Teleboots & Crampons

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT.

otw

First Runs
Apr 18, 2000
All Round
Yep,

BD Sabertooth fit T2s no worries!

They have adjustment on the front bail so you don't loose any or little of your frontpoints.

Kieran

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Looking over your shoulder
climberman said:
AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT, AT.
TRALALALALALALALALLALALALALALALALALALALA

I CAN"T HEAR YOU! I'M NOT LISTENING!!!

TRALALAALAALAALALALALALALA

Last edited by a moderator:

telemark fred

One of Us
May 20, 2002
Newcastle East
What's AT?
wink.gif

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
is an anagram of some french word that means cannot telemark.
laugh.gif

love your work jules.

podski

One of Us
Apr 18, 2002
Melbourne
Put it this way, enter AT into google and after 25 pages not a single mention of skiing. Put telemark in and there it is on the first hit.
wink.gif

Romfrantic

Hard Yards
Jun 15, 2003
expat living in Switzerland
Kieran said:
Anyone ever fitted crampons to T2s or Excursions?

Just for wandering around on snow and ice, not for frontpointing. Any thoughts?

K
I have fitted clip-on Grivel G12 crampons on T2s OK. Strap-on crampons really sucked.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
podski said:
Put it this way, enter AT into google and after 25 pages not a single mention of skiing. Put telemark in and there it is on the first hit.
wink.gif
Pick the telemarker. Always looking for external validation.

Kieran

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Looking over your shoulder
I always reckoned randonee was the Dark Side - that's pretty good proof.

LUKE: Is the dark side stronger?

YODA: No...no...no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

LUKE: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

YODA: You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A TeleJedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
Says it all really.

seak

One of Us
Apr 8, 2003
Blue Mts
BD Sabertooth crampons or clip-on Grivel G12 crampons have long enough points to extend healthily beyond the tongue of XC boots for front pointing? Last year I had a loan of 30 year old crampons with leather attachment straps. They fitted brilliantly to my T3's and worked quite well for introductory top-rope front-pointing at Blue Lake.

seak

One of Us
Apr 8, 2003
Blue Mts
With thanks in hindsight to OTW - "BD Sabertooth fit T2s no worries! They have adjustment on the front bail so you don't loose any or little of your frontpoints."

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Crampons work just fine in teleboots. Choose a 4 buckle model.

You can use AT boots but I do not know why you would.

The Bush Patrol

Addicted
Feb 3, 2004
Newcastle
Any crampon with the deletion of the front speed bail will fit a tele boot.I have taken the speed bail off my simmond 12pts & gone stapon to fit my sorrells & yep I do cop heaps for takin sorells out on long trips as camp booties but apart from the struggle up the main range with 80kgs who is the king at the end of the day with warm toes & lots of beer!!!!

James B

One of Us
Dec 18, 2000
Christchurch, NZ, God's Own
"Telemark binding designs were first sketched centuries ago on cave walls by Neanderthals. In a tribute to tradition, little has changed since then in both the design and the designers.
AT bindings came afterwards, and like the invention of the wheel, something that is so perfectly conceived from the beginning that it can only be refined, not reinvented.
The primary advantage of AT is that it's all about skiing, touring, safety, efficiency and fun. Nothing very complicated or involved, just the basics. Telemarking is more of a religious cult or a reality TV series about dysfunctional rock star families, most of which doesn't makes sense to the casual viewer. Why would you want less control, more weight and unreliability? Because in the thighs of the beholder, telemarking has its own special beauty, like running a 100m sprint in high heel pumps."

This sums it up

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Plenty of myths perpetuated there James.

Compared to the equipmet dug out of Skandinavian bogs most telemark equipment is just as advanced as the AT equipment parked next to it in all considerations of materials, design, functionality. When I sit in the Falls Creek hotel and look at the binding museum above the bar I see very similiar alterations from the common ancester of telemark and AT equipment in materils and design. Many of the improvements in telemark may have come in a rush over the last 10 years but from past to now it is a very parrallell world of materials and design.

Most telemark bindings are very slightly lighter than AT. Only signifigant deviant is the Dynafit system. And yes I have weighed them out of the box in the shop to confirm weights.

There is no evidence that telemark bindings are less reliable than AT. I have problably seen more broken AT bindings coming into the shop for parts / repair as a percentage of what is in use than telemark.

There is no evidence that AT is safer than telemark. In fact there is evidence of the opposite. There is evidence that despite release on Apline equipment the % of knee and similiar injuries is actually higher than telemark. The details need to be looked at carefully but the broad thrust of the research results is release failure and skiing beyond ability for the DIN setting are the main culprit.

I have not noticed any less control over my skiing (except for the ability thing) and other telemarkers compared to Apline skiers. Infact with more modern equipment the telemarkers have more options for skiing style and so effect a wider range of controls in a wider range of condiotns. Why be limited by the fixed heel? Witness the increasing number of ski patrol moving to telemark equipment.

When an AT skier can keep up with us on telemark equipment (and actually walk abut the camp site after a day in Alpine boots) I'll take the efficiency claim seriously. In the mean time see you in camp when you get in.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
You MAY be right skifree, but you miss the point. The point is that it is SUCH FUN to tease tele-zealots! They're like a cult and if you suggest that there may possibly be other paths to God (or ways to turn a ski), they go all red-faced and splutter something about heresy.

telemark fred

One of Us
May 20, 2002
Newcastle East
AT has merit.

I started skiing on XC gear first befoer I could afford a lift ticket, so progression onto modern telemark gear from there was the obvious path for me.

If I were going to do the sort of backcountry stuff I do nowadays and instead had a strong set of alpine sking skills already, then I would probably go AT.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Yep that is fine Bogong and James, but it seems that perpetuating myths and un-truths is not bait but just bulllshutting.

telefreds last para is about the only sensible reason to AT, ie ATers are too lazy too learn a new skill.
wink.gif

surveyorcam

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2004
Melbourne
Who really cares pretty much sums it up.

If you are getting to the places you want to get to and having fun then who really gives a sh1t what you are skiing on?

I telemark because I love it. In deep powder teles are awesome fun.

I did an SMC last winter on the Tasman glacier NZ. Conditions were crusty and horrible and in the steep glaciated stuff Teles were a pain in the **** and AT's would have been safer and faster. (Could be because I can't jump tele... but there you go)

James B

One of Us
Dec 18, 2000
Christchurch, NZ, God's Own
surveyorcam said:
Who really cares pretty much sums it up.

If you are getting to the places you want to get to and having fun then who really gives a sh1t what you are skiing on?
Exactly, guys. Just do what suits you, where you want to go. No pressure to take up any particular style of turn.

Personally, I go into alpine terrain, which is why I alpine ski tour.

It gets me up the hill and down again very efficiently.

(Of course, I miss out on having a cult to worship, but I reckon that's secondary to just getting out there and skiing.)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Can't see myself on AT gear at most of Vic's mtns James. Therefore I'd need yet another set of gear! :rolleyes:

Viv'e la difference!

(Of course if I attempt the trips in that Broadbent-chappies guide to NZ then AT gear might be worth trying.
smile.gif

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
macs are way to cumbersome for use as boat anchors, ex AT bindings are way heavy enough, the prefect shape and there are always plenty to replace those lost caught on the bottom.

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
Does anyone have any info on the possible stresses placed on a plate-style crampon when using a boot with a flexing sole? I've read comments warning about it but not found much data.

I don't know about the Sorrels, but I take a pair of down booties snowcamping which weigh sod all and give me toasty warm feet at the end of the day. Top gear I reckon.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Bogong said:
You MAY be right skifree, but you miss the point. The point is that it is SUCH FUN to tease tele-zealots! They're like a cult and if you suggest that there may possibly be other paths to God (or ways to turn a ski), they go all red-faced and splutter something about heresy.
darwin said:
Im with bogong, they probably all use macs as well.
So what are the things with scary, fanatically loyal users.
- Telemark-zealots (obviously)
- MacIntosh computer users (really scary, they're often trekkies as well)
- Trangia stove users (inefficient, heavy things designed so school kids can't hurt themselves)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass