1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

takkyubin - size restrictions (skis)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by miro67, Sep 24, 2019.

1. miro67

miro67 Hard Yards

Hi, I am aiming to use takkyubin to transfer skis from Narita up to Hokkaido in January. Reading the takkyubin information indicates that there is a length restriction at 160cm (even on the takkyubin ski service). Given our skis are longer than this, is this going to be a problem? Any help appreciated.

(note we have a week in tokyo so no time issues getting the gear up north).

thanks

2. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My ski bag is 175 cm and never had a problem in the past.

Hyst likes this.
  3. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

You will be fine. They move ALOT of ski gear. Can't say I've ever had an issue with my gear and its easily >160 length.

4. schmitsch

schmitsch First Runs

The Narita counter shouldn't be a problem - I tried to drop my snowboard bag off at one of their convenience mart points and they were strict on the 160cm limit. I'm guessing its better at the 'main' counters?

5. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My experience is I've used the NRT counter and a hotel desk for 188cm skis without issue

Hyst likes this.
  6. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Never heard of that 160cm limit. That rule couldn't have been written by a skier. Who has skis that short?
    I've not had any issues on the few times that I have used the service from Narita with skis 180cm+.

Hyst likes this.
  7. miro67

miro67 Hard Yards

Thanks guys, helps with the planning.

8. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Here is the
    "Send parcels larger than standard TA-Q-BIN sizes (maximum linear dimension of 160cm and maximum weight of 25kg) and parcels containing items totalling more than 300,000 JPY."

9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe get something in writing from them beforehand. Handy if you get pulled up at a counter

10. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

11. Heinz

Can't see how the system would function at all if they actually enforced that 160cm limit. You could only send kids skis and a lot more people would be taking them on trains which just doesn't happen.

12. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

13. Heinz

I have only used the system a few times, not because I feel I needed to, rather on those occasions where I am staying a few days in the arrival city it was convenient to do so. Otherwise where I have continued travelling after landing ro just satyed a night it hasn't been an issue taking my skis on the airport train to the city especially for the Keisei line to Ueno, then just keeping them with me in the hotel. The only thing to avoid is having to take your gear on a local train (eg. Yamanote line) during peak hour.

For the @miro67 I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem, but you may want to ask. In the unlikely worst case that they don't take your skis and assuming you are flying to Hokkaido from Haneda I would arrange to catch the airport limousine bus rather than catching the local trains.

14. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Each Takkyubin company has many different services. The normal service(the cardboard box one) has to be "A + B + C = less than 160cm" and "less than 20 - 25kg". But all major Takkyubin companies (such as Black Cat, Japan Post, Sagawa and Seino) have ski pack and golf pack, etc. If you use ski / golf pack, A + B + C can be bigger than 160cm.
    [​IMG]

By the way, I know most people on this forum like Black Cat, but if you are Australian, you should use Seino because Seino's mascot is kangaroo;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. miro67

miro67 Hard Yards

Thanks again guys, dragging a board bag and a ski bag along with your luggage and a 6 year old child around Japan is not my idea of a relaxing way to travel . Getting the ski gear sent up north is a big positive.

Ramenman likes this.
  16. billykate

billykate Hard Yards

Another Q - how many days did it take to get from Narita to Hokkaido? Seeing if it’s worth it to haul it to Chitose or not