Sun Peaks BC 2010 -2011 For the addicts!

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys

Bronski and I have just returned after an epic 5 week trip to Big Sky Montana, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper and I have to admit that Big Sky simply blew our minds and we're dying to go back. Of the Alberta resorts Marmot Basin actually impressed us the most but I'd still take Sun Peaks over Sunshine, Norquay and Lake Louise for a number of varied reasons which I might detail in a seperate trip report thread if I get around to it.

Unfortunately the closest we got to Sun Peaks was on the train from Jasper back to Vancouver which was a great adventure but be prepared for numerous lengthly stops along the way as they tend give the freight trains priority, great when the scenery is worth watching, not so good when you're just outside of Kamloops in the middle of the night thinking of how good a Caeser from Mantles bar would be at that moment.

BWG

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2006
Adelaide
Hi Android, good that you and Bronski had a good trip. I'm still in embryonic phases of trip report myself (read I've got as far as downloading photos onto the 'puter!) Did come up with a worthy alternative to the Caesar though - a Red Tram Bloody Mary at the Peak restaurant at Jackson Hole. Only had a couple of days at Jackson Hole but loved it, and loved Deer Valley although many many more people on the slopes than at Sun Peaks. Must find a way to combine all 3 - a mega road trip perhaps. All of them, despite having different strong points and different clientele, ticked the box that most attracts me to Sun Peaks, and that is a really friendly, convivial atmosphere.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
cd2baabb.jpg

291bdbe3.jpg

93297c52.jpg

d5baab7e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Here4Snow

First Runs
Jun 17, 2008
Queensland
Finish of the Velocity Challenge. I think 173k's did it but I would be happy with the 164 you can just make out in the pic.
Cant't figure ou whether it would be scarier with or without visibility. The "cone" helmets they wear are another thing. Although there was a young man with a standard helmut and his goggles taped on. One racer was sponsored by his wife. You might question her motivation!
81ebb027.png

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Headwalls is where they do it. It's not until you see them going down the run at speed that you notice a bit of a hump in the run where the get a little "light" !

Do a search for speed skiing at Sun Peaks in YouTube and you'll see some interesting footage.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Some of you know that i was running 3 head cams while in Sun peaks. Id like to post up a link for a short movie i did for skiing static cling.

Recently Marcopolo was roundly attacked for no more then reporting on his holiday in France.

If there is enough interest ill post it in the Sun peaks thread, although a little gun shy, of the nasties on this forum, who want to attack everything.

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Taipan said:
Here is a short one.

Called The Log

http://vimeo.com/20000921

The second one is called.

Static Cling Final

http://vimeo.com/20620245

It is 500mb so you will need a decent internet connection, or download.

Great videos Taipan, brought back countless memories of fun times I had there.

The log reminded me so much of Three Bear glades where I think I came to similar grief numerous times in a single run.

Static Cling, what can I say that your video didn't show clearly. It's a toughy but easily my favourite of the washing machine runs.

Well done
thumbsup.gif

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
I didn't find Static Cling that overly scary and some of the dudes we were skiing with have bigger goolies than me (when it comes to skiing)...so I'm no granny skier.

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Crystal said:
I didn't find Static Cling that overly scary and some of the dudes we were skiing with have bigger goolies than me (when it comes to skiing)...so I'm no granny skier.

I think one of the things that makes Static Cling a little less intimidating is the gentle entry into the run (a beautiful trail with great views). It's always looking over the edge and the first few turns that tells you how big your goolies need to be. What I found tough on this run was it's length (compared to the other washing machine runs) and the size of the bumps.

Here4Snow

First Runs
Jun 17, 2008
Queensland
Another hard day for the Morrisey lifties. They seem to have given the responsibility to some Aussies and a Pom. He didn't want to know Ireland played cricket. A nice sunny day on top of that 68cms.
a8ad4c16.png

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I loved Static Cling. Had a good run down there with Anthem and yes it is long. Such a nice consistent pitch. We found it with patches of fresh still left on the edges, so I slowed it down and mined the skiers´right for little pockets of freshies all the way down. I´d say that must be close to the longest sustained direct fall line steep pitch in the resort. Hard to avoid sidehill on much of the Tod Mtn area.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Thanks for the feedback. The clips are really made for the family and people that dont ski and dont understand what is going on.

