Snow Report Sun Peaks 2022 – 2023 Plans, Trip Reports, Pics and Conditions.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd

Time to get it going !!!!

SUN PEAKS 2022 – 2023

1647750898272.png

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/

I'm in. So let's get all the usual, comments, gossip, questions and oh so important, pics to get up in the groove

The Crewlist !

Taipan ... Seasoned Live in.,
Roymond ...... Dec 28 for 16 nights ..... Sundance drive - Three bears chalet
Lady Penelope ...... Jan 13th. - 27th .... Hearthstone
Astro ........ Jan 15th - Feb 10th ........ Coast Sundance.
Davec1 ......... Family of 4. Jan 23 - 30 ....... Snow Creek Village
johnski ......... Jan 2 - Jan 11 (2 adults plus kids 5 and 8 ) ..... Coast Sundance
Normo .......... 1st - 15th Feb ...... Coast Sundance
Incider .......... 7th to 21st January ...... Coast Sundance
Tinker ......... Dec 23rd to Jan 26th ....... Stones Throw
JLA ........... 18 Jan to 8 Feb ....... crew total of 9 ..... Trails Edge
Stig ........... 18 Jan to 8 Feb ........ 29 Trappers Landing
Retread ....... Jan 2 - Jan 27 ............ 4 of us. Stones Throw.
Captain Caveman ....... Jan 20 for circa 5 weeks.
Bigmac ......... 29 Jan to 3 Mar........ Stones Throw
Skivet ........ 21st-28th December...... Crew of 11 ...... Sundance Drive
Copakid ......... booked it 3 Jan to 17 ...... Settlers
Retro ...... 5 days from 31/12 ....... TBA
Sly ...... Weekends TBA.
Lonsdale ...... Mon 30 January to Monday 6 February ....... Timberline
snow75 ...... 26th Jan -13th Feb ... Coast Sundance
Hoodie ........ 21 Jan out 12 Feb ......... Cahilty.
Chalkie .......... 3 to 11 March
TassieJay ........... 31 Jan to 11 Feb ...... Crystal Forest
Telezacski ......... Jan 8th to the 22nd ....... private residence Sunburst drive
edsta67 ........ 11th Jan until 8th March .......... 1240 Alpine rd

Any others at this stage ??

I've filled in dates for the ones I know.

Daily Forumite's meet ups

08:25 ... Sundance Chair (you snooze,... you lose !! ;) )
09:00 ... Loading area for the Bubble Chair
10:45 ... Big Brekkie at Sunburst Lodge (Breakfast menu stops at 11am)

Extreme Team meet ups

14:00 .... Loading area for the Bubble Chair. Will confirm each day in this thread when I'm in town.
(This involves just finding the most challenging terrain. Hunting out any residual powder. And getting to some of the more inaccessible terrain, like Gils, Under the Burf and Father Toms)

Events !!

Dec/Jan ... Forums Ice Hockey trip

Handy links

http://sunpeaksnews.com/
http://www.kamicabs.ca/

Accommodation

Sun Peaks Resort Accommodations Provided by Top of the Mountain

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/plan-your-trip/accommodations/
http://sunpeaksdirect.com/
http://www.sunpeakscondos.com/
http://www.alluradirect.com/
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/canada/british-columbia
http://www.3klicksaway.com/vacation-rentals-homes.asp?cat=4741
www.topofthemountain.ca
www.3peaksrentals.com

Food !

https://sunpeakscargo.com/

The All Important Weather !!

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=xss
http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/kamloops/v2c/weather-forecast/47165
http://www.yr.no/place/Canada/British_Columbia/Sun_Peaks/

Ski/Board

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/winter/school/index.aspx
http://www.drivebc.ca/
https://blazerhockey.com/ .. .. All home games start @ 7pm

Worth a look on those “off” days

http://www.bczoo.org/

Last edited:

edsta67

First Runs
Jul 3, 2022
Sunny Coast

Time to get it going !!!!

SUN PEAKS 2022 – 2023

1647750898272.png

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/

I'm in. So let's get all the usual, comments, gossip, questions and oh so important, pics to get up in the groove

The Crewlist !

Taipan ... Seasoned Live in.,
Roymond ...... Dec 28 for 16 nights
Lady Penelope ...... Jan 13th. - 27th .... Coast Sundance
Astro ........ Jan 15th - Feb 10th ........ Coast Sundance.
Billy Bill & Pademelon ........... Dates not set prob mid Feb to mid March.
Davec1 ......... Family of 4. Jan 23 - 31 2023
johnski ......... Jan 2 - Jan 11 (2 adults plus kids 5 and 8 ) ..... Coast Sundance
Normo .......... 1st - 15th Feb ...... Coast Sundance
Incider .......... 7th to 21st January ...... Coast Sundance
Tinker ......... Dec 23rd to Jan 26th ....... Stones Throw
JLA ........... 18 Jan to 8 Feb ....... crew total of 9 ..... Trails Edge
Stig ........... 18 Jan to 8 Feb ........ 29 Trappers Landing
Retread ....... Jan 2 - Jan 27 ............ 4 of us. Stones Throw.
Captain Caveman ....... Jan 20 for circa 5 weeks.
Bigmac ......... 29 Jan to 3 Mar........ Stones Throw
Skivet ........ 21st-28th December...... Crew of 11 ...... Sundance Drive

Any others at this stage ??
Hi guys, friend put us onto this forum when we mentioned SP's. Rach and I (Ed) will be there from 11th Jan until 8th March staying at Cleavage Axe Co. (An AirBnB joint - 1240 Alpine rd)

Looking fwd to meeting some like minded riders/skiers.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Hi guys, friend put us onto this forum when we mentioned SP's. Rach and I (Ed) will be there from 11th Jan until 8th March staying at Cleavage Axe Co. (An AirBnB joint - 1240 Alpine rd)

Looking fwd to meeting some like minded riders/skiers.
added and welcome.

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
@Astro66 - I forgot to add our address to the list- we are up on Sundance drive - Three bears chalet. And anyone in town on the 7th Jan , we will be heading down to watch the hockey/boxing match vs the Kelowna rockets.
Thanks for the heads up @Telezacski !!

Reactions: Astro66

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Travel anomalies: Canada and the US

Not only are lines long in the Departures and Arrivals, there appears to be a growing number of flight cancellations recently.

The usual excuses are weather and staffing. I am relying on experiences by frequent travellers. Processing is exceedingly slow. Staff sickness (positive testing) has caused many last minute cancellations. May need to wait many hours for the next available flight. Then juggling the missed flights down the line can be challenging. Fewer connections the better. Leave time for the above.

In Australia you may not be experiencing fuel shortages as we are seeing in the NE States. Diesel, DEF and related shortages could spread across the country. I haven’t seen the DEF shortage myself. Saw two pallets of DEF at a pit stop up North a few weeks ago. Great supply at the present time.

Fuel shortages don’t appear to be a BC problem at this time. Most of you are flying directly to YVR, a short hop to Kamloops or even a rental car.

Just returned from my annual bike trip to Revelstoke. As was mentioned earlier, axe throwing appears to be popular (at the base of Revy). For anyone who is planning on a BC-Alberta Summer trip, a few days in Revelstoke can be well spent. A delightful rail town in a valley surrounded by mountains.

83782734-9169-4694-AFDF-8AE502EA7F3B.jpeg
903DF2E9-DBE7-4AFF-954B-3488F0362BF6.jpeg
F053BAA5-F565-4333-BB0C-51DD2F6B7243.jpeg

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Just an observation.
When looking up the hill, one sees what at first would appear to be an overabundance of brown dying conifers. In reality it is a number crop of cones on the top third of the tree giving the brown colour.
Usually it means the trees are making a special effort to ensure the survival of the species after a dry or harsh prior season.
image.jpg

Does anyone have any credible theories about the coming Winter? My take is that trees can’t predict the future.

There has been an explosion in the numbers of Columbian Ground Squirrels, chipmunks and robins in particular. Eight nests counted on my property.
image.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Hearing of more flight cancellations all over North America. Last minute flight changes with the resulting luggage that goes a stray. Will this carry over to the Winter?

Heathrow announced recently that they will cap the daily passengers to 100,000 through the Summer months to restore integrity to the travel industry. They are saying it's short staffing as the main cause.

Come our Winter respiratory virus season, it is quite likely that the Up to Date Jabbed rule will come into play to fly within Canada. That requires a top up if you haven't had a shot within 9 months but have had the original series. Aussies and Kiwis should be good to go as you are most likely up to date to fly. The pesky RAT and PCR tests may become a thing again disrupting travel at the last moment. We'll have to see.

My thoughts are if you would like an overseas ski trip, do it within the next couple of years. It may be very difficult to fly after that. Not impossible but challenging. Flight staffing and ever changing shot requirements. The number of flights will need to be reduced to meet the carbon goals. The reality of life these days.

Reactions: oldgeezer

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
I'm trying to get a handle on the coming flu season in the Northern Hemisphere. It may have an impact on how Canada handles arrivals for the coming ski season. I've heard that Australia is having a bad flu season. Any input?

My personal experience is that in my age group I am seeing a rash of Summer colds in BC. I have a theory but it will remain unsaid.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I'm trying to get a handle on the coming flu season in the Northern Hemisphere. It may have an impact on how Canada handles arrivals for the coming ski season. I've heard that Australia is having a bad flu season. Any input?

My personal experience is that in my age group I am seeing a rash of Summer colds in BC. I have a theory but it will remain unsaid.
There's heaps of cold, flu and covid around. Not particularly surprising. Restricting movement (and therefore covid) for two years has left us more exposed to other viruses once we resumed normal interaction again. Life goes on. There are no restrictions or tests required to enter Australia and hopefully Canada won't impose any either. Not really sure what the point of doing so would be if covid/colds/flu are rampant inside Canada anyway.

Reactions: Captain Caveman

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
Before we left for the US in Jan 2020 I made numerous calls to try and get a US flu shot before we left . Anyone ever found them in Australia? I tried the travel vaccine companies.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Has anyone done one of the ASC camps at Sunpeaks? I’m looking at a week camp for one of my kids

Snow mum

Hard Yards
Jan 17, 2014
Has anyone done one of the ASC camps at Sunpeaks? I’m looking at a week camp for one of my kids
My three boys have done the ASC camps multiple times both in Sun Peaks and in Big White when they used to be based there and we are heading back again this January. Can’t praise Geoff and his family enough, we love them!
The boys skiing improves drastically after every camp

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
My three boys have done the ASC camps multiple times both in Sun Peaks and in Big White when they used to be based there and we are heading back again this January. Can’t praise Geoff and his family enough, we love them!

Thanks, I think we are pretty well committed, which camp have your boys done? Park, all mtn or race?

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding

Very random question, are these at all associated with the grey bearded bloke who is often a starter for races in Perisher?
Proper gentleman, he seems incredibly experienced and well connected. Have a feeling he has something to do with coaching in interior BC?

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Very random question, are these at all associated with the grey bearded bloke who is often a starter for races in Perisher?
Proper gentleman, he seems incredibly experienced and well connected. Have a feeling he has something to do with coaching in interior BC?

Not sure, I spoke with Geoff today he is based at Buller and involved in their race program and I believe his wife is involved in ski school.

@CarveMan should probably know him.

And yeah the grey bearded guy is a nice bloke.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Yes Buller stalwart Geoff Walker, his wife Sue is head of the kids ski school at Buller and they have been taking camps to Canada for ages. He's a teacher at Mansfield High so works well for him to be away for January.

Seems like a really nice guy and pretty accommodating as he will try and fit my daughter in who doesn’t want a full camp just a few days.

I do wonder how many kids they get on the four week camps (no parents).

Bugger sending the kids away to ski for four weeks, they ain’t skiing if I’m not.

ski

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2011
My daughter did the ASC camp 2 years in a row. First year - all mountain (1 week). Second year Race and all mountain (2 weeks).

First year was amazing - she had a ball. She was with kids her own age and the instructor was great.

Second year instructors were great but the group had really young kids in it and she didn't enjoy it as much. She still got a lot out of the training as the young kids were good skiers - but the age difference meant she didn't have the best social side like the first year.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
There's heaps of cold, flu and covid around. Not particularly surprising. Restricting movement (and therefore covid) for two years has left us more exposed to other viruses once we resumed normal interaction again. Life goes on. There are no restrictions or tests required to enter Australia and hopefully Canada won't impose any either. Not really sure what the point of doing so would be if covid/colds/flu are rampant inside Canada anyway.

Back from a road trip through the Kootenays. A cycling/ camping trip.
I always end in Revelstoke before the trek home. Really like the vibe of the place.
A9701B1A-D379-4AEF-9820-1A0EE05D2F1B.jpeg
7E793B3C-9823-4707-BB24-1B66E7CDA9B5.jpeg
1BB6F507-352A-4759-A9A6-9866F21007A5.jpeg
70D7AFC3-9879-45BB-8E17-5E2413C965CA.jpeg

Good news from the esteemed group at the CDC. In a nutshell, everyone will be treated the same regarding the jab. No difference. The messaging indicates that there will be some new guidance coming soon.
A complete change. Likely the US will drop all border restrictions concerning the jab.
The science. Canada not so fast. That pesky Arrive-Can App could be with us until some court challenge.
So it appears that the end to jabs is coming. A sigh of relief from our tourism industry when that occurs.

This change could open the door to a busy ski season at SPs. Pent up demand.
Book early or be disappointed.

Photos of the Galina Trail.

PeterJN

Hard Yards
May 11, 2020
First trip to Sun Peaks this Jan. if you could only take one ski, what width?
I assume ski hire there has good variety.
would your answer change if also going to Whistler?

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
First trip to Sun Peaks this Jan. if you could only take one ski, what width?
I assume ski hire there has good variety.
would your answer change if also going to Whistler?
I skied there pretty much all January on a 100mm underfoot ski. They were fine. They dealt with the near daily firm but edgeable conditions (noting they’re 100 underfoot), and the occasional new snow well. For the conditions I actually encountered an 88 would have been vastly better for 90%-95% of the days.

TBH if I went back I’d probably bring two pairs - 88 and and a 100 to 105 - in that range. I understand that the conditions I encountered were pretty bad by SP standards and the usual conditions are to get modest snowfalls of light dry snow of say 5cm or even 10cm not uncommonly. I think in that the 88 would be fine but personally I’d just take an extra wider pair “just in case”.

If I definitely could only take just the one ski I think I’d probably take the 100’s again, and suck up that they’re not the ideal ski on firmer days.

Reactions: Captain Caveman

SnowCat9

First Runs
Jun 20, 2022
I skied there pretty much all January on a 100mm underfoot ski. They were fine. They dealt with the near daily firm but edgeable conditions (noting they’re 100 underfoot), and the occasional new snow well. For the conditions I actually encountered an 88 would have been vastly better for 90%-95% of the days.

TBH if I went back I’d probably bring two pairs - 88 and and a 100 to 105 - in that range. I understand that the conditions I encountered were pretty bad by SP standards and the usual conditions are to get modest snowfalls of light dry snow of say 5cm or even 10cm not uncommonly. I think in that the 88 would be fine but personally I’d just take an extra wider pair “just in case”.

If I definitely could only take just the one ski I think I’d probably take the 100’s again, and suck up that they’re not the ideal ski on firmer days.
Similar story for me - I took my only pair (E100's) and they were fine. A narrower ski would have been nice on some days, but I was ok with what I dragged along for the trip.
There are plenty of places to hire a narrower pair if you feel like a break from your 100's.

Reactions: Annabuzzy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using