Sun Peaks BC 2011 - 2012

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Minus 20 today but the sun came out for a while.

sp85.jpg

The Astro's tandem the terrain park.

sp86.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Powder day tomorrow though methinks. It's the premiere of the MS + Sly show at Apex tomorrow and it's snowing steadily out there.

H

Hacski

gareth_oau said:
...Any time you want to swap Astro, just send me the plane ticket!
What will it be for you and nicci next year gareth: SP or Breckenridge?

Taff

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2008
Perth, Scotland
-20C doesn't sound too bad. The first time we skied in Canada, it was -35C on the first morning, waiting for the ski bus in Banff.
Only 7 sleeps to go and we will be on our way.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

jasonr

First Runs
Mar 9, 2010
Been at Sun Peaks since Tuesday afternoon.

Got stuck on the Elevation chair on Tuesday afternoon for 45 minutes, not sure why it stopped, but at least I was recompensed with a free hot chocolate.

The chair was shut all day yesterday as well, along with Morrisey and Burfield, and by the end of the day some other chairs as well I understand.

Not daring to go out today again, after getting a bit of frostbite on the cheeks yesterday after just a few runs.

Very quiet in Sun Peaks, both in the village and on the mountain, but the snow is excellent. Hoping for a bit more snow tomorrow.

Pretty promising forecast:

http://www.mountainwatch.com/Forecasts/Canada/Sun%20Peaks

Bouncerdog

Hard Yards
Jan 20, 2012
Hi people. Been following this thread since August when we took the plunge and booked a 3 week holiday at SP. Our first Canadian trip - at 53 and 50 (and a bit creaky). Lots of useful info, thanks.

We arrive at the Heffley on 1st Feb and are are about to start the packing drama. We are used to skiing NZ and are a bit concerned our clothes might not be up to it with those really low temps you've just had. Is the ski store there OK price wise, or is it really expensive? Happy to support local business but don't want to be ripped off. Also need some new goggles. Don't know whether to do it before we leave or pick some up at the resort?
I know it's been discussed before but with two of us being there for three weeks should we be ordering some groceries from Kamloops or is the local store adequate? Hey, I know that's a bit vague but we could do with saving a dollar or two if we can.

Anyway it all looks good there. Getting excited . Keep posting those pics.
cool.gif

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Goccery Store here does not have alot and it is expensive.
"Save On Food" in Kamloops is definitely worth a visit.
If you are going to Kamloops buy winter gear at Aberdeen Mall. It has several sports stores, as well as Sears. Or just bring it from home.
It has been cold but layering works. Just make sure you have very good face, hand and feet protection. You can get boot gloves, and bring warm gloves with inners.
If your hands and feet sweat alot, have a spare pair to change into at lunch.
When its below Minus 15, take Hot Chocolate breaks every couple of runs. And use the Sunburst Chair with the bubble down, first run after a break.
And keep everything bone dry. So as soon as you come in start drying the gear.

Anyway enjoy.
smile.gif

BTW. Pics have been limited last couple of days cause its to cold to take yours hands out.

The Stig

Hard Yards
Jun 16, 2008
In the Driving Seat
Welcome guys
Another cold day today, but given that it was our last day, it was a MUST ski day.
smile.gif

Certainly not looking forward to going home as Sun Peaks has been absoutely fantastic, however it is great to know that there are forum members on the ground to keep things ticking over.
The retail outlets on the mountain are pretty comprehensive with a good range of brands and products. Price wise, unlike Australian resorts, they have to be competitive in order to match the stores in the local cities and towns otherwise the locals would not shop here.
Enjoy.

The Stig

Hard Yards
Jun 16, 2008
In the Driving Seat
Astro, what room are you in at the Cahilty?
We were going to drop over the ski pants for Astro junior in the morning.
Will just leave at the front desk for you.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Stig, glad you got the snow you'd been waiting for; made it all worth it, hey? Lots of fun skiing with you and the DVS and Astro crews. Hope to catch up again somewhere. I hope you'll continue to look in on the forums and throw in your two cents worth.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
sly_karma said:
Powder day tomorrow though methinks. It's the premiere of the MS + Sly show at Apex tomorrow and it's snowing steadily out there.

Just catching up......

THAT day,..... was the best days skiing of my life.

Learned heaps,..... stretched quite a bit,..... & had some mind boggling skiing.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Bouncerdog, your timing is good, the polar front is starting to break down and you'll inherit a mountain with decent base and lots of snow on the way. Astro covered most things pretty well, I'll just add a bit about goggles.

First, they're a must when it's cold or if you ski fast. (That describes 99% of my skiing so I never wear sunnies). Second, there is no 'best' brand or model. The best goggles are the ones that fit your face to create a snug seal that prevents airflow where it's not wanted.

Third, if you wear a helmet, the best plan is to take it with you to the shop and look for a good tight fit between goggles and helmet. If there are big gaps, you'll be exposing skin to cold air (and creating crevices for snow to collect on those deep face-shot days!). Best is if the helmet and goggles are both from the same maker, then you'll likely have air vents that line up and a matched shape that eliminates gaps.

Finally, buy the goggles when you get to SP. Prices and selection are much better than in Oz. Astro is correct when he says it's OK to buy winter clothing from non-ski stores like Sears, Canadian Tire and so on, but I'd draw the line at goggles. Those should be bought from a ski store. There is a SportMart in Kamloops and they'll be very aggressive on price, but a bit hard to get to unless you have a car. For something that is critical on every turn of every run, I would focus on getting the right goggles rather than the right price. They should last you 5 seasons with decent care, not a lot of money per day.

Shadow007

Hard Yards
Jan 25, 2010
The Stig said:
I hate packing to go home
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Hey Stig, sounds like the trip was awesome.

We pack tonight also - an amazing 4 weeks

Safe travels

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
Left SS today and currently in Kelowna airport. Great to catch up with forum members. Hope to catch up againl in two years time.
Best of luck in getting to factory outlets Shadow. Weather looks ugly but may be OK by the time you arrive.

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
sly_karma said:
Bouncerdog, your timing is good, the polar front is starting to break down and you'll inherit a mountain with decent base and lots of snow on the way. Astro covered most things pretty well, I'll just add a bit about goggles.
Agree with Sly, don't cut corners on face protection.
Alot of people have hurt their face in the last couple of days, and will miss out when the snow comes.
Went in for a Hot Chocolate the other morning and the person serving had walked to work.
Just below their goggles line, they had huge blisters forming and had to go home.
My crew are wearing thin balaclavas under their helmets. Purchased at Jardines in SP.

Bouncerdog

Hard Yards
Jan 20, 2012
Astro, Stig, Sly-Karma and others

Thanks for the advice. As we sit here in glorious summer, planning tomorrow's fishing trip, we wonder about our sanity when we are talking about frostbite!
But I'm sure it's going to be fantastic.

Don't wear that snow out before we get there!
Cheers.

The Stig

Hard Yards
Jun 16, 2008
In the Driving Seat
Well here I am sitting in a depresed state at Vancouver Airport in the Maple Leaf Lounge awaiting the flight back to Sydney, and I must say compared to the Qantas lounges it is pretty ordinary!
Still the beer is cold, the red wine is Australian and they have internet
woohoo.gif

Given that we had a bit of time to kill in Kamloops we took Astro's advice and checked the bags in then went across to Aberdeen mall. Lots of options for ski gear with good skies and binding going for a little as $300 - $350. Worth checking it out if you are in the market. Most frustrating of all however was the 10 cent size snow flakes that were puking down. How was it on the hill? Looked like a great day.

We bumped into Nancy Green in the coffee shop this morning and amazingly she remembered the Stiglet and came and wished us a safe flight and thanked us for holidaying at Sun Peaks. A truely great lady and fantastic asset for the resort.
Once I get back I will put a bit more effort into posting more pics etc. in the mean time to those on the ground have a great time and keep the posts and pics coming.
I need someone to blame for the depession.
laugh.gif

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Well looks like a trip to Jardines in the morning.
Young Astro, wants a Jacket to match the gear you gave us.
He absolutely loves the gear Stig.
Make sure you come to Sydney and allow me to return the favour.
Safe travels.

BTW, been snowing all afternoon. Powder Day tomorrow.
woohoo.gif

Sno4WA

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
Perth
Yes Nancy Green is a great representative for skiing and Sun Peaks. We skied with her and Al a few years ago at SP. I was asking some questions about turns on steeper terrain and she took me for a one-on-one run, I was thinking "you are skiing with an Olympic legend and getting private coaching"! Then she took Ali off just the 2 of them for some tree skiing.

Here at Whistler we stay at the Crystal Lodge which Nancy and Al owned before they moved to SP. There is an information board out the front about the two of them and there is a Nancy Green Drive here.

Ralph_implement

A Local
Oct 2, 2009
We were scheduled to fly into Castlegar on Tuesday....Surprisingly it got cancelled!!!

Flew to Cranbrook and braved the Kootenay Pass and it was really not too bad (thanks for the driving tips thread Sly!! Really helped.)

Got to Nelson on Wednesday arv, skied perfect powder on Thursday, built brownie points with the missus yesterday and skied again today!

Cat skiing at Red tomorrow, then on the 27th we arrive at Sun Peaks to some nice snow....the curse is kinda broken!! I say kinda because today I lined up at Whitewater (epically busy!!) and the main lift broke down as I got close to the front....wasted an hour and then the lines on the other two lifts were crazy. They got the lift going again at lunch time and things settled, but a good couple of hours went begging on a powder day!

DVS

Hard Yards
Apr 12, 2008
Perth
AstroSki66 said:
About 10cm of powder this morning. Skied untracked till about 11am. Not bad for a Saturday.
cry.gif

Back home now. Work tomorrow.

Thanks for rubbing it in.

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
DVS said:
Thanks for rubbing it in.
And here's a little salt
wink.gif

Absolutely nuking down. I know Im too old to use nuking, but there's no other way to describe it.

sp87.jpg

sp88.jpg

A shot before the snow came.

sp89.jpg

The Stig

Hard Yards
Jun 16, 2008
In the Driving Seat
First day back in the office today and it went so slowly
cry.gif

Also suffering from BATOWS
(Balocco's Apple Turn Over Withdrawal Syndrone)

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
laugh.gif

I know the feeling mate..... I'm back off to site today...... two weeks till I get back on ski's.
wink.gif

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Another Great Day. Powder in the morning. Sun in the afternoon.

sp93.jpg

sp91.jpg

sp92.jpg

And some powder 8's, I cut this morning.

sp95.jpg

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Whiteman said:
Astro, you need to work on finishing your turns!!
laugh.gif

Lucky bastaard
tantrum.gif

Astro ski's like his ankles are welded together.

no shortage of style there let me tell you !

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass