Mega Thread The 2021 Ski Season Froth Thread

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Today last year..... the following day we were skinning up to and skiing Olympic.

A3073B9E-050D-4DA0-84DE-847BC266745D.jpeg
DD3F5726-6D1E-4439-AC59-866BEFE7DA3B.jpeg
90032E72-F95B-4E17-8B74-3B9EF937AE69.jpeg

Yesterday.....

691580AD-E526-420E-BAD3-B28B104FBCCC.jpeg
Yes, it is nice to get 60cm in early May, but if you don't don't get a follow up in late May or June, it all goes to waste (like last year).

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Yes, it is nice to get 60cm in early May, but if you don't don't get a follow up in late May or June, it all goes to waste (like last year).

I get your point and fair enough:thumbs:. Living close enough to make the most of it means it’s going to be leveraged;). The other facet is that it will generally hang about on the Alpine...So perhaps not fab for resort skiing but elsewhere it’s useful. All relative to individual interests I guess...

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Today last year..... the following day we were skinning up to and skiing Olympic.

A3073B9E-050D-4DA0-84DE-847BC266745D.jpeg

Yesterday.....

691580AD-E526-420E-BAD3-B28B104FBCCC.jpeg

Perisher most likely would have opened following this snow fall in 2020 - if not for Covid. The days following were primo for snowmaking before hitting a rut in mid May before a nice follow up dump at the end of May with more snow making after that - before it all went sideways for a late opening in the rain at the end of June.

May and early June would have been perfect early season and given the rest of the glug that was the main feature of 2020 - an early opening would have been close to peak conditions in 2020 albeit at the Valley only. But nowadays that can easily include Quad, Happy and Leichhardt - so not a bad little mini resort if you get a reasonable natural event and primo snowmaking conditions early on.

But alas I have little confidence the weather will deliver such now this May. Damp squib until winter breaks through in late June for hopefully an opportunistic July/August. At least schoolies is over early this year so if we get good snowfalls early July - we might get some perfect deep winter that's as uncrowded as it can get in 2021 before the August hordes arrive and the afternoon thaw begins.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
But alas I have little confidence the weather will deliver such now this May. Damp squib until winter breaks through in late June for hopefully an opportunistic July/August. At least schoolies is over early this year so if we get good snowfalls early July - we might get some perfect deep winter that's as uncrowded as it can get in 2021 before the August hordes arrive and the afternoon thaw begins.
Yes ! Rocketboy doom and gloom ! Winter is coming :)

ShavedBadger

Uniform-coloured lard bag.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
Any of the usual suspects got their long term season forecasts out yet?

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Only man made snow this year. The deity of your choice is mighty pissed off with Thredbo.
Thredbo new snowmaking should be all good by end of May. They apparently did the repair job properly and that’s taking a bit longer to finish. But chances are the glacier at friday flat will be operational by June 12

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
To add to the froth, Ill be getting all my gear out next weekend and checking its all ready to go.
I am still trying to light a fire under my twins to get them to go to Rhythm and buy ski boots before the season - otherwise get rentals organised while they still have the pre-season discount.

The froth isn’t quite strong enough in them yet - I have been sending them some of the photos from @SMSkier (and avoiding any mention of @rocketboy doomcasting or possible resort capacity limits and need for reservations) but it hasn’t kicked in yet. On the other hand I have done two one-day pre-season missions in the last couple of weeks :)

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
I am still trying to light a fire under my twins to get them to go to Rhythm and buy ski boots before the season - otherwise get rentals organised while they still have the pre-season discount.

The froth isn’t quite strong enough in them yet - I have been sending them some of the photos from @SMSkier (and avoiding any mention of @rocketboy doomcasting or possible resort capacity limits and need for reservations) but it hasn’t kicked in yet. On the other hand I have done two one-day pre-season missions in the last couple of weeks :)
Looking at getting new skis there year and @Nightskywatcher sending me his sweet new rides is forcing me to do some research and figure out where I want to go.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I have a love/dread relationship with winter. Love actually being there and skiing, dread the exhaustion that goes with busiest time of year work wise coupled with the general busyness of getting to go skiing. More so that there’s a now longer commute involved.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I have a love/dread relationship with winter. Love actually being there and skiing, dread the exhaustion that goes with busiest time of year work wise coupled with the general busyness of getting to go skiing. More so that there’s a now longer commute involved.
I'm kind of feeling the same thing this year, first winter with 2 kids as last year didn't happen, though the eldest will be old enough for ski school, and matching that with a winter that I am expecting to be very busy at work where we are slightly understaffed due to covid nerves.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I'm kind of feeling the same thing this year, first winter with 2 kids as last year didn't happen, though the eldest will be old enough for ski school, and matching that with a winter that I am expecting to be very busy at work where we are slightly understaffed due to covid nerves.
Years of kids skiing, interschools, early mornings, lots of driving, lots of gear waxing. Dread the start, glad of the end, lots of fun in between. One day I’ll be a ski bum for a season and just enjoy.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Had , sold.

Kinda more interested to go to NZ / Japan nowadays.
I think my vibe is being effected by the dramas with caravan park in jindy.. Plus I really dislike Jindy in winter now.
What is the vibe at the caravan park these days? Missed staying there entirely last season.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Slave Child labour will fix that issue. ;)

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I’m guessing the music festival isn’t on this year. So be interesting to see the effect on crowds.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Pre winter froth is a thing!! ..... ok, might be several decades out but, what the heck LOL.

AAA2C7D4-1EB5-4D17-9DEC-93E60CC00368.jpeg

Reactions: NightSky

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
I'm not really into it this year hey...
Expectation of the crowds and traffic issues has me a bit bummed.

You know its out of control when you can hardly even get a camping spot within a short drive to the mountain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass