1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tents for camping in the snow

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by teckel, Apr 11, 2007.

1. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I have a good range of tents suitable for back-country snow-camping including the MSR and Vango ranges. MSR (current models) at the best price in the country. Vango includes geodesic domes at great prices (because they're older models. Semi-geodesic domes (3 poles) from $300). (Vango is a Scottish brand - very respected in the UK & Europe, but hasn't had the publicity it deserves in this country). Happy to post anywhere in Australia or come in and see them at Narbethong, Vic.
    - Teckel
    Mystic Mountains Ski Hire & Outdoors
    (I hope this is OK by the guidelines?)

2. tcross

tcross One of Us

Do you have any vango storm shelters, those big bothy bags

3. teckel

You mean those emergency shelter thingies? Actually the Force10 ones (the expedition arm of Vango)
    This is the Vango one
    [​IMG]
    This is the Force 10 one (identical specs)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.forcetentents.com/products/tents/mountain.htm
    No, but I could get them in for you.
    I reckon they'd be useful when doing daytrips into areas where conditions were changeable and a blizzard could blow in. An emergency shelter like that which can accommodate up to 8 people & weigh 0.9 kg (12 person 1.2kg) could be a life-saver. 1 person $55, 2 person $65, 4 person $80, 8 person $140, 12 person $180

To prove that they're up to the task, this is taken from the Force Ten website:
    "Britain's leading mountaineer, Alan Hinkes, has become the first Briton to climb all 14 of the world's 8000m plus peaks after successfully reaching the summit of Kangchenjunga.

To help complete his historic mountaineering challenge, Hinkes chose to be kitted out with a range of tents, sleeping bags and other essential equipment from leading outdoor performance brand Force Ten. The kit consisted of ................ and a Mountain Refuge shelter, an essential piece of kit for emergency situations."

#3 teckel, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. John Deere

John Deere First Runs

Do you have any Bivvy's....I am looking for one as emergency accom instead of the above.....must be basic, waterproof (breathable of course) and light.

5. teckel

The only Vango/Force Ten bivy bag imported is the 2004 model of the Force Ten Solo Bivy Bag
    [​IMG].
    $350. See http://www.forcetentents.com/products/tents/solobivy.htm for specs but it's 1.6kg, not 1.5kg. Other specs could differ slightly too.
    MSR doesn't do one.

Just checked the F10 one - there is one currently on eBay - Starting price $349, buy now price $379. Another online store is selling them for $369

#5 teckel, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  6. John Deere

John Deere First Runs

rtoo heavy for me, looking at about 0.5kg for a very basic emergency jobbie.

7. tcross

tcross One of Us

Thanks for that teckel, might just pass on them, great deals but just bought bivvy bag/tent from nemo equiptment so laying off the gear for now