1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tales From The Lifts.

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by SMSkier, Dec 2, 2020.

1. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Nearly everyone has a story to tell or that they hear from someone on the lifting system. Holds true regardless of where your skiing in the world. Funny stories, sad things you hear, things you observe and on it goes. And, it can come from friends, strangers, resort staff and so forth. Sometimes it’s engaging and other times you can’t wait to get off the lift.

To get the ball rolling I watched this brief clip about chairlifts. Some good skiing, stacks and a bit of history. It’s not about the sponsors at all. Regardless, I enjoyed it.

Tell us your tales......

2. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Uploaded with my GF (now wife) onto a chair in telluride out of the mountain village (village 4 iirc). Ski school kids swarming and we had one plonked with us and 'told' to take him up.

Tried to make small talk, kid (8yo maybe?) just responds with "I hate skiing" "I don't wanna be here" ... just dumped in all day ski school for 2 weeks whilst his folks have a great time.

He then tries to slide off the chair, under the rail! :eek: FMD I aged a decade in an instant. We held onto him until the lifty stopped the chair at the dismount to grab him off as he was kind of tangled up.

Always wondered what happened to him.

3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Apparently some folks got left behind on the lift at a weekend-only ski resort:

crackson, coolair, Tweekin and 3 others like this.
  4. davidr

davidr Hard Yards

awsome video - such a great invention that has made the sport more enjoyable

Some great memories just chatting to people you only just met and looking around and enjoying the view whilst resting the legs.

Best memory was a day at hotham where it was snowing with the sun out.
    Worst was the day when someone from my ski lesson group accidentally took out another person when getting off the lift and wrecked the other person knee

POW_hungry, parkmonkey and SMSkier like this.
  5. Dippo

Dippo One of Us

One of my favourite tales was at Vail on Riva Bahn lift and my mate and I were chatting where we were going to ski when the guy that got on the chair with us said, which state you guys from, I can't pick your accents? I said NSW. He said is that south of here? I said yeah a long way south in Australia. He said. Never heard of it, why aren't you skiing there? It's in the southern Hemisphere, so it summer down there we say. Oh he says so where's that then. So we explained it to him and he still didn't get it. Then we asked what he was doing here. He said, It was a powder day so no school today, he then went on to explain he was an high school Geography teacher. True storyLOLLOL

qwill, seak, SAL and 23 others like this.
  6. Bindo

Bindo One of Us

So many lift stories, here's the first. Skiing at Jackson, going up in gondola. General chit chat going on re where to ski, where to eat in Jackson etc and then this woman asks me if me and hubby are heading into Jackson (from Teton Village) that night. Yes I say, so then she asks if we can be witnesses to their wedding, which will take place in the square. So same night, we stand in said square at around -4F, in front of the local sheriff (badge and all) and then sign the register at the Silver Dollar bar. And all we got for our good deed was an iced tea!!

7. Bindo

Bindo One of Us

Second Jackson story: going up on chair with 2 ski patrol guys. General chit chat, realise we're Aussies, tell us in the off season they're both mad sailors, always wanted to go in the Sydney/Hobart. Husband says "I've always wanted to ski Corbet's but it's not open" They both look at each other, and then say "Well we can fix that", so we follow them to the ski patrol hut, sign +1's life away, and then one of them takes him down to the top of Corbet's, while I follow the other one around underneath to get photos. They rappel him down over the usual jump (shit snow) and then he's off like a pig in mud.
    Meanwhile, the gondola goes past with everyone watching, and sure enough, they all arrive at the top and start asking if it's open. Ski patroller says yes, but only to people who've come thousands of miles and speak with a funny accent. Needless to say, a case of beer was delivered to the ski patrol hut later that week.

8. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Hilarious.

crackson and Jonathan_P like this.
  9. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

my post in a similar 2018 thread

Jackson Hole, Sublette quad, about a 10 min ride. My kids are on the chair in front.

4 people. I'm on the left, 40-something couple in the middle, guy on right in worn ski gear who looks like Jesus.

The couple were from middle America somewhere, very chatty and nice who tried to engage Jesus in some happy
    "So where have you been skiing today!" banter.

Jesus just stares back at them. Uncomfortable silence. Then he points down to a spot near one of the lift towers
    and says in a monotone "That's where I buried the bodies".

I laugh. No-one else does. Lift ends, the couple quickly ski off. I go over to Jesus as he's chuckling away to himself.

We'd both read the TGR thread about spicing up a lift ride - farting, weed, jokes etc.
    "That's where I buried the bodies" was a suggestion. He had always wanted to try it.

10. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I have had several Americans on lifts tell me that I speak good English for a foreigner.

Alleve, Dippo, whether and 1 other person like this.
  11. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So many lift stories, just don't know where to start :D

Probably was the weirdest thing about the Covid season we just had, not sharing lifts with people. There are so many people I know around the resort, staff, regular skiiers, holiday people who turn up every season etc. Many of these people I only ever speak to on lifts, I don't really know them that well that I would ski a morning with them. I sort of know who they are because we have shared lots of lifts, and have chatted. Around 5m every now again is enough to catch up, or maybe catch 2 or 3 lifts in a row;) Also I missed all the complete randoms, and the conversations that eventuate;)

12. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

High IQ these Americans.....

Dippo likes this.
  13. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I have 2:
    My greatest ski Story Lift story is my first time ever skiing believe it or not. My Brother, myself and Cousing were on a chairlift (I was 16, they were both 14), heading up Smiggs on what was okish conditions. This tiny skier, gets to the top of the drop off. Stops, Looks and then sends it. Straight down. No turns. Parallel flies down.
    Hits a Pothole that had oped. Skis sink in and she ejects over the handle bars and slides on her face about 5 m.

And then she does not Move. Not a muscle. This time we are yelling and screaming at the ski patrol like go get her go get her. She still isnt moving. We get to the top and the guys in front of us come up to us and go

"did we she just die". Like deadset serious.
    We Ski down to see, she is standing up and chatting. We walk over and ask if she is ok. Turns out she knew the hole was there, and had planned to do exactly that. Hit it, eject and fly. Parents a few chairs behind us back wanted to get it on video to try and go Viral.

Dead set true story

My second greatest story is My mate and I going up a Burke T bar. We decided we wanted to see if we could start going up the hill facing fowards and then flip so we were facing backwards.
    After many many tries and a few falls, we managed to do it, and is one of the funniest moments of our life looking at the people stopping to look at us. Dismounting was another story

Normo, Marty_McSly, Dippo and 5 others like this.
  14. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

As a grom learning to ski at Buffalo riding the wooden double chair the liftie at the top station with one of orange pole was spit balling snowballs at everyone riding up the lift with great accuracy.

Hiring clinic there’s a couple of chicks doing the clinic on the chair in front of us, one of which is pretty cute, i made a snowball from the snow on my skis and boots and somehow launch it a chairs distance steep up hill and hit the cute one in the back of the head, she turns around and my cousin doing the clinic with me is just pointing at me.

Early morning waiting with heaps of staff to head up on the lift to work and seeing fellow staff members doing the walk of shame getting cheers

climberman and SMSkier like this.
  15. benchives

benchives I forgot how to ski Ski Pass: Gold

Me and cin started chatting with a young Russian at brevant flegere and he said he was normsl

climberman likes this.
  16. skinavy

skinavy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Was in lift with a mate of mine when a couple of Russians piled in and started making comments about Australian skiers (we were wearing Australian Defence Force ski team softshell jackets). Dmytriy (my mate who was born in Kiev) responded in fluent Russian. Suffice to say the Russians were shocked. And then offered us vodka.

17. LMB

1st ever trip to the snow I caught a pair lift with my youngest. He was 8. He was laughing and telling stories about how stupid people have to be to get their tongue stuck to metal when it’s freezing.... which he followed up with ...

yep

..getting his tongue stuck to the metal of the lift pole.

Seafm, piolet, Marty_McSly and 6 others like this.
  18. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Annabuzzy and SMSkier like this.
  19. Hermannator

"Do not jump off chair" - y'know, the warning signs?

As hinted in the OP video, people do it. I've seen two scandi blokes jump off midway up a chair in Cervinia to get first crack at the pow. Probably a 5m drop. Only time I've ever seen it anywhere in the world.

POW_hungry and SMSkier like this.
  20. Hermon

Hermon One of Us

There's the infamous incident at Falls Creek in the late-1980s (Sun Valley I believe), where a woman needed to relieve herself behind some bushes but kept her skis on and ended up sliding backwards under the chairlift in the view of hundreds of punters - before she had time to make herself decent....

Jacko4650, Annabuzzy, piolet and 6 others like this.
  21. Hermannator

Reminds me of a yarn I heard about the unzipping of a GS suit to drop bombs between the slats on Wombat chair..
    No poo tubes for those Vic/Aus IV / IS kids

piolet and mr like this.
  22. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

When enjoying a lovely ride up the old double on MT P with my very good ski patrol mate, laughing and chatting away, I forgot to remove that little bit of safety chain it had and was left swinging in the breeze around the bullwheel.

Being a slow day in paradise the lifty and my Ski Patrol mate left me swinging there for a bit whilst they gave me a very comical lecture about how to ride a chairlift .....

mates

Back in the day the Guthega carpark double was a source of much mayhem when downloading. Face plants and yard sales for all. Warren Miller comedy sequence worthy

23. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

getting a tot of schnapps from an older lady (70+), from her in-stock-handle booze reservoir on the heavenly chair at hotham

Jacko4650, Ian, DidSurfNowSki and 5 others like this.
  24. mr

having reached forward to grab someones kid who was doing the under-bar kid-slide on an icy seat on take-off, to find the guy at the other end smashing the bar repeatedly into the back of my head saying 'why wont the bar go down?' while looking the other way

25. LMB

That’s what helmets are for isn’t it?
    That and Gondie queues ...

mr likes this.
  26. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hey! Fake news! My suit has never been unzipped on a chair

piolet, Snowy Joey, benchives and 3 others like this.
  27. mr

Not even for a bit of nooky?

Hermannator likes this.
  28. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

what happens on the lift stays on the lift

climberman and benchives like this.
  29. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

30. Tanuki

Tanuki Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

As someone who was was a liftie and a towie here and in NZ I saw enough load and unload accidents to fill a season of Funniest Home Videos (none caused by me). Scariest was a small kid who slid under the bar after loading at Coronet Peak, we couldn't slam on the brakes as he could've been thrown off. We had to slow it down then reverse down till I could stabilise and grip him so the parent could let go. Edit, the reverse was slow due to having to unload people so they didn't go round the bull wheel.

#30 Tanuki, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    SMSkier and Snowy Joey like this.
  31. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

We would jump off Gunbarrel quad at Thredbo to save time in the Derby every spring.

Also possible to skag first tracks on a pow day on some chairs by chucking a super fast u-ey to exit from the unload platform rather than going down the ramp and around. You only do it once and you change jacket after that once.

32. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You don’t need to jump anymore :out:

scottski, Alleve, LMB and 5 others like this.
  33. chicski

My daughter slid off the interceptor load. Lifty provided a soft landing surface.

must remind her of it LOL

34. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

The convenience of detachable chairlifts.

rocketboy, SMSkier, Alleve and 3 others like this.
  35. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

Not the Morrissey lift at Sun Peaks I hope?

36. skinavy

skinavy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Had a lifty rake the off ramp on Interceptor with her back to the oncoming chairs. Ended up in my lap for a trip around the bullwheel with a few choice words from me.

37. LMB

Rusutsu with the kids, the next older one from the stuck tongue kid loaded a fixed pair with me and got his board caught under the chair. Rolled under the chair like the tracks on a tank. Once I saw what was happening I just called out “lay flat, head down, don’t move until I tell you to!” Lifty was mightily worried until he saw the kid was laughing, so he started laughing also and put him on the next chair. Not ALL his fault, lot of snow made the gap between chair and snow awfully small.

SMSkier likes this.
  38. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Got heaps of stories, one of the best were the beginners on the chair in front of me jumping off the chair because they looked up the mountain and saw how steep it was. Dropped approx 4 metres to hard snow.

Stories aside I love trying to start conversation with people on lifts, I do the same with taxi drivers and you get to hear some amazing life stories. It has also worked out quite well on days when you meet a cool local who wants to show you their mountain. Had some great runs in places you would never have known existed as a blow in and made some great friends that way.

Jacko4650, Ian, cold wombat and 3 others like this.
  39. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

1992 had a jumper one chair in front at Ramshead Chair, right at the crest of Cannon Ball. He couldn't wait any longer after the chair stopped for a few minutes. :rolleyes:

Alleve and SMSkier like this.
  40. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Plenty of these out there .....if your a Whistler / Blackcomb visitor......I’ve been on that chair. Held breath a few times.

41. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Steve, you are breaking my heart. Normally would be heading over there some time soon:(

DidSurfNowSki, Jonathan_P and SMSkier like this.
  42. chicski

My first ride on that lift, my ski buddy told me to close my eyes and open just before the unload :eek:LOL

SMSkier likes this.
  43. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I was sat in the middle of a triple chair in Hakuba, chatting with the two lades either side of me. We all introduced ourselves and I stated I was from Perth, and the first said she worked for the federal police in Sydney, and the second one chips in and said she worked for the federal police in Melbourne LOL

44. soda

soda One of Us

First chair at Big White after landing a job, shared with a local mother and daughter. Young girl breaks out 'Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree' in strong BC accent. I had not said a word. Did tear up.

45. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Weirdest conversation Ive had was with a vascular surgeon, after a story about another passengers son getting caught with an ecigarette at school progressed to whether it would be possible to get a high using nicotine patches applied to a penis, in a certain state. And how many one would need to be able to fit. Unexpected.

46. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I thought that was urban legend until teckel said it was herself!!!

47. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

A few years ago at Sun Peaks I was riding the Burfield Chair (not the fastest chair in history, which some might see as a massive under-statement). During the 26 or so minutes on it I chatted to an older local man. He was talking about how many of the runs over at the Morrissey side had been named by a popular ballot process. His name was drawn out of a hat to christen one of the runs. When asked what he wanted to call this particular trail, he was momentarily flummoxed and replied, “I Dunno”. The name stuck.

48. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Dude - no viral videos in my day.

49. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

(I was wearing a unique flouro green kacket at the time) I was coming down Squatters Run at Thredbo and I had a huge wipeout , cartwheeling into a snowfence, and ending up hanging upside down with my board and legs caught in the fence and my head resting on Walkabout.

I untangled myself and slid down to the bottom to get back on the chair for another ride.

A boy of about 10 years old was sitting next to me and he laughed out loud and congratulated me on my huge crash.

(later that morning I went into Merritts Mountain House for lunch and a lady and her son sat next tome, and she complimented me on my flouro green jacket and stated she'd seen someone with the same jacket have a huge crash earlier on LOL)

#49 gareth_oau, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Marty_McSly and Jonathan_P like this.
  50. teckel

teckel Not a Loser Ski Pass: Gold

You bastard! How did you dredge that up? ROFL