Sun peaks 2021/2022

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Interesting experience last night.
a group was over for Canadian Thanksgiving. After they left I decided to take Mr Hudson out through the ski room on the lower floor for his last walk. Got him leashed up, flipped on the lights and opened the door. Immediately he went into attack mode. About 1 m away was a young black bear by the door. Luckily I had him on a leash. The bear took off faster than I thought they could move.
Then I realized that there was a pile of pumpkins and winter squash by the door.
I had forgotten to bring them in from the market and that was what he was after.

You people are very optimistic about coming over. I just can’t see it happening with what is going on.
What is going on? Genuine question.
From what we see in the media here Canada as a whole seems to be tracking well with vaccination. There appears to be no growth in severe covid infection or deaths. Perhaps things are different on the ground? Or in BC specifically?
I do agree there is a question mark about the ability to travel for Aussies but most of that is to do with the leaving and returning to Australia. The need for quarantine on return being the biggest issue.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
What is going on is the unvaxed are perpetuating the pandemic. Australia will find this soon too. BC is over 80% fully vaxed but still 700+ new cases a day and serious numbers in hospital and ICU (less than 5% of those are vaccinated).

Growth of cases has leveled off but still the hospitals are stretched like never before. Unvaxed parents are infecting their children, and then other kids get covid too. Pfizer has applied to Health Canada for approval for use with 5-11 year olds (lower dose) and BC is already accepting bookings in anticipation of the approval being granted. If there is good uptake in this new age group, that will halve the number of unvaxed. Employers are starting to make vaccination mandatory so that pushes a few more people to get off the couch and get the shot. Eventually we will be left with the truly vaccine resistant, maybe 4-5% of the population.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Interesting euphemism.

:rolleyes:

Black bear in my backyard in Sun Peaks

_GEN1938.JPG

_GEN1952.JPG

_GEN1984.JPG

Captain Caveman

Hard Yards
Sep 24, 2020
Interesting experience last night.
a group was over for Canadian Thanksgiving. After they left I decided to take Mr Hudson out through the ski room on the lower floor for his last walk. Got him leashed up, flipped on the lights and opened the door. Immediately he went into attack mode. About 1 m away was a young black bear by the door. Luckily I had him on a leash. The bear took off faster than I thought they could move.
Then I realized that there was a pile of pumpkins and winter squash by the door.
I had forgotten to bring them in from the market and that was what he was after.

You people are very optimistic about coming over. I just can’t see it happening with what is going on.
Hopefully we prove this wrong and at 8.16 in the front of the lift line you will see me in my blue jacket.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
What is going on is the unvaxed are perpetuating the pandemic. Australia will find this soon too. BC is over 80% fully vaxed but still 700+ new cases a day and serious numbers in hospital and ICU (less than 5% of those are vaccinated).

Growth of cases has leveled off but still the hospitals are stretched like never before. Unvaxed parents are infecting their children, and then other kids get covid too. Pfizer has applied to Health Canada for approval for use with 5-11 year olds (lower dose) and BC is already accepting bookings in anticipation of the approval being granted. If there is good uptake in this new age group, that will halve the number of unvaxed. Employers are starting to make vaccination mandatory so that pushes a few more people to get off the couch and get the shot. Eventually we will be left with the truly vaccine resistant, maybe 4-5% of the population.
SLy, the problem in OZ is we are heading for 85+% maybe even 90%. I think the cases will ease, here. The privilege of being isolated and getting everyone to vax to get let out.. good strategy. All of your comments could apply to Oz as well.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
SLy, the problem in OZ is we are heading for 85+% maybe even 90%. I think the cases will ease, here. The privilege of being isolated and getting everyone to vax to get let out.. good strategy. All of your comments could apply to Oz as well.
McGoo is still targeting 200%, before making us all wear full ppe again

Reactions: Reetro

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
A year ago, the epidemiologists reckoned 70-80% vaccination rate would give effective herd immunity and envisaged it would all be over by about now. Delta has changed the rules, the vaxed can still contract and spread the virus, and young, healthy unvaxed are getting sick and dying. Third shots are already being administered to Canadians with compromised immune systems.

Nothing about this is unique to Canada, so you can expect this to drag on in Australia just as it is elsewhere. The only serious challenge is to somehow throttle cases to a level that allows the hospital system to operate within its capacity so that there are beds available for all the myriad non covid ailments and surgeries.

Reactions: Chalkie

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
The ultimate objective is 100% of the population to be enrolled in the program.
The booster will be required to maintain their Loyalty Rewards Card.
When the next virus rolls through we will update our card with a new series of shots.
Simple as that.
The reward is the ability to gain back one’s freedom to travel and participate in society.
Based upon this goal, we may need to rachet up the punishment on the unclean to force the last 10% to comply.

This ski season could be another local’s event. I’m being a realist here. I’m seeing the signs already.
The respiratory illness season will be used to pit one group against the other. Great and effective tactic. We all take comfort in blaming the unjabbed. Travel will open then close to allow more vengeance on the unjabbed who are responsible for the closure.
Hope this post does not offend anyone as it is the reality of the New Normal. Probably get taken down.
There are no unjabbed from Oz on this thread so it should not offend.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

I'd add this to what the esteemed @sly_karma has said.

The current state of BC's pandemic is that there are significant variations between different regions. In areas of lower vaccination rates (and I daresay lower public health requirement compliance rates), case counts and hospitalisations are higher. In areas of higher vaccination rates and better public health requirement compliance, case counts and hospitalisations are lower. This could have implications for particular ski hills, depending on their location.

Whistler Blackcomb (and the Vancouver "mountains" Cypress, Grouse and Seymour) are in the Vancouver Coastal health region. The local health area for Whistler, Howe Sound, has a 95% D1 12+ eligibles; 86% D2 12+ eligibles vaccination rate. The 7 day moving average of new cases for the Vancouver Coastal health region is 61 (and falling). Vail Resorts, the owner of WB, has mandated vaccination for all resort staff and has published its operational protocols for the forthcoming season (see Whistler 21-22 Covid Protocols). Proof of vaccination will be required to access dining and drinking areas (including outdoor patios and bars). It will not be required for gondolas, chair or surface lifts or to access indoor "public" facilities such as toilets. Capacity of lifts will be normal. Masks must be worn inside gondolas, but not on chair or surface lifts.

Sun Peaks, Big White, Revelstoke, Panorama, Silver Star and others are in the Interior health region. The Interior health region has variable vaccination rates, ranging from 93% D1 12+ eligibles in Revelstoke to 71% D1 12+ eligibles in Kettle Valley (the local health authority for Big White). The seven day moving average of new cases for the Interior health region is 110 (and falling).

Because of its higher case counts and lower vaccination rates, the Interior health region is under more extensive public health restrictions than is Vancouver Coastal health region, although these are mostly about indoor gathering and event capacity and numbers. Big White's Covid protocols differ to Whistler's, and at Big White masks must be worn on all lifts and in lift queues. Kicking Horse is the same. In contrast, Sun Peaks is encouraging but not mandating masks in lift queues.

The upshot at the moment is there is not a uniform approach to Covid matters by the BC ski resorts, and public health orders about gatherings and events differ between health regions and have drafting ambiguities that leave some matters open to interpretation. Whether the differences between the resorts remain or whether the Chief Provincial Health Officer decides to implement a more uniform approach remains to be seen.

As things currently stand, there's no reason not to expect a ski season to start in BC and, with any luck, to not end early. The "early" end to the season last year at Whistler on the last weekend in March reflected outbreaks of cases in resorts (notably Whistler and Big White) arising directly from unvaccinated people (mostly staff) flouting public health orders on indoor gatherings. Things should be different this season - staff vaccination mandates are in place at least for Whistler and Big White, and proof of vaccination is required for everyone to access restaurants and bars.

Right now, the resorts are selling passes and taking accommodation bookings. Canada is open to fully vaccinated Australians.

If things change, I'm sure those of us who live in BC will endeavour to report them in a timely way.

Captain Caveman

Hard Yards
Sep 24, 2020
The ultimate objective is 100% of the population to be enrolled in the program.
The booster will be required to maintain their Loyalty Rewards Card.
When the next virus rolls through we will update our card with a new series of shots.
Simple as that.
The reward is the ability to gain back one’s freedom to travel and participate in society.
Based upon this goal, we may need to rachet up the punishment on the unclean to force the last 10% to comply.

This ski season could be another local’s event. I’m being a realist here. I’m seeing the signs already.
The respiratory illness season will be used to pit one group against the other. Great and effective tactic. We all take comfort in blaming the unjabbed. Travel will open then close to allow more vengeance on the unjabbed who are responsible for the closure.
Hope this post does not offend anyone as it is the reality of the New Normal. Probably get taken down.
There are no unjabbed from Oz on this thread so it should not offend.
Just imagine starting mumblings of a no double Dose no covid related hospital care.
Yes I know how insensitive that sounds.

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
A year ago, the epidemiologists reckoned 70-80% vaccination rate would give effective herd immunity and envisaged it would all be over by about now. Delta has changed the rules, the vaxed can still contract and spread the virus, and young, healthy unvaxed are getting sick and dying. Third shots are already being administered to Canadians with compromised immune systems.

Nothing about this is unique to Canada, so you can expect this to drag on in Australia just as it is elsewhere. The only serious challenge is to somehow throttle cases to a level that allows the hospital system to operate within its capacity so that there are beds available for all the myriad non covid ailments and surgeries.
Well like it or not NSW is open for all Aussies to come home by 1 November NSW 76% 1st and 64% DD.. 90% Australia will have first dose in 17 days. NSW has 91.4% first dose over 16 .. It pretty impressive. ACT opened and Victoria starting to open even with 2000 cases a day/

Its a flu now. Life goes on. Not really a pandemic in Australia , thanks to our isolation. Not like 1920 anyway.

Reactions: Captain Caveman

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Its a flu now. Life goes on. Not really a pandemic in Australia , thanks to our isolation. Not like 1920 anyway.
Quoted for later examination. Everyone here thought the same thing as we rocketed toward 80%. The Alberta govt actually declared pandemic over, now covid is merely endemic. 3 months later, having fallen a bit short of the full 80% vax rate, Alberta's fourth wave was the worst of them all. Hospitals and ICUs overloaded with unvaxed and healthy people in their 20s, 30s, 40s dying. Sask is one the same trajectory.

90% vaxed means over 2.5 million adults are unvaxed, plus children. So a population of roughly 4 million Australians in which the virus can still circulate and propagate. It's enough to drag this out for a long time yet. Delta has such a high viral load that plenty of vaxed people become infected, albeit usually without significant symptoms.

I'm happy to hear that Australia plans to reopen for travel, but I've decided to pass on a trip home this coming (northern) winter. Really would screw me over if hotel quarantine was reinstated suddenly when govt gets panicky in the face of a very strained hospital system.

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Quoted for later examination. Everyone here thought the same thing as we rocketed toward 80%. The Alberta govt actually declared pandemic over, now covid is merely endemic. 3 months later, having fallen a bit short of the full 80% vax rate, Alberta's fourth wave was the worst of them all. Hospitals and ICUs overloaded with unvaxed and healthy people in their 20s, 30s, 40s dying. Sask is one the same trajectory.

90% vaxed means over 2.5 million adults are unvaxed, plus children. So a population of roughly 4 million Australians in which the virus can still circulate and propagate. It's enough to drag this out for a long time yet. Delta has such a high viral load that plenty of vaxed people become infected, albeit usually without significant symptoms.

I'm happy to hear that Australia plans to reopen for travel, but I've decided to pass on a trip home this coming (northern) winter. Really would screw me over if hotel quarantine was reinstated suddenly when govt gets panicky in the face of a very strained hospital system.
I dont see the problem. We have the vacc with boosters going forward. From Nov 1 Aussies coming home to NSW , into Sydney have zero quarantine. We may actually get to less than 500k unvacced. If they get it, its their choice. If we get it, we get over it. Some silly things still happening. Time to move on.
The big thing they have done here is forced vaccination by keeping people at home. They are turning out in droves. The figures are good,, probably higher that USA and Canada by now.

You must understand the vacc does not stop you getting the virus. & that its not something to be scarred of if you have the vacc, The figures of hospitalisation here is small. its expected to rise.
We will not make skiing in Canada this winter, we may get there for a summer trip , lets see how my retirement plans go. It appears the real figure of non vaxxers + those who cant get vaxxed is closer to 5%

I doubt we will panic, we will just follow the lead of US , Canada & UK , starting from a much higher base of vacc, Hospitals are nowhere near maxed yet , Lest review in February.

But flights out start 1/11 and dd vaxed are welcome home with no quarantine from that date. That should solve any overseas who are stuck there., The usual PSR text inbound

We are heading in the right direction very quickly. starting at 70-80% is a much better deal

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
I dont see the problem. We have the vacc with boosters going forward. From Nov 1 Aussies coming home to NSW , into Sydney have zero quarantine. We may actually get to less than 500k unvacced. If they get it, its their choice. If we get it, we get over it. Some silly things still happening. Time to move on.
The big thing they have done here is forced vaccination by keeping people at home. They are turning out in droves. The figures are good,, probably higher that USA and Canada by now.

You must understand the vacc does not stop you getting the virus. & that its not something to be scarred of if you have the vacc, The figures of hospitalisation here is small. its expected to rise.
We will not make skiing in Canada this winter, we may get there for a summer trip , lets see how my retirement plans go. It appears the real figure of non vaxxers + those who cant get vaxxed is closer to 5%

I doubt we will panic, we will just follow the lead of US , Canada & UK , starting from a much higher base of vacc, Hospitals are nowhere near maxed yet , Lest review in February.

But flights out start 1/11 and dd vaxed are welcome home with no quarantine from that date. That should solve any overseas who are stuck there., The usual PSR text inbound

We are heading in the right direction very quickly. starting at 70-80% is a much better deal

There are a couple of "problems" to which @sly_karma alludes. First, overall vax rates aren't the alpha and omega. Secondly, the absence of uniform approaches between the Australian states and the Federal government makes for an uncertain situation. What happens if one arrives in Sydney, travels to Victoria to see family and then there's an outbreak in Victoria and NSW says "no entries from Victoria"? Are visitors expected to stay put in Victoria, notwithstanding they have tickets departing from Sydney?

It's pretty clear to those of us based overseas that the various Australian jurisdictions cannot be relied on to have a uniform approach, and that means things need to settle down and get clearer.

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
There are a couple of "problems" to which @sly_karma alludes. First, overall vax rates aren't the alpha and omega. Secondly, the absence of uniform approaches between the Australian states and the Federal government makes for an uncertain situation. What happens if one arrives in Sydney, travels to Victoria to see family and then there's an outbreak in Victoria and NSW says "no entries from Victoria"? Are visitors expected to stay put in Victoria, notwithstanding they have tickets departing from Sydney?

It's pretty clear to those of us based overseas that the various Australian jurisdictions cannot be relied on to have a uniform approach, and that means things need to settle down and get clearer.
The premiers all signed an agreement to not have closed borders or lockdowns affecting the whole state. The scenarios you guys are painting can happen in US or Canada. But how can it be worse then over there.. We are opening at a much higher DD. We expect to get 90-95% Dd. We have done all we can. Its a flu now, lets move on until it works out different. We will have a uniform approach once QLD falls into line in about 5 weeks when the vacc rate catches up. Bear in mind that is a state that has had a 1000 cases and very little spread. They all signed the agreement with the feds.

Everything you say could happen to me in Canada or the USA.. Just as easily. Our systems of government are a problem.

I cant see skiing Canada until 2023 , when I will be retired. We can take our time and ski multiple resorts

US, Canada & UK opened to early. Better to have stayed closed a little longer and pushed up the vacc rates. For eg If QLD opens at 70% , they may struggle to get folk to vaxx..

It will settle done and be clearer in the new year. We hope no new variants

Flights remain static , you can get there.
A gem on January 15
1634469934704.png

& home 16 Feb , could be tempted.. If it settles here. Should be sorted by mdi year.
1634470112928.png

• Wow
Reactions: PiffSki and Kash

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
I just pushed the button on QFF points seats SYD-YVR for end Feb for 2 weeks taking advantage of the additional reward availability today.

At least 8 days on snow and Sun Peaks gets my vote. The place looks magic and prices look reasonable (given i have 3 kids under 11 in ski school).

Ridden Big White and Whistler before but not that keen to return to any epic pass resorts.

Woohoo, very excited!

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
I just pushed the button on QFF points seats SYD-YVR for end Feb for 2 weeks taking advantage of the additional reward availability today.

At least 8 days on snow and Sun Peaks gets my vote. The place looks magic and prices look reasonable (given i have 3 kids under 11 in ski school).

Ridden Big White and Whistler before but not that keen to return to any epic pass resorts.

Woohoo, very excited!
I am with you Kash, Maybe not 2022, but 2023 onwards , We did those 3 resorts for 25 days skiing in 2019 2020. Chrissy at BWQ was good, New Years at Whistler for the 10 days free skiing..

Yes Team Sun Peaks 41900 points + $170 per ticket..
My 1.5 Million pts are going to get a workout!
We might get over mid year.

Reactions: Kash

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Folks. Help school me on Sun Peaks please.

Apart from banter and straight out BS (expected) where would I stay in Sun Peaks.

Thinking around February 2023 and for up to 4 weeks.

A decent sized 1 bedroom self contained with close walking proximity to lifts and food / bars etc. Not keen on driving to ski once on site.

Is that possible there?

Thanks…..

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018

Apart from banter and straight out BS (expected) where would I stay in Sun Peaks.

A decent sized 1 bedroom self contained with close walking proximity to lifts and food / bars etc. Not keen on driving to ski once on site.

Is that possible there?

Thanks…..
Check out three bears chalet.
It’s a Chalet split into large upstairs section for family ( we’ve stayed there before and will go back again post covid) and a seperate downstairs unit that would suit you.
Good views to Morrisey.
Walk down to the village in 5 minutes, ski in ski out.
Owners are top people- Len and Rebeccajo.
Next door is ‘dancing frog’ with a similar setup but a bit more pricey.
You can google both and talk to the owners directly.
If you email ‘top of the mountain’ real estate, they will also help.
Excellent service there.
There are plenty of options.

Reactions: Reetro and SMSkier

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Check out three bears chalet.
It’s a Chalet split into large upstairs section for family ( we’ve stayed there before and will go back again post covid) and a seperate downstairs unit that would suit you.
Good views to Morrisey.
Walk down to the village in 5 minutes, ski in ski out.
Owners are top people- Len and Rebeccajo.
Next door is ‘dancing frog’ with a similar setup but a bit more pricey.
You can google both and talk to the owners directly.
If you email ‘top of the mountain’ real estate, they will also help.
Excellent service there.
There are plenty of options.
Thank you

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra

Is that possible there?

Thanks…..
Centrally located in the village and self-contained: I’d suggest Fireside (short ski through the village to the lifts, and almost ski back in. - just have to take skis off to get across the road), Coast Sundance (right in front of the Sundance lift so ski in and ski out), or Hearthstone, just behind Coast. Hearthstone had the roomiest loft apartment, while the room at Coast was only a room and a bit small and stuffy. I’ve stayed in all 3. Some rooms may only have kitchenettes (ie no oven and a small fridge) while others will have something more comprehensive. All have parking underneath but some will charge for this. All also have ski storage facilities. Sun Peaks is a lovely resort with a great mix of terrain. You won’t go wrong here!

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Hmm. Food for thought. Off the top of my head, I think the Spanish Flu lasted 3 years?

Quite a lot of Aussies miss the point that Delta lives in the nose even in the vaccinated, so the vaccinated can still spread it to the unvaxxed.

I'd love to head over this coming winter, but I think I'll hold off another year.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Yes, call it the Delta factor. BC has over 90% with D1/86% D2, but still 600 new cases a day and crammed hospitals. The authorities are waiting for Health Canada to approve Pfizer kids dosage and have a rollout program ready to for the 5-11 age group as soon as it happens. A far cry from a year ago when it was postulated that 70-80% vax uptake would put an end to the pandemic.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth

Is that possible there?

Thanks…..
depends if you want chalet/condo style or a hotel/condo, and what your budget is.

Fireside Lodge is inside the main village and is a 3 storey hotel/condo style that is well priced, and you ski through the cwntre of the village to get to the lifts. A shared hottub. Great location for bars and restaurants.

Over the road from that is Kookaburra Lodge, similar concept but much newer, nicer and costlier.

Alternatively if you want a bit more privacy, a 10 minute walk to the village, somewhere like Stones Throw or Settlers Crossing, are groups of single story condos, will cost a bit more, than Fireside Lodge, but is a bit more spacious and private and includes private hottubs. ski-in/out to the new Orient Chair and Morrissey Chair.

Have a look at www.topofthemountain.ca to see a range of options, locations and pricing,and for a four week booking, you could readily score a 10% discount on published pricing. Book for 30 days and you could knock another 10% off because you dont pay a short term rental tax.

Feel free to PM me directly if you want more detailsor ideas

Reactions: SMSkier

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Sawtell, NSW
Our family of 4 (kids 10 and 8 then) stayed in Fireside for 3 weeks in December 2019. The building is a little tired, but the rooms are a really good size, great value and the location is very good. As Gareth mentioned, top of the mountain has several properties available in Fireside. I have read some reviews complaining about the noise in Fireside, but it wasn't an issue at all for us. Just a point of note, you mentioned going to bars etc. If you are looking for big nights to 3am dancing on tables, then Sun Peaks is definitely not for you. A few beers around a fireplace, friendly people and good cheap food? Then perfect IMHO.

Good luck.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd

Is that possible there?

Thanks…..
Sorry mate ....... I have a good relationship with Al the Mayor, and have had you added to the "Sun Peaks Ban List".

Sun Peaks needs a little controversy. Not your, very pretty, marshmallow posts that get 300 likes. You just won't fit in, mate.

Stick with Epic Vail mate. I'm doing you a favour here. :emoji_blush:

............ Or whatever the peeps above said. But you'll need to get your likes to posts ratio down. 10 likes per post is a hideous look, mate. :p

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW

Is that possible there?

Thanks…
That's exactly what I was looking for, and found, in 2017.

With all due respect to @gareth_oau, his requirements are different due to travelling in a group of 4 to 8 and his usual accommodation is a larger unit further out from the village.

The 2 best moderately priced ski-in/ski-out options are, hands down, Cahilty and Coast Sundance. The Grand is probably equally convenient, but much more expensive.

Cahilty has 2 ski storage areas, a small one near the back door which is super convenient, and the main area in the basement, requiring the minor inconvenience of a walk through the carpark and up a flight of stairs to get to the snow.

Coast Sundance has its ski storage off the lobby, as close to the snow as you can get.

Against that, some guests at Coast Sundance have found the noise from the bar annoying. Cahilty, when I was there, strictly enforced quiet time after 10pm. And it's a long building, with room numbers up to about 60 on each floor. Rooms from 40 to 60, approximately, are on the far side of reception from the bar, so are quieter and that end of the building is warmer.

Cahilty is also very close to the mini-mart and bottle shop. People will tell you not to bother with the Bluebird Market and get your groceries from Kamloops, but I got everything I needed (except Wasabi) from Bluebird to self-cater for the vast majority of my stay. I probably ate out only twice a week.

I did 5½ weeks solo in Sun Peaks and a week in Whistler Blackcomb without a car.

Cahilty has a range of accommodation from hotel room/studio style to 1 (and maybe 2?) bedroom units and loft units. I had unit 453, loft unit on the top floor. Very roomy for 1 or 2, some 50m² IIRC. With the bonus of being next door to Nancy and Al.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I'm researching too.
If there for a 4 or 5 week stay I'm sure I'll want to eat in sometimes. (Other times will be quest at @Taipan ).
My group would have no car. Is it possible to get to Kamloops by public transport for groceries?
Also what $$$$ are we talking for an early bird season pass please?

Reactions: Taipan

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
That's exactly what I was looking for, and found, in 2017.

With all due respect to @gareth_oau, his requirements are different due to travelling in a group of 4 to 8 and his usual accommodation is a larger unit further out from the village.

The 2 best moderately priced ski-in/ski-out options are, hands down, Cahilty and Coast Sundance. The Grand is probably equally convenient, but much more expensive.

Cahilty has 2 ski storage areas, a small one near the back door which is super convenient, and the main area in the basement, requiring the minor inconvenience of a walk through the carpark and up a flight of stairs to get to the snow.

Coast Sundance has its ski storage off the lobby, as close to the snow as you can get.

Against that, some guests at Coast Sundance have found the noise from the bar annoying. Cahilty, when I was there, strictly enforced quiet time after 10pm. And it's a long building, with room numbers up to about 60 on each floor. Rooms from 40 to 60, approximately, are on the far side of reception from the bar, so are quieter and that end of the building is warmer.

Cahilty is also very close to the mini-mart and bottle shop. People will tell you not to bother with the Bluebird Market and get your groceries from Kamloops, but I got everything I needed (except Wasabi) from Bluebird to self-cater for the vast majority of my stay. I probably ate out only twice a week.

I did 5½ weeks solo in Sun Peaks and a week in Whistler Blackcomb without a car.

Cahilty has a range of accommodation from hotel room/studio style to 1 (and maybe 2?) bedroom units and loft units. I had unit 453, loft unit on the top floor. Very roomy for 1 or 2, some 50m² IIRC. With the bonus of being next door to Nancy and Al.
not always, 4 of our trips have just been two of us. I just like a bit a homely space if we are there for 4 weeks.

And I'm sure @SMSkier will need something largish to bring his 100 guests back to after the bars have closed!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass