synthetic sleeping bags

garry gow

First Runs
Jul 24, 2000
wollongong NSW Australia
I'm toying with the idea of using 2 light compact synthetic bags inside one another +/- a liner for snow camping rather than spend big money on a new down bag. Something like a Palm pilot perhaps. Any opinions, suggestions or experiences out there?

seak

One of Us
Apr 8, 2003
Blue Mts
Initially, I thought - 'way to go!'
But then, sleeping bag nylon on sleeping bag nylon may slide against each other and bunch up, leading to uncomfortable lumps that you lie on. On the other hand, Lincoln Hall wrote in 'White Limbo', that the Australian team that summitted Everest in 1984 all used 2 (down?) sleeping bags, one inside the other to good effect.

I currently sleep in a 10 y.o. mont Voyager (no down in base) + closed-cell mat + 3/4 thermarest + down jacket + 2 pairs of long knicks, sometimes using a half-goretex bivy bag, and still feel cold when on snow.

Anyone got a link to those inflating mats with down in the base? Are they warmer than a thermarest? Will it resist punctures? Will it fit in sleeve of sleeping bags that have no down in the base.

Mont's traditional annual sale is on this weekend.
Friday 12 -8pm, Saturday 9am - 6pm, Sunday 10am - 3pm. 8 Ipswich Street, Fyshwick, ACT.

SWANK-E

First Runs
Jul 23, 2003
Melbourne
Visit site
that's what i have done for the first 3 years i started snow camping, it's fine.... they are easier to dry but heavier and bulkier.

the life span of a synthetic bag is also doesn't last as long, loosing the warmth factor.

recently moved to a down bag (mont) and never look back... so warm!!!!!!

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
seak said:
Anyone got a link to those inflating mats with down in the base? Are they warmer than a thermarest? Will it resist punctures? Will it fit in sleeve of sleeping bags that have no down in the base.
Activ8 are distributors for Exped Downmat. around $230 - mine had its first outing end of last season and I love it. Mine is Downmat 7 (7cm thick)- certainly no need in Oz for the 9cm version. It is lighter and more compact than my old style thickish Thermarest, warmer and way comfier. A minor downside is that it takes a little more time and fiddle to inflate, but this is more than compensated by a good night's sleep. No problems so far with leakage - same risk as a thermarest I would think. As to fit, it is a little wider than my thermarest - about 60cm - if this width is OK it should be fine in the sleeve, and probably give a better seal at the edges with the sleeping bag. If the sleeve is a bit narrower, it might still work by inserting the mat before inflation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
garry gow said:
I'm toying with the idea of using 2 light compact synthetic bags inside one another +/- a liner for snow camping rather than spend big money on a new down bag. Something like a Palm pilot perhaps. Any opinions, suggestions or experiences out there?
Its a bit like the line out of crocodile dundee:

'You can live on it, but it tastes like ****'

You'll get by with the synthetic bag but you'll be lugging heaps of extra weight and probably won't have as good a nights sleep.

You can pick up some pretty decent down bags at sales and on the web for around $300. From memory the toy stores on kent street go on sale around easter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass