1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tassie tent platforms

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by PK Sawd, May 25, 2010.

1. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hi all. I'm heading into the Walls of Jerusalem at the end of June and have a question about tent platforms. They apparently have them at Wild Dog Creek, just outside Herod's Gate. I have never used them before and wanted to ask about how one fixes a tent to them and what I ought to take for the purpose. Do they have adjustable hooks to put tent loops over or do you just lash it down yourself with rope/string/cord?

I will fondly remember nights over in the Jaffa vale, camped among the Pencil Pines but I can see the merit in the new camping arrangements.

Thanks in advance of any useful replies.

2. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

The platforms are a bit like the slatted decks many people have outside their back door. They usually have rings and cords attached to them, but if they don't, it's easy to tie tent guy ropes to them. They are very easy to use with a dome tent, but if you plan to use a tunnel tent it should be fine, but you will need to position it carefully.

One thing you will notice is that, even with a good sleeping mat, they are harder than sleeping on the dirt.

Here is a picture of the platform at the former High Moor track maintenance Hut in the Western Arthurs.

[​IMG]

(Yes that is my crappy Kathmandu tent and yes, I know I shouldn't have taken cheapo stuff like that to western Tassie. It leaked badly and has been demoted to summer camping only. I replaced it with an utterly bomb-proof MacPac Plateau dome-tunnel hybrid.)

#2 Bogong, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. PK Sawd

Thanks! I've been in a similar tent in crap weather up at Club Lake and thought it did a pretty good job, although there it was more likely to be snowing than raining. That may also be the case in late June in WoJ. My other choice is a Sierra Designs tent I bought in 1992 with a fly that feels more like a supermarket plastic bag than the supple, smooth nylon it once was. I reckon it will just explode into a million flakes of dry material in a puff of wind one day so the Kathmandu one will probably have to do! Although I just thought of someone who has an old Macpac Oly, possibly more ancient than my tent but undoubtedly suffering far less exposure to UV. I might investigate that!

I have used only a light 3/4 thermarest for everything from sleeping on rock to snow and guess it will continue to do the job. I could steal the missus' fancy thick one but I'd have less space for the whiskey then...... Cheers.

4. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Exped downmat 7......luxury and room for the whisky [​IMG]

#4 GS, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, or Exped Synmat. Should be renamed sinmat ;-} Not much less R rating than Downmat and somewhat more user-friendly.

Only drawback is there's no padding when you sit on the things when they're stretched out, as the air goes elsewhere.

Still, I'm wedded to mine, after decades on the basic Thermarest.

6. PK Sawd

I've been using it for over 20 years and I am rather fond of it. I have to admit I know nothing of the products you are referring to. It is so long since I felt a need to look at these things I just haven't been paying attention!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Whatever works for you.

I've been getting creaky in the bones. First step was full length Thermarest which was a real help. 2nd step was the Exped. More conformability and better insulation (apart from sitting up at night). Much better nights' sleep. Also more compact and lighter.

http://www.wildernessshop.com.au/html/sleeping_mats.html#expedsynmat

#7 Ziggy, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  8. PK Sawd

Thanks. I just had a look at the Exped website. If I had some spare dosh lying about (ha ha!) I'd be tempted. It looks good. What do you think the longevity in the field will be on one of those units?

9. legend

legend One of Us

Several winters ago we based ourselves at Wild Dog Creek. Tunnel tents were easy to put up. We used the commercial group site and put up a couple of large flies to cover part of the cooking platform. These kept the temps to just below freezing whilst 'outside' temps ranged between -9º and -4º (day and night). The ice was spectacular. Boot chains were essential to walk across the ice (flowing water had frozen in large sheets across the tracks). We were the only ones in there, we met several parties who got as far as the Lake Adelaide Tk Jnctn but had to turn back due to the extreme ice. Unfortunately there wasn't a snow flake to be seen.

10. Graeme

Graeme First Runs Endless Winter

The experience of myself and my friends is variable. They do seem prone to slow leaks - I have needed to give mine a bit of extra pumping each succesive night out for a while - but another person might have one used for years without a problem - and some might be worse. These tiny leaks are very difficult to find. Probably less durable than a Thermarest I think - but I am not going back.

#10 Graeme, May 25, 2010
  11. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

I have had downmats for 3 years now. One of them used to leak slowly, and would need a top-up daily on multi-night trips. I could not find a hole, and had it sent back to exped for repair. Aparrently there was a problem with the fabric on the top and that entire surface was slightly air-permeable. Exped replaced it witha new one, and its been great.

I have sat on mine on grass, gravel, and twigs etc with no puncture problems. I suspect toughness will prove to be about the same as a therm-a-rest.

12. Pete Ay

Pete Ay Hard Yards

[​IMG]

Can be a little tricky to tension out a tunnel tent. Freestanding is the go on platforms IMO

#12 Pete Ay, May 26, 2010
  13. PK Sawd

Thanks guys. Yes I wondered about tensioning. Just to clarify, are there any attachment points or hooks on those platforms or are you just supposed to loop some cord around the slats?

I spent a couple of June nights up in Trappers Hut when I was a teenager (an embarrassingly long time ago!) and just roamed along the Lake Adelaide track with my camera. It wasn't so icy that trip but Lake Loane was frozen over and it was very pretty. My sleeping bag at that time was completely inadequate and I had a couple of horrible nights but it was very beautiful.

I might throw the missus' crampons in the pack if I can adjust them to my boot length ( I think they will ). It's funny how different the planning is for this when I have been ski touring for years. But then of course I only tend to go where and when the conditions are conducive for skiing. I'd love to ski up in the Walls in a good season but my partner on this trip is a fish out of water on skis. I'll swap my skis for a tripod this trip!

14. robl

robl Hard Yards

I recall nails between the gaps in the slats and sometimes wire. You can sometimes use rocks and the vege growing next to the platforms. It is a bit hard to loop cord around the slats. I have always done well enough with ordinary tent gear.

A pic- Relaxing at lake Cygnus
    [​IMG]

#14 robl, May 26, 2010
  15. GS

On the Overland tk the newer platforms had adjustable wire cables, other platfroms just had various anchor points for your cord. I imagine WOJ would be similar. I'd be taking cord of various lengths.

Sounds like a good trip, not likely to have any crowds [​IMG]

#15 GS, May 26, 2010
  16. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Pine Valley Helipad.
    [​IMG]

Have been an avid user & fan of tent platforms around the highlands & involved in planning & construction of some as well, in wet weather we all know they are welcome to rise oneself up out of the mud & leaches & of course benefits for protection of fragile alpine veg.

Attachment points vary as mentioned, but with some ingenuity & directional tensioning, you can put up a tunnel as well as anywhere. If your a climber, they can be quite fun, pretending your high on small ledge & good practice for the real thing. Some extra cord (always in for running repairs, pack hauling etc) & a solid groundsheet are items I'd expect are already being carried. From PWS perspective, it's preferred people don't burn platforms with stoves & try to avoid dropping rubbish between slats.

The platforms at Wild Dog Creek are excellent, catering to some extent for larger commercial groups, tucked into the heath with a good 'warm' aspect, they are easy to set up a shelter tarp as mentioned also, no problems setting up a tunnel here if your so equipped with one.

When platforms are actually built, lots of thought & creativity goes into the construction, it is quite hard to cater for every type of tent & pitching method but generally the thought is that persons bushwalking in the Tas hills will have some degree of practical aptitude, except on the OT!!

The above platform is not recommended, being the Pine Valley helipad, but was aware no choppers were to be coming in on these days.

#16 Rabid K9, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  17. Bogong

Pete is that the Goon Moor forest campsite in the Eastern Arthurs?

... or are you saving the picture for the <span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>"Where is it"</span> thread?

18. PK Sawd

I saw that helipad last December. I had not been in to Pine Valley since maybe 1991/2 and there were a substantial number of changes!!!

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Forest products!!What type of timber is this.Native hardwood or treated pine??I might try this technique in Pretty Valley:on the picnic table!!But snow season got to dig it up.What could be more exciting than sleeping on picnic table.!!! Use to sleeping on Bogong Villages Picnic tables with tarp over me.We could start a new concept of sleeping on picnic tables. [​IMG]

#19 Ubiquitous Steve, May 26, 2010
  20. Bogong

I once slept in a 3 sided bus stop shelter where the Lyell Highway crosses the upper Franklin River.

#20 Bogong, May 26, 2010
  21. Craig D.

Craig D. Hard Yards

I've slept on my fair share of picnic tables over the years, anything with a roof over it is fair game IMO. Most recent time was in the picnic shelter at Geehi, where I was rudely awoken by a noisy truck passing through at about 2am.

Sleeping in a bus shelter is seems perilously close to crossing the fine line between being a tightarse bushwalker and becoming a derelict [​IMG]

#21 Craig D., May 26, 2010
  22. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

I once slept in the toilets in the RTA building at Kiandra in a blizzard---so what does that make me [​IMG]

#22 Untele-whippet, May 26, 2010
  23. seak

seak One of Us

I once cycled the length of the country (Cape York to Wilson's Prom) - without a tent. Compelled to sleep (due to torrential rain) on 5 nights in toilets en-route, including at least 2 of those tiny weather-beaten timber things outside lonely churches. I was at, or near both, Craig...

Prior to paddling western Bass Strait earlier this year, I hadn't met all the guys, so was asked to go on a 45km run through the upper Blueys. The leader of the paddle got himself up to Wentworth Falls the night before, and slept in a three sided bus-shelter. Derelict? He has a PhD in Engineering, and an office in a North Sydney high-rise.

24. spec

spec Hard Yards

A guy I came across in Tassie last winter used tile wedges to help setup his tent on the platforms. They weigh next to nothing and apparently work wonders!
    http://www.barwalt.com/catalog/numbered/10380.jpg

#24 spec, May 26, 2010
    zac150 likes this.
  25. legend

legend One of Us

[​IMG]
    the platforms at Wild Dog Ck
    [​IMG]
    Using tent flies to keep the heavy frost off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Why boot chains are essential

#25 legend, May 26, 2010
  26. PK Sawd

You could just about use your ice skates on that!!! I could always swap a snow blade onto my inline boots. I believe they do skate-touring on the lakes in Norway. It might not be too feasible in WoJ though... Great pics thanks.

And speaking of practical aptitude, the last time I camped near the Walls, in Solomons Jewels, a bloke came up to me and the missus and asked if he could look at our map so he could work out where Cradle Mountain was as he was heading there. Now he could have had an excellent time doing so but you'd think a map would be kind of handy..... To this day I still haven't quite figured out where he started his walk from and where he was next intending to go.

Bloody long, fat skis that person has in the lower pic. Respect!

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  27. Pete Ay

Pete Ay Hard Yards

Correct. I'm not quick enough to get in for the "where is" game, but interestingly for me, that thread started with a photo taken on my camera

#27 Pete Ay, May 27, 2010
  28. garnergetcha

garnergetcha First Runs

I struggled to understand how the tent platforms actually worked. So I'm posting these photos.

There are two types.

Tent platforms type A - retractable chains. Don’t forget extra cord !

Tent platform - type B - wire rope (much less common/ old type)

More available on this Facebook site: https://m.facebook.com/groups/648583285321130?id=648583285321130&ref=content_filter&_rdr

Attached Files:

POW_hungry, PK Sawd, neilmny and 2 others like this.
  29. legend

legend One of Us

You can also use pegs, sticks etc by placing/wedging them in the gaps between boards to get a more secure tethering when gales are blowing. As said above - bring extra cord.

30. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

12 gauge screws & cordless drill.

Majikthise likes this.
  31. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Holy thread mining - bongon was here

piolet likes this.
  32. Rabid K9

Lengths of extra cord should be standard fare in top of pack anyway.

33. Ubiquitous Steve

I wonder if Team Bears could do a massive Picnic Table...."Banquet Table"... like the size if four picnic tables in area.....then we could use it for a platform or a giant picnic table ....we will consider the feasibility of this .....:thumbs:

34. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Probably politically incorrect but we carried a few screw in hooks on the overland track and used them when the cables wouldn’t work.

Great for when you really need to pack tents in on a platform.

The guy in the little orange tent had a couple of awkward tie points and had had a few horrid night sleeps. I gave him a cup hook and I thought he was going to cry with happiness!

Bogong likes this.
  35. Rabid K9

The nocturnal orchestra of snoring there would almost vibrate the platform of it footings?

GS and zac150 like this.
  36. zac150

Yeah if I’d had my time again.....

We hiked the last free week in September as it school holidays and one of the group was a teacher. In hindsight I’d happily pay the $200 and avoid the masses and by masses I mean I stopped counting at 120 on the last night at Bill Jones hut, people slept everywhere including the breezeway, and under tables.

37. Ubiquitous Steve

Could be a good picnic table market to corner.....maybe Team Bears needs an off shore division....a Tasmanian Subsiduary ......LOL

With special design features incorporated to deter leeches from mounting any attack!

38. GS

My first wander along the OT was the last week of fees being charged; hardly anyone about. Rangers all said that would change the following week as backpackers rushed to walk it before winter and with no fees.

I took screw in hooks but never used them as the huts had plenty of spare beds

39. zac150

Yep $200 seems cheap not to share the wilderness experience with hundreds of others.

40. Rabid K9

Sounds like a circus.

Have had the OL huts to ourselves in past. But have had plenty of rampant snorers as well.

Like to stand up on adjoining hills & peer down of the track from afar now.... don't like sharing my leeches with that many people.

skifree, Ubiquitous Steve and zac150 like this.
  41. Ubiquitous Steve

Well the circus is comming to the High Plains via the FHAC.....I am sure there will be much merriment in comming months to rival our Sthn neighbour!!