Sun Peaks BC 2010 -2011 For the addicts!

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Shadow007 said:
Taipan said:
Too warm here this morning. After 17 days we are having a very slow start. Time for some fun with the videos.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a232/taipan74/Sun%20Peaks%202011/?action=view&current=f91a48ab.mp4

Nice shirtfront - reminded me of this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LU_hhxM9m8
woohoo.gif

laugh.gif
!!.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Crystal said:
Geez, glad we left as the pineapple express hit. Hope you guys get more snow soon.

We got home okay but uncomfortable, off for more xrays and Drs today. latest report looks like the boys bones have moved, lets hope we don't have to reset or worse surgery.

Don't worry bout us Crystal , We are all just a bit spoilt after last weeks cold temps and snow.

Snow flurries and cooling down right now. I do feel a bit bad for all the peeps that drove up from Seattle to ski in the rain/snow this weekend though.

Hope masters leg is OK

H

Hacski

Crystal said:
Geez, glad we left as the pineapple express hit. Hope you guys get more snow soon.

We got home okay but uncomfortable, off for more xrays and Drs today. latest report looks like the boys bones have moved, lets hope we don't have to reset or worse surgery.
Fingers crossed on both accounts Crystal. Variable was the operative word today both over time and depending on where one was. I didn't think there was much of a MLK long weekend effect: today the place was deserted and the weekend wasn't bad for a weekend especially considering there were Okanagan races being held.

Rambler was frozen mud this morning, and mud this afternoon, by all reports, so tomorrow morning we collect missH's waxed skis from the ski store then cross the bridge to get to Morrisey.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Hi ToxicFox,

Just to let you know that your keen eye was correct at SP. the "extra" run off the east village is in fact the lift pylon cutting for the proposed Orient Express chairlift. Not quite the conditions to ski it now but keep that one in the memory banks
wink.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Anthem1 said:
Dumping now (7pm)
woohoo.gif

Not dumping at Whistler. MAybe a trace last night. Was very hardpack yesterday morning, the slush was groomed then frozen solid. Good snow at the top of Glacier chair on Blackcomb, may get up Showcase today.
Didn't try the Alpine on Whistler mountain.

H

Hacski

It all quitened down during the night and today was cloudy but good visibility, good enough to see the Rockies away to the wast bathed in sunshine from top of Tod. Ungroomed snow covered in windblown litter from the trees

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
The East side of Todd Mtn was Gr8 today from under the Crystal chair right round to 5 Mile. The Taipan clan got first tracks down Last chance
thumbsup.gif
while I was farting around on Sundance.Maybe they got some footage.

Not an epic day by any means but V nice to be out in the mountains.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Hacski said:
It all quitened down during the night and today was cloudy but good visibility, good enough to see the Rockies away to the wast bathed in sunshine from top of Tod. Ungroomed snow covered in windblown litter from the trees

Mate you've got good eyes if you can see the Rockies from SP. Due east of you are the Monashees, then the Selkirks. The Rockies are another range or two further east. To the northeast are the Columbia Mtns and then the Rockies proper.

Glad to hear you people are getting new snow again. Apex only got the edge of that, a couple of cm at best.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Found some nice snow down Nathan's run on Sundance while everyone one else was shredding Todd Mtn.

Here's the video:

H

Hacski

^^^Gee, my geographical awareness as well as skiing needs improving then SK
smile.gif
I'll pass on the lesson next time I see those Seattle folk who told me that. Whatever, the sunshine looked inviting.

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hope all of you addicts enjoy the rest of your time at Sun Peaks.

Bronski and I fly out this Friday to Montana and Alberta so unfortunately the closest we will come to SP will be on the train ride from Jasper back to Vancouver.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Have a great trip you two. Would have been good to do a few turns with you. Maybe another time.

Slip us a few "off topic" posts while the mods aren't looking to let us know how the skiing is.
thumbsup.gif

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
sly_karma said:
Then you'll just have to jump ship. Errr, jump train?

Maybe we can pray for a train breakdown or avalanche just outside Kamloops with a forced stopover for a couple of days
wink.gif

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Anthem1 said:
Have a great trip you two. Would have been good to do a few turns with you. Maybe another time.

Slip us a few "off topic" posts while the mods aren't looking to let us know how the skiing is.
thumbsup.gif

I'm sure there's no harm in posting a few comparison reports between Sun Peaks and the resorts we will be visiting. I'm pretty confident already that they will be hard pushed to match the village atmosphere and bar staff at Mantles
beer.gif
(no Caesar's in Montana I suspect)

bowralzak

Hard Yards
Aug 25, 2010
Hi all we just got home yesterday.

Sounds like you guys still there will get some good conditions after the warm patch (must have been us putting the leaving curse on - only gets worse when we depart usually!!)
That snow on the 12th was fantastic a great way to end the trip expect for Matt taking his eldest child to kamloops for an xray after he slipped over getting onto the sunburst lift and was dragged underneath (space is only approx 40cm) for approx 5 metres along with my son as we despeartly tried to help them and despite our calls (yelling) to the lift attendant to STOP the lift. SP stuffed up as they are supposed to have 2 attendants at the bottom of each chair and they only had 1 at the time and she was in the booth on the phone! She just froze in shock and that amde the situation worse!
We had every senior person involved from SP afterwards and they even drove us down to Kamloops hospital I am sure they were and still are very nervous.
In the end he has soft tissue damage around the neck.

A big thanks to Taipan for putting on the party.

It was good skiing with you Anthem and a shame we couldnt spare the time to ski with the rest of you due to skiing with the kids. However in saying that I think we will be able to bring the kids along on any run next time as the boys spent the last 3 days basically just doing black runs and were keen to do challenger which was due to be conquered on the 12th.

Keep having fun!
beer.gif
beer.gif

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
sorry to hear of the dramas bowralzak, atleast you got help getting down to Kamploops. Wait for the bill for the hospital though. I am guessing just an xray should be okay. Ours for a less than 24hr stay is $6055.00
eek.gif
does not include Surgeon bills

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Hi bowralzaks,

Glad to hear the neck injury not too bad. Was great to meet and ski with you guys. A bit of a rude awakening for my legs to ski with you lot, then Sly and the crew the following day but I think I have just about recovered now!

Thanks so much for the spare food, very appreciated.

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Android said:
sly_karma said:
Then you'll just have to jump ship. Errr, jump train?

Maybe we can pray for a train breakdown or avalanche just outside Kamloops with a forced stopover for a couple of days
wink.gif

There have been issues with the line between Jasper and the western side. While we were there they had experienced a slide/derailment (not sure) on the tracks so there was only one track in use. Local tour operator said priority went to the freight trains so the Rocky Mountaineer was at the bottome of the list when we were there in early Jan.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Had a good day on the hill today.....................

It started out nice and cold
DSC01351.jpg

found some nice snow in the "Chute", east side of Mt Todd (click on photo for video of the area)

Then the sun came out and the crew
DSC01373.jpg

Hit Blue line, Highway 22 and Sunnyside for last runs of the day. Photos are taken from the general top of Burfield chair area
DSC01376.jpg

DSC01379.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Hi all. We are now home. Just under 31 hrs door to door, minus one bag which will hopefully turn up tomorrow - or the next day. Our house seems to have survived the Brisbane weather OK.

I was offline for the entire time we were away so missed out on a lot of the chatter. Thanks to Taipan for the party. It was a wonderful evening and great to meet a few people from here and catch up for a ski the following day.

I will have a look through our pics later (after some sleep) and see if there is anything worth posting.

For everyone still in SP, enjoy the rest of your time and hope there will be some more powder days like last Wednesday.

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Taff said:
Well, here it is, the first post for the 2010 -2011 season for Sun Peaks.
IMG_0445.jpg

woohoo.gif

biggrin.gif

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>The Crew !</span></span>
Sly Karma.....Expat Aussie Canadian resident TRAGIC !! (we need to take him from the BW thread)
BigWhite_Rameok .. Friendly Kelowna resident & GUN skier (might be convinced to drop in for a ski)

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Season Players</span>
...anyone doing a season, list your name here

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Holiday-ers </span>

Addictive Dates
Taipan 5 30/12/2010 - 21/01/2011 M50, F47, M17, M17, M16, M08 (Sundance retreat 4124 Sundance Drive)
Crystal 4 30/12/2010 - 16/01/2011 M40, F39, M07,F03 (Nancy Greene)
Sno4WA 3 30/12/2010 - 08/01/2011 M52, F48, F11 (Nancy Greene)
The_Captain 12 31/12/2010 - 10/01/2011 6 adults ages 44 to 39, 6 kids ages 9 to 6(Sunburst Drive)
BowralZak 8 3/01/2010 - 12/01/2010 M41,F46,F12,M10,M40,F42,M11,F8 (Dancing Frog Lodge on 4128 Sundance Drive)
Dave6 4 03/01/2011 - 18/01/2011 M42, F42, F11, F02 (Fireside Lodge)
Hacski 3 04/01/2011 - 22/01/2011 M59, F53, F17 (Nancy Greene)
Anthem 4 05/01/2011 - 27/01/2011 M48, F42, M12, M10 (Dancing Frog Lodge on 4128 Sundance Drive)
toxicfox 3 06/01/2011 - 14/01/2011 M41, F50, M50, M11(Nancy Greene)
Taff 3 02/02/2011 - 16/02/2011 M59, F40+, F40+(just being polite!) (Nancy Greene)
Bilby Blue 7/2/2011 - 6/3/2011 M67,F57 (Nancy Greene)
Here4Snow 1 05/03/2011 - 18/03/2011 M57

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Tenative .. (dates to be locked in) </span> …..</span>

Chunky .. Mid to late Jan (?)
Taff (+2) Early Feb (Nancy Greene)

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Handy links</span> …..</span>
General
Okanagan Limousines .....Flight Tracker .....Greyhound Canada.....Exchage Rate...Yahoo Exchange Rates
Web Cams
insert cam links here
Accomodation
.....Allura Direct .....Rent Chalets .....[.VRBO - Vacation Rentals By Owner
Food !
Sunpeaks Grocery Delivery

The All Important Weather !!
Weather Radar ..... 14 day animated charts .....
Ski/Board
Sunpeaks Ski/Board School

Babysitting - drop Crystal a PM for the name of a great local girl (daytime only)

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Hi to all SP addicts. We bid farewell to the Taipan clan today. (Hope you have a good trip home and thanks so much for the spare food).

Glad you had a good trip back Dave 6. Was good sharing a few runs down the Morrissey chopped powder with you.

We have really enjoyed meeting and skiing with many of the crew. You guys and the great snow have made for a memorable holiday. Looking forward to many photos etc over the coming weeks. I will try and take a few around the place next week as we hold the fort here.
beer.gif

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Had a nice flight back across the Pacific. Sitting in Sydney domestic for the last leg home.

Really great holiday and great to catch up with so many.

Lots of pics and clips to come over coming weeks.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Sno4WA said:
We GPS'd our ski days - here is half a day we had over at Morrisey with Dave6 and his +1....photos come up in their location on the map. EveryTrail is very good and can be used on the iPhone (we have data roaming turned off and it still worked).

Day 5 AM - Morrisey

Hey Sno, Hope you guys are enjoying (enjoyed??) Whistler. That's a great little gadget. Nice record of an excellent morning of skiing.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Pleased to hear you had a nice flight back Taipan. Really enjoyed the runs we had together.

It was a nice sunnny Saturday here. Lots of locals were up from town, chomping at the bit to rip up Tod mtn. Had a nice day with some good snow still around.

Looking down Sacred Line
DSC01381.jpg

Then Checked out Toilet Bowl/ Juniper Ridge. Probably the best snow of the day
DSC01384.jpg

Found the Entrance to Father Toms
DSC01385.jpg

Looking down the Father Toms glade
DSC01397.jpg

Then off to the T bar for some Freshies albeit a bit wind packed
DSC01391.jpg

T Bar East bowl
DSC01394.jpg

DSC01395.jpg
biggrin.gif

Sno4WA

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
Perth
Dave6 said:
Sno4WA said:
We GPS'd our ski days - here is half a day we had over at Morrisey with Dave6 and his +1....photos come up in their location on the map. EveryTrail is very good and can be used on the iPhone (we have data roaming turned off and it still worked).

Day 5 AM - Morrisey

Hey Sno, Hope you guys are enjoying (enjoyed??) Whistler. That's a great little gadget. Nice record of an excellent morning of skiing.

Hi Dave yes we have today and tomorrow then fly home tomorrow night, we have skied our legs off :D. Yesterday we booked our room for next year (sorry Toxic, 338 was gone, we have taken 238 so you better be quick for 138)...and Ali asked "can you ask Dave if they can come so Holly can stay with us?" - good skiing mates already
smile.gif

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
^Holly would love that too although Whistler is not really on the radar for us at the moment.

Anthem - Great shots. Love the last one.

H

Hacski

Chaos at Kamloops airport today. We got there at 8:30 and after spending all day there on account of fog came back to town for another night after realising no planes were going to land. A couple of flights made it out over lunch time much to the excitement of those booked on those flights, some who had been at Nanacy Greene Cahilty. I spoke with other people who came in midafternoon with late night flights from Vancouver. They took Greyhound hoping to get there in time but it would be touch and go. We'll try again tomorrow and put the flight to SFO off till Tues just in case we need to do same or rent a car. No side trip to Tahoe but an afternoon and a day in the bay area and hopefully, an afternoon in Vancouver. To top it off the Blazers went down 1-6 against Vancouver Giants. Rebuilding they are.

H

Hacski

Crystal said:
Hope your travel plans work out Hacski
Thanks Crystal.

Currently we are debating if the flight is cancelled again whether to go with the loser cruiser and risk being beheaded or rent a car and seeing as snow is forecast for Kamloops overnight and into the morning trust we can get snow rated tyres here in Kamloops. 2:1 for the latter. Young miss is a bit apprehensive about the uncertainty but with a few days up our sleeve it is kind of interesting to just see what happens.

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Crystal said:
sorry to hear of the dramas bowralzak, atleast you got help getting down to Kamploops. Wait for the bill for the hospital though. I am guessing just an xray should be okay. Ours for a less than 24hr stay is $6055.00
eek.gif

OMG I hope insurance will cover that. And I hope the little guy is getting better
smile.gif

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
chunky said:
Crystal said:
eek.gif

OMG I hope insurance will cover that. And I hope the little guy is getting better
smile.gif

Master is heaps better and bouncing around...bill so far 8500.00 and rising. insurance will cover the lot

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Hacski said:
Crystal said:
Thanks Crystal.

Currently we are debating if the flight is cancelled again whether to go with the loser cruiser and risk being beheaded or rent a car and seeing as snow is forecast for Kamloops overnight and into the morning trust we can get snow rated tyres here in Kamloops. 2:1 for the latter. Young miss is a bit apprehensive about the uncertainty but with a few days up our sleeve it is kind of interesting to just see what happens.

Adventures for you....... I'd go the rental car and do the drive to Vancouver, just get a 4WD maybe

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Hacski said:
Crystal said:
Thanks Crystal.

Best of luck for tomorrow Hacski.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
wangster said:
Anthem, that shot of Toilet Bowl almost made me cry. Just so you know.

Pleased to bring back some memories for you Wangster. There sure are some really good spots off the Burf aye.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Nice shooting Anthem, once you finally got the camera out you did good. Amazing how quickly the mountain conditions can improve after that nasty melt-freeze a week ago.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
sly_karma said:
Nice shooting Anthem, once you finally got the camera out you did good. Amazing how quickly the mountain conditions can improve after that nasty melt-freeze a week ago.

So True Sly. We were lucky to get back to cold temps and 2 snowfalls by thurs to make for great skiing all over the mountain again.

Unfortunately we have just had another day of morning snow followed by light rain in the village this arvo. May have stayed good above Crystal chair, will check it out tomorrow. looks like warm temps for a few more days here. Hopefully forecast for some snow and colder temps by Fri/Sat to get the snow nice again.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass