Suspend Private Health whilst OS?

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hi Folks,

Just wondered who here suspends their Private Health cover whilst they are OS?

In the past we have done this as it saves $$ (and you aren't going to use lover cover and are covered via Travel Insurance) however this year the other half reckons the accountant has said it impacts our returns so I have been tasked with paying the premium or looking at the costs (tax wise) vs saves (premium wise) so I thought I would ask the question to you knowledgeable travellers what you have done in the past for extended trips etc..

Last few years we have been going OS for 2+ months each time so that's a fair chunk in premium for a family of 4.

TIA

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Southern part of Brisbane
What would happen if you suspended it and then had an accident and had to come home early for some treatment? Would you have to wait out the suspension period? I have never suspended my private insurance and this year I will be O/S for 12 weeks (11 weeks on snow). Never even thought of doing it to be truthful.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Did it while I was on an overseas posting (3 years) and the other half came back to oz once and was able to restart and re suspend it for a few weeks with no problems.

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
So getting back to this:-

from Bupa website said:
A membership may be suspended when travelling overseas for work or leisure. If you are travelling overseas, you may apply to suspend your membership during your travels. You can suspend your cover for the following period of time:
  • a minimum period of two months travel; and
  • a maximum period of two years per suspension
  • you can only suspend your policy twice per calendar year
  • you must recommence paying your premiums upon resumption of your policy
  • one monthly contribution is required between each suspension period.
To be eligible to suspend your cover you must:
  • have been a contributing member for at least 12 months
  • apply for suspension prior to the departure date
  • provide overseas travel documentation showing your departure and return dates
  • notify us of your return to Australia within 30 days of your arrival; and
  • complete an overseas travel suspension form.
For full terms and conditions of suspension, please refer to the Application to suspend your membership form (PDF, 428Kb).
To determine whether you may be required to pay the additional 1% Medicare levy during temporary suspension of your health insurance membership, please:
  • consult your tax agent, or
  • the Australian Taxation Office
For more information on different Bupa health insurance options, you can either compare health insurance or get a health insurance quote online.
I never did get around to calling the accountant or ATO so just paid the premium. She had said the accountant had said don't bother (but told me I needed to confirm) so from the above I assume that means we would be impacted by the 1% Medicare levy but then that would have been the case for the last 3 trips where I am pretty sure she did suspend the cover.

Why did you reckon it wasn't worth it MP?

Hey Cin - srry for the tardy response. I been around LOL not been up to too much on the renos but I did finish the below little job recently:-

v7yDqk9.jpg

You can see how weathered the existing steps were (need to clean them up and re oil etc. - I must have built them 4 years ago time can get away from us "slacker" renovators :D). At the time I wanted some sort of divide between the concrete and the stairs and the idea was to build the planters (fill with herbs etc.). God damn I thought it would be a one day job - not quite LOL, looking at that how long would you have said it should have taken?

And yesterday I also got around to installing a solar security light I have had sitting in the garage for maybe at least 4 years as well - oh well - better late than never as they say ;)

freddy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2007
Newcastle
I have suspended mine a few times. no problems.
3 months. can only do it once a year..
saves me quite a few bucks..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass