Mega Thread The agonisingly long autumn thread

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Last year Thredbo and Perisher opened early (on the Friday of the QBLW) and I was skiing top to bottom at Thredbo by the Sat/Sun- on natural and man made, Merrits and HN. I know it wasn't soft tasty freshies but with a season pass it was pretty damn good... People can say they don't count it as winter until there's top to bottom natural in July, but I'm more of a glass half full kind of person, and I'm just happy with whatever we can get. Bring on Jun 1st! :woohoo:

Pour that beer into a smaller glass and it'll be overflowing with opportunity.

IMO "King's Friday" was one the best days of 2015 season. Front Valley was open all the way across, the surface conditions were near perfect. It was -8 overnight making the last run at 4.59 as good as the first one at 8.25.

If later next week comes off - and the rain stays away now and in mid June - then both Perisher and Thredbo during the first 2 weeks will be just perfect for beginners - young and old. Accommodation prices will be low both in Jindy and onsnow. Workers will be happy and the slopes will be devoid of traffic.

It was the same last year - and with Mid station and BC open it was quiet easy to mix it up and not get bored. If it's cold - the man made in June is often better than the natural slush in a warming August.

However, Perisher can go a bit crazy the last week of June with busloads of Queensland kids pushing the place to capacity limits if still limited lifts open. And if still only man made by early July - then the NSW holidays might even suck more than they did last year. So if it's good mid June - go - otherwise it might be late July before you can avoid 30 min queues.

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
However, Perisher can go a bit crazy the last week of June with busloads of Queensland kids pushing the place to capacity limits if still limited lifts open. And if still only man made by early July - then the NSW holidays might even suck more than they did last year. So if it's good mid June - go - otherwise it might be late July before you can avoid 30 min queues
Damnwell too old and cantancerous these days to put up with busloads of kids , been there done that , got the t-shirt that says I didnt like it LOL. I usually go a few times for day trips in June ( fresh on the ground) , experience tells me that although there are some good June's , most arent. Mid July is my starting point for the more extended expiditions , I like to go up for 10 day trips then come home for a few days then go up again for another and so on. Living fairly local and being self employed , grown up kids allows me this luxury throughout my dotage. Grandkids gunna spoil that a little this year ( no , not really;)) but I will suffer it in stoic silence until they are decent enough to go wherever they want.
Point is...........its gunna snow , we all gunna have fun , we all gunna bitch about something or other and we all gunna do it again next year. Aint life grand ?

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
but I'm more of a glass half full kind of person, and I'm just happy with whatever we can get. Bring on Jun 1st! :woohoo:
Glass half full ? My glass never seems to get to that point , there is always some bastard ( sorry , excuse please but necessary for context) filling it back up when ever I take a swig.

Reactions: AJS

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Finally autumn arrived in Brisbane this last week with some max temps under 25 degrees. Winter officially starts tomorrow, I wonder if we'll have to wait until August to actually get winter temps ?

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Finally autumn arrived in Brisbane this last week with some max temps under 25 degrees. Winter officially starts tomorrow, I wonder if we'll have to wait until August to actually get winter temps ?
:):) there is no such thing as winter in Brisbane , not really anywayROFLROFL

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
:):) there is no such thing as winter in Brisbane , not really anywayROFLROFL
Winters in Brisbane are great. Lots of blue sky cloudless days with max temps in the low 20's. Much better than those cold wet dreary days some of the southern capitals have to endure. :p

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Winters in Brisbane are great. Lots of blue sky cloudless days with max temps in the low 20's. Much better than those cold wet dreary days some of the southern capitals have to endure. :p
And for us poor folk further north it definitely does happen on a Wednesday, or was it Thursday last year.

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
meanwhile. yr.no has nothing but horror for the next 2 weeks - should flip back on the next run
My head says ignore the weather until mid June because early snow gets washed away by r**n, but like most on this site I just have to watch every front, and log in multiple times per day to see what the weather gurus here have to say. I'm a snow tragic and that will never change. Here's to a good season in the mountains.

Reactions: rocketboy and TDS

snowduck

One of Us
Dec 30, 2004
Adelaide
Tomorrow June 1

IIRC, the first day of June last year brought widespread snowfalls. I'm thinking the Blue Mountains got a nice serve that day

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
My head says ignore the weather until mid June because early snow gets washed away by r**n, but like most on this site I just have to watch every front, and log in multiple times per day to see what the weather gurus here have to say. I'm a snow tragic and that will never change. Here's to a good season in the mountains.

It doesn't always get washed away. ie 2011 2012 2014 2015 - only in 2013 was there actual snow that got washed away.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
June 2012 was pretty good too. Big dump late May. 800 guests at The Station over QBW with only a skeleton staff. I went mid week following, no queues, no crowds. It was excellent.

Can't really remember June 2012 to be honest, but I do remember August 2012 scoring epic fresh at Perisher.

By end of June 2014 we had well over 1m base thanks to those 2 big dumps toward the end of the month. Set the season up beautifully.

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Always like a late starting season , gets rid of some city numpties who decide Aussie will be crap and go to NZ instead. I wish more would go to NZ instead , well at least this year , ............but not next year. ;);)

Reactions: nfip

bengarden

One of Us
Feb 24, 2014
Always like a late starting season , gets rid of some city numpties who decide Aussie will be crap and go to NZ instead. I wish more would go to NZ instead , well at least this year , ............but not next year. ;);)
I hate a late starting season. Mid june before school holidays is a great time to get your legs back and pay cheap rates on accom before the place gets destroyed by the hordes and you have to stay away till mid July. I would love to get over to NZ for start season cause it looks epic there. The fact that the deposit is paid up for Japow makes it bearable though. It is what it is. I'll be down the first day you can ski FV on decent snow....

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Roger that.
The punters book their dates no matter.
Many days with lifts spinning and empty corals.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass