Travel Life Taiwan and Korea (and a bit of Honkers)

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
We're going in for all of December.

Taipei for 6 nights
Seoul for 7 nights
Hong Kong for 3 nights

Taiwan and Korea - Have you been? What should I do?

I might go for a day ski out the back of Seoul one day

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Taipei
Combat zone

Haven't done much but a train trip down the east coast is recommended - check out the Toroko gorge. There's at least one hotel right up it. The mountains are pretty big and impressive. We rode scooters up from hualien. Can't really recommend that mode as it was effing HAIRY.

Reactions: grantn and Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Reactions: Doonks and piolet

tonks

Hard Yards
Sep 17, 2015
Not a great time to visit Seoul but plenty to do there. People usually check out one or two of the palaces. Gyeongbukgung and Deoksugung were my favourites. The tower at Namsan. Shopping at Myeongdong. A trip to the DMZ will blow your mind but takes a little bit to organise. Insadong. Going hiking is an experience. Bukhansan is quite scenic. One of my favourite things about Korea is the food, so make sure you get out and try some local food. Koreans like their booze. Try some soju and dongdongju.

Reactions: Pink

Pink

One of Us
Mar 25, 2014
Seoul:
The main tourist traps are good; the palaces, Insadong, Bukchon, view of the city from Namsan Tower. Walking the city wall is great. Seafood market. Bukhansan National Park/Samgaksan Doseonsa Temple. Koreans love eating out so there are restaurants and street food everywhere. The subway system is great. And they have espresso machines.

Reactions: Chaeron

grantn

Addicted
Aug 10, 2011
Taiwan - I loved regional Taiwan. We stayed with a local aboriginal family near Taroko Gorge. They would cook up local indigenous foods for dinner. They enjoyed teaching us things about their culture and their history - and their adult daughter would translate. For one day they dropped us up the top of Taroko Gorge and hired us mountain bikes, and we bicycled down Taroko gorge, which took a day. If you want they can take you to local hot springs up in the mountains.

I also loved the food in Taipei. Black Pepper Buns. Beef Noodle Soup!

Reactions: Chaeron and piolet

tonks

Hard Yards
Sep 17, 2015
Try the fruit beers in Taiwan. They're great. Well, some are. Others aren't.

ttn

Hard Yards
May 21, 2015
Just landed in HK. Staying Kowloon. Any tips for backstreet food action? No snakes.

Like Yumcha? I had lunch there and pretty tasty. It's actually on Austin Rd
The Victoria Towers Tower 1, 號 港 景 匯 商場 2 樓 202 號 舖, 188 Canton Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong

Not far from there is Temple Street Night Market ... plenty of choices too

Reactions: Chaeron

fosphenytoin

Hard Yards
Aug 5, 2018
Alexandria, Virginia
Like Yumcha? I had lunch there and pretty tasty. It's actually on Austin Rd
The Victoria Towers Tower 1, 號 港 景 匯 商場 2 樓 202 號 舖, 188 Canton Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong

Not far from there is Temple Street Night Market ... plenty of choices too

I think he meant street food, similar to food stalls at Taiwanese night market. Not too familiar w/ Kowloon side, For Hong Kong Island side, there are food street vendors "coming out" starting evening hours in Causeway Bay (near SoGo). Basically the later it gets, the more alive it gets.

I suggest you check out Open Rice website. It is popular among Hong Kongers to find eateries.
https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass