1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Telstra air - any experience in Europe?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Ian D, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Telstra push their free wifi air network as accessible at 19 million spots around the globe and coverage seems pretty good from their map in Europe.

Anyone had experience with this? Good, bad, indifferent?

Am I better off just getting a local data sim when in Italy?

Thanks

2. Ian D

Lol 50 reads no replies. I am guessing more than just I am wondering the same thing.

3. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Is Telstra air that widely used here for people to know?

4. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

With over 800 products none of us know what we are using.

5. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Never heard of it. Googled. Seems alright on paper but IMO none of these wifi hotspot networks can ever substitute for a local sim. Wifi hotspots not much use when driving and seem to never be available when needed. Ever since EU roaming laws changed last year, one can use a sim all across the EU as though one was in the sim's home country. Ie. Get yourself a uk/german/italian/whatever sim and use it for duration of your Euro trip

skifree likes this.
  6. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

last year we were driving in Spain and Portugal and had a week in Rome
    we had sim cards from 3 - bought here - and used a lot of wifi anyway
    they worked well, didn’t cost hugely
    when we reached the end of the pre-paid month we still had credit and tried to recharge
    it turned out that we had to use a UK credit card for that, which we didn’t have
    so I used their online chat to raise the issue, and they just rolled us over for the other 3 weeks of our trip using our credit
    they also suggested they could offer a deal for us to use our sims back here
    the prices were very competitive with the extortionate rates we pay here
    as we already had plans here we didn’t take it up

7. Ian D

That is exactly my concern which is why I was asking if anyone actually had experience with it.

8. XTREMO

Yeah I guess what I'm suggesting is that regardless of other peoples' possibly positive experiences, it's no guarantee that yours will be the same and there are inherent disadvantages of relying solely on wifi hotspots. Not least of which is the fact that there's about 0% chance they'll be working when you guys are skiing and may well be sparse in ski resorts.

Getting a Euro sim is a no brainer considering how cheap they are. If you have relos in the UK then the 3 deals are good. But since the roaming law change, basically any pay as you go sim will do the job. Be aware that some providers (such as 3) require you to be a uk resident and will only accept uk credit cards with uk billing addresses. Despite having uk bank accounts, I can no longer top up my 3 sim since my billing address is now outside of the UK.

If you're stuck and don't have relos in EU, PM me and I'd be happy to try to help, although I'm in DE and the included data allowances are much less than what you get from the UK networks.

9. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

What was this?

10. XTREMO

piolet, CarveMan and skifree like this.
  11. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We got a 3 sim, sent to Australia prior to leaving and I activated it before I left and was able to use in Singapore during our stopover (better than the airport WiFi that YK struggled with)

I had a second phone that was telstra, I never got any free WiFi that YK couldn't access and that was between telstra air and a fancy app my work built specifically for us

12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

13. XTREMO

While I don't have use for it in Europe these days, the 3 sim is a great one to have in the quiver, because its "feel at home" roaming feature works in 71 countries including the US, Australia and others. Annoyingly, Canada isn't yet on the list. Note that the data is 3G, not 4G/LTE. Still great for majority of travel usage.

Before I travel to the US, I normally get a friend in the UK to pop into a 3 store and buy a top up voucher for me.

14. Ian D

Thanks for feedback.

While not the cheapest option the avoiding of fiddling around the AustPost TravelSIM does look appealing

15. Ozgirl

How is it any more appealing than a 3 sim?

16. XTREMO

I agree with Ozgirl. Buying a 3 sim from Ebay would be a good option, esp if time is on your side and you don't mind waiting a month or two for it - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Three...0057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.X3+sim+u.TRS0

It'll come in handy in the future too.

It comes with 12 GB/1 month loaded so you'll be good to go for your first trip. For future trips (or subsequent months of the same trip), you will need to top up and you may find its problematic unless you know someone in the UK who can buy you top-up vouchers

17. Ian D

It would only be handy in the future if I have a way to recharge it - which I don't. No relos/friends in UK.

18. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Recharging the 3 is a pain - we had to use our friend to do it. My current Telstra deal has free roaming in a bunch of countries

19. Ozgirl

Ian D likes this.
  20. Ozgirl

Not a pain.

See link above.

You get a code and enter it after calling the top up line. Voucher is an option from the menu.

21. Ian D

I was unaware that Telstra did any free roaming, I thought it was just complimentary reaming ;) Must check out, would be best option!

CarveMan likes this.
  22. Ian D

Best I can find on Telstra is $10 per day for up to 200Mb per day, charged on the days you use it.

23. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Telstra is planning to reduce it’s product list from 800 plus to 21 ((I dunno where 21 was dreamt up from). So be aware products listed today may not be there tomorrow.

And they are canceling products without letting customers know. They canceled my long term use if a message service and flicked it to voiceusekessmail. First i knew was when I got a voicemail. It took a while for our company Telstra rep to find out what happened.

24. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I have that included free in my plan

25. XTREMO

Thats brilliant. Thanks for reminding. Will defo come in handy.

26. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

Another option to look at is GiffGaff (UK) - the SIM itself is free to obtain & no contract. You top up on the web and one of their deals is their Goody Bags, £10 for unlim call/txt & 3GB of data to be used within a mth. I just loaded the site from an Australian IP address and they say they can post to anywhere in the world.

As XTREMO said, because of abolition of EU roaming charges, that 3GB of UK data will be usable in EU (at least until 2019...). The only thing to watch out for is, if you are flying direct to Europe from Oz I don't know what happens if your first connection to the network is EU rather than UK , but you can easily check with their cust support before buying.

27. Ian D

Thanks. Had a chat to a friend who was there about 6 months ago and he said the tourist TIM SIM (Italian equivalent of Telstra) was super easy to get and gave 12Gb of data for 30 days for 20 Euro. It looks like that has been increased to 15Gb now still for 20 Euro. He said in Rome it was really really easy to get, takes about 10 minutes and there are TIM outlets everywhere. So I think I will just pick up a SIM when I arrive.

Alternatively can buy before I go and have an activation code issued:
    https://www.tim.it/tim-tourist-en

CarveMan likes this.
  28. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds like a plan.

I was having a beer with my friend when I had just arrived in Chamonix one year, I was asking him about local SIMs, he didn't really know but Glen Plake was sitting at the next table and chimed in that the post office sold them - worked out well so not surprised there's an Italian equivalent. Maybe when you get to the Dolomites Reinhold Messner will be there to advise on the local telco situation!! LOL ROFL

climberman and Ian D like this.
  29. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, sounds like just getting a local SIM for what ever country you'll be spending most time in is the best bet. Last couple of trips I have been getting the Austrian A1 one 10 Euro for 30 days which has been good value. Noe that EU has turned off roaming charges even better.

30. Ian D

Actually this looks like a fairly good deal. Anyone used these guys? Not having to sort in foreign country on arrival is a big positive IMO. Prepared to do it but if I can avoid would be easier.
    https://www.roamingabroad.com.au/product/europe-sim-card/

Price is compatible - about 30 Euro. The TIM one quotes 20 Euro but implies there is a 10 Euro activation fee as well so almost no difference in price. Couple of Gb less on this one but not a big deal, still 9Gb.

31. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

According to this, not good at all, unless it has improved since 2016

I've seen a few posts from over a year ago where people had a complete inability to use Telstra Air overseas. This hasn't changed. I would say I'm pretty tech savvy, I can usually troubleshoot things myself but in this instance there wasn't a lot to be done when you're in a foreign country and don't want to spend huge $ on a phone call to telstra support. It works fine within Australia at Telstra Air hotspots, just not the Fon ones.

I tried Telstra Air using the latest version of the Android app on my Samsung Galaxy S7. I went to over 13 countries over a 6 week period and it only ever worked one time. That time I didn't do anything differently to the other times. The message I kept getting was "Something went wrong. Sorry, but we couldn't connect you to Telstra Air." I wouldn't rely on this for your data needs overseas, more reliable to just buy a local sim.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Air/Telstra-Air-Useless-overseas/td-p/606190

32. Ian D

Thanks - already come to that conclusion. :cheers:

Apresski likes this.