Sun Peaks BC 2010 -2011 For the addicts!

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
chunky said:
Yes please - you're making me want to go there next time.

Roger that.

Luckily the warm temps (drizzle) only got about 10 pylons up the hill, so was a bit like concrete till there then the snow got better and better till the top of Tod.

Pics from today.................................................................................

Grannie Greens
DSC01423.jpg

Then onto Elevation chair...
DSC01428.jpg

DSC01429.jpg

Blue line has a lot more snow than when we were here last
DSC01430.jpg

The clouds disappeared for a couple of hours
DSC01432.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

Took eldest master down to Sacred line/Headwalls..... Great snow
DSC01434.jpg

2 more days for us in paradise... I think my shins are going to make it. Thanks so much for the 2nd skin Crystal. Has kept the leaky skin sealed nicely

DSC01438.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Next time what you need is some of those really big blister bandaids for your shins. 'Bandaid ActiveFlex Large' or 'Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister .... keep them in your kit and apply BEFORE your first days skiing. They should stay on for a couple of days and then replace them.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
chunky said:
Sweet!

Well maybe not the close up leg shot
wink.gif

Lol. The mods may have to make a call on that one. HaHa

Thanks for the tips Dr Wood Duck and Fattwins
thumbsup.gif

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
heheheheee no problem, glad I could help with the 'leaky bits', was so funny hearing you saying ooooooh my shins are bleeding, I laughed and you said...no they really are bleeding.
eek.gif

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Here's a few random shots.

Somewhere looking over to Morrisey

P1020312.jpg

A rare sight at Sun Peaks

P1020311.jpg

Morrisey

P1020258.jpg

P1020257.jpg

Intimidator maybe ??

P1020226.jpg

Another crowded run

P1020217.jpg

Sundance

P1020289.jpg

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Dave6 said:
If your shins aren't bleeding you're not skiing hard enough.

Too true !!. Pain is temporary, Skiing memories are forever!!

Great pics Dave. Love the powder shots. I shot out the door so fast that mornig that I didnt even think of cameras (or anything else).

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Oh well, our three weeks in paradise is over and it's time to pack up for our flights. The snow is still great top half of Todd Mtn. Cooler temps and some new snow will make the lower slopes real nice again.

Will catch up with the thread in a few weeks once work/kids new school year etc is all sorted.
beer.gif

H

Hacski

We arrived home a couple of hours ago to face a mountain of work in the garden to be done. A day's delay in Kamloops meant we had to forget about an excursion out of San Francisco on the way home.Unfortunately I'd prepaid the car rental to get a cheaper rate and it was not cancellable. Travel insurance should cover it but not being cancellable means they could not generate a cancellation notice showing zero refund so am in a bit of an insurance run-a-round. Lesson learned. Nice flights home.

Waiting for the flight I had a premonition I was going to bump into someone from a past workplace and sure enough it happened. Sitting in the (crappy) United Business lounge at SFO I looked up from the laptop to see this guy walking along who had been the head of the government department I use to work for. He'd been transferred, after a few stuff ups, to a different agency some years back. We had a brief chat.

Taff

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2008
Perth, Scotland
Two days to go until we fly out of Edinburgh, on the first leg of our 3-flight journey to SP. Ski bag is packed, cases are still mostly empty and carry-on luggage is getting heavier by the hour. Forecast is calling for more snow towards the end of this week, so we are keeping out fingers crossed.
I will try to post some updates while we are there, but it all depends how good the wi-fi signal is.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Taff said:
Two days to go until we fly out of Edinburgh, on the first leg of our 3-flight journey to SP. Ski bag is packed, cases are still mostly empty and carry-on luggage is getting heavier by the hour. Forecast is calling for more snow towards the end of this week, so we are keeping out fingers crossed.
I will try to post some updates while we are there, but it all depends how good the wi-fi signal is.

Yep, 16cm's since we left Taff. You will have a great time. The extra snow base that is there now (compared to when we were over in Jan 2009) meant we could ski anywhere on the 3 mountains with mostly great snow.

Taff

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2008
Perth, Scotland
Thanks for that, Anthem1, it's just what I needed to hear. Maybe I'll finally get to ski Freddie's Nightmare. The warm temperatures at resort level have been a bit of a worry, though it is plenty cold enough this week. All we need now is MORE SNOW !!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
H

Hacski

sly_karma said:
Warm wet spell at moment. Should be good sticky spooge for the base. Not so great for the backcountry folks though. There'll be a weak layer from this event that will last for a long time. Apex on Sun had numerous small patrol-triggered slides on the inbounds steeps.
SK posted this on Dec 15th and the weekend we left (Jan 22nd) the news and weather reports were full of warnings about back country avalanche dangers all over BC.

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Avvy danger was extreme for the whole time we were there. A few deaths in southern Alberta I think from an avalanche while we were there too
frown.gif

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Just got back home after leaving SP 3 weeks ago. Thanks to everyone for making our time there really great. Specially to Anthem and Crystals +1 for the fast skiing and powder shots, and Sly of course. The powder day with Anthem on the Wednesday was the best of our whole trip. Hope everyone made it back ok and broken bones are healing. Will post some more pics and Vids next week when I can, maybe some extras of Whistler, Aspen and our drive through Sthn Utah onto Palm Springs.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Thanks Toxic, yeah that day rates right up there. Was great to meet and ski with your family and friends. I have just about gotten over the guilt of sending Shane for his big trek thru that flat powder field ! Lol. Looking forward to SP picks plus any Whistler/US ones.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I'll pipe up - hope you folks stick around on the forum after your snow holidays are over - there's lots more going on in here.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Oh yes you are....

Got to hang out with Rameok most days this week, he's been finish ref for the DH. Cancelled today, 20 cm of snow through the day.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Hell yes,

Always lots going on in the world of Mountains and snow to check out. Keep those trip photos and reports coming people.

I even had a detailed look at the Apex trail map the other day. (no particular reason. Just looks like quite a cool place to ski)

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Crystal said:
Next years planning has begun for us. Peter is still talking about the days he had with you guys...much fun I think.

One of my best days of the trip was exploring the bits of Todd Mtn that I hadn't been to yet with you guys

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Anthem1 said:
Hell yes,

Always lots going on in the world of Mountains and snow to check out. Keep those trip photos and reports coming people.

I even had a detailed look at the Apex trail map the other day. (no particular reason. Just looks like quite a cool place to ski)

sssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Crystal said:
Next years planning has begun for us. Peter is still talking about the days he had with you guys...much fun I think.

So whats the plan Crystal? Kicking Horse?

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Anthem1 said:
Hell yes,

I'm sure Sly would love some visitors to Apex.

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Dave6 said:
Crystal said:

So whats the plan Crystal? Kicking Horse?

was to be Kicking Horse, but now have started to research again. Short list is Jackson Hole, Whitefish and Big Sky. want to desperately go back to Apex but until little miss is another year older it's a bit harder as we need infrastructure.

If Revelstoke pull their finger out and cater for little ones in Ski school, we will be there as first option, but doubt that will happen.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Apex put on her sunday best last monday and showed off for all the visitors there for the race. 40 cm overnight, race was cancelled early and we all went powder skiing. Wowed all the volunteers, parents and coaches who've never had much chance to see anything but the race track. That little mountain skis way bigger than it looks.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Sly - oh - im just sitting here knowing how big your smile must have been.

Best we had this year was just 26cm.

Ski holidays are all about expectation, experience and memories.

Ive started working through my film clips. We went out with 3 head cams, and have 120g of footage.

Sly, Cam Tom and I got Static Cling done on the second last day. Very positive experience, breaking through some mental barriers and building confidence.

Conditions were - well as WM would have said. "The snow report sounded great. 6cm of snow over 3 foot of ice".

Came just after a warm patch. But we got it done. Sounds like Apex is like lots of "Static Clings".

Good on ya sly. You would have loved the 40cm and you deserved it! (40cm - 60cm in the stashes)

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
The best part was I spent the afternoon touring around some of the race timing crew, all 3 of them Whistler skiers with lots of experience. Run after run they couldn't believe how steep and intense Apex can be. And I kept ratcheting up the level until the last run of the day when we got first tracks (at 3:30 pm!) down an air-in tree line that produced face shots every turn. The run before that we were literally waist deep on our world cup mogul course. Epic day, the morning alone paid for my season pass right there.

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Okay broken leg update.

Masters cast came off yesterday and there was some fire works. Master was so keen to get up and run that he bounced off the bed only to have the surgeon catch him and put him back. 5 mins later made up of sheer terrified screaming he was hobbling out of the doctors again on crutches. I don't think he realised that the leg is just not going to work straight away. Basically all the muscles could not hold him up.

So in the bath last night, got most of the old skin off and was very surprised there was not horrible stink !!!. Master went to bed feeling a bit sorry for himself although bounced out of bed this morning and off to school so excited to show everyone his snake skin (it's shedding
eek.gif
).

Some hydro therapy and no taekwondo for the next 4 weeks and we should be good again. Break looks beautiful the way it's healing and looks to only be 4mm shorter than the other leg rather than the first though 8mm.

Yay.

I'd like to thank the Ski.com.au team in Sunpeaks for supporting us during our holiday.
biggrin.gif
you guys all made it fun still from providing Master with playdates and giving us a cool crew to ride with and take our minds off things. thanks for the great lunches too
biggrin.gif

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Stinky cast syndrome is to be avoided if possible, that's for sure. I had a full arm cast back in the early 80s that stank so bad when it finally came off that I was on the verge of passing out and puking at the same time.

Crystal

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
eeewwwwwwwwww....

Master at home today, had a few falls yesterday and refuses to use his leg. Think he's in a bit of pain (the knee) not the break from not using it. Off to Hydro pool tonight to see if that helps, thank god I don't have to pay for that.....being a trained swim teacher also has paid off.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Hey Crystal, must be a relief for the little fella to finally have that cast off. Hopefully he will be back to his old self prety quick now.

Anthem1

One of Us
Oct 25, 2008
New Zealand
Give him a few weeks and he will be much better. At least he doesnt have "snake skin" plus thick black "Gorilla hair" like my brother had when his cast came off.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Ok so who done it!

Young fella's decided to take themselves for a run down the road.

Which Australians were involved in this ambush!

6441d60b.jpg

e4f5a539.jpg

3dde4be1.jpg

d609ec4a.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass