1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Telebry Safeout release plates

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ziggy, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Bryce Wheeler is, or was, a telemarker in Mammoth Lakes. He's now about 90. He wanted to keep turning when he retired but judged the available 75mm release systems inadequate and so drew on his extensive mechanical design expertise to make his own.

They are DIN-rated and release in 360 degrees.

There is an adapter plate predrilled for common 75mm bindings and it accommodates 22D 6 hole patterns so you can use them with Outlaw and Lynx NTN as well.

That plate has a simple oval waisted pin that slots into a fork on the mounting plate with adjustable tension. Put enough force on that pin and it pops out letting the ski go.

Release brakes are available and some binding models also allow those to function as step-in brakes. You can in principle step back in after a release but I've found it too fiddly.

The mount plate is 10mm thick so a shim is supplied for the heel riser. For 22D NTN another is needed under the binding block.

I've skied these for over 10 years and have recently replaced the forks. The polymer adjustment block started vibrating back and a drop of Loctite fixed that. For NTN I found +1 to +2 tension was needed compared with 75mm.

This system has saved me knee injury though on one occasion premature release triggered by poor technique caused me injury as well. There isn't a perfect system.

It also obviously allows easy binding swaps between skis.

Pics:

Safeout separated, with Outlaw binding. The green plate is the adapter. The pin is in the closed position. It's attached to an external lever that allows it to be rotated 90 degrees and so manually open and close. You can clearly see the 4 screw pattern of the mount plate.

The pin in the open position

The fork edges in the mount plate

The mount underside. The fork is actually two spring steel plates, anchored at the bottom and with an adjustment at the top that varies their joint tension.

The adjuster screw is accessible when the mount is fixed to the ski. So it's simple to increase the tension when you drag that 18kg pack onto the back for the BC epic.

Side view of the whole rig

For more details: https://www.telebry.com/

Attached Files:

Untele-whippet and Chaeron like this.
  2. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

Engineers, can’t live with them, can’t live without them....

Thx for the detailed post @Ziggy

Certainly less probability of ripping a tele binding out of a ski or doing a knee!

Hopefully someone like ATK comes up with a universal click in click out adapter for swapping tech bindings across skis more easily - their ski saver plate is a good start!

https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodotto/accessories/race-accessories/r06-2/

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Rottefella 7TM are release bindings but they don't release forwards. That cost me an ACL tear and an end to a NZ ski trip.

Voilé used to make the Complete Release Binding which used pin compression in the fore-aft plane to release.

22D say their NTNs will release but they aren't adjustable and DIN-rated.

Meidjo have adjustable release but it's not compliant with a standard.

For me a regular hazard is a downwards traverse across a soft bumpy surface where the uphill ski submarines and stops, producing twisting forces through that leg and potential hyperflexion of the knee.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. teletimmo

teletimmo Addicted

I'm selling a pair in good condition if anyone is interested

5. Ziggy

6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Isn't Dynafit / tech a standard? Just not developed from telemark side.

7. teletimmo

teletimmo Addicted

I've got the standard safeouts as well as the kit for hammerheads. Can be used on a multitude of binding types

Attached Files:

RapidRob and Ziggy like this.
  8. Ziggy

Stick em in the Marketplace.

I would've bought them for spares but just got some from Axelotta.

Chaeron likes this.