1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The Air Canada Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by chrisj, Feb 12, 2019.

1. chrisj

chrisj One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

For my return flight(s), my Air Canada app offered me seat selection for each leg of the journey, with diagrams of what seats were available - hardly any, considering this was at the earliest possible check-in time. So, I carefully made changes to my assigned seats for each leg of the journey, hit <Save> and got their message that "Unfortunately, seat selection is not available for this flight." :rolleyes:
    Fortunately, I was assigned an aisle seat for the YVR-BNE leg. I must say it's great on such a long flight to be able to just stand up frequently and have a stretch and move the feet around. Apart from having to stand up to let other passengers out, the only downside was that one of the hostesses was somewhat generously proportioned (not that there's anything wrong with that) and her hip would bump into my shoulder every time she walked past. They need wider aisles or narrower hosties.
    Now I'm back, with access to a laptop, I can see that option (not available on the mobile site). Would recommend it in the strongest terms for anyone wishing to fly to Sun Peaks from Oz with Air Canada in the future.

SnowRabbit and absentskier like this.
  2. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

So the skiing was worth the flight pain?

3. chrisj

chrisj One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, absolutely. I've always found that bad things often happen when you're travelling, but when you look back on them, they add to the texture of the memory.

4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I used to fly AC to Canada all the time with no issues. Always flew into Calgary though. Still do.

Now I usually have some business, friends or family to catch up with in the US, so fly Virgin to LA then Westjet to Calgary, either from LA or SLC.

5. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Oh hang on I do remember one AC flight that went awry. Twas the year 2000, we were held over in Honolulu for an extended stretch, they gave us a $20 food voucher for our troubles. Trouble was we had to clear US customs because of the delay. Not happy Jan but no AC fault.
    The only food you could get at 1.30am was a $16:00 hot dog from a hole in the wall. Worst hot dog I've ever had.
    Then they call my name as we're getting closer to take off time. The boys give it to me big time, they've got no seat for you , you're getting bumped you're going to miss a couple of days skiing. The whole enchilada. I nervously approach the counter and the AC lady tells me that there are two people booked on this flight with the same name and they've got me sitting next to his wife. There are no other seats. I ask the AC lady if the gentleman's wife is a looker and if so I'm happy to stay in my allotted seat. She shruggs and shakes her head then laughs. Then sends me away with the "we'll see what we can do". Return to boys still bagging me with slightly less vigour as their jibes might just come true. Not good for ya mate.

They call me to the counter just before the flight and gave me a seat. Phew!

As I sat in First Class sipping my champagne and watched the boys file past I bathed in the luxury and felt not a tinge of pity for them sitting cramped in cattle class.:emoji_champagne_glass::emoji_champagne_glass::emoji_fried_shrimp::emoji_fried_shrimp::emoji_cake::redwine::redwine::emoji_beer::emoji_beer:

NewTurns, SnowRabbit, Crystal and 2 others like this.
  6. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Anyone have any tips on how I can claim my AC miles for our last trip, have been online with Aeroplan and keep getting the "Fare is not eligible for aeroplan miles" It is a fare purchased through AC, flying on AC. Not sure what the issue is and of course there is no email address I can find to send a request into them !!!

7. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Addicted

Air Canada maintain that certain discounted wholesale fare classes don't qualify for Frequent Flyer points. If you didn't get the points at the time of flying I expect it will be difficult to get them now. Did you add your Aeroplan number at the time of booking?

8. Crystal

I thought I had but obviously not as not shown on boarding passes.

9. TheStig

TheStig First Runs

Can do a “Missing miles request” via the Aeroplane website.

10. TheStig

TheStig First Runs

Make that Aeroplane

11. TheStig

TheStig First Runs

You know what I mean - @*#$%#* autocorrect!!!!!

12. Crystal

yup did that.... and I get the "Fare is not eligible for aeroplan miles"

13. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

#yourfcked

Crystal likes this.
  14. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Air Canada international has always been a very good experience for me.
    Air canada domestic can EAD, westjet domestic Canada flights for the win all day everyday.

15. sly_karma

Survived our AC YVR - SYD just fine. Was even on time. I had an issue with my passport which was resolved fairly intelligently and decently by AC staff both at local airport and YVR. Jeez we had some turbulence out between Hawaii and Samoa though, I was literally shaken awake by it despite sleepy time meds ingested.

Crystal likes this.
  16. sly_karma

One tip for seat selection on AC 777 aircraft. Way down the back the body of the plane narrows and the seat configuration for the last 4 rows is 2-4-2. Row 41 and 42 are the first of this setup. The aisle suddenly gets wider and the window seat is not tight against the hull so there is room to put hand items in that space. IMHO this makes these four pairs of outboard seats superior to the other econ seats. Rear rows generally are avoided by most travelers so it is usually possible to select these if you get in at the 24 hour mark when seat selection is released. Seat guru website doesnt mark them as preferred seats which is good because AC would probably upcharge for them. Just remember dont get the very last row (44) because seats don't recline as far and people sometimes congregate whilst waiting for toilet.

piolet, Marty_McSly and Chowder11 like this.
  17. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Same on 747s.

sly_karma likes this.
  18. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty much the story for most airline flying this plane.
    Have used this trick for a while.

Also it seams they fill the plane from front to back so if you book the last few rows if the plane isn’t full you have a better chance of snagging an whole row to yourself

sly_karma likes this.
  19. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Yep. Some people bag these seats for being near the toilets, but I've never found that a problem at all. If my partner and I are flying on a flight with this configuration then we'll always grab these seats. It usually costs nothing to select them with Air NZ at time of booking (at least last time we did it was still free...). A couple of other bonuses too, Air NZ usually reserve the back 1 or 2 rows of 4 seats for crew, and they are often unused, so that makes this part of the plane even quieter, and you can often do well on the extra food/drink front too from the nearby attendants.

piolet and sly_karma like this.
  20. sly_karma

Yes a quick ask to the attendant quickly netted us a glass of wine each. And shortly after that they served breakfast...

piolet likes this.
  21. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

I was scheduled to fly out of Melbourne, sat 4 hours on runway, only to be unboarded, go home and return to airport for flight 24 hours after schedule.

Told me to claim taxi fares and email for refund. Imagine the wait will be months. Offered 25% off next trip.

Understand that problems can happen and this obviously mechanical however if they can offer 25% off next trip surely enough margin in it to treat us properly?? Lost a day of leave, day of skiing and a night of accomodation in whistler that gets me no refund.

22. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Of interest to this thread Qantas will be opening Seattle and Vancouver direct from Brisbane next year some time. Should be interesting. Why they offer very little in flights to Canada is amazing. Best deal $$ wise to Vancouver from Oz is American to LAX and the Vancouver , tax is flatter than QFA. Though 242 from BNE to LAX then Vancouver is tempting.. For us this year a 3 day layover in Vancouver and then short flight to Big WHite /Kamloops awaits.. Direct to Vancouver next time.

23. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

December to February again or permanently? They've flown peak NH ski season out of BNE for a couple of years.

24. Crystal

I have made a claim back through AC for cash reimbursement in the past...took only a couple of days.

25. sly_karma

Checked the seat plan for AC out of Brisbane tomorrow. This time the aircraft is the smaller 788 with 3-3-3 seating. Doesnt narrow at the back like the 777 does. I'm thinking go for second last row and hope for not full flight. Any other ideas?

26. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

2A, failing sufficient funds go for row 18 window or aisle

27. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

We always try for the front row of economy, just behind premium. Behind the bulkhead. About double the legroom for $50 extra.

28. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You can “preview seats” on AC website. It shows which seats are currently allocated and which are empty. Gives you an idea how full the plane is.

29. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

That is what we did last time, on the B777, altho had to tell a kid using the legroom we had paid for as a passage way to the other aisle to stop. Sitting on the aisle meant not just being squished into 3-4-3 but also as the cabin crew manouvered the trolley from (the crappy) PE 2-4-2 into the narrower aisle in row 18 also offset from the aisle in PE MrsOG sitting on the aisle each time had her knee bashed by said trolley. (Incidentally having stressed out and switched off disinterested 3-4-3 Economy cabin crew also attending to PE is one of the reasons, along with exact same food etc it is a very poor PE compared with JAL and Qantas say. AC is Economy Plus, with a bit wider seats, rather than Business Minus as on those carriers but they charge the latter price.)

30. sly_karma

Seat allocation on check showed plane close to 100% full. Reality was nothing like that, maybe 50% load. We each ended up with a row of three seats to ourself. Got 8 hours sleep and ready to face a full day!

Minor issues at check in re the passport/Visa thing but no real problem. Was nice to arrive in Canada with no issues though, just a quick "welcome home". For future trips I must have both passports current and with me, and follow the following procedure:
    1. Leave Canada using Aus passport
    2. Enter Australia using Aus passport
    3. Leave Australia using Aus passport
    4. Enter Canada using Canadian passport

If we were to use a route that involved transit of US we would need to use Canadian passports for that part.

piolet, Crystal and dawooduck like this.
  31. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

TBC has the dual passport thing worked out.

32. sly_karma

All I have to do is make sure to keep both valid at all times!

33. ralf_plough

ralf_plough One of Us

Message them on FB. I did that with some success.

Crystal likes this.
  34. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just got off an AC 788 bus. YVR-BNE 14H last row of PE. Seat was very good, but for the extra $ didn't think it was worth it. Food options the same as Economy,. Dinner on a real plate but breakfast in a plastic microwave dish = crap.
    Water is regularly offered, drinks cart was seen at meal time and twice with dinner, 3 times in total. This seems to be a trend on most carriers these days. Booooo.........
    6/10

sly_karma and DPS Driver like this.
  35. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The hot part of the breakfast in business is in the same plastic tubs ;) However, they do serve breakfast fruit and bread on proper plates.

36. Beerman

I've flown business on a few carriers, and none of them use plastic. That is just woeful that AC do that

37. KneeDeep

AC are the most expensive airline for BC and no pyjamas either.

38. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You have to sleep without pyjamas? :D

piolet likes this.
  39. Crystal

^^ Yes they like their cabin full of nakid people.

40. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What a shocking thought!

41. Beerman

It looks like I'll be comparing AC's direct competition this time next week. Well, into LAX at least. Will be interesting to see what the Red Kangaroo dish up and number of drinks cart visits

42. KneeDeep

Yes very scared women and children on the plane. Some blokes where a bit nervous as well.
    I did get a lot of attention from the flight attendants though. :whistle:

43. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    I've been watching fares for my trip to Van in September this year. Unfortunately the dates are not flexible and they fall in Aust school hols. AC is always the most expensive but in the end I book with them as I'd rather do the direct flight for business and not have to transit anywhere. I think their PE is fine. Never had a problem getting a drink and the food is fine as far as I'm concerned -it's dinner and breakfast. A lay flat bed is great and if there's super cheap deals I'd take it - in fact I'll probably try and bid cheap for the e upgrade to Biz but honestly all I really need is a bit of extra leg room and a slightly better recline and I'm happy to pay for that privilege.

44. sly_karma

Our trip was shoulder season, bidding for business class upgrade started at $2800. Even if the bid wins at minimum that's $200/hour, pretty pricey for a teeny tiny bed.

45. Beerman

And breakfast served in the same plastic microwave dish as economy...................... seats are good though.

46. luvthabumps

LOL - those plastic trays are really bugging you aren't they? Wow @sly_karma I was able to bid $700 pp to get from PE to Biz on one flight home in mid Dec 2016 on Air NZ and I had a mate who did same on AC for $750. Wouldn't even consider that sort of bidding. I think I could have paid less than combined cost if I had have bought Biz when I locked these in. Can you use Aeroplan points to upgrade?

47. sly_karma

Haha min bid for PE was $900. Anyone that paid it would've been spewing when they saw that economy was barely half full and we were all stretched out with 3 seats apiece.

dawooduck, oldgeezer and luvthabumps like this.
  48. KneeDeep

Can only use points if you have booked certain classes. Normally that is the dearest option that they offer when purchasing a ticket with all the options of being able to change flights etc. I just bite the bullet and purchase the cheapest class I can afford at the time.

49. luvthabumps

same here.

Yes, checked whether eligible for points upgrade and no dice.

50. sly_karma

Lions share of upgrades on AC go to its frequent flyer elite level members. Their north american model is heavily pitched at business travelers.