists say, and booster shots may not have a big effect.​
After returning from an August break last week, I have spent time reaching out to scientists to ask for their help in understanding the current, confusing stage of the pandemic. How worried should vaccinated people be about the Delta variant? How much risk do children face? Which parts of the Covid story are being overhyped, and which deserve more attention?​
One of the main messages I’m hearing from the experts is that conventional wisdom about waning immunity is problematic. Yes, the immunity from the Covid vaccines will wane at some point. But it may not yet have waned in a meaningful way.​
“There’s a big difference between needing another shot every six months versus every five years,” Dr. David Dowdy, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University, told me. “So far, looking at the data we have, I’m not seeing much evidence that we’ve reached that point yet.”​
At first glance, the Israeli data seems straightforward: People who had been vaccinated in the winter were more likely to contract the virus this summer than people who had been vaccinated in the spring.​
Yet it would truly be proof of waning immunity only if the two groups — the winter and spring vaccine recipients — were otherwise similar to each other. If not, the other differences between them might be the real reason for the gap in the Covid rates.​
As it turns out, the two groups were different. The first Israelis to have received the vaccine tended to be more affluent and educated. By coincidence, these same groups later were among the first exposed to the Delta variant, perhaps because they were more likely to travel. Their higher infection rate may have stemmed from the new risks they were taking, not any change in their vaccine protection.​
Statisticians have a name for this possibility — when topline statistics point to a false conclusion that disappears when you examine subgroups. It’s called Simpson’s Paradox.​
This paradox may also explain some of the U.S. data that the C.D.C. has cited to justify booster shots. Many Americans began to resume more indoor activities this spring. That more were getting Covid may reflect their newfound Covid exposure (as well as the arrival of Delta), rather than any waning of immunity over time.​
Sure enough, other data supports the notion that vaccine immunity is not waning much.​
The ratio of positive Covid tests among older adults and children, for example, does not seem to be changing, Dowdy notes. If waning immunity were a major problem, we should expect to see a faster rise in Covid cases among older people (who were among the first to receive shots). And even the Israeli analysis showed that the vaccines continued to prevent serious Covid illness at essentially the same rate as before.​
“If there’s data proving the need for boosters, where is it?” Zeynep Tufekci, the sociologist and Times columnist, has written.​
Part of the problem is that the waning-immunity story line is irresistible to many people. The vaccine makers — Pfizer, Moderna and others — have an incentive to promote it, because booster shots will bring them big profits. The C.D.C. and F.D.A., for their part, have a history of extreme caution, even when it harms public health. We in the media tend to suffer from bad-news bias. And many Americans are so understandably frightened by Covid that they pay more attention to alarming signs than reassuring ones.​

The bottom line​

Here’s my best attempt to give you an objective summary of the evidence, free from alarmism — and acknowledging uncertainty:​
Immunity does probably wane modestly within the first year of receiving a shot. For this reason, booster shots make sense for vulnerable people, many experts believe. As Dr. Céline Gounder of Bellevue Hospital Center told my colleague Apoorva Mandavilli, the C.D.C.’s data “support giving additional doses of vaccine to highly immunocompromised persons and nursing home residents, not to the general public.”​
The current booster shots may do little good for most people. The vaccines continue to provide excellent protection against illness (as opposed to merely a positive Covid test). People will eventually need boosters, but it may make more sense to wait for one specifically designed to combat a variant. “We don’t know whether a non-Delta booster would improve protection against Delta,” Dr. Aaron Richterman of the University of Pennsylvania told me.​
A national policy of frequent booster shots has significant costs, financially and otherwise. Among other things, the exaggerated discussion of waning immunity contributes to vaccine skepticism.​
While Americans are focusing on booster shots, other policies may do much more to beat back Covid, including more vaccine mandates in the U.S.; a more rapid push to vaccinate the world (and prevent other variants from taking root); and an accelerated F.D.A. study of vaccines for children.​
As always, we should be open to changing our minds as we get new evidence. As Richterman puts it, “We have time to gather the appropriate evidence before rushing into boosters.”​
Provincial health officers are still focussed on getting overall vaccination rates up. Hospitalisations and deaths are not showing any material increase signals as we approach October:

Screenshot 2021-09-06 184426.jpg

While the Israel scenario might not be ruled out as a possibility for Canada (who knows what the future of the pandemic might hold), the current Canadian situation suggests that is unlikely.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra

@Hudson , there is extensive discussion in the COVID threads on this forum about vaccine efficacy and the experience in other countries (such as Israel, which doesn’t have a vast majority of its population vaccinated and relied heavily on Pfizer). It is a fluid situation regarding how countries such as Canada will treat incoming visitors; suffice to say the Astra Zeneca vaccine is highly effective in preventing deaths and hospitalisations, and is one of the few given the tick of approval by the WHO in terms of its effectiveness. Notwithstanding this, you are right to urge caution about overseas visitors who are jumping in and booking holidays to Canada at this point as we simply don’t know how things will play out. @Chalkie may have more to add here.

Edit: snap @Chalkie

Reactions: Chalkie

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
I can't find anything about the Israel study that assesses whether T-cell immunity wanes over time - the study is based on numbers, not actual experimental proof of the immunological outcomes of vaccination (such as surface antibody and T-cell responses). And Israel is not a useful comparator in some respects. It more or less tapped out at about 60% of the total population fully vaccinated - Canada now has higher vaccination rates than Israel at 67% of the total population fully vaccinated, and will likely reach 75% of the total population (and BC is ahead of the Canada average), and used a mix of vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca).

A refutation of the Israel study from David Leonhardt in the NYT said this:

"Late last month, researchers in Israel released some alarming new Covid-19 data. The data showed that many Israelis who had been among the first to receive the vaccine were nonetheless catching the Covid virus. Israelis who had been vaccinated later were not getting infected as often.​
The study led to headlines around the world about waning immunity — the idea that vaccines lose their effectiveness over time. In the U.S., the Israeli study accelerated a debate about vaccine booster shots and played a role in the Biden administration’s recent recommendation that all Americans receive a booster shot eight months after their second dose.​
But the real story about waning immunity is more complex than the initial headlines suggested. Some scientists believe that the Israeli data was misleading and that U.S. policy on booster shots has gotten ahead of the facts. The evidence for waning immunity is murky, these scientists say, and booster shots may not have a big effect.​
After returning from an August break last week, I have spent time reaching out to scientists to ask for their help in understanding the current, confusing stage of the pandemic. How worried should vaccinated people be about the Delta variant? How much risk do children face? Which parts of the Covid story are being overhyped, and which deserve more attention?​
One of the main messages I’m hearing from the experts is that conventional wisdom about waning immunity is problematic. Yes, the immunity from the Covid vaccines will wane at some point. But it may not yet have waned in a meaningful way.​
“There’s a big difference between needing another shot every six months versus every five years,” Dr. David Dowdy, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University, told me. “So far, looking at the data we have, I’m not seeing much evidence that we’ve reached that point yet.”​
At first glance, the Israeli data seems straightforward: People who had been vaccinated in the winter were more likely to contract the virus this summer than people who had been vaccinated in the spring.​
Yet it would truly be proof of waning immunity only if the two groups — the winter and spring vaccine recipients — were otherwise similar to each other. If not, the other differences between them might be the real reason for the gap in the Covid rates.​
As it turns out, the two groups were different. The first Israelis to have received the vaccine tended to be more affluent and educated. By coincidence, these same groups later were among the first exposed to the Delta variant, perhaps because they were more likely to travel. Their higher infection rate may have stemmed from the new risks they were taking, not any change in their vaccine protection.​
Statisticians have a name for this possibility — when topline statistics point to a false conclusion that disappears when you examine subgroups. It’s called Simpson’s Paradox.​
This paradox may also explain some of the U.S. data that the C.D.C. has cited to justify booster shots. Many Americans began to resume more indoor activities this spring. That more were getting Covid may reflect their newfound Covid exposure (as well as the arrival of Delta), rather than any waning of immunity over time.​
Sure enough, other data supports the notion that vaccine immunity is not waning much.​
The ratio of positive Covid tests among older adults and children, for example, does not seem to be changing, Dowdy notes. If waning immunity were a major problem, we should expect to see a faster rise in Covid cases among older people (who were among the first to receive shots). And even the Israeli analysis showed that the vaccines continued to prevent serious Covid illness at essentially the same rate as before.​
“If there’s data proving the need for boosters, where is it?” Zeynep Tufekci, the sociologist and Times columnist, has written.​
Part of the problem is that the waning-immunity story line is irresistible to many people. The vaccine makers — Pfizer, Moderna and others — have an incentive to promote it, because booster shots will bring them big profits. The C.D.C. and F.D.A., for their part, have a history of extreme caution, even when it harms public health. We in the media tend to suffer from bad-news bias. And many Americans are so understandably frightened by Covid that they pay more attention to alarming signs than reassuring ones.​

The bottom line​

Here’s my best attempt to give you an objective summary of the evidence, free from alarmism — and acknowledging uncertainty:​
Immunity does probably wane modestly within the first year of receiving a shot. For this reason, booster shots make sense for vulnerable people, many experts believe. As Dr. Céline Gounder of Bellevue Hospital Center told my colleague Apoorva Mandavilli, the C.D.C.’s data “support giving additional doses of vaccine to highly immunocompromised persons and nursing home residents, not to the general public.”​
The current booster shots may do little good for most people. The vaccines continue to provide excellent protection against illness (as opposed to merely a positive Covid test). People will eventually need boosters, but it may make more sense to wait for one specifically designed to combat a variant. “We don’t know whether a non-Delta booster would improve protection against Delta,” Dr. Aaron Richterman of the University of Pennsylvania told me.​
A national policy of frequent booster shots has significant costs, financially and otherwise. Among other things, the exaggerated discussion of waning immunity contributes to vaccine skepticism.​
While Americans are focusing on booster shots, other policies may do much more to beat back Covid, including more vaccine mandates in the U.S.; a more rapid push to vaccinate the world (and prevent other variants from taking root); and an accelerated F.D.A. study of vaccines for children.​
As always, we should be open to changing our minds as we get new evidence. As Richterman puts it, “We have time to gather the appropriate evidence before rushing into boosters.”​
Provincial health officers are still focussed on getting overall vaccination rates up. Hospitalisations and deaths are not showing any material increase signals as we approach October:

Screenshot 2021-09-06 184426.jpg

While the Israel scenario might not be ruled out as a possibility for Canada (who knows what the future of the pandemic might hold), the current Canadian situation suggests that is unlikely.
We should know more by January 2021. In the meantime, the Israelis are considered unvaccinated 6 months after their two shot series of Pfizer as the variants have evaded the vaccine protection. This must say something about T-cell immunity or lack there of. A booster basically says the shot no longer gives enduring protection.

There are no equivalent studies yet on Moderna or Astra-Zeneca that I have seen.

Just offering a scenario that could play out. Thanks, good to hear all information. I do think we will experience a repeat of last Winter's restrictions at SPs. If you are a local, it really didn't affect you living on the mtn unless you had an affected business. I know how difficult that can be. Only when I returned to Vancouver did I know life was different.

For now, I spend my days cycling 25 km in Vancouver or hiking the alpine at SPs when not completing some renovations. Staying in shape for the upcoming Winter Season. The key is to spend 3-4 hours out of the house away from distractions that have driven many of my friends to live in fear. Get out and enjoy the great outdoors. Fresh air. Feeds the soul.

Reactions: Me+3 and northsail

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
We should know more by January 2021. In the meantime, the Israelis are considered unvaccinated 6 months after their two shot series of Pfizer as the variants have evaded the vaccine protection. This must say something about T-cell immunity or lack there of. A booster basically says the shot no longer gives enduring protection.

There are no equivalent studies yet on Moderna or Astra-Zeneca that I have seen.

Just offering a scenario that could play out. Thanks, good to hear all information. I do think we will experience a repeat of last Winter's restrictions at SPs. If you are a local, it really didn't affect you living on the mtn unless you had an affected business. I know how difficult that can be. Only when I returned to Vancouver did I know life was different.

For now, I spend my days cycling 25 km in Vancouver or hiking the alpine at SPs when not completing some renovations. Staying in shape for the upcoming Winter Season. The key is to spend 3-4 hours out of the house away from distractions that have driven many of my friends to live in fear. Get out and enjoy the great outdoors. Fresh air. Feeds the soul.
Direct it to the covid threads, however,

UK have done studies showing AZ protection lasts longer than Pfizer.

UK studies also show there is some loss of protection in regards to catching covid, or having mild disease, but very little loss of protection against serious disease ie hospitalisation, ICU and death. Israeli figures actually back this up. They are having increased breakthrough infections, but not a significant increase in severe disease. US experience is similar.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
I may have missed the answer, but has a date been set when Kiwis or Aussies can travel to open countries? Is there a link to a Government site? Trying to get a handle on expectations for our ski season. Your countries drive a good percentage of demand for accommodation, food services, etc at certain times.

Although, the BC mkt appears to have taken up the slack as more new Canadians take up Winter sports. Good to see the SE Asian crowd embracing skiing and snowboarding. I saw three generations renting homes on my street. Grandma and Grandpa are traditional and don't participate but keep the place busy in other ways. Will always remember the time that two large families played ball hockey on the street with Grandpa in the net. Those tennis balls get very hard when moist then frozen.

Personally, I'm still expecting a repeat of last ski season out of an abundance of caution by our PHOs.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
I may have missed the answer, but has a date been set when Kiwis or Aussies can travel to open countries? Is there a link to a Government site? Trying to get a handle on expectations for our ski season. Your countries drive a good percentage of demand for accommodation, food services, etc at certain times.

Although, the BC mkt appears to have taken up the slack as more new Canadians take up Winter sports. Good to see the SE Asian crowd embracing skiing and snowboarding. I saw three generations renting homes on my street. Grandma and Grandpa are traditional and don't participate but keep the place busy in other ways. Will always remember the time that two large families played ball hockey on the street with Grandpa in the net. Those tennis balls get very hard when moist then frozen.

Personally, I'm still expecting a repeat of last ski season out of an abundance of caution by our PHOs.

It is not date dependent, but vaccination level (80% fully vaccinated) dependent. See this report from the national broadcaster, the ABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07...ur-phase-plan-out-of-covid-pandemic/100339314.

The current projected date for 80% fully vaccinated is 19 November 2021:

Vax progress.jpg

Qantas is selling tickets for international travel, including from Sydney to Vancouver, from 18 December 2021.

Captain Caveman

Hard Yards
Sep 24, 2020

Would love to know @Hudson my friend.
There are now mumblings that Aussies that are double jabbed would only have to be in Quarantine for 7 days and not 14 and ideally at home and not in Hotels. Finally some logic!.
I do have a scenario that often crosses my mind as I arrive at Sun Peaks and then have to isolate myself. I then have the Mounties knocking on my door to ask where I am. Oh he is just coming down Spillway right about now. ;)

Reactions: Taipan

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Would love to know @Hudson my friend.
There are now mumblings that Aussies that are double jabbed would only have to be in Quarantine for 7 days and not 14 and ideally at home and not in Hotels. Finally some logic!.
I do have a scenario that often crosses my mind as I arrive at Sun Peaks and then have to isolate myself. I then have the Mounties knocking on my door to ask where I am. Oh he is just coming down Spillway right about now. ;)
I understood that from September 7, vaccinated OS travellers did not have to isolate on arrival. I think I saw that on the CBC website. Maybe locals can clarify…

You need a negative pcr 72 hrs prior to travel and there will be random linear flow spot saliva tests on arrival but after that it is a free for all…

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Even with Qantas selling seats and Canada telling us what they need I won't be booking until I see a set of guidelines from the Aus Gov on how travel will play out, basically what are the arrangements when we return and also chances of snap lockdowns shutting us out of Aus. A lot of people probably thinking the same as us.

Captain Caveman

Hard Yards
Sep 24, 2020
Even with Qantas selling seats and Canada telling us what they need I won't be booking until I see a set of guidelines from the Aus Gov on how travel will play out, basically what are the arrangements when we return and also chances of snap lockdowns shutting us out of Aus. A lot of people probably thinking the same as us.
Totally agree.
Just seems such a loooong stretch considering we can't even get a haircut right now and the rules literally change daily. I won't be forking out cash just yet. The only risk is paying more for a flight but we are going to be slammed anyway

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
I understood that from September 7, vaccinated OS travellers did not have to isolate on arrival. I think I saw that on the CBC website. Maybe locals can clarify…

You need a negative pcr 72 hrs prior to travel and there will be random linear flow spot saliva tests on arrival but after that it is a free for all…

That is all correct. As of yesterday, fully vaccinated overseas travellers who are Covid-negative can enter Canada without any quarantine or isolation requirements. You do need:

1. A negative pre-entry molecular (not antigen) Covid test within 72 hours prior to your flight.
2. A quarantine plan (where you will isolate for 14 days, the circumstances of the isolation and confirmation you will have the necessities without having to leave your isolation location) in case you become symptomatic between your negative test and entering Canada, or a random arrival test is positive.
3. Proof of full vaccination uploaded to the ArriveCan website.
4. You may be randomly selected to do a post-arrival test - a test kit is issued at the border, the test must be done under (remote) supervision of the test provider (cheek and nasal swab), and the swab returned to the test provider asap. LifeLabs I believe is providing the test kits and they can be returned to any Shoppers Drug Mart (eg, one in Kamloops).

Full details are here: Entry to Canada - fully vaccinated travellers.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Totally agree.
Just seems such a loooong stretch considering we can't even get a haircut right now and the rules literally change daily. I won't be forking out cash just yet. The only risk is paying more for a flight but we are going to be slammed anyway
They will send one of the Mounties on skis. They always get their man:)

Last Winter we had a travel restriction from The Lower Mainland to The Interior for a time. Just essential trips. I only saw one barricade along the Coq during that time. I was never stopped. This could affect plans if it was put in place again. Go the extra step and fly into The Loops from YVR. Just a suggestion probably not necessary.

The rules do change frequently. BC is bumping up against that ceiling where they won't get everyone to comply. There will be consequences. Their goal is 100% compliance and ski resorts could feel the brunt of new restrictions until that goal is met.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Anyone from Oz expecting to get to Sun Peaks in 3 or 4 months time?
I’m from Qld so highly unlikely. You punters from NSW are a chance.

Reactions: Roymond

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Anyone from Oz expecting to get to Sun Peaks in 3 or 4 months time?
I’m from Qld so highly unlikely. You punters from NSW are a chance.
I still reckon it's a huge longshot and really I am focusing on Northern Hemisphere skiing in Jan 2023. Maybe March 2022 (but not for us) will be possible? Still uncertain.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
More praying than expecting.

You're a good sounding board Chris - given your background.
So you'll travel internationally if given the chance?
I think I'll take it on when I have the opportunity (as long as the quarantine is the home variety and under one week). My concern is not so much Covid itself but another medical episode that would require medical attention for myself or one of my family when it is possible the hospital in Kamloops (or Chamonix or Innsbruck or Salt Lake City or Sapporo) might be clogged with Covid patients.

I really feel that waiting until NH spring might be the best idea - just to see how things play out over winter proper. While we're on the questions do you think there is a preferred country/continent for Aussies as far as medical attention is concerned? I have no real idea but I think I'd feel more comfortable in Canada than the US. I have no idea what I would expect if presenting at a hospital in Japan or France or Austria or Italy.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass