1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

TC Yasi, Queensland Cyclone Feb 02 onwards

Discussion in 'The Tropics & Cyclones' started by smitty484, Jan 26, 2011.

1. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Actually, no. The southern eyewall was about 55km from the Lucinda AWS.
    http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/history/yasi-radar.shtml

Dunk Island which was essentially smack bang in the middle of the eye is 65km from Lucinda point as the crow flies (according to Google) and the eye was about 20-30km wide.

#451 trappers, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  2. Spiceman

Spiceman Part of the Furniture

Ok, I wasn't thinking from Dunk I was thinking from Tully... From Dunk I make it out to be around 68km as far as the crow flies, so I don't have an issue with your calculation, the only thing I will say is that during the cylone Dunk was just inside the southern eyewall and Bingle Bay was almost in the middle... So I reckon 65kms is a fair cop.. I will say thanks for correcting me though, it's a fair point. My main issue is the lack of knowledge of some about how the winds work in a cyclone. I believe firmly that the strongest gusts would have been between Cardwell and Silkwood... As I said on the night, I just wish we had an AWS somewhere to measure the winds... because the strongest winds according to the BOM were within 15 nautical miles of the centre, so within about 28kms of the centre of the eye which would have been slightly less than half way to Lucinda Point but very close to Cardwell which is around 35kms as far as the crow flies and I think that was reflected in the damage between silkwood and Cardwell which seemed to be in that kind of zone to get the strongest winds...

Outside of that area were the 64knot winds or 118kph, I think that is reflected well in the winds at both Lucinda and even Townsville which had gusts over 130kph... I think this is lost on some people, that the strongest winds are within that 30kms radius of the centre, and unfortunately we don't have measurements recorded in that area....

3. PolePlant

PolePlant Guest

FIXED
    New version posted

#453 PolePlant, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  4. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

Im still not sure what most of you mean, lots of dissing of a guy who apparently heads (and has for years) a cyclone building code, lots of speculation and "science" without numbers.

What do you think the max winds were-who cares but just curious. The sand blasting the paint from the bar at Dunk was certainly impressive.

5. Rush

Rush Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

For those weather nerds who are interested in tropical cyclone prediction over the decades, try and dig this up:

Chan, J. C. L. and J. D. Kepert, (Eds.), 2010: Global Perspectives on Tropical Cyclones – From Science to Mitigation. World Scientific Publishing, 444 pp.

6. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Any photos from Willis Island? Anything left?

7. Ben Zeenees

Ben Zeenees One of Us

8. Spiceman

Spiceman Part of the Furniture

This one is interesting:

From: http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/true-force-of-yasi-may-never-be-known.htm

#458 Spiceman, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  9. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Well i finally got an email from my youngest bro ...

#459 dawooduck, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  10. Retired Weather Man

Retired Weather Man Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

As a former resident ( 25 years ) in Townsville I went through Cyclone Yasi. Here are a few photos...the first is my yard with ex shed and ex Poinciana tree, and 4 fences flattened at their join.

The next 2 photos are my street in both directions.

Our house briefly lifted from the stumps on the southern side and dropped again straight away. 3 stumps were replaced.

Attached Files:

StormyLee, Orebound, whether and 3 others like this.
  11. Retired Weather Man

Retired Weather Man Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

And even 2 months after Yasi, the 2011 wet was not finished with us yet. Here is a photo from the Townsville Bulletin of the intersection of Bayswater Rd and Reardon St.

Homer, whether, Chaeron and 1 other person like this.
  12. WzTrav

WzTrav Early Days

Top gust of 159kmhr at the Townsville Airport from Yasi.

13. Raindammit

Raindammit Early Days

Some photos of my property at Bilyana, 6 days after Yasi. Bilyana went through the Southern eye wall, with the eye itself just a couple of km to the North.

14. Trail Blazer

Trail Blazer Part of the Furniture

The damage to those palms would be agonising (clearly plenty of planning) but the most shocking view is the background, was green then brown. How long did the recovery take?

Raindammit and Claude Cat like this.
  15. Raindammit

Raindammit Early Days

Well, about 6 months after the cyclone there were HUGE fires that raged through the mountains for weeks on end, so any rainforest that was left was almost certainly destroyed.

However, by the next wet season some greenery returned and by about 2016 the mountains were fully green again, if a little threadbare. Today, you wouldn't even know that Yasi had happened - at least from a distance.

The immediate rainforest behind our property is still recovering, there is still no real canopy yet and I suspect it will be at least another 5 or so years before everything gets back to pre-Yasi levels. The royal palms I've since found out are VERY resilient to cyclones - we only lost a couple. Here's a couple of very recent photos:

Claude Cat and StormyLee like this.