1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question SUV Tyres good for Snow/Highway?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by snowgum, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Aren't retreads illegal ? If not they darn well should be. There is absolutely no possible way I would ever let any of my family use retreads , even if I had to buy new tyres for them just to make sure. I have 0 trust in retreads.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  2. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I used them for about 5 years on my 1st car... never had an issue.

coolair likes this.
  3. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Never heard of retreads for passenger vehicles. Commercial trucks use them and that's about it.

4. teckel

teckel Not a Loser Ski Pass: Gold

I have retreads on my trailer.

5. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

About to get a set of Grabbers for the Tritan throughout this winter trip starting in 25 days (not counting). The AT3's are snow rated and have good reviews from the ol USA. Whilst I was very surprised at just how well the Bridgestone HT's performed last year, particularly self-cleaning ice and snow and therefore keeping rubber to the road, I was just getting a bit nervous about them with another year of tread worn away. Nervousness is not good towing a van to and from Island Bend from time to time throughout the season.

6. mick chopps

Just on the topic of the OP.
    I’ve settled on Pirelli Scorpian AT’s for our xtrail.
    1. Because they’re gonna offer the best compromise between off road and bitumen handling and braking performance.
    And 2. Because I got stupidly good price on them so the extra $15/each over a decent Highway tyre was a no brainer.

snowgum likes this.
  7. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Its a long way from retreads to Pirelli's , good on you for making something of yourself :). The Pirellis are a decent tyre so I am told , never tried them myself mainly because they don't make them to fit my rims and I require a little more than a highway/offroad 60/40 hybrid. Horses for courses I guess. If you shop around a bit I have seen them for the same price as the Goodrich KO2's and would be a good compromise for the big city types who do a bit of weekender trips.

I guess this thread has shown the OP that there are various options in suitable tyres depending upon actual requirements.

8. mick chopps

It’s a long time since I was an 18y/o of limited financial means driving a 1.5l lancer coupe around the streets of Wodonga... I had no qualms about the retreads when it was all my limited budget could afford.
    As for the Pirelli’s, yeah they’re not a genuine off roader but they’re perfect for what we need and I got them for a steal. Hard to get though, literally only 40 of them ordered into the country of which 30 have already pre sold prior to delivery.

qwill likes this.
  9. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Falken AT3's (they're all terrain) also have the 3PMSF certification, no mention on their website, but I saw the tyre with my own two eyes and it has it. Speaking to my local tyre guy and he seemed quite knowledgable about driving in snow. They are a little cheaper than the BF goodrich KO2s but won't last quite as long (100K KO2 vs 70-80K AT3). He suggested that sometimes the KO2s rubber gets quite hard when they get a bit older which may affect your stopping ability in the wet. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on the falkens.

dawooduck likes this.
  10. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger Latte Sipper Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

What about for a moderately-supercharged V8 Holden Monaro with a buggered limited slip diff?

11. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Buggered = welded?

12. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger Latte Sipper Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

More like "Un-limited slip diff" IE behaving like an open-center. Nevermind, it's getting a truetrac soonish anyway :)

13. mick chopps

Probs gonna hit Hoth Monday so the new Scorpion ATR’s will get a workout up and back via Omeo.

14. snowgum

snowgum A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds great MC! We liked our Scorps on the Rav ~ 15-20 years ago!

Good grip! Fairly quiet! Fairly puncture resistant while offroading.

Did go a tad hard / bouncy after 8 years or so.

Had sort of expected it.

Enjoy!

Fwiw: likely to get the Scorpion AS Verde for Kluger. Soon. Dont really need the off road capacity.

mick chopps likes this.
  15. mick chopps

When Mrs Chopps took the chariot in to get them fitted old mate at K-Mart T&A did his best to convince her to buy something else. Too noisy he said. blah blah blah. Barely any discernible difference to the HWY tyres that were on it originally.

snowgum likes this.
  16. snowgum

Cant say that with all suv tyres or even suvs per say.

A mate of mine who drives a Paj (with Yokos i think?) always remarked how quiet the 03 Pathy was/is on Cooper ATs (3).

The quieter the tyre the more engine / woind noise you hear!!

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Team Bears still trying to attach the Milo tin to the terminal portion of the exhaust pipe!
    We like to sound our best when we are hammering up the Hume.

18. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

Be warned about quoted tyre mileage quotes,
    I’ve owned 2 sets of BFG A/Ts and got terrible mileage out of them but they were great tyres,
    I then went to silverstone AT 117 with good results,
    Next car I put Maxxis 771 that were great on the beach and highway mix.
    Next I’ll try Falken or K02’s.

Endless_Winter likes this.
  19. nfip

nfip Cold 'n Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Let them Roos know Team Bears are coming !

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  20. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Never mind the rubber wheels..lots of dodgy vehicles coming towards you with the faulty airbags....

Thousands of vehicles still to be recalled for a new unit!
    Started out as a minor problem now it’s a major headache for road authorities !

Talk of refusing to renew registration of vehicles that have not been certified as fixed!

21. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Yep, he wasn't really 'guaranteeing' any mileage, more saying that the falkens won't last as long as the KO2s.

22. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I replaced the Goodrich with Falken for this exact reason. The Goodrich had 90k on them and the hardening had made them "very interesting" on wet tarmac. The At3W are also a lot quieter.

Endless_Winter likes this.
  23. Darb

Darb Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I always upgrade new tyres at around the 60 - 70% worn mark. Coopers, mickeys, BFG ... they all go "hard" as they wear out (plus they get weaker, have less puncture resistance). On 4wd or anything other than a town-car anyway.

Someone on gumtree always buys them second hand for a token amount

100k from a tyre is madness, no way can that be attained without driving around on hardened (therefore useless) rubber.

sly_karma and nfip like this.
  24. snowgum

Fwiw: I really hate hard old (shiny?) tyres - on any car. Such tyres on my old Falcon were horrendous in the wet - even with some grip left. Reminded me of an old tyre add where the car's rear is on its own little 'Magical Mystery Tour'.

I'd go grip over totat mileage any day. Tyres with some kms left are no good to you when you're dead in a ditch!

25. snowgum

I think the Aussie (summer) UV levels are murder on tyres - I can't prove it of course! I assume tyres also oxidise but Stong summer midday UV on cars in the open for years must harden the 'rubber' compounds.

Which is frustrating as our roads are rough enough already! I describe our local suburban roads as 'four wheel drive test tracks'!

nfip likes this.
  26. stansi

stansi One of Us

Same.

27. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Good info, thanks for that - seems to confirm what my tyre guy told me and nice to know falkens are quieter.

28. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

I agree our climate murders tyres often quicker than kilometers,
    I read that the Snow tyres are meant to be stored at temps under 28 deg.

29. Darb

Darb Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah the life of a tyre can't be a pretty one , I've alwqys been amazed at how tyres cope.

The amount of times I've done all day driving in a heavy 4wd, on a 40 - 44c day, full crew of family and gear onboard to the tune of a few tonne... doing hundreds of kilometers at high speed. Then there's the airing down to 12PSI and doing lots of hot & soft sand / track work over rocks in peak summer. Tyres just keep on going, touch wood

30. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Agree, agree . o snow tyres needed here.

31. snowgum

Sorry O tyres?

32. mick chopps

No snow tyres

33. snowgum

'O'! I was expecting something new & exciting! (;-/)

34. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Sorry O tyres!

35. sly_karma

Experiencing similar here in southern interior BC. Summer days in the high 30s, and bloody long daylight hours (16+ in high summer). Then in the winter the rubber hardens again in the low temps unless you go full winter. But those burn off super fast if you drive them in summer so you're faced with managing/storing two sets of tyres and rims or lining up at the tyre place for changeover each spring and autumn.

The other thing I'm tasked with is sidewall strength/load rating. My work vehicles need 10 ply because of sometimes heavy loads, and also because of the rough surfaces on the job sites. My truck came with nice Goodyear Wrangler SR/A from the factory, M+S pattern and super smooth and quiet ride. I really liked them because they were so refined on the highway and yet handled winter conditions easily - same tyres all year. But they're only 6 ply sidewalls, too lightweight for my application. I've replaced three of them due to sidewall damage from sharp rocks or being run at low pressure (went 200 m to get to a place safe enough to change the tyre).

10 ply tyres are more expensive, fair enough because more materials and more complex manufacturing process. But the choices are fewer and the tread patterns aren't as refined, noisier at highway speeds. Surely tyre makers realise that lots of people drive their pickups long distances on highways, those things are just glorified family station wagons for many people. What I really want is the SR/A again but with a 10 ply sidewall.

36. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Who among the fourby drivers here airs down in the snow to increase the contact patch?

37. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

Never for on road resort driving but probably should,
    I come from a beach driving background and it makes a huge difference.
    I’ve seen people completely bogged and stuck, let a heap of air out and cleaned out the sand under their car and they crawl straight out.
    But doing this regularly on sand you can cook on takes it’s toll on tyres probably not so much the odd trip in bad snow though.

38. dawooduck

Given that 99% of snow driving is done on tarmac or graded dirt with a few cms of hard pack snow ..... no.

On snow on tarmac you want to rip through not float above.

sly_karma likes this.
  39. Ziggy

Depends on the kind of snow. Or ice.

40. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

It just adds contact size, a 245 could effectively turn into a 265 or even a 285 if aired down enough on a big enough sidewall but not as effective these days as tyres get lower profile.
    I agree it helps to float rather than dig but most accidents I’ve seen in snow are under brakes and downhill so a bigger bag on the tyre would help a fair bit.

41. dawooduck

Yah nah 2cm of scraped off snow frozen snot ice tarmac is not sand driving.

Snow contact is all about cutting through, tread patterns and rubber compounds.

People loosing traction on the down is basically a case of over driving the conditions and the blinged up 4WD crew are classics for that.

sly_karma likes this.
  42. snowgum

Fwiw: quite sobering to see a well looked after cross on the side of the GAR near Cobungra - just below a couple of nasty 'sweeping' corners. Would usually be below snowline.

43. sly_karma

Duck is right. On the road, cutting through is better than wide and floaty. (Different story on deep snow offroad snow). Keep tyre pressures normal, snow is different to sand. 4WD doesn't help with braking or cornering. 4WD won't prevent from getting stuck, in fact you'll still get stuck but with 4WD you'll have the pleasure of being stuck deeper and further from home.

dawooduck likes this.
  44. Ziggy

Ice is the most treacherous. Need chains to cut through that.

dawooduck likes this.
  45. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

An icy road surface is not always the cause of the problems on alpine roads, deep wet snow slush can easily turn a driver into a passenger.

On a wet country road hydroplaning or aquaplaning is dangerous. However slush planing, that can occur when driving on wet soft snow on alpine roads, is even more dangerous. When slush planing occurs you cannot steer, or brake, the vehicle because the tyre loses contact with the road even at very low speed.

The combination of deep slushy melting snow, a layer of water on the road surface, and possibly ice can make driving extremely dangerous, even for the most experienced driver. Slush has a higher viscosity than water, therefore is pastier, and cannot flow through the tyre tread channels as easily as water.

The tread pattern of an M+S tyre will not disperse this wet snow slush from underneath the tyre. The contact between the tyre and the road will be lost, and so will the grip.

46. dawooduck

Thankfully we don't get a lot of hard smooth ice

47. Ziggy

Indeed.

48. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

https://www.nokiantyres.com/innovation/facts-about-tyres/tyre-inflation-pressures/

“Temperature has a significant impact on tyre pressurisation. For summer tyres, we recommend using the vehicle manufacturer’s suggested tyre pressure. For winter tyres, you should inflate the tyres to 0.2 bar above the summer tyre recommendation. The temperature in a warm garage can be up to 30 ˚C higher than outside. If the tyre pressure is measured inside, it will be too low for outside temperatures.

Example: The temperature in the garage is +20 ˚C, while the outside temperature is -10˚ C à If the pressure is adjusted in the garage, the pressure added to the tyres must be 30 kPa (0.3 bar) higher than the recommended value to ensure a correct pressure level outside.”

49. RobDawg66

RobDawg66 Hard Yards

I got a toy 4x4,I used Cooper ATR’s on it, was very impressed with the overall performance, good grip on the highway, not so much on dirt and snow, they have an M&S on them but in snow over 10cm , very dicey!!

50. Ziggy

I run BFG KO2s. Great tyres (though slippy when new). BUT there's no substitute for a bit of skill - how to recover from a slide, how to recognise one the moment it happens, how to avoid one.
    All this talk about the tool, none about the user.

dawooduck likes this.