1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The Air Canada Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by chrisj, Feb 12, 2019.

1. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There is a hierarchy for upgrades. Generally they keep the seats open for sale until close to flight time, usually 24 hours. Then the computer crunches the applications for points upgrades. They get allocated to the highest tiers of FF first, then if unfilled to the next tier etc. If there are any seats left over they then get offered in the bid/pay upgrade option. Any left over are then sometimes offered as a pay for upgrade at the airport.

The algorithm for AC is somewhat quirky. Once I put in for the bid for upgrade option. I really wanted it, so bid the maximum allowable amount. I didn't get it, even though I knew from the seating plan there were empty seats. Strangely I was then called to the desk just before boarding and was offered the upgrade for 50% of what I had bid previously. Sometimes I think they keep a few seats open if they think there might be a problem with connecting flights because of weather etc, and they might have to find seats for people who missed earlier flights.

Jacko4650 and sly_karma like this.
  2. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

But AC are famous for overbooking practices, most of the time they will fill those business and PE seats so they can take those bodies hoping for any kind of boarding pass.

3. chrisj

chrisj One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Based on personal experience, I can assure you their concern with finding seats for people who have had a problem with connecting flights is precisely zero.

piolet and sly_karma like this.
  4. sly_karma

All airlines have their moments but AC really can be jerks. Friends had a domestic flight into YVR canceled at a few hours' notice due to "crew problems" (translation: "the flight wasn't full and we could use that aircraft elsewhere"), so they were forced to drive the 5 hours, pay for a fortnight's parking and then drive rather than fly home since they had a vehicle stuck in Vancouver. AC offered them a $200 credit voucher with a 12 month expiry - not per person, just the one voucher. My friend has both the time and the tenacity to deal with obstinate and obtuse corporate folks and it still took him a year to get something better. He quite rightly pointed out that the four flights were paid for with money, not credit vouchers, and that money doesn't expire after a year. Nonetheless he was stonewalled for most of a year, emails not responded to or misdirected, new file number assigned and reshuffled, etc. And try to find a customer service phone number for AC! Haha doesnt exist for calls like his.

The govt of Canada is working on air travel bill of rights at the moment. It can't come soon enough.

Zeroz, Chalkie, piolet and 1 other person like this.
  5. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I agree you have no hope as a holiday traveler. When I was doing lots of flights on AC I still only just made it to the level above base. Whatever it was called. Almost impossible unless you fly coast to coast a lot.

6. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

Question re AC and boot bags. Looking at buying some quality bags (Kulkea/Dakine etc) and taking them carry on. Most good bags are a bit larger than AC dimension criteria. Has anyone had any problems with slightly oversized cabin baggage?

7. sly_karma

When you have full loads, carryons come under more scrutiny. Be prepared to have it under your seat, full flights in the mid December to end of January period mean not enough overhead bin space for everyone to have a full size carryon.

Roymond likes this.
  8. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ok on the big jets, problem on the small turbo props, very small overhead bins and stuff all room under seat. Some flights have a system to put carry on bags in the hold on the tarmac but not all.

9. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

Main issue would be oz to yvr- friends had a whistler holiday cruelled by boots that arrived day 10 into a 14 day trip. Has made us reconsider packing boots in checked luggage.

10. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

That's a bit of an outlier going on the bulk of experience here. It's common for ski bags to be dropped for interior flights, especially on those turboprops. Skis or boots being delayed from SYD to YVR isn't a commonplace event AFAIK.

SnowRabbit and Roymond like this.
  11. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just sat in a QF Premium Economy seat across the pacific, which was 2 weeks to the day of my AC PE flight. All meals with QF on crockery, with real implements and glassware. AC seat is good, QF have addition of a specially designed pillow that goes over the headrest, which is a nice touch.
    Leg rest with multi adjust on QF, no leg rest on AC. Entertainment on QF about 2 x the choice than AC. Drinks cart seen 4 times in total on QF v 3 x on AC. Small but noticeable differences across the board. 8/10

12. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Don't take the risk.

https://www.sportube.com/Overheader-Padded-Gear-and-Boot-Backpack-p/bgsoh.htm

Highly recommended, and fits the overhead bag dimensions.

Roymond likes this.
  13. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

There are generally 2 schools of thought here. Boot bags checked in with ski bags (counts as 1 item on AC) v's boots in carry on.

I take the middle ground, boots in my checked suitcase. Worked for me in 2017 when a couple of ski bags didn't make it to Kamloops on the plane, but all the suitcases did.

Pademelon and Roymond like this.
  14. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

Air Canada refusing to pay the $150 of taxi fares, advising that they don't do that! They have given me a $150 flight coupon which lasts 12 months. After follow up emails (and long wait response times) have advised that they consider the matter closed with no further explanation of why their staff in Australia told me to do so. I'm pretty furious about this.

15. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It’s annoying, but try to keep it in perspective.

16. sly_karma

This is their standard BS practice, never mind that you paid for the taxi with money, that doesnt expire in 12 months. Pretty much anyone I talk to in Canada about this uses Westjet if possible, because of ACs attitude to customer service. AC handles the small regional centres (obliged to by legislation) and focus heavily on business travelers, us vacation fliers avoid them as much as possible.

17. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

geeezzz...not good service at all.

18. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

Better yet, I can only apply the coupon after i fly, so I book the flight for 11 months time, I then wait 11 months to claim the coupon back against my credit card and trust that they honour it? These guys are criminals!!

19. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

wow !!!! wonder what the change was, they coughed up about $800 cash for me. Direct transfer to bank account.

20. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

I remember my first flight to Canada, Jan 20013, and the A340 was quite sparsely filled SYD-HNL. Sitting near the galley I chatted a bit with the male FA, establishing a bit of connection vis avis my brother a FA with Qantas international, and one-time ski-instructor aspirant. It was just three years since the old Vancouver and then Calgary based Canadian Pacific had been taken over by Montreal (and thus Quebecois managed) based AC. The FA lamented the cultural shift which had befallen him and his colleagues.:(

sly_karma likes this.
  21. Alex.C

Alex.C One of Us

That's how much they were offering for people to give up their seats on flights from Vancouver to Calgary yesterday (lots of flights over the past days cancelled/delayed due to the snowstorm affecting Calgary). There was a promise that they would get you on a later flight on the same day of which I was highly skeptical of...

sly_karma likes this.