1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The Apex thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sly_karma, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

:( there goes my ideas....was getting harder and harder to plan though as the world locked down slowly.

2. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Still got until Sunday to get here. Lifts closed? You can get that ass of steel going and hike some killer runs with virtually guaranteed first tracks. Or buy a snowmobile and a length of rope, take turns towing each other to the top. With that massive snowpack there'll be good skiing until end of April at least.

Crystal likes this.
  3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You’d have to be mad to try and travel now.

4. sly_karma

Not to mention any discretionary trip would be competing for seats with people who are desperately trying to get home.

5. Crystal

Yes that would be my concern....I rather people get to where they NEED to go

... in a perfect world, I'd be made of money, school would shut, I'd get on a plane tomorrow, hit Penticton, buy a sled and head to Daves condo :) Oh I'd probably need some big fat banana skis too. Perfect self isolation...well family of 4 isolation ;)

sly_karma likes this.
  6. sly_karma

That one spot in the valley where you can see Apex proper. Spring down here, winter up there at 2200 m

The vines will have buds any day now.

7. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

damn it looks fine. (Adds Apex to the list for an urgent visit).

My wife has just started to ski and after taking it gently for 3 holidays, she genuinely seems to enjoy, so, suggesting longer ski trips now excites her, rather than scares her lol.

Hope to see u next year Sly !

sly_karma likes this.
  8. sly_karma

You'd enjoy a couple of days at Apex. Several ways to keep groups skiing together for the day despite having a mix of advanced/expert and intermediate. Apex's reputation as a mountain for experts is deserved, but there is plenty of novice and intermediate terrain as well. Recommend coming in February if possible to allow snow base to build - provided you're not restricted by Aussie school holidays. Given sufficient notice, I should be able to schedule some time for a guided tour of the mountain, including some 'not on the map' lines if you so desire.

'H' Jones and FNM like this.
  9. Crystal

^^watch out Sly will make you cry if you ski with him.

sly_karma and 'H' Jones like this.
  10. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

thank you Sly, I am seriously considering a Canada road trip, she's never been and can sample a few places I have visited before. As for skiing with you, I'll bribe you to be gentle with some nice red wine !!

Crystal likes this.
  11. sly_karma

You had me at 'red wine'!

'H' Jones likes this.
  12. sly_karma

Hey come on, we skied together what, ten times or so? before you had a little moment.

'H' Jones likes this.
  13. Crystal

heheheheeee yup, but wow it was great skiing :)

'H' Jones and sly_karma like this.
  14. sly_karma

Spent the day at Apex yesterday doing various end of season tidy up jobs at the ski club cabin. Despite signs to the contrary, there were lots of ski and snowmobile tracks on the mountain. According to my friend that lives on mountain year round, over 60 cm of new snow has fallen since operations ceased on March 18. Base that day was reported as 330 cm, so it's safe to say they made it to the near-mythical 350 cm. Probably a better season than the amazing 2017/18 because the big numbers hit earlier in the year; I can't recall a better January and the 300 cm mark was reached in mid February.

This is what it looks like when you close a ski resort weeks earlier than planned during a record snow season. The roof just visible in centre of shot is the operator hut for the T Bar. Huge piles of snow dug up and pushed aside to make drainage channels to accept snow melt.

The ski club cabin shed its snow recently, although there has been new snow since then. It's almost 4 m from roof edge down to ground level.

15. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

I wee'd there in February.

sly_karma likes this.
  16. sly_karma

New snow today, about 10 cm. Scheduled closing day was a month ago. No doubt there are some hidden dangers, but from the village there was not a blemish to be seen on the slopes. Snowbanks next to the main parking lot are still 3 m high. Drainage channels are running well and the melt is clearly on. Creeks down in the valley are swollen but not flooding yet, and Okanagan Lake has risen 30 cm since hitting low point a fortnight ago. Consider that the lake is 120 km long and 3 km wide; 30 cm over that area is a vast quantity of water, and there is so much snow left up high still to melt.

What a shame we never got to ski to the end. For Apex, this was probably the biggest snow year in its almost 60 year history.

Joe likes this.
  17. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Stay safe @sly_karma. Vancouver news reports flooding risks in the interior particularly as temperatures rise very significantly over the weekend (27 degrees in May!!!!) in the lower mainland.

18. sly_karma

There won't be lake flooding on Okanagan like in 2017, the big snowpack was quite evident back in January and the lake level was lowered accordingly to make room for it. But one sharp rain event could certainly cause some local flooding.

Factoid: Apex and its surrounds actually drain into the Similkameen River, which joins the Okanagan River just south of the US border. Despite being considered a tributary, the Similkameen is a fair bit larger than the Okanagan since it rises on the crest of the Cascades up in Manning Park area, and also drains other high elevation/high snowfall areas like the Cathedral Range and the Ashnola wilderness. During peak runoff periods, its huge flow is greater than the capacity of the river channel downstream of the Okanagan confluence. This channel is cut fairly deeply into the surrounding terrain, so cross country flooding isn't really possible. Instead, the smaller Okanagan River will flow backwards and the Similkameen water fills up Osoyoos Lake, about 3 km north of the river fork and straddling the border. Authorities on both sides have to watch carefully for this and take quick action. Outflows from Okanagan Lake in Penticton must be reduced or Osoyoos lake will flood in less than a day. The Americans have an irrigation/small hydro dam on the lower Similkameen that can be used for partial control of outflow as well.

I've heard of attempts at establishing commercial whitewater rafting on the Similkameen, but apparently there's only a narrow window of opportunity between way too much water (too wild) and not enough water (too tame). The sweet spot isn't big enough for a decent length season and so the rafting trips have mostly settled on the Thompson and Fraser. Good exposure (trans canada right alongside) and more sustained water flow rates.

Not sure how I got here! A comment about May snowfall ended up at river rafting via cross border river flow controls. Just call me the ramblin man...

IamDavobam and Chalkie like this.
  19. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Gees I can't wait to see some more of B.C. for myself. Maybe after June if all goes according to Dr Henry's plan!

20. sly_karma

Highway 3 follows the Similkameen for a fair way, basically all the the way from Allison Pass in Manning Park until Richter Pass just west of Osoyoos. That would be a good hour and a half of driving, and you see the river grow from a little creek to a wide braided river with lots of little gravel runs and minor rapids. The valley is fairly narrow in places and always spectacular. Not often you drive that stretch without seeing wildlife; over the years driving highway 3 I've seen bear, deer, moose, elk, mountain goats, mountain sheep, coyotes, ospreys and bald eagles.

Chalkie likes this.
  21. sly_karma

Little new snow at Apex this morning. Not much snow has melted lately, June has been cool and damp so far. Upper half of the mountain still showing more snow than ground.

[​IMG]

Jonathan_P, Pademelon and Beerman like this.
  22. Crystal

23. sly_karma

Fresh again. Apex Proper in this pic at 2200 m and other peaks not in picture showing solid cover down to treeline. Meanwhile, 1600 m below in the valley, the grapevines are coming along nicely.

Chalkie and Roymond like this.
  24. sly_karma

Not too much left now. Pockets below mid mountain are remnants