1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Tatnall's 'Huts of the Bogong National Park' (1988)

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Total Whiteout, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

Does anyone have a copy of this book or know where I could access it?

Searches on the SLV and NLA databases aren't turning up anything.

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Got an ISBN?

3. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

Nope.

Only seen it referenced in the Butler Survey and also on the KHA website.

4. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

There's a thing called 'legal deposit' whereby a copy of any book published in Australia has to be donated to the relevant state library and the NLA. Even if a book or map has been lost, it should still appear in their catalogues. Of course a few self-published booklets escaped, but otherwise legal deposit was a fairly comprehensive dragnet that got almost everything published before the internet came along.

I was also aware that this title may exist, as many years ago I looked for it without success. I think I concluded that it was probably an exhibition catalogue or possibly an unpublished manuscript. But Tatnall has always been a photographer and not really a writer, so it could have even been something unconventional like a boxed set of photos.

Addendum. Books on BHP area huts also written by Hueneke (with a little help from a younger me), Magnussen and an arty B&W photographic book by David Oldfield, but I assume you know about them.

Extra addendum. It might be useful to phone the SLV and ask to speak to a reference librarian. Explain that you're a serious adult researcher (not a student) and why you need the title. They will probably use their expertise to ferret around for something with a similar author, title, etc. If they do find something like an exhibition catalogue or manuscript held elsewhere in Melbourne, I'll copy it and send it up to you.

Chaeron and Total Whiteout like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold