1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Sunroute Hotel Shiga Kogen ?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ausi ski bum, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

I am heading back to Shiga Kogen next season and am looking at alternate places to stay, I was at the Prince East last time and while its a great hotel its very isolated.

I have seen the Sunroute web site and it looks nice but a few questions, what isthe food like, I have a couple of fussy's with me that prefer western food.

I am looking at three rooms, two couples and a single, can you recall what rooms are like

Location wise, it appears to be a bit of a walk to the nearest lift, how far is it and can you ski back at days end or again is there a walk.

What night skiing is available in that area.

How far to the closest bus stop

I appreciate your thoughts.

2. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

stayed there for three nights three weeks ago.

Western breakfast was fine, no dramas. Don't think the lunch and dinners will be very western friendly, but then again I didn't check. You can get western type foods in the few restaurants in the village, which is only a five minute walk ago.

On the location thing, look it was a three or so minute walk to the closest lift. You can ski back to the hotel on the other side of the road, more or less, but the walk to the lifts could be a struggle for kids. It isn't that long really, but it would be a good hundred or two hundred meters.

Night skiing is available at the closest lift. It is also available at the lift right in the village, which is on the same side of the road as the hotel. It is also available at all the other places. The sky was alight at nights!

Bus stop for the Nagano transfer is very close too. The Sunroute hotel guy can give you a lift there if need be, but it is just across the road from the closest lift.

My only gripe with Shiga are the traversing. It is all well and good to have a massive resort but it needs to be properly linked. I didn't like the way the snow bridge over the road connected the two valleys. That being said, once you are up there, Shiga is definitely worth it and I wouldn't not go because of the traversing.

The rooms are standard. Bathroom is nice. Nothing to write home about. Whole building is out of the 1980s though.

Restaurant next door to the hotel rocks though! Really well done.

3. xski

xski First Runs

Hi ausi,

We stayed at the Sunroute this year and had a great time.
    The hotel is a bit dated but clean, comfortable & the staff were all friendly & helpful.

Western food available for breakfast & dinners with enough variation to keep most happy each night. You can purchase a meal package when booking & are issued with vouchers that cam be used in the restaurant / gift shop.

Again the rooms have a circa 1990 appeal to them but were comfortable & good views from the front ones.

Only a 5 minute walk across carpark & ski down to the nearest lift or there is a bus stop almost directly across the road & in front of the hotel to catch shuttle to other areas.

Hope this helps.

4. blutek

blutek One of Us

quick & easy, not Hokkaido, ASB.

5. SmigDaddy

SmigDaddy First Runs

Hi Ausi,
    Stayed there this year too, and our assessment was that it was OK, but will stay at Prince next time.
    We thought the food was pretty average - but we had come from Nozawa Onsen and had enjoyed a variety of terrific Japanese offerings so the western style buffet thing was a bit of a letdown. Note; as Pigface says the restaurant next door is good.
    Location wise it's fine, and as the others have said its a short walk to lifts.
    The rooms are fine, and the staff are friendly. The one thing we found lacking was an apre area. There are some lounge chairs in the lobby but there isnt really anywhere to meet with friends and share a drink etc.
    We visited the Prince to meet friends and really appreciated the lounge / restaurant areas there.

6. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This is typical Japanese resort style. You generally clear your room(of futons) and have your party there.....

#6 Sandy, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  7. SmigDaddy

SmigDaddy First Runs

Yes Sandy, agreed. But the Sunroute is not a typical Japanese ryokan. It's a western style hotel with big solid beds, and no chance of folding them up and out of the way.

8. Sandy

Yep, so here is the problem!!! A traditional Japanese hotel (not just Ryokan!!!!), have tatami mats and futons, so you CAN party in your room. A slightly more modern or refurbished Japanese hotel may have western beds so you CAN'T move them out of the way to have a party!!!!!

#8 Sandy, Mar 23, 2011
  9. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

the ryokan we stayed at in ningyocho was definitely onced used for a party, a bukkake one, I am certain.

/endrun commence Donza fap

10. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

I have done Hokkaido many times now and while I have also been to Shiga the family has not and there are five of us this trip, with a variety of skiing skills, Shigga is a great choice and easy to get to from Tokyo.

I may look at a second resort in the area as well to add a little variety.

This trip will be from 22 December to 6 January so I have the holiday period to contend with and early snow conditions.

#10 ausi ski bum, Mar 23, 2011
  11. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

[​IMG] [​IMG] & [​IMG]

#11 skiflat, Mar 23, 2011
  12. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Nozawa is really quite close, but i would leave it to the last bit as the base is much lower.
    Shiga is probably as safe as you could get for central japan at that time of year, and i did notice quite a few snow guns which will give you some peace of mind for early season.

13. Sandy

Shiga Kogen gets a lot less natural snow than Nozawa Onsen.

#13 Sandy, Mar 23, 2011
  14. cin

but what it gets tends to stay much longer early season when the freezing levels can still fly up to 2000m + a day or so after one of the early season dumps?

15. cin

and to add to this I did notice most of Nozawa gets a battering from the sun due to its aspect, whereas Shiga has so many different aspects there would have to be many areas that hold the early season snow quite well?

16. Donza

Donza Pool Room

[​IMG]

#16 Donza, Mar 23, 2011