Snow Report Sun Peaks 2022 – 2023 Plans, Trip Reports, Pics and Conditions.

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Our accom connection in BW has made contact and looks like we are close to pulling the trigger. Just need to sort with HR

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Our accom connection in BW has made contact and looks like we are close to pulling the trigger. Just need to sort with HR
if you are in Banff, you have to go up the Gondola on Mt Sulphur, a great experience with spectacular views, and a restuarant for lunch on top too. However try to time it wisely because I think it's closed for a week around New Year?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
Managed to book Qantas business classic reward seats, Canberra to Vancouver via Tokyo. Connections not real good but can put up with that in a business lounge. Quite a lot of availability on JAL but can be a problem to book on QF website. JAL availability will only show under multi city bookings. You can search on JAL for availability then plug in segments on QF multi city. Would not complete booking, errored at final stage on QF website and had to call. Then would not ticket and 2 further calls required. Luckily no wait times on QF call centre over Easter, amazing. Waited 4 hours earlier in the week before call dropped out. Quite an ordeal but worth it, happy to provide further info. I am tall and with Premium economy currently around $5k each this was a better option. QF still blocking all exit row seats on international flights

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
QF have blocked all exit rows on international flights. Some people who managed to book have turned up and found they had been moved to normal seat.
I'd suggest some people booking Exit row seats may not be physically able to assist in an emergency, hence they need to see the person and vet them at check in, to make sure they are in reasonable physical condition.

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Good afternoon! I am after some advice. We are spending a week in Sun Peaks over Christmas. Flying into Vancouver and then shuttling privately with a party of 10.
any recommendations of shuttle service return.
more importantly we are booked till 28th Dec Sun Peaks.
is it advisable to allow an extra day in case of bad weather?( Our flight won’t be leaving till night). or should we book a night in Vancouver and leave the next day?

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Us personally always plan to leave the resort 1 day earlier than flight and overnight in Vancouver or 'near' Vancouver. Sometimes a 4-5hr drive could turn into 8 or even o/night. If you can be flexible do so, check drive BC in the days leading up to departure and then make the call. If it's beauitful blue skys you can drive straight through...if it's an awesome ski year it could be a hassle.

Reactions: cqen2l and skivet

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Good afternoon! I am after some advice. We are spending a week in Sun Peaks over Christmas. Flying into Vancouver and then shuttling privately with a party of 10.
is it advisable to allow an extra day in case of bad weather?( Our flight won’t be leaving till night). or should we book a night in Vancouver and leave the next day?
In over 10 trips to Nth America in winter I have never had a trip without disruptions and delays caused by weather. It is not just local weather - if there are delays in the East that cascades across the whole continent as planes are not where they are meant to be. I allow for a couple of days touristing in the city of final departure as a buffer.

Reactions: cqen2l and skivet
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

I'm going add to what @Crystal and @Legs Akimbo have said. My recent first hand experience (avalanche blocking Hwy 1) was I had an unexpected overnight stay in Golden. That's not the Sun Peaks road of course but experienced BC folk (see especially @sly_karma's Driving in Canada thread) say don't have an iron-clad schedule. The advice to allow an extra day is very sound.

Reactions: Retro2 and skivet

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
umm ahhh that's profiling
From the article.

Most of the exit row seats on Qantas’ wide-body aircraft are directly opposite rear-facing jump seats where flight attendants sit during take-off, landing and sometimes also mid-flight if there is turbulence.

Because cabin crew members may be seated here at any stage of the flight, Qantas has made the decision to make the seats “unserviceable” and not available for passenger use at all. The physical seats are still there, but passengers may not move into them – even during the flight.

Reactions: cqen2l

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
From the article.

Most of the exit row seats on Qantas’ wide-body aircraft are directly opposite rear-facing jump seats where flight attendants sit during take-off, landing and sometimes also mid-flight if there is turbulence.

Because cabin crew members may be seated here at any stage of the flight, Qantas has made the decision to make the seats “unserviceable” and not available for passenger use at all. The physical seats are still there, but passengers may not move into them – even during the flight.
;)

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Sawtell, NSW
Highly recommended.

Reactions: skivet and Roymond

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Managed to book Qantas business classic reward seats, Canberra to Vancouver via Tokyo. Connections not real good but can put up with that in a business lounge. Quite a lot of availability on JAL but can be a problem to book on QF website. JAL availability will only show under multi city bookings. You can search on JAL for availability then plug in segments on QF multi city. Would not complete booking, errored at final stage on QF website and had to call. Then would not ticket and 2 further calls required. Luckily no wait times on QF call centre over Easter, amazing. Waited 4 hours earlier in the week before call dropped out. Quite an ordeal but worth it, happy to provide further info. I am tall and with Premium economy currently around $5k each this was a better option. QF still blocking all exit row seats on international flights
Yep, I have noticed the Qantas classic rewards bookings are very, very flaky at the moment. Often doesn't show everything. When it does it sometimes won't let you actually select something it is showing on the screen. Last week loads of Syd-Lhr Qatar business class seats showed up, then promptly disappeared again .... very frustrating. Problems persist on multiple browsers over multiple devices.

Reactions: Retro2

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
Yep, I have noticed the Qantas classic rewards bookings are very, very flaky at the moment. Often doesn't show everything. When it does it sometimes won't let you actually select something it is showing on the screen. Last week loads of Syd-Lhr Qatar business class seats showed up, then promptly disappeared again .... very frustrating. Problems persist on multiple browsers over multiple devices.
Robbo, odd, I have the opposite feeling. But then I don't bother with business.. I am looking more at Singapore JAL and other airlines , still through frequents

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
Garbage disposal at Sun Peaks. I read that all garbage must be dropped off at the transfer station and complexes do not have a central garbage collection point. I have never found this at other NA resorts where there are always bear proof garbage bins or a garbage room in the building. This presents a problem when staying for an extended period without a car. Is this really a problem at Sun Peaks?

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Garbage disposal at Sun Peaks. I read that all garbage must be dropped off at the transfer station and complexes do not have a central garbage collection point. I have never found this at other NA resorts where there are always bear proof garbage bins or a garbage room in the building. This presents a problem when staying for an extended period without a car. Is this really a problem at Sun Peaks?
Same set up at the hill we stay at. A short walk to the transfer station every few days doesn't bother us. Actually sending the teens works well.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Short walk? To the Burf??
mmmm that's a bit far from the village yes. Ours is ~400-500m walk from most accom in the village. The houses on the upper roads tend to have their own cars or garbage removal systems in place wether it be by housekeeping services or a dump run by one of the clever entrepreneurial locals.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
when we book through topofthemountain, for an extended period, they would come and change the sheets and take our rubbish
Good service.

It does actually sound like a real annoyance though for others booking privately without a car.

Anyone else got some tips as to how they manage this?

KneeDeep

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2004
Canberra
Good service.

It does actually sound like a real annoyance though for others booking privately without a car.

Anyone else got some tips as to how they manage this?
I arrange for garbage to be collected once a week when booking. Normally find cleaners are in the area servicing other units.

Reactions: Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

One of Us
Sep 24, 2020
Sounds to me like Sun Peaks has a fundamental garbage collection problem. Deal breaker for some.
Not really an issue if you are staying in a hotel. All garbage is collected daily. Not going to a resort because of garbage collection being a deal breaker? Sheesh
As for the condos it can be collected as much as you need but at a small cost.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Mid-winter conditions April 19 right down to the village.

In the past 24 hours 10+ cm in the village.
Likely 15+ cm in the Alpine.
Still snowing at 7pm.
I could see the skiers on OSV this morning.
26843333-9FCE-4153-9D00-6C6C5D839356.jpeg
1CB85131-7F8A-4A3D-BB48-AFF19D00BACB.jpeg

ski

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2011
hello - we're thinking of doing a tri-resort trip in Dec/Jan 2022/23. Possibly BIg White, Silver Star then Sun Peaks. We don't want a hire car and are looking into shuttles between the resorts. We've hit a bit of a stumbling block with the Silver Star - Sun Peaks transfer - we can't get any response from the shuttle company.

Is there anyone that's had any experience with this shuttle, if so, was it a good experience, do you have any recommedations? Thanks in advance for any advice

KneeDeep

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2004
Canberra
hello - we're thinking of doing a tri-resort trip in Dec/Jan 2022/23. Possibly BIg White, Silver Star then Sun Peaks. We don't want a hire car and are looking into shuttles between the resorts. We've hit a bit of a stumbling block with the Silver Star - Sun Peaks transfer - we can't get any response from the shuttle company.

Is there anyone that's had any experience with this shuttle, if so, was it a good experience, do you have any recommedations? Thanks in advance for any advice
Did the same many years ago, travel agent organised transfers. No problem.

bluess57

Addicted
Aug 2, 2014

I shuttle transferred from Sun Peaks to SilverStar back in 2017 - possibly Sun shuttles iirc. Unfortunately there was only 1 other booking with a 5:30-6am departure as the other party was on a flight departing Kelowna, and they could only drop me in Vernon. $50CAD taxi ride up to SS.
Maybe look at Revelstoke as another option

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using