Trip Report Telecrag Traipses about in the Brindabellas

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
One of those days where you don't really go anywhere, don't really do anything, and it takes everything you have.

Up the stairs, the stairs my god the stairs, at the start of Stockyard Spur
FullSizeRender 2 copy.jpg

After an hour, where I smashed it up, overtaking about a million walkers, who were all in awe of my carrying capacity and stupidity, I donned the skis maybe hundred metres elevation below the heli pad, and skied to the high point of the NEVERENDING Spur. The snow was soft, and no skiers had been up yet, just a hundred walkers or so, so break trail the whole way/ Nice view but
IMG_9868.jpg

IMG_9871.jpg

Second breakfast at the junction
GOPR6239.jpg

Now, just head up Gingera with the crowds...hmmmm, why not break trail to Ginini?
IMG_9878.jpg

I love it when the snow does this, its fun!
GOPR6240.jpg

I go a half hour past my already extended by an hour turn back time
IMG_9881.jpg

No summit for me, I just don't want to be trying the rather technical ski down the spur shattered, and in the dark. I head back, nice view of Gingera
IMG_9891.jpg

Back along the Spur, up down all around
GOPR6256.jpg

Ive done 3 litres, but I need more, and some food, so I find a nice spot
IMG_9893.jpg

Home, its not that far!
IMG_9896.jpg

Or is it?
GOPR6261.jpg

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I gotta say, even at the best of time Stockyard Spur is bloody hard. Throw in some average sod weird snow, and wow. The walkers were falling like flies, I took about 50 no joke, and one group I watched dissipate, as we leap frogged a bit, they looked like the best chance of making it to Gingera (most were either hoping for that or Pryors). But there was this group of ladies, some wearing makeup and bringing a bit of glamour to the backcountry, I could hear them yelling in joy behind me as they got to the first of the snow, and they went past while I was having second breakfast,. looking strong (and good) more power to them, don't judge a book etc etc.

art

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
Nice to see you got out there after aborting earlier in the week.
Impressed the snow is still holding in at the helipad.

That trail gets tough with the bazillion walkers frozen postholes.

I reckon the walk down is worse then the climb. You should have exited via NSW;)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I may never do it again, it would be easier to ride my bike from wherever they lock the Franklin Road! It is seriously hard. I hadn't done it since I was in my thirties.......back in the early 90's....

Sounds like a job for Ubiquitous Steve, Mr T and Co. and their chainsaws?

I take it that would be frowned upon? :whistle:

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com
Great TR. Been about 4 years since I've been up Stockyard Spur (in summer).

Guessing they must have opened the road to Corin Dam as a work colleague was planning to go up Stockyard Spur the previous weekend, but they had the road closed just past Corin Forest.

Reactions: telecrag

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, I tried on Tuesday, and without even the Ranger, or Water utility being aware (Ranger couldn't go to work, and the water guys had a boat to do stuff with) the road was no access, closed by the electricity guys. I was pretty pissed off, having driven all the way, had my bike in case it was locked at Smokers, but was not allowed through at all.

I did make the point that the lack of communication, given they have a website, and there is a website specifically to see if roads are shut (I checked), is how the Ruby Princess happens. Maybe they should give me a job, they seem a bit useless.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
It's not too bad when in shorts, singlet and trail runners, but when loaded up with gear like @telecrag the 500th false summit would have to be pretty disheartening LOL
The singlet short runners people were out, but the snow was really soft and deep, they were suffering and turning back. But the lack of a daypack I can strap skis too atm (all busted), meant I had the take the big one, so like with the van, you just chuck stuff in. I saw some guys going in to ON, and I reckon they had less weight. Mind you the camera is 2.5 on its own.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
But there was this group of ladies, some wearing makeup and bringing a bit of glamour to the backcountry, I could hear them yelling in joy behind me as they got to the first of the snow, and they went past while I was having second breakfast,. looking strong (and good) more power to them, don't judge a book etc etc.

I may know them

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Excellent. Burnt some calories and no one lost an eye.

Summits aren't all they're cracked up to be and it'll be there next year.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass