1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Telemark NTN / 75mm critical performance factors?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Idoitmyway, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

None of my cable bindings or their equivalents 'clamped' the boot: they pulled a non-standard tab into a non-standard slot and the result was varying amounts of slop in the vertical and horizontal planes.
    With the positive linkage that the Outlaw X provides there's more connection, stability and control. I don't care whether in engineering terms that's a qualitative difference. In user terms, mine, it is.

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Possible, but un comfy.

3. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

If you are having to do so much mucking about with the binding then what you really need are lessons.

Throwing hardware at your issues are not going to solve them.

4. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

You already have. The Meijdo uses a rigid connector

https://www.skibaumarkt.de/wp-content/uploads/Meidjo-2-1-mounting-instructions-of-MEIDJO-2-1.pdf

5. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Once the Outlaw butt clamp locks in, the toe slot, sole and butt clamp are one, joined by steel rods that don't twist. (Edited).

Telemark Phat likes this.
  6. art

art One of Us

I like a bit of "lunatic fringe" . keep it up. You learn stuff from experimenting and often not what you thought you would learn. If skiing days are a limited resource for someone then its hard to justify spending time on experiments but it sounds like you have an envious amount of time on snow so why not spend a bit experimenting.

So to confirm you want to try, and what the current systems may not quite achieve is:
    1) minimal or independently tunable flex
    2) maximum torsional stiffness
    3) keeping the tele feeling (which i suspect is about a natural foot flex often part of 'breaking the bellows' and definitely no tippy toe sensation).

I wonder what it would be like if you had the boot sole from a little way behind the bellows back rigidly attached to the alu plate and the plate is hinged at the ball of the foot (might take a bit of experimenting to get this pivot position just right). A single rigid pivot should deal with torsional stiffness. The front of the boot would be left free to flex and would slide back along the ski a little as the boot flexes. ie nothing holding the duckbill/toe pins etc. just something slippery under them.

just throwing an idea out there.

7. Dropknee diehard

Dropknee diehard Early Days

I can understand why @telenomore and @Idoitmyway are a bit cynical regarding the shift to NTN.
    I have had the pleasure of skiing with both of these gentlemen as I am sure a lot of others on this forum have had too.

Both modest fellows who let their skiing do the talking.....one the Dick Durance of Telemark Powder skiing the other the Stein Eriksen of Telemark carving and racing and both exceptional instructors.....all done with leather boots and skis the width of a ciggy packet. They could do then what a lot of NTN skiers can do now...and I'm sure they are still doing it....been a while since I skied with either of them.

When I first skied NTN back in 2008 I thought it was cheating.
    Through hardwork and trail & error (Thats my predominant learning style) it had taken me 20 years and the sacrifice of Income that ski bumming involves and all the kit upgrades to get to a point in my telemarking that I was finally happy with.

My first runs on NTN (I adapted pretty quickly) I was thinking geez if only this was around when I first started....but in hindsight what a journey I have had.

Think I will try and do some courses next season to see where its all at now and judging by the vids on here think I have a long way to go so the journey continues. Reckon my son will be into it too.

Would love the sweet flex of leather like an Asolo Extreme Pro with all the advantages of a lightweight NTN binding.

Keep up the Old school approach as we have seen the effects of such an approach in sports like surfing.

8. dossa5

dossa5 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Mostly pencil line edged with down hill ski