1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tail fix kit for skins

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by PK Sawd, Aug 16, 2018.

1. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Behold the patented Munged Bulldog Clip Mk 1. Over the decades my skis have gotten fatter and my old skins seem very skinny and rather too long but I can't bring myself to cut them or replace them. I was folding them over and sticking the excess to the top sheets at the rear but that didn't last long. Having them trail behind the ski actually didn't seem to cause too much bother until the glue became a little tired. I checked out my tube of glue in the garage but a decade of hiding in a dark box has resulted in a solid lump.

But necessity is the mother of invention and I want to ski Saturday so something had to be done right away. With the above I thread the skins through the bail and wrap it back underneath so it sticks to itself and the clip provides a decent tension to keep things in place. I'm hoping this will be just enough to stop things peeling off from the rear as they have been doing. I will report back on the performance of the prototype in due course.

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I cut the tail clips off my current skins just week.

PK Sawd likes this.
  3. PK Sawd

I'm guessing your skins are probably a touch stickier than mine!!! It looks pretty certain that I'll be up testing on the Rodway Range tomorrow. Can't think about work at a time like this........

skifree and Chaeron like this.
  4. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I actually don’t know about that, there is glue missing, rubbish in the glue. I don’t know why they still work.

But there is s pack of glue renew on the shelf ready to go,

5. PK Sawd

Send some my way! Actually, they worked pretty well, though not perfectly. After skiing a few descents and skinning back up the skins became wetter and the skis colder. I started to lose the left skin, funnily enough from the tip end rather than the tail. So I turned the skis upside down at the Rodway hut and left them in place for a 15 minute lunch break and they climbed back up onto Rodway Range no worries and did so again after the descent. But then I lost the left one again just before the end, also from the tip end. So I need to work a little to adjust the tension as the skins wet through the day but I have no doubt they made a significant improvement for buggerall cost. Also, I crayoned some wax on at one stage as I was getting huge snow build up on the bases (didn't need skins for a couple of climbs) and couldn't shear it off. The skis ran beautifully after than but it possibly made things a little harder for skin grip with thin, old glue. I AM going to reglue them!!!

almontyrat likes this.