Syd - Tokyo - Sapporo - Transfers and Bags

R113

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2013
Hello
I was hoping that someone who has been to Japan recently could help!

Flights & Transfers

We are booked to fly Sydney to Tokyo (Narita) then on to Sapporo on Qantas in late Feb.

I just noticed that the Tokyo to Sapporo flight flies from Haneda rather than Narita.

I am guessing that Qantas does not pay for the transfer costs from Narita to Haneda?

We may be able to change the flight to Sapporo, to one leaving from Narita (JAL Express) – would you recommend this to avoid the transit?

If we did this would the luggage be checked straight through to Sapporo?

The JAL express planes is a 737 and on the JAL website they mention that they have more restrictions on carry oversize baggage which is why I took the other flights which is on 777.

Baggage

On the Sydney to Tokyo flight we get 1 bag each, plus my partner gets an extra bag (Qantas club). I plan on taking a double ski bag with one set of skis and my clothes, my partner will take a luggage bag and a single ski bag.

My concern is that on transferring to the domestic JAL flight they will hit me with excess baggage on the oversized bag. Has anyone had any problems with a similar baggage setup this season.

Thanks in advance for your help and insights.

David

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
I just did the exact same thing with 2 excess bags at 23kg each. Qantas will charge you AU$120 each excess bag if you have any, JAL charged me nothing for the same 2 excess bags and did it with a lovely smile. The bus is JPY3000 (you pay) and leaves every 15 mins or so from outside the narita customs exit, you cant go wrong. Dont fear JAL fear qantas

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
The bits I think I can answer:
Leaving on JAL from Narita is easier, but the transfer is also easy. Buy a ticket at the counter opposite where you come out, catch a bus out the front, about a one hour trip, get some sleep. Cost to you about 3000 yen
They won't check your bags through to Chitose, you have to clear customs with all your stuff.
Normally whatever baggage conditions you had with Qantas will carry through to JAL, there and back. I never had a problem with a ski bag full of skis and clothes.

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
You also get to see fuji on the bus if its a clear day.You can also see it from Haneda airport lounge

R113

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2013
Thanks for all your help. On our return flight there is no options showing to fly into Narita from Sapparo through Qantas so we will need to do at least this transfer.

I might see if I can transfer the Narita to Sapparo flight so that I only need to do the transfer once (and hopefully see Fuji).

Thanks

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Sit in narita for 3 hours or take a scenic tour for JPY3000.Honestly its the most stress free event you will ever undertake.

Mrstr_Chief

One of Us
Nov 8, 2004
Sydney
Booked the same flights but we flew Jal Express from Narita, were there any options for the second leg..?

Also Bags on the way there were not sent though to Sapporo, had to grab and check-in again. On the way back they get sent straight to Syd.

Might be easier to go J*, Peach, Air Asia, or Skymark to Sapporo..? They all fly out of Narita.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
JoeKing said:
BobGnarly said:
You also get to see fuji on the bus if its a clear day.You can also see it from Haneda airport lounge

Didn't know that. Pic?
4599_83486238177_4260315_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

R113

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2013
Thanks.

We have one option to fly JAL Express from Narita on the way to Sapparo so I will try to change the flight.

On the way back all options for bookings via Qantas go via Haneda so I will be making the bus trip at least once.

Next trip I will be booking flights that don't require the extra transit and cost if possible.

Thanks

Mrstr_Chief

One of Us
Nov 8, 2004
Sydney
Yea just book straight to Tokyo or Osaka next time and fly a local airline to where ever... otherwise you might have a long wait in between flights. Thats what il be doing!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Coming home from Hokkaido I recommend Osaka.
Its easy as to transit.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Qantas is charging for ski/ snowboard bag, even if the total of 2bags is under 23kg.....

If I was heading for Hokkaido, I'd get Cathay, Thai, Singapore, or Korean into Haneda Airport, then the domestic leg is a breeze

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Sandy said:
Qantas is charging for ski/ snowboard bag, even if the total of 2bags is under 23kg.....

If I was heading for Hokkaido, I'd get Cathay, Thai, Singapore, or Korean into Haneda Airport, then the domestic leg is a breeze
Korean charge as well, only one bag..max 23 kgs.

Last edited by a moderator:

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Thai direct in to Sapporo had to be a good one, I have never had an issue with baggage on Thai, taken ski bag many a time.

R113

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2013
Hello All

I just wanted to say thanks for all your help and information. We had a great time in Japan in early march and we did not have any issues with our baggage.

When we were leaving Sydney the Qantas check in staff did mention that I may have an issue on JAL in Tokyo if they were under the same instructions as the JAL Sydney team as they evidently had to check everything. This had me a little worried, however, on the Tokyo/Sapparo flight they did not blink an eye at our bags, with our biggest concern being that it was snowing at Sapparo airport and they advised that we might not be able to land.

On the return Sapparo to Tokyo flight they did weigh the bags, but that was all.

All up a great trip and I will be going back!

Conditions at Haneda airport did not allow any great photos of Mount Fuji, however, I was able to get a blurry glimpse from the plane.

Thanks

David

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using