1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The Apex thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sly_karma, Dec 4, 2019 at 1:14 AM.

1. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

We have a few forumites heading to Apex this winter, so post away as you feel led. Opening day is this coming Saturday December 7.

sly-karma - long time local - will be around during the season
    Beerman and family - Maybe
    Crystal Clan - Jan 8th - Jan 24th
    Toff, Woggy, Hoppy - Jan 27, 28 approx
    Copakid - Jan 14-24
    Wasatchskier - local

#1 sly_karma, Dec 4, 2019 at 1:14 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    Chalkie likes this.
  2. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thought you would have added yourself to the list @sly_karma, being a local and all ;)
    Beerman and family is still tossing up SS or Apex/Manning Park etc. Will see who has the goods mid-late Jan.

3. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

Apex got any snow?

4. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

passes locked and loaded, Jan 8-24. Crystal clan.

5. sly_karma

Upper half has plenty but temps fluctuated a lot on the lower half so snowmaking only really effective the past two weeks. Opening day they will have the T Bar and magic carpet. I predict long lineups with racers, freestylers and excited public all hoping for those early season turns. I've decided to be part of the solution by staying home.

gortonator and Chalkie like this.
  6. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

@sly_karma : has there been much talk about the Indy Pass? I just realized that Apex is on it. A friend got Indy to check out Castle when she flies to Calgary for a late season trip. I know of someone in Washington State who plans to hit Apex and Castle on a driving ski trip.

I won't use Indy outside my home region this season. Got one because it was the first multi-resort and multi-regional pass to include the U.S. southeast and mid-Atlantic since it was announced before Vail Resorts added Peak Resorts locations to Epic. At US$199 for 2 days at each location, it was an easy decision.

sly_karma likes this.
  7. sly_karma

Yes I noted they joined Indy Pass, it's on the Apex website but that's about all I've heard. Mostly a locals mountain, anyone in the south Okanagan skis either Apex (intense terrain) or Baldy (cheap pass, laid back vibe). Not many bother with the drive to BW or SS, it's at least double the time each way. The reverse is true though, albeit on a small scale: race and freestyle families from Kelowna come to Apex to train and compete because the facilities and access are a lot better. Always a few people from the metro Vancouver area who are regulars because they purchased property at Apex and spend every weekend here.

MarzNC likes this.
  8. MarzNC

That's true of a lot of mountains on the Indy Pass. One idea behind the Indy Pass is to encourage folks to explore a new mountain that they may or may not have heard of before.

In some ways, the Indy Pass is a collection of regional multi-resort passes. With the advantage of being overseen by a life long skier who has a lot of experience marketing skiing and ski resorts. Doug Fish and his marketing company got Subaru started on the idea of co-marketing with ski resorts. Initially in the Pacific Northwest but spread to other regions. Recently Fish retired in order to have more time for projects like the Indy Pass. He'd been thinking about the idea since 2017 and had more than enough contacts in the ski industry to come up with a viable business plan and roll out. The list has gone from about 20 ski areas to 46 as of Dec. 4, 2019, with two added this week. The goal was 25 in the first season and 50 by the second. Might make 50 for 2019-20. Been fascinating to watch the list grow since June.

Nov. 30, 2019, NYSkiBlog interview
    Doug Fish and Birth of the Indy Pass

sly_karma likes this.
  9. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

We have Mission Ridge in WA season passes and hence Indy Pass benefits. I love Apex so a cheap deal is always an incentive to head there. And the wineries. And Sly :)

sly_karma likes this.
  10. sly_karma

Never got off my butt to ski Mission Ridge. What do you like best and worst about it?

11. MarzNC

I'm a little confused. The Indy Pass is a separate purchase for about US$200 from a season pass. Although a few places are offering Indy at a discounted rate. Mission Ridge is also on the Powder Alliance, which provides 3 free days at Alliance locations. That list includes Castle, but not Apex. A couple Indy locations in the east are also part of the Freedom Pass, which works like the Powder Alliance for a different list.

The difference from a business perspective is that the Indy Pass has a small cost to join, but brings in revenue to a ski area each time it's used. So it not only provides marketing outside the local region, it also can produce lift ticket revenue.