Static cling was a big return for me. Its been a long while since ive skied anything as steep as that.

Anybody who has had a broken leg or a knee reconstruction or worse always always has a significant doubt in their mind.

They also have the memory of the pain, the physio and time to get the legs back to a reasonable state.

Sly took me to the cliff at Big white 4 years ago and i backed out and came in from the side. That wasnt a physical issue - more of a mental block.

So the top was a bit of a break through for me. A step up for the boys as well.

Hundreds of better skiers on this forum then me, but i was pretty pleased and the mountain was a sheet of ice underneath, which made it nasty.

Fun hobby to do when you are a long way from the snow.

Android

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2007
Sydney, Australia
That's one of the things I love about skiing, no matter what level skier you are or what type of terrain you enjoy you can get the same adrenaline rush as any other person. Whether your a "please don't let me fall" green cruiser, a blue groomer speed freak, or a cliff jumping suicide skier, the heart rate still tries to punch a hole through your chest everytime you "push the outside of the envelope" (I hate using this cliched flyboy Hollywood saying but it's appropriate in this case).

Perfect example was our last trip, I was having the time of my life playing in the bumps and glades and only spent a limited amount of time with Bron on the groomers until a couple of weeks into the trip at which point I realised I couldn't keep up with her.....she's the blue groomer speed freak I was referring to !

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Thanks guys. Been away for a few days.

Ill have some more coming in the future.

If nothing else - it will be a great opportunity to remember runs.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Sounds like it's been snowing the entire 2 weeks I've been away. Apex got 80 cm in that period. 4 weeks left in the season and it will be big!

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Can somebody tell me about Expo and Challenger. Everytime ive ever seen it, it has been a mixture of moguls and tufts of grass.

This has usually been around December/ January. Does it improve latter in the season?

Here4Snow

First Runs
Jun 17, 2008
Queensland
Our work here is done.
I think Taff/Taipan can start the 2011-2012 thread.
That I should be so lucky!
11d62aa2.png

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
sly_karma said:
They have almost 250cm base now. What do you think?

Maybe i just need to retire and move over for a few seasons. Sounds like this year is like the 1981 season in Australia.

Good onya Sly.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Here4Snow said:
Our work here is done.
I think Taff/Taipan can start the 2011-2012 thread.
That I should be so lucky!
11d62aa2.png

What do you reckon here4snow. Nine iron or wedge onto the green?

Here4Snow

First Runs
Jun 17, 2008
Queensland
Here4Snow said:
It's the green on the Par 4 264m 9th.
With my golf, it's likely to be a slice into the trees of the tee, take a drop, then into the bunker on the left of the green and then backwards and forwards over the green, depending on pin placement, until it becomes unbearable!
I'd just be happy to be there.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Im going to have a round there one of these days.

Im betting the course maybe a little late opening this year. Just thinking about hitting your ball and it comes to rest in the last snow drifts of the season. Bet they lose a few that way, only to be found weeks later.

Audi Annie

First Runs
May 29, 2008
Yes, it will likely be a WET spring... The course is scheduled to open for play on June 3rd... fingers crossed
smile.gif

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Hey audi. 53,000 hits for this thread. My god some of us have real problems.

Had a great time. Look forward to being back real soon

The Stig

Hard Yards
Jun 16, 2008
In the Driving Seat
OK all you Sun Peak gurus, I need some help.
Looking to spend 3 weeks in Sun Peaks next January and are looking for recomendations on accomadation.

The criteria is:-
Ski in / Ski out
Close to village (short walk)
As we are two families, needs to sleep 8 in 4 bedrooms or 3 and den
Self contained condo or townhouse would be good.

Thanks heaps

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Hey Stig

We stayed at Fireside lodge which is ski-in/out and in the village (well right at the end of the village). I don't think they have 3 or 4 BR units though.

bowralzak

Hard Yards
Aug 25, 2010
Hey Stig
We had 2 families (8 all up) stayed at "Dancing Frog Lodge" Ski-in/Ski-out very nice place $425 per night just above the village walk downhill/catch magic carpet 2/3rds way to come back up. 4 bedrooms + Den. X-Box in Den.
Highly recommend it for 2 families.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Nice to hear from the Bowral boys!! How did you feel about the value for money of your accoms vs what you can get in Oz for that money?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass