Snow Report Sun Peaks 2022 – 2023 Plans, Trip Reports, Pics and Conditions.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd

Time to get it going !!!!

SUN PEAKS 2022 – 2023

1647750898272.png

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/

I'm in. So let's get all the usual, comments, gossip, questions and oh so important, pics to get up in the groove

The Crewlist !

Taipan ... Seasoned Live in.,
Roymond ...... Dec 28 for 16 nights
Lady Penelope ...... Jan 13th. - 27th .... Hearthstone
Astro ........ Jan 15th - Feb 10th ........ Coast Sundance.
Davec1 ......... Family of 4. Jan 23 - 30 ....... Snow Creek Village
johnski ......... Jan 2 - Jan 11 (2 adults plus kids 5 and 8 ) ..... Coast Sundance
Normo .......... 1st - 15th Feb ...... Coast Sundance
Incider .......... 7th to 21st January ...... Coast Sundance
Tinker ......... Dec 23rd to Jan 26th ....... Stones Throw
JLA ........... 18 Jan to 8 Feb ....... crew total of 9 ..... Trails Edge
Stig ........... 18 Jan to 8 Feb ........ 29 Trappers Landing
Retread ....... Jan 2 - Jan 27 ............ 4 of us. Stones Throw.
Captain Caveman ....... Jan 20 for circa 5 weeks.
Bigmac ......... 29 Jan to 3 Mar........ Stones Throw
Skivet ........ 21st-28th December...... Crew of 11 ...... Sundance Drive
Copakid ......... booked it 3 Jan to 17 ...... Settlers
Retro ...... 5 days from 31/12 ....... TBA
Sly ...... Weekends TBA.
Lonsdale ...... Mon 30 January to Monday 6 February ....... Timberline
snow75 ...... 26th Jan -13th Feb ... Coast Sundance
Hoodie ........ 21 Jan out 12 Feb ......... Cahilty.
Chalkie .......... 3 to 11 March
TassieJay ........... 31 Jan to 11 Feb ...... Crystal Forest
Telezacski ......... Jan 8th to the 22nd ....... private residence Sunburst drive

Any others at this stage ??

I've filled in dates for the ones I know.

Daily Forumite's meet ups

08:25 ... Sundance Chair (you snooze,... you lose !! ;) )
09:00 ... Loading area for the Bubble Chair
10:45 ... Big Brekkie at Sunburst Lodge (Breakfast menu stops at 11am)

Extreme Team meet ups

14:00 .... Loading area for the Bubble Chair. Will confirm each day in this thread when I'm in town.
(This involves just finding the most challenging terrain. Hunting out any residual powder. And getting to some of the more inaccessible terrain, like Gils, Under the Burf and Father Toms)

Events !!

Dec/Jan ... Forums Ice Hockey trip

Handy links

http://sunpeaksnews.com/
http://www.kamicabs.ca/

Accommodation

Sun Peaks Resort Accommodations Provided by Top of the Mountain

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/plan-your-trip/accommodations/
http://sunpeaksdirect.com/
http://www.sunpeakscondos.com/
http://www.alluradirect.com/
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/canada/british-columbia
http://www.3klicksaway.com/vacation-rentals-homes.asp?cat=4741
www.topofthemountain.ca
www.3peaksrentals.com

Food !

The All Important Weather !!

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=xss
http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/kamloops/v2c/weather-forecast/47165
http://www.yr.no/place/Canada/British_Columbia/Sun_Peaks/

Ski/Board

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/winter/school/index.aspx
http://www.drivebc.ca/
https://blazerhockey.com/ .. .. All home games start @ 7pm

Worth a look on those “off” days

http://www.bczoo.org/

Last edited:
Reactions: Roymond

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Not really an issue if you are staying in a hotel. All garbage is collected daily. Not going to a resort because of garbage collection being a deal breaker? Sheesh
As for the condos it can be collected as much as you need but at a small cost.
I’m not following here. I was in SP in an apartment. We just took our garbage down to the garbage collection area in the basement car park. I don’t know what happened to it from there!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
hello - we're thinking of doing a tri-resort trip in Dec/Jan 2022/23. Possibly BIg White, Silver Star then Sun Peaks. We don't want a hire car and are looking into shuttles between the resorts. We've hit a bit of a stumbling block with the Silver Star - Sun Peaks transfer - we can't get any response from the shuttle company.

Is there anyone that's had any experience with this shuttle, if so, was it a good experience, do you have any recommedations? Thanks in advance for any advice
I had difficulties making contact with the shuttle companies in December last year just to organise a shuttle from Kamloops to SP. Covid was no doubt wreaking havoc on business and things were in flux. Perhaps now that the seasons are wrapping up it’s much the same thing?

Reactions: ski

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Sunstar Shuttle also very good and reliable. I have used them prob 20 times now
Tasteful were impossible to book due to Covid last season but that could be remedied now
I have had one problem with Sunstar. They had a shuttle full of people who were catching a flight to YVR. They hung around for 20 minutes to pick up some inefficient loser who wasn't ready. I caught my flight, but it is the only time I have been paged by name in an airport.

retread

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2010
Mortdale
@Astro66 the link to sunpeaks grocery not working for me. There is another company that picks up groceries for you in Kamloops and delivers to Sun Peaks - sunpeakscargo.com.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
@Astro66 the link to sunpeaks grocery not working for me. There is another company that picks up groceries for you in Kamloops and delivers to Sun Peaks - sunpeakscargo.com.
Yep used them to deliver my daughters Covid test to Fed Ex! (Don’t ask). Very helpful and great service.

Reactions: retread

Captain Caveman

One of Us
Sep 24, 2020
Sun Peaks cargo.
Great service
Essentially you join Save on Foods and BC Liquor and shop online with them and SPC pick it up and deliver to your door.
It's pretty clear on their website for costs. Anything under your shop total of $225 it's a $36 charge. Anything over that is a flat 16% of the total value plus gst of course

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Zac’s and crew will be at Sunpeaks Jan 8th to the 22nd, staying in a private residence on the other side of the main car park Sunburst drive
Added

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Captain Caveman

One of Us
Sep 24, 2020
Went to the Sydney Ski Travel Expo yesterday.
Was an absolute waste of time. Nothing to gain , nothing to see. No airlines there and no gear to see at all.
Did get to go on a train though as I look for a silver lining somewhere

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Went to the Sydney Ski Travel Expo yesterday.
Was an absolute waste of time. Nothing to gain , nothing to see. No airlines there and no gear to see at all.
Did get to go on a train though as I look for a silver lining somewhere
Wasn’t there %15 off promo for JAL On flights?

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Spoke with an employee from The Grand. A random meeting on a trail. Asked how bookings were going for the Summer. She said it was picking up nicely from a couple of lean years. Better than last year at this time. The lower price hotels get the bus tours. They have returned. I counted 7 buses the other evening. Restaurants are likely busy at those times. They wander the streets after dinner. Nice to see and talk to them.

Here is my 2 cents on the costs of a ski vacation at SPs for next year:

There is a BC minimum wage increase June 1 2022 of $0.45 per hour or 3%. This does not really apply as they need to pay more to attract help who can afford to live in the area. The manpower shortages could become a problem as we get busier. Wages will increase to attract help.

Next ski season food may cost substantially more than 2021-22 even if you prepare your own meals. Everyone appears to be experiencing this wherever they live. You have to eat at home so it's only the mtn premium that you pay. Restaurants are the wild card. Will they be 20% more than last year? Just buying routine groceries in The Loops costs a lot more than even a few months ago. No one will know until the time arrives. No food shortages experienced yet.

Accommodation may be much higher. Propane prices rose 71% Jan 2022. A bit of a shock that may not have been factored into last years rental rates. I'm sure they will be reflected next year with increased prices.

Local regular gas (87) is $2.08 presently in this area. It was roughly $1.50 over last Winter.
This is from memory. So transportation costs will likely increase over last year.

Rental vehicles are insanely expensive due to a lot of reasons. The shortage is common everywhere.

I am out of touch with airfares. All I have heard from locals who have been travelling is that flights have been redirected or cancelled short notice due to staffing shortages and trying to fill those flights that are available. Allow extra time between flights if testing is still a thing next year.

I consider the ski passes to be a deal if purchased early. Where can you get as much skiing in a day as SPs .

Weather:
Here is a photo of the Alpine on May 23. Not a great photo. The weather has been overcast with the precipitation. You could still ski the Alpine with grooming if it was open. The rain in the village was depositing snow at below -2 C temps in the Alpine until now. The base was building. The melt begins on a serious basis now. It's been a cooler Spring. Normally one could do outdoor staining or painting mid-month. Not this year.

Wildlife:
The bears are out and about the village. More sightings than most years at least on our street. The deer are just moving up the valley. The fox contingent have been out hunting Columbian Ground Squirrels. I see them daily.

Real Estate:
I believe we have seen the peak in the village. Could this be the start of a steady decline in this cycle? Time will tell. Prices are always sticky at first.

IMG_0635.jpeg

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Liftblog.com saying new west bowl express quad coming for winter 20024/25. to be built over the next 2 summers.

Sounds like Rebeccajo Owns 3 bears chalet source was spot on.

Nick12 - great find.

Crystal bowl chair they put the footings in 1 year and the towers in the next. Based on that, it would be likely the footings would go in this summer and the towers the following year.

As Hudson says - still a lot of snow up there even at end of May. I wonder whether they would extend the season with so much skiing at Alpine.

So here is the post from Liftblog.

Sun Peaks Plans West Bowl Detachable

May 31, 2022Peter Landsman3 Comments
img_2620.jpg

An eighth Doppelmayr quad chairlift may soon join the Sun Peaks Resort lift fleet. The resort recently applied with the Province of British Columbia for right of way to build a mile long high speed quad in West Bowl, currently home to a disused T-Bar. Sun Peaks retired the West Bowl T-Bar in 2020, leaving the terrain hike-in only. The 1965 Hall was the last remaining non-Doppelmayr lift at Sun Peaks.
westbowlmap.png

Now Sun Peaks plans a much longer detachable quad with an approximately 1,000 foot vertical rise. With a lower bottom terminal and higher top station, the West Bowl Express would significantly improve access to a large variety of underutilized terrain. The province is soliciting public comments on the project through June 24th. If approved, the new lift would be constructed in 2023 and 2024, opening for the 2024-25 ski season.

Captain Caveman

One of Us
Sep 24, 2020
Sounds like Rebeccajo Owns 3 bears chalet source was spot on.

Nick12 - great find.

Crystal bowl chair they put the footings in 1 year and the towers in the next. Based on that, it would be likely the footings would go in this summer and the towers the following year.

As Hudson says - still a lot of snow up there even at end of May. I wonder whether they would extend the season with so much skiing at Alpine.

So here is the post from Liftblog.

Sun Peaks Plans West Bowl Detachable

May 31, 2022Peter Landsman3 Comments
img_2620.jpg

An eighth Doppelmayr quad chairlift may soon join the Sun Peaks Resort lift fleet. The resort recently applied with the Province of British Columbia for right of way to build a mile long high speed quad in West Bowl, currently home to a disused T-Bar. Sun Peaks retired the West Bowl T-Bar in 2020, leaving the terrain hike-in only. The 1965 Hall was the last remaining non-Doppelmayr lift at Sun Peaks.
westbowlmap.png

Now Sun Peaks plans a much longer detachable quad with an approximately 1,000 foot vertical rise. With a lower bottom terminal and higher top station, the West Bowl Express would significantly improve access to a large variety of underutilized terrain. The province is soliciting public comments on the project through June 24th. If approved, the new lift would be constructed in 2023 and 2024, opening for the 2024-25 ski season.
Oooh I like that idea. Not sure some of the die hard locals would love the idea tbh. I predict that their objection would be that it puts more punters on the best terrain. Interesting times ahead. Some sweet terrain out there!!

• Love
Reactions: Taipan

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
This has been an exceptionally cool damp spring. No indication this was on the cards in late March, snowpack was pretty ordinary as you know.

Even when the snow gets deep early on and the base is at or over 300 cm as the official season enters its last couple of weeks, it's almost unheard of for resorts to announce an extended season. Seasonal staff have already committed to other jobs and have given notice on their rental housing. Once daylight saving starts in mid March and the golf courses open down in the valley, lots of season pass holders hang up their skis. Yards and gardens and lawns need work, and the mountain bikes, motorbikes and golf clubs are calling out to them.

The only places that make extended ski seasons work are those close enough to big cities that the diehard fringe are sufficiently numerous to make it pay. In western Canada that is limited to LL/Sunshine (Calgary) and WB (Vancouver and Seattle). At Apex the management have a saying: "Every day we run lifts in April is a day we lose money."

Reactions: skimax and Taipan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
This has been an exceptionally cool damp spring. No indication this was on the cards in late March, snowpack was pretty ordinary as you know.

Even when the snow gets deep early on and the base is at or over 300 cm as the official season enters its last couple of weeks, it's almost unheard of for resorts to announce an extended season. Seasonal staff have already committed to other jobs and have given notice on their rental housing. Once daylight saving starts in mid March and the golf courses open down in the valley, lots of season pass holders hang up their skis. Yards and gardens and lawns need work, and the mountain bikes, motorbikes and golf clubs are calling out to them.

The only places that make extended ski seasons work are those close enough to big cities that the diehard fringe are sufficiently numerous to make it pay. In western Canada that is limited to LL/Sunshine (Calgary) and WB (Vancouver and Seattle). At Apex the management have a saying: "Every day we run lifts in April is a day we lose money."
Yep it's the same equation for how tall a building can be . Top floor is when marginal cost = marginal revenue

Reactions: sly_karma

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
Yep it's the same equation for how tall a building can be . Top floor is when marginal cost = marginal revenue
Not quite. Top floor highest revenue per sqm. Number of floors limited by local council / airport. Usually. But we are digressing....

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Not quite. Top floor highest revenue per sqm. Number of floors limited by local council / airport. Usually. But we are digressing....
Think he means the extra floor at the bottom which makes the top one higher.

We know what he means

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
top floor price is what the developer feels they can squeeze out of the market for views and status

Actual cost of building the top floor is probably not much more than the one beneath it, unless it changes the whole structural requirements

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
top floor price is what the developer feels they can squeeze out of the market for views and status

Actual cost of building the top floor is probably not much more than the one beneath it, unless it changes the whole structural requirements
it does at true marginal costing.
Yes as pointed out up there of course local regs will dictate heights , but my marginal cost marginal revenue comment is still correct , Once you need to go up in steel and foundations an inch over km of steel etc is a biig number.

Reactions: gareth_oau

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Anyone for a game of William Tell?
Gimme that apple and hold my beer….

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
it does at true marginal costing.
Yes as pointed out up there of course local regs will dictate heights , but my marginal cost marginal revenue comment is still correct , Once you need to go up in steel and foundations an inch over km of steel etc is a biig number.
and so you'd hope you can materialise expensive views to sell

Reactions: skimax

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Another media piece on the new high speed detachable quad.

RESORT PROPOSES NEW CHAIR​

Colin Dacre - Jun 1, 2022 / 4:13 pm | Story: 370661
img_3375._p3596018.jpg

Photo: Colin Dacre
Top of Burfield Chair at Sun Peaks
Sun Peaks Ski Resort outside Kamloops has proposed a new high-speed chairlift for the hill’s alpine.
The resort has an application in with the provincial government for a right of way to replace the now-decommissioned West Bowl T-Bar with a much-longer detachable quad lift.
The West Bowl T-Bar was formally retired before the start of last season after operating at its current location since 1992. It was originally installed at Sun Peaks in 1965.
The resort is proposing to install a Doppelmayr detachable quad chairlift roughly double in length the T-bar, opening up new skiable terrain “that is currently underutilized,” said the proposal.
The lift will not actually add any terrain to the resort’s formal controlled recreation area, but will significantly increase the length of runs in the West Bowl.
The resort says it could start site prep this summer and fall with full construction taking place in 2023 and 2024. The lift could come into operation for the 2024/25 season.
The provincial government is currently taking public input on the proposal until June 24.

screen_shot_2022-06-01_at_4.04.49_pm_p3596016.jpg

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
June 17: first day of Summer lift operation.

First three days are snowshoe only.
Wanted to head up to take a few photos.
I’m sure they will be posted to social media.

It’s been a cool Spring. It was 4 C in the morning. Haven’t needed to cut my lawn yet. A light drizzle most days but no warmth. At this rate we may dodge the wildfire season.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
First day of Summer lift ops.
From a neighbour who did not snowshoe.
Some of you will recognize the locations.
7A00CA0A-ECB0-4DBC-A87C-2D68B733F5C7.jpeg
DA3499A9-828D-4912-A5CC-74C7502F2A9F.jpeg
AFD34109-12AE-479A-AC35-CE142232A08F.jpeg
18D8B72C-4DDF-4A3E-905E-117566DD9E9F.jpeg
Is there always that much snow hanging around those areas toward the end of June?

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Is there always that much snow hanging around those areas toward the end of June?
Many years I would ride the chair on the opening weekend just for the ride. I don't remember seeing snow when I exited the lift. Some upper hiking trails were closed until they dried out but I believe the downhill biking was always open. This year the biking is delayed 10 days. That could change though. The photographer did not take shots of the deeper snow. Wish he had. There is still snow on the downhill trails shaded by trees near the top at the level of the Bubble chair.

I have seen drifts of snow on the North facing slopes in the Alpine near the end of July.
Protected areas. Not on any trails.

At the village level, Spring was delayed 2 weeks from average. They did an excellent job of preparing the Front Nine holes on the course on schedule though.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Many years I would ride the chair on the opening weekend just for the ride. I don't remember seeing snow when I exited the lift. Some upper hiking trails were closed until they dried out but I believe the downhill biking was always open. This year the biking is delayed 10 days. That could change though. The photographer did not take shots of the deeper snow. Wish he had. There is still snow on the downhill trails shaded by trees near the top at the level of the Bubble chair.

I have seen drifts of snow on the North facing slopes in the Alpine near the end of July.
Protected areas. Not on any trails.

At the village level, Spring was delayed 2 weeks from average. They did an excellent job of preparing the Front Nine holes on the course on schedule though.
Sun Peaks Rd runs downhill towards Chase, is that open yet?

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
If it was, I'd stay off it and let it dry up. Sloppy mess up there ATM. Unnecessary traffic will just chew it up worse.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
@Hudson looks as if I’ll be in Kamloops around 13-18 August, are you going to be in SP around those dates??
Looked on my calendar and may be in SPs for a couple of those days. Will know more at the beginning of Aug.

If we have a smokey Aug, I escape to Vancouver. Last Summer was brutal.

Are you working in the area?

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Looked on my calendar and may be in SPs for a couple of those days. Will know more at the beginning of Aug.

If we have a smokey Aug, I escape to Vancouver. Last Summer was brutal.

Are you working in the area?
Yes, at New Gold in Kamloops. Flights yet to be booked but will contact you closer to time. Cheers.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using