Question The Annual When Will the Charlotte Pass Road Open Thread 2021 edition

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I can't believe this has not started yet.

Or has it and I missed it?

The road is cleared to Perisher Gap, but the gates are closed.

There is machinery on the road between Perisher Gap and Spencers Creek. I haven't seen it moving but the road does look as if it is being cleared when I'm not watching.

DSC00001.JPG

.Not my best picture of the CP road but it was taken today. I'll try and do better next time I'm out that way.

So possible the CP road will be open by 24/9/21 and to the turning circle by 5/10/21.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
IMG_0899.JPG

I'm told the road is clear to Spencers Creek gate and even beyond. Which might be where the machinery is as I can't see any plant on the road visible from Mt P far out wide.

Ambos came up to Eyre on the road, ordered lunch then found a patient and disappeared with them. Hopefully they got back to hot Café lunch.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Friday morning it is! Around 4am apparently?! Those Transport guys like to start work early.

A road closed sign will be at the top of Charlotte Pass driveway. They wont have anything open and would prefer no traffic in the Village.

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Out of interest (cos I’m in lockdown trapped elsewhere) what’s the story accessing KNP now Jindy is in lockdown with positive cases?
KNP still open so those that are able to can visit under the stay at home rules (ie. for "exercise and take outdoor recreation within your local government area"). Camp grounds and other on park accommodation closed. Plan is still to open road to CP in the morning.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Patiently waiting for Buckwheat to report this mornings conditions on the MR

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Road signage indicates it’s still closed. But barrels have just been moved and a non parks guy confirmed it’s open. That Is what I’m being told….

Reactions: skifree

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Update

Charlottes Ops has spat the dummy and wants road reclosed at Spencers until Tuesday. For which they have a legal contractual right to demand as they finish pack down. Stay tuned for an RMS confusion opportunity.

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Update

Charlottes Ops has spat the dummy and wants road reclosed at Spencers until Tuesday. For which they have a legal contractual right to demand as they finish pack down. Stay tuned for an RMS confusion opportunity.
Source? Strange news given agreement was reached by all parties this week to open it today.

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Source? Strange news given agreement was reached by all parties this week to open it today.

From the CP Ops Man at 10am this morning at the turning circle spitting his dummy at WTF are you doing here. Did you open the gate. Chill dude - It's on the LiveTraffic - what's Live Traffic - the RMS road app ... eventually got him to chill enough to explain you need to call Stadelmann and RMS and get it sorted - cause the gates are all open and the road says open to CP from Perisher and people from Jindy are going to drive up and wanna go skiing out the back.

If someone has a further update please post.

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
From the CP Ops Man at 10am this morning at the turning circle spitting his dummy at WTF are you doing here. Did you open the gate. Chill dude - It's on the LiveTraffic - what's Live Traffic - the RMS road app ... eventually got him to chill enough to explain you need to call Stadelmann and RMS and get it sorted - cause the gates are all open and the road says open to CP from Perisher and people from Jindy are going to drive up and wanna go skiing out the back.

Cheers @rocketboy. Yep - appears CP management may have not communicated to their on ground staff. Regardless, agreement was reached several days ago by those that have the final say and the road will remain open.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Not the experience of a lifetime.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSC00011.JPG

A second picture of the Crossing and a person crossing (for some reason would not load earlier), it looks like they got close to having a cool bath.

Reactions: Scrap and SMSkier

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
The refrozen water on the pavers just after the first snowdrift brought me unstuck yesterday. Went down like a bucket of shit.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Must have been out early!!?? I had a gentlemans start and was ok later on....
Where did you ski?
Went straight to Carruthers, but too sore to drop, waited for the snow to soften, watched groups come and go,bootpacking skiiers climbing straight up, mate dropped, I tried to board the SE shoulder, did a few turns and went back to split mode for limping return. Lots about. Purple is the colour of the day today.

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
Went straight to Carruthers, but too sore to drop, waited for the snow to soften, watched groups come and go,bootpacking skiiers climbing straight up, mate dropped, I tried to board the SE shoulder, did a few turns and went back to split mode for limping return. Lots about. Purple is the colour of the day today.
Oh no! I did the elevator about 11:15, was still pretty crunchy then, could not have imagined doing it much earlier!

Reactions: Myazma

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
Enough snow to skin all the way out still?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass