Poll Survey - Trip report, pics, updates & conditions (aka 'Stoke') threads.

I **USUALLY** take the following path to navigate to the Trip Report, Pics & Conditions thread

• (Desktop) Ski Homepage > Link direct to stoke thread in the Perisher box under Australian Resorts

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • (Desktop) Ski Homepage > Forum homepage > Perisher category > stoke thread

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • (Desktop) Ski Homepage > Active Topics/Newest Posts > stoke thread

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • (Desktop) Forum Homepage (bookmarked) > Active Topics/Newest Posts > stoke thread

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • (Desktop) Active Topics/Newest Posts (bookmarked) > stoke thread

• (Desktop/Mobile) Via 'red flag' notifications or 'watched' threads when I'm logged in.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • (Mobile) Ski Mobile Hompage > link direct to stoke thread

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • (Mobile) Ski mobile homepage > Active Topics > stoke thread

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • (Mobile) Stoke thread is bookmarked/always open

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • (Desktop/Mobile) Some crazy-ass pathway I'm not even sure of (detail below pls)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Along with the Observation and Prediction threads, the Trip Reports, Pics, Updates & Conditions threads (aka 'Stoke' threads) for the five major resorts are consistently among the most popular threads in the forums during winter.

I'm trying to get a fix on how people find these threads and navigate to them. Specifically I'm trying to get a handle on how the regulars find these threads. Google analytics provides a little insight - but it does not discern between regular members and non-members.

Take the time to read the different paths and choose the pathway you usually take.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
I assume you mean the trip report thread for each resort and I assume in the first few options with Perisher, replace Perisher with resort of choice? Based on that I have cast my vote.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
When the year's new threads are created, I either mark as a 'Watch Thread' or I have participated. From there I go to 'watched threads'. I think this is often first found when last year's threads get a post to the new year's threads.
Don't think any of your vote options cover 'watched' - unless you are counting as bookmarked

My typical forum behaviour:
1. View unread watched threads
2. If time, view active topics

Reactions: Richard

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
I think Team Bears blunder through most of the internet stuff.....but we look for alerts firstly and click on them is they are relevant to us.....
As the winter starts ...we dive into different Resorts(Baw Baw.Lake Mt.Mt Buller etc......as a second approach ..

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
When the year's new threads are created, I either mark as a 'Watch Thread' or I have participated. From there I go to 'watched threads'. I think this is often first found when last year's threads get a post to the new year's threads.
Don't think any of your vote options cover 'watched' - unless you are counting as bookmarked

My typical forum behaviour:
1. View unread watched threads
2. If time, view active topics

ta. Didn't think of 'watched' but lets call watched threads the same as notifications - survey edited - you can vote now.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Usually via my notifications. The ones that say "someone replied to a thread" rather than they liked your post, because my posts are generally unlikeable

Oh! Just saw an option for that. Ticked. Carry on.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
None of the above. I have the forums bookmarked (opening when Firefox starts). I scroll down to Thredbo and then look in the forum for the conditions thread.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It's more like this for me:

giphy.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
This one on desktop, laptop or phone.
(Desktop) Active Topics/Newest Posts (bookmarked) > stoke thread
active topics is bookmarked on desktop, laptop, tablet & phone. NFI which I use most. depends on the day. I voted desktop but could just as easily have voted mobile.

I get notifications for new FC threads, but by definition that's normally non stoke threads

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
As I suspected, Active Topics is primary pathway, whether first or second click, with a myriad of other pathways of which none stand out.

Active topics is an interesting mechanic as it serves as both navigation to popular knowns and as serendipitous discovery.

Just reaffirms that the important element is the Active Topics button on desktop and mobile homepages.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Homepage > Active Topics > Perisher (or other) trip reports.
Desktop 90/10 Mobile pre-season, 10/90 during season.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Ski.com is always a tab open on phone or desktop.

I hit refresh or similar, check notifications, active topics, suspect I see it there for the first time, for perisher.

If I am curious about another resort, or heading to another resort I would go via the resort forum.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Sometimes I get to trip reports for overseas resorts by clicking on the country (eg ‘Canada’) and seeing what’s there. They don’t always show up in ‘active topics’ if there has been no activity for a while.

J_busworth

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2017
Coogee, NSW
transportnswblog.com
As I suspected, Active Topics is primary pathway, whether first or second click, with a myriad of other pathways of which none stand out.

Active topics is an interesting mechanic as it serves as both navigation to popular knowns and as serendipitous discovery.

Just reaffirms that the important element is the Active Topics button on desktop and mobile homepages.

I have never been in the Active Topics menu until just then in nearly 2 years on the site. WOW, there is soooo much there and so many threads I wouldn't have even considered looking for. Thanks for opening my eyes!

Reactions: Ozgirl and nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I just clicked on the 'active topics' link for the first time ever. Too much stuff in there for me.

As someone who mainly stays in the Snow section of the forum and rarely ventures into the Conversation subject area, I know exactly what you mean!

Reactions: aazz

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I just clicked on the 'active topics' link for the first time ever. Too much stuff in there for me.

I have never been in the Active Topics menu until just then in nearly 2 years on the site. WOW, there is soooo much there and so many threads I wouldn't have even considered looking for. Thanks for opening my eyes!

<vadar>Join me on the Dark Side and together we'll rule the galaxy..</vader>

Once you start to use Active Topics you'll never go back to the old way.

Warning: You will be subject to DJOTD.

(The upside of which is you will harden the fu*c up and likely get that promotion at work because you can better make difficult life choices.)

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
trip reports for overseas

Yes, International trip reports are a different animal to the Australian 'stoke' threads, both in how they are discovered and the type of content they hold.

This survey was about the stoke threads as they are very active right now. @Normo 's regular postings this last few years has generated a huuuuge following and have turned the Perisher stoke thread into the best snow report in Australia, bar none.

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
Yes, International trip reports are a different animal to the Australian 'stoke' threads, both in how they are discovered and the type of content they hold.

This survey was about the stoke threads as they are very active right now. @Normo 's regular postings this last few years has generated a huuuuge following and have turned the Perisher stoke thread into the best snow report in Australia, bar none.

Happy to Share! :D

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com

I'm surprised you didn't mention the survey in that thread :D

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
<vadar>Join me on the Dark Side and together we'll rule the galaxy..</vader>

Once you start to use Active Topics you'll never go back to the old way.

Warning: You will be subject to DJOTD.

(The upside of which is you will harden the fu*c up and likely get that promotion at work because you can better make difficult life choices.)
I know we can ignore people..However i'd like to ignore whole threads
The AFL one for instance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass