1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Tele skis: what to buy

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RapidRob, Aug 22, 2018.

1. RapidRob

RapidRob Hard Yards

I got keen on backcountry skiing last year and rocked a fairly ghetto setup (old Atomic twintips with Cobra 75mm bindings and near-dead skins) which I'm looking at replacing. Though late in the season, I'm eyeing off a set of tele skis for sale on Facebook and tossing up whether to pull the trigger on them or splurge on a new setup. I'm aware of the dwindling popularity and availability of 75mm but have no intention of moving to NTN at the moment. The availability of 75mm bindings is limited and at the moment, locally, the Cobra is the best I can get so I'd just reuse the current ones if I went new skis. The prospect of stiffer bindings with a release (a la the 7TM described below) is very appealing...
    The choices:
    Old - Rossignol Powderbirds with 7TM bindings, ski crampons, G3 skins for $700 posted
    122-80-108 tip to tail, 3.1kg w/o bindings
    vs.
    New - Fischer Wayback 88 (2.5kg w/o bindings) with current Cobra bindings and new skins ~$900

Folks, what are you thoughts?

2. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Are you insane? New.

zac150 likes this.
  3. crackson

Oh. Bindings. Umm. Still new.

4. RapidRob

RapidRob Hard Yards

Of course I am; I seek pleasure in hauling heavy boots, planks and puffy clothing up a hill for hours to rejoice in mere minutes of sliding on frozen water. What's your reasoning? Are the newer skis going to be radically better *to my novice eyes/legs* than the decent setup of 9 years ago? They're in good nick from what I can see; but I'm well aware I don't know what I don't know.

zac150, crackson and skifree like this.
  5. crackson

Ten years is eons in the ski world.

The used kit is a touch over priced for age.

New means warranty, support and future discounts if sourced locally.

You can afford it. You deserve it.

/assumptions

RapidRob likes this.
  6. skifree

skifree Sake? Thats like water but better, yes? Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

75mm bindings are steadily flowing into the 2nd hand market & will continue to do so. So don’t panic about choices.

With reference to the choices above I’d go the Rossi ski with the Cobras.

A lot of people love the 7TM, me not much.

Pretty much every tele skier will give different advice, it’s a requirement of the secret brother&sisterhood of telemark skier to keep it as mystical as possible.

Thinking more about it as i have pecked away here on this red oculus keyboard a phone gives I suggest you go the cheapest option now then when you have some turns, lessons & experience under your hat lash out & buy new.

RapidRob and piolet like this.
  7. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Powderbirds overpriced. Light weight is important for touring.

skifree likes this.
  8. RapidRob

RapidRob Hard Yards

Excellent, thanks all - glad I asked. I'll hold off on the old ones and look more seriously into the new ones tomorrow. Hope to see you out there, cheers for the newbie advice.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Wait a bit for the end of season sales.

crackson likes this.
  10. skifree

skifree Sake? Thats like water but better, yes? Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What? And miss out on the awesome snow out there right now?

RapidRob and Ziggy like this.
  11. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

unfortunately for local suppliers, skis are much cheaper from OS even including postage and GST eg level9 Freeze Pro etc .
    Also after years of carting around release bindings I have decided they arent really useful.
    75 mm here to stay for a long time yet.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You don't need release until you do.
    I lost an ACL and ended a NZ ski trip because 7TMs don't release forward.
    The only effective unit on the market is the Telebry Safeout ski mount and plate for common 75mm bindings. It works very well. There'd be guys here on the forum with ankles intact if the NTN release worked properly.

13. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Plenty of 75mm bindings will come on the market for a reason, everyone is upgrading to NTN.

Personally I would hold off buying new, get something second hand and work out what you like in terms of width under foot etc. I’d also try ntn and see if you like the hype, personally I won’t go back.