Question SUV Tyres good for Snow/Highway?

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Who sells those scorpions that cheep? Tempe Tyres $270 Beaurepairs $370?

Tempe. Did they quote you $270? I was buying 265 70 r16, maybe they were trying to clear them when I bought?

Was meaning to update that they've been really good. Handled wet road, off road and gravel really well. There was sort of snow when I went up to Perisher, but road is pretty well maintained and cleared up there so not sure they mattered. Can't speak for longevity.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Tempe. Did they quote you $270? I was buying 265 70 r16, maybe they were trying to clear them when I bought?

Was meaning to update that they've been really good. Handled wet road, off road and gravel really well. There was sort of snow when I went up to Perisher, but road is pretty well maintained and cleared up there so not sure they mattered. Can't speak for longevity.

Longevity.... If my experience is anything to go by, it is just amazing for these, but majority highway..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snow drive solutions

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2019
MELBOURNE
www.snowdrivesolutions.com.au
I was meaning treated to stop ice forming at all as overseas with brine and beet. Clearing does not stop black ice.

Just looking for advice son tyre brand for use in the Alps. Are there any that work in our conditions as well. I always thought this was not really possible
Please send me your email and will email you back withe the tyre details
cheers Richard
richard@snowtyres.com.au

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I am still driving on My first set of Hankook Dynapro AT tyres. They are wearing super well and are M & S rated with the snow symbol on the rims. When the day comes I will get the same set of tyres again without fail.

I have driven them through shallow creek crossings in the Grampians, Mud and deep puddles near Tom's hut , A dirt road with 30 -40 cm of unploughed fresh snow ( sans chains ) on the Mt. St. Gwinear road, fresh snow covered approaches to Mt. Baw Baw and Falls Creek ( could n't be bothered putting chains on there either, just put it in Low gear and crawl up & don't brake or steer like a numptie), Steep unsealed ascents and descents to and from The Bluff Hut etc., Hailstorms on Brock's road ,
Down Road No . 3 to Carter's road :-0
etc. .

Last edited:
Reactions: skull and sly_karma

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Reviving an old thread. Two years ago I was asking about the Pirelli Scorpion AT+ tyres. I bought four and they've been good. Haven't really noticed them and had them on dirt, road, ice, snow (very little), gravel. Rear tyres look in very good condition still (done roughly 30k). My front driver side tyres are warn due to 'wheel rack end movement' so the inside of the tyre is bald.

Anyway, I need new front tyres and cheapest quality all terrain tyre this time is the Hankook Dynapro AT2 (RF11). The scorpions are $280 compared to the $200 Dynapros AT2. So it'd be a decent savings for me. Has anyone used these? These are the new model ones which replaced the rf10s in around 2019.

Main issue is road noise, wear and performance in wet conditions on roads. Assume off road is decent enough.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Hankook Dyna Pro tyres are very tough long wearing AT /M tyres with an agressive tread but they are noisey on the highways. I now have Yokohama Geolander GO 15 AT snow rated tyres and they are quiet but grippy.
I always change all four tyres when they are worn so I can start afresh with a new set on my old RAV 4 AWD SUV.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Reviving an old thread. Two years ago I was asking about the Pirelli Scorpion AT+ tyres. I bought four and they've been good. Haven't really noticed them and had them on dirt, road, ice, snow (very little), gravel. Rear tyres look in very good condition still (done roughly 30k). My front driver side tyres are warn due to 'wheel rack end movement' so the inside of the tyre is bald.

Anyway, I need new front tyres and cheapest quality all terrain tyre this time is the Hankook Dynapro AT2 (RF11). The scorpions are $280 compared to the $200 Dynapros AT2. So it'd be a decent savings for me. Has anyone used these? These are the new model ones which replaced the rf10s in around 2019.

Main issue is road noise, wear and performance in wet conditions on roads. Assume off road is decent enough.
yeah had a set of the Dynapros a few years back .
they where pretty good .
not too noisey.
great on the dirt and in the snow, also on wet black top.
can't recall the km i got out of them , dont think they would compare with the Pirelli ( or Cooper)
have these now and love them.
feel better on the road than the Hankook so would be worth a look.

Reactions: GobrinIce

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
The Hankook Dyna Pro tyres are very tough long wearing AT /M tyres with an agressive tread but they are noisey on the highways. I now have Yokohama Geolander GO 15 AT snow rated tyres and they are quiet but grippy.
I always change all four tyres when they are worn so I can start afresh with a new set on my old RAV 4 AWD SUV.
LOL.
I didn't think they where too noisey.
But I have terrible tinnitus so radio / music is always pretty loud .

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks @nfip and @Mister Tee on XC Skis. I think given timeline of both of your usage you may have had the older rf10 version of the Dynapros? Did you get them prior to 2019?

I like the wildpeaks as well but they'd be same price as scorpion AT+ tyres so probably not much reason to change.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Thanks @nfip and @Mister Tee on XC Skis. I think given timeline of both of your usage you may have had the older rf10 version of the Dynapros? Did you get them prior to 2019?

I like the wildpeaks as well but they'd be same price as scorpion AT+ tyres so probably not much reason to change.
I got at least 70 thousand Kms out of the Hankook Dynapro AT- M tyres.
Going from Highway tyres to those was like the difference between night and day for snow driving , mud, shallow creek crossings , gravel roads etc. The limit of what a 2003 RAV can do including some stunt driving up a
very washed out rutted Keppel's hut track in the Lake Mountain area.
Oh boy, I had to reverse and charge at that section a number of times in low gear and only two wheels were making contact with the earth at times.
:-0

Reactions: snowgum

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country

yeah would have been couple years before
but no complaints they where a great tyre,
I was coming off Cooper AT3 which where lethal on wet bitumen

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
yeah would have been couple years before
but no complaints they where a great tyre,

Yeah, I mention it just because acccording to promotional material on the newer ones, and obviously advertising is completely reliable, they have improved grip and noise:

"The Dynapro AT2 features a multi-directional tread design for improved traction in wet, winter and off-road conditions, while decreasing road noise and increasing ride comfort. The tire boasts a longer tread life due to a wider, more advanced footprint resulting in more evenly distributed stress and uniform wear."

But reading any information on any tyre and they say similar things.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hey @GobrinIce,

JFYI - if you didn’t need Off-road ability, I can recommend the Pirelli Scorpian Verde Scorpion All Season for bitumen and snow on the Kluger. They’re nice and quite on the black top at speed and fairly grippy on snow - not to AT stds (as in Cooper AT3 on our Pathfinder).

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-verde-all-season/215_65-r17

Everything is a compromise.

Btw: I advise caution choosing one tyre over another, principally on price considerations- but I sympathise with you on the shock of getting 4 big AT tyres, with F, A&B.

More than an EB Epic pass! Ouch!

Reactions: GobrinIce

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Hey @GobrinIce,

JFYI - if you didn’t need Off-road ability, I can recommend the Pirelli Scorpian Verde Scorpion All Season for bitumen and snow on the Kluger. They’re nice and quite on the black top at speed and fairly grippy on snow - not to AT stds (as in Cooper AT3 on our Pathfinder).

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-verde-all-season/215_65-r17

Everything is a compromise.

Btw: I advise caution choosing one tyre over another, principally on price considerations- but I sympathise with you on the shock of getting 4 big AT tyres, with F, A&B.

More than an EB Epic pass! Ouch!
Yeah, I agree. Just looking at opinions etc there seems little between the scorpions and AT2s so getting the cheaper one probably not that much of a compromise. There are cheaper knock off brands at around 120-150 which I'm avoiding. Where I shop at Tempe tyres, AT2s are $200 and scorpions are $210. Just they don't have the scorpions there and they're much more expensive elsewhere.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Gargamel

Addicted
May 28, 2022
Sydney
Just getting fitted a set of Dunlop AT3’s to our Mazda CX 5. It’s an all terrain tyre on an AWD - not the safest going around but hopefully enough to get us up and down the mountain safely without chains so long as I drive carefully.

I’m going to run them at 40lbs - if it’s is really Icey and slippery, what pressure does everyone suggest is optimal to run them at? I’m guessing about 20lbs would be ok until I make it to the petrol station at Jindabyne?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I’m going to run them at 40lbs - if it’s is really Icey and slippery, what pressure does everyone suggest is optimal to run them at? I’m guessing about 20lbs would be ok until I make it to the petrol station at Jindabyne?
? You run them at the recommended tyre pressure.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Just getting fitted a set of Dunlop AT3’s to our Mazda CX 5. It’s an all terrain tyre on an AWD - not the safest going around but hopefully enough to get us up and down the mountain safely without chains so long as I drive carefully.

I just run mine at normal pressures.

Any new tyre with fresh tread is better than an old tyre, just drive carefully

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Its not like you're driving on sand...
Exactly. Also a common misconception that big grooves and tread blocks are better in snow, like mud tyres. Actually AT/HT tyres outperform mud type tyres in snow. You want small treadblocks, which flex more and get more heat into the rubber, and more grooves/siping to disperse water. Thats exactly what snow tyres have, as well as softer rubber compounds.

I’m talking about ploughed roads. If you are going on a snow covered fire trail, with deep snow and mud etc, thats a different story

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Exactly. Also a common misconception that big grooves and tread blocks are better in snow, like mud tyres. Actually AT/HT tyres outperform mud type tyres in snow. You want small treadblocks, which flex more and get more heat inti the rubber, and more grooves/siping to disperse water. Thats exactly what snow tyres have, as well as softer rubber compounds.

I’m talking about graded roads. If you are going on a snow covered fire trail, with deep snow and mud etc, thats a different stiry
Its a misconception many aussies and yanks have IMO.

3 tonnes of SUV, Pickup.
On these big grooves.

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Confirms my long-held suspicions.

Cooper aggressively promote long life as a benefit. Which implies that they probably use a very hard compound to achieve long life.

And hard compounds are notorious for poor wet bitumen grip.

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011

Interesting choice. I have them as they came on the car, but my research revealed much criticism albeit none of it that I can recall on a light(er) vehicle like yours.

I don’t personally have a bad word to say about them but have only had the car since December and done v little off road and no snow.

Reactions: Gargamel

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Cooper at3 where very grippy on snow. Had them on ute and van. Got about 110,000km on the ute.

You'd want to be driving aggressively around corners to notice the lack of traction. With the way highways are built these days theres no need to edge of seat cornering in many places. I'm happy to just back it off a bit when its wet and get a bit more wear out of the tyres.

Reactions: snowgum

Gargamel

Addicted
May 28, 2022
Sydney
Interesting choice. I have them as they came on the car, but my research revealed much criticism albeit none of it that I can recall on a light(er) vehicle like yours.

I don’t personally have a bad word to say about them but have only had the car since December and done v little off road and no snow.
My bad - I actually got the Dunlop Grandtrek AT5 225/65/R17’s 102H. The local guy I defer to - very Knowledgeable and great service. I trust he has matched them well for a CX 5 that will spend 99% of the time on sealed roads.

They look good! Nice and quiet too. Not ridiculously priced at $275 each fitted with a wheel balance and alignment. I’m happy, let’s see how they go in the long run.

image.jpg

Reactions: Karicta

snow drive solutions

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2019
MELBOURNE
www.snowdrivesolutions.com.au

WHAT IS THE CORRECT TYRE PRESSURE FOR A TYRE IN WINTER?
Temperature has a significant impact on tyre pressure.

For summer tyres, Nokian Tyres recommend using the vehicle manufacturer’s suggested tyre pressure. You can check your vehicle’s manual for the recommended tyre pressure.

For winter, you should inflate the tires to 0,2 bar (20kpa) above the summer tyre recommendation, this because tyre pressure decreases with a drop in ambient temperature.

To prolong the lifetime of the tyres, front and rear tyres should be rotated from one axle to another every 5,000-8,000 kilometres . As a result, the tires will wear evenly and show smaller differences in wear. Unfortunately this can not be done on the increasing number of SUVs that have ’staggered fitting’ wheels/tyres. New winter tyres should be carefully broken in. For the first 500 kilometres, avoid sudden acceleration and braking.

Reactions: nfip and Gargamel

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
My bad - I actually got the Dunlop Grandtrek AT5 225/65/R17’s 102H. The local guy I defer to - very Knowledgeable and great service. I trust he has matched them well for a CX 5 that will spend 99% of the time on sealed roads.

They look good! Nice and quiet too. Not ridiculously priced at $275 each fitted with a wheel balance and alignment. I’m happy, let’s see how they go in the long run.

image.jpg
I have run dunlop grandtrek At20 and At22 in the snow, and both have been excellent. Yours looks similar and should be good. The small extra siping on the tread blocks is a good feature for snow.

Just having new tyres gives you a massive advantage over 99% of people on the road. Just drive carefully, leave extra space, extremely gentle throttle, brake and steering inputs and you will be fine.

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Really basic review here...I had asked about the Hankook at2 tyres. I bought 2 for $200 each and can't tell the difference between them and the scorpions before them, despite being cheaper. Have done 1500kms or so on round trip from Sydney to falls etc. Grip, road noise, comfort all seem good on varied conditions. Haven't been off road yet.

A good criteria for this thread might just be a tyre with the snow logo thing and cheapest option of them. There are a variety of recommendations on here but most who bought with the snow peak logo seem happy with performance of tyres and perhaps not do much between them. The more expensive tyres like the Coopers and the KO2s seem not to attract so much praise.

But maybe these hankooks won't last so long, which would make me less keen on em.

Reactions: nfip

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Really basic review here...I had asked about the Hankook at2 tyres. I bought 2 for $200 each and can't tell the difference between them and the scorpions before them, despite being cheaper. Have done 1500kms or so on round trip from Sydney to falls etc. Grip, road noise, comfort all seem good on varied conditions. Haven't been off road yet.

A good criteria for this thread might just be a tyre with the snow logo thing and cheapest option of them. There are a variety of recommendations on here but most who bought with the snow peak logo seem happy with performance of tyres and perhaps not do much between them. The more expensive tyres like the Coopers and the KO2s seem not to attract so much praise.

But maybe these hankooks won't last so long, which would make me less keen on em.
AT Tyres with the snow rating symbol is the essential criteria for me when selecting AT tyres for my AWD SUV.

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
? You run them at the recommended tyre pressure.
But WHOSE recommendation?

When I had a Camry wagon the recommended pressures were 32psi unloaded, 35 loaded.
So because I regularly loaded the car I kept them at 35 all the time.
Not once did a service mechanic, or tyre dealer tell me I had the wrong pressures.

When I bought the forester the recommended pressures were 29/30psi.
I thought that was low because the tyres looked very under inflated at that pressure, so I kept them at 35psi.
When I put it in for the first service the Subaru workshop chastised me for having the tyre pressures too low! They said they were wearing excessively on the outside.
I had a go at them about the fact I had them 3psi above he recommended pressure.
A few weeks later I checked the pressures and found the dealer had set them to 42psi
I have replaced the tyres three times and each time the tyre shop has set the new tyres to 42psi. So that’s where I keep them.
Whenever I get the car serviced or tyres replaced they always say the tyre wear is good.

You would think if they were over inflated they would be going bald in the centre and the car would be bouncing

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Wildpeaks on my ute going well also. Up to 110000km on them and they look good for another 20000km at least. Worth the money you pay for them.

Did the Falkens make much difference to fuel economy? I need to replace tyres on Prado and thinking of the Wildpeaks

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Did the Falkens make much difference to fuel economy? I need to replace tyres on Prado and thinking of the Wildpeaks

Not sure because i've had the same set on the car from new. Couldn't imagine they would be any different to similar AT tyres.

Reactions: GS

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
But WHOSE recommendation?

When I had a Camry wagon the recommended pressures were 32psi unloaded, 35 loaded.
So because I regularly loaded the car I kept them at 35 all the time.
Not once did a service mechanic, or tyre dealer tell me I had the wrong pressures.

When I bought the forester the recommended pressures were 29/30psi.
I thought that was low because the tyres looked very under inflated at that pressure, so I kept them at 35psi.
When I put it in for the first service the Subaru workshop chastised me for having the tyre pressures too low! They said they were wearing excessively on the outside.
I had a go at them about the fact I had them 3psi above he recommended pressure.
A few weeks later I checked the pressures and found the dealer had set them to 42psi
I have replaced the tyres three times and each time the tyre shop has set the new tyres to 42psi. So that’s where I keep them.
Whenever I get the car serviced or tyres replaced they always say the tyre wear is good.

You would think if they were over inflated they would be going bald in the centre and the car would be bouncing
Car manufacturers recommend lower pressure I think to make the car ride feel nice, I generally go with whats on the tyre. (ish) But nearly always ~40ish

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
The coopers on our van did well getting in and out of the snowed in camp grounds last year.

Someone posted you don’t need to lower pressure for snow but I’ve had mine low for winter. During our 4wd training they said to treat driving on snow like being on sand.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using