Sun Peaks BC 2010 -2011 For the addicts!

Taff

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2008
Perth, Scotland
Well, here it is, the first post for the 2010 -2011 season for Sun Peaks.
IMG_0445.jpg

woohoo.gif

biggrin.gif

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>The Crew !</span></span>
Sly Karma.....Expat Aussie Canadian resident TRAGIC !! (we need to take him from the BW thread)
BigWhite_Rameok .. Friendly Kelowna resident & GUN skier (might be convinced to drop in for a ski)

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Season Players</span>
...anyone doing a season, list your name here

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Holiday-ers </span>

Addictive Dates
Taipan 5 30/12/2010 - 21/01/2011 M50, F47, M17, M17, M16, M08 (Sundance retreat 4124 Sundance Drive)
Crystal 4 30/12/2010 - 16/01/2011 M40, F39, M07,F03 (Nancy Greene)
Sno4WA 3 30/12/2010 - 08/01/2011 M52, F48, F11 (Nancy Greene)
The_Captain 12 31/12/2010 - 10/01/2011 6 adults ages 44 to 39, 6 kids ages 9 to 6(Sunburst Drive)
BowralZak 8 3/01/2010 - 12/01/2010 M41,F46,F12,M10,M40,F42,M11,F8 (Dancing Frog Lodge on 4128 Sundance Drive)
Dave6 4 03/01/2011 - 18/01/2011 M42, F42, F11, F02 (Fireside Lodge)
Hacski 3 04/01/2011 - 22/01/2011 M59, F53, F17 (Nancy Greene)
Anthem 4 05/01/2011 - 27/01/2011 M48, F42, M12, M10 (Dancing Frog Lodge on 4128 Sundance Drive)
toxicfox 3 06/01/2011 - 14/01/2011 M41, F50, M50, M11(Nancy Greene)
Taff 3 02/02/2011 - 16/02/2011 M59, F40+, F40+(just being polite!) (Nancy Greene)
Bilby Blue 7/2/2011 - 6/3/2011 M67,F57 (Nancy Greene)
Here4Snow 1 05/03/2011 - 18/03/2011 M57

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Tenative .. (dates to be locked in) </span> …..</span>

Chunky .. Mid to late Jan (?)
Taff (+2) Early Feb (Nancy Greene)

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Handy links</span> …..</span>
General
Okanagan Limousines .....Flight Tracker .....Greyhound Canada.....Exchage Rate...Yahoo Exchange Rates
Web Cams
insert cam links here
Accomodation
.....Allura Direct .....Rent Chalets .....[.VRBO - Vacation Rentals By Owner
Food !
Sunpeaks Grocery Delivery

The All Important Weather !!
Weather Radar ..... 14 day animated charts .....
Ski/Board
Sunpeaks Ski/Board School

Babysitting - drop Crystal a PM for the name of a great local girl (daytime only)

Last edited by a moderator:

BWG

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2006
Adelaide
well done Taff. I'm trying to work out location of that photo. Top of Morrissey?

BWG

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2006
Adelaide
I thought there were less trees at the top of Crystal,so I guess this is my cue to go back and refresh my memory
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
H

Hacski

Was that photo from your recent visit Taff? We (me and mrs & miss) have our flights all booked. We did it a long way ahead so we could use points and get towards the front of the plane. The girls got premium economy seats on Qantas and I managed business on United. We leave Dec 29 and get home Jan 28 but our Sun Peaks itinerary is to get there late in the afternoon of Jan 4 and leave late in the afternoon of Jan 22. Looking forward to the dogs, the fondue night, another hockey game and hopefully some improved skiing. On the way the girls are are having girl time in LA over New Years and told me to visit friends in Seattle. Don't mind that as that means a couple of days at Stevens Pass. I'm allowed to join them in San Francisco on the way home for a few nights though. Next week we'll buy the season tickets and then think about accommodations.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Lots of good skiing at Stevens, and they're rarely short of snow. Best of the close-to-Seattle ski hills IMHO.

Sno4WA

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
Perth
Wohoo - I'm excited.
woohoo.gif
We will be there Dec 30 - Jan 8, staying at Cahilty Lodge. This year I'd like some of that blue ski in the photo - we certainly didn't see much most days at the top of the chairs - but I no complain
smile.gif

H

Hacski

Sno4WA said:
Wohoo - I'm excited. We will be there Dec 30 - Jan 8, staying at Cahilty Lodge.
Young missHac was trying on her gear last night and is looking forward to it too, plus this season coming here. She wants to pay for her lift ticket and her share of the accommodation, for which we're thinking Cahilty too.

That plus points / air miles flights means we can look forward to a longer stay than previous times at less cost even with travel at peak period
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to Stevens even though it'll probably be crowded, being New Years and close to Seattle. This last Jan I did a Harb camp at a snall place in CO called Solvista Basin, reminded me of Selwyn, and met this retired guy, about to vacation in Australia, who drives a bus at Stevens. I'm wondering if I'll bump into him again.

Taff

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2008
Perth, Scotland
Photo is from 2004, when there was some really good snow but is was COLD ! And The Wang is correct - just below Crystal Chair, heading for Crystal Bowl.
The ski season here in Scotland is still going strong, even though we are forecast 16C today. I, for one, do not like skiing on slush, so the ski gear is now back in the loft for the summer.
Now where did I put that wetsuit?

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Glorious spring morning here, I can see two snowy peaks &gt;2000m from my window and it looks so inviting. There's a 200cm+ base up there but the lifts are closed. So today I'm planning to drown my sorrows instead... the annual Fest of Ale should make me happy!

Sno4WA

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
Perth
I just got the Sun Peaks e-newsletter saying they have had 32cm of new snow in the last 7 days and have a 194cm base (70cms better than when we were there in Jan) - why wouldn't they elect to extend the season and stay open??

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
&gt;15 degrees in th valley, golf courses are open, no one wants to go skiing. Late season only works if you have a longtime reputation for it and are located fairly close to big cities where theres enough people to make it worth it. Cypress/Grouse/Seymour had 150+ cm this past week and are extending by a week or two, but that's suburban Vancouver.

Sno4WA

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
Perth
I guess the locals are a bit over it and looking forward to summer - it's only here that we would still welcome the snow and some skiing.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Been looking forward to the new thread. And here it is. What a wonderful thread it is. So ive dug out a new pic for the new thread.

Currently plan (just quotes so far), out of Sydney 27th or 28th. 2 nights in vancouver, then up to Sun Peaks on the 30th and staying till the 21st.

SPWG1.jpg

Actually i have posted that pic a few years back, but ill find some new ones and post them up soon.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
H

Hacski

^ Beat me to it. Just paying the current statement and will do it after going out. Exchange rate a couple of cents poorer than a couple of weeks ago but still pretty good.

H

Hacski

Passes done.
smile.gif

Now to look consider accommodations.

Here4Snow

First Runs
Jun 17, 2008
Queensland
Crystal said:
heheheheee.. we decided on Nancy Green, great location at the base
And if you are staying at Nancy Greens Cahilty Lodge, you have to have a ski with Al Raine Nancy's husband. He is a master worth spending time with. Reading his tips for the day on where and when to ski on the in-house TV channel is more than worth it.

(God, I'm back, the lifts have shut, the season is over and I'm still in this thread. I have to get a life!
Maybe this is life.)

H

Hacski

We stayed at Cahilty once before and liked it except for the small indoor hottub. But now I know about the outside one too then it'll probably be the place. The season pass gets a 20% discount too. Just sent off a query.

Sno4WA

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
Perth
STayed at Nancy Greene's and have booked again for this year. Can't beat the location, rooms are fine and yes you definitely have to put yourself down to have a ski with Al and Nancy. We asked the staff when Nancy would be there and skied for the morning with Al and Nancy came along for an hour and a half - they were both very generous.

'H' Jones

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2008
Sno4WA said:
STayed at Nancy Greene's and have booked again for this year. Can't beat the location, rooms are fine and yes you definitely have to put yourself down to have a ski with Al and Nancy. We asked the staff when Nancy would be there and skied for the morning with Al and Nancy came along for an hour and a half - they were both very generous.

yeah, I heard some less than generous things about nancy especially. However I found them both to be charming and great fun.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
I have no real interest in skiing with them and last visit to Sunpeaks had us really over the whole Nancy Green thing. Picked it due to good price and great location really.

Here4Snow

First Runs
Jun 17, 2008
Queensland
Can't speak highly enough of Al and Nancy. They improved my skiing and Al had me down Headwalls which I would never have attempted on my own.

First time at Sun Peaks stayed at Cahilty, which is a great location and Prince Valiant and I along with two Kiwis spent our first Sunday touring the mountain and being give great advice and tips by Al. I think we stopped once at the Umbrella Cafe. I was exhausted by the end of the day, but I do not think Al had raised a sweat.

The following year couple of mates and I spent the morning with Al and the afternoon with Nancy. I do not think I have skied so fast just to get one more run in. She gave us a big head start and glided by as if we sere standing still. She also introduced me to the Bolacco Cafe.Nancy's big tip, "Ski between the trees not through the trees!"

The last couple of times I have not stayed at Cahilty and so have not had the opportunity to ski with either of them. However, on the last day this year I was having the double shot latte (Conrad gets offended if you have a single) and cinnamon bun and Al came in to warm up after being standing out on the Masters Race Course on (OSV) for sometime. We had a nice chat and he was gracious enough to say he remembered me.

It's a great mountain, with great people. The Greenes do what they are "paid" to do and love to do, spruik the mountain. Al loves coming to Australia and may well be at the Australian Ski shows again this year.

I'm off to buy my season pass.

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I have to admit that the Delta is a big favourite for Bronski and I. Nothing beats the huge outdoor pool and hot tubs there.

We did the Revelstoke day trip with Al Raine in 2009 which was open to anyone, not just Cahility guests. If you don't mind long tiring days then I'd highly recommend it (assuming they stiill run these day trips). I've got to tip my hat to Al though as he does all the driving, ski's like there's an avalanche bearing down on him and keeps everybody entertained so it must be a very long day for him !

Bronski and I are still sorting out our plans for 2011 and we have Big Sky Montana at the top of our list but we're trying to work out if we can do some border hopping and include Canada in the trip plans. I'm itching for a new pair of ski's and Jim at Elevation has always looked after us extremely well so we have to fit Sun Peaks in even if it's just for acouple of days to test and buy the new ski's !

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I've been put up in all the hotel accoms at SP over the years and I like the Delta the best. Central location to beat 'em all, larger rooms, gorgeous public spaces, great service. Can't speak for the condos and rental homes.

Taff

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2008
Perth, Scotland
We've stayed at Cahilty most of the time, in a one-bedroom condo unit, which has loads of room for 2 people. We spent one trip at the Delta Residences, the first year they were open, but unfortunately, the building was not finished; even then, the worktops in the kitchen and floors were starting to delaminate. Delta Residences is also expensive compared to Cahilty. We've not booked yet, but I would expect to be staying at Cahilty again this year.
We we at SP during the Olympics this year and, as Nancy & Al were in Vancouver for the duration, no trips to Revelstoke and no chance to ski with either of them. As Nancy is now a Senator, the only chance to ski with here is at the weekend.
The new Morrisey's Pub is a good location for beer and pub food; Memories at Cahilty (formerly Macker's) is still a work in progress; the Tapa's bar in the Kookaburra is OK; all the other establishments are much as they were.

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
People..... any ideas for groceries on the hill ? we are feeding a family of 4 and need a bit so shopping at the village markets may get expensive. If anyone can suggest anything that doesn't cost the earth would be great.

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
other than this place

Sun Peaks Grocery Delivery
Tel: (250) 574-3449 Fax: (250) 578-0310
Email: info@sunpeaksgrocery.com
PO Box 2140, Sun Peaks, BC V0E 5N0
Visit their website

or the $25 (one way) bus trip to town to get them

Goanna

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2003
Tasmania
Are you skiing anywhere else Crystal? The reason I ask this is that if you are flying into Kamloops to head straight up to SP then a good move can be to rent a vehicle at the airport and then call into the supermarkets and load up on all your supplies. Just bring the car/4WD back the next evening and all you have to pay is the one bus fare for the driver.
You can also arrange with local supermarket near the airport to pack all your supplies before you arrive and then pick it up on the way up the hill on the bus. Extra cost is usually a tip for the busdriver and possibly a small extra charge for the bus ticket...and several thankyou's to your fellow passengers.

H

Hacski

We put a deposit on accommodation at Cahilty. All to do SP side is to look into the grocery issue. With just three of us for 18 nights I half wonder about the mini-mart. I also need to get a mate to suggest to missHac she should consider some lessons. Dad's can't do it directly.

Here4Snow

First Runs
Jun 17, 2008
Queensland
Another way is off the plane and cab to a supermarket. Then either cab back to the airport or arrange for the "next" shuttle to pick you up on the way to the airport before heading up.

The grocery store on the mountain is Very limited. Especially for a substanial stay.

Another thing, if Mountain Reservation send you email confirmation of your shuttle transport included in the email is an option to do a web update of changed details, don't expect those changes to be passed along. They certainly were'nt this year. Maybe they will have that ironed out by next season.

H

Hacski

There will be three of us aged at the time M59, F53 & F17, Jan04-22. On cue today is cool in ACT and missH's thoughts are already on our trip (and this season here). She had a driving lesson this morning and shared the feeling with her instructor, who'd been to Whistler. Hopefully she will decide on taking some lessons. The ski school used to have 3half-day and 5half-day programs, the continuity of which helped build the group, and enabled the instructor to address individual needs, but no longer it would seem.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Winter made a brief return today. I was in Kamloops for a mtn bike race and it was COLD. 5 C might not seem bad but it's been &gt;20 C most of the time this past couple of weeks, and I was stuck on a hilltop in gusty wind and hail for 8 hours. Yeesh. Once skiing is over, we need summer right now.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Addictive Dates
Snow Momma 5 22/12/2010 - 7/1/2011 (ages)
Taipan 5 30/12/2010 - 21/1/2011 M50 F47 M17 M16 M8
Hacski 3 04/1/2010 - 22/1/2011 M59, F53 & F17

Virgil

Hard Yards
Jul 23, 2001
Canberra
Thought I should escape from the couch of lurking and contribute some memories....
Love Sun Peaks!!
P1000207.jpg

P1000209_edited-1.jpg

P1000274.jpg

P1000148_edited-1.jpg

Virgil

Hard Yards
Jul 23, 2001
Canberra
Love::::pretty much everything...Delta Residences.....Mountain High Pizza....No crowds/queues...
Issues: ? More choices for quick sit-down lunch for big group, really don't like cinnamon buns (sacriligious though it may be)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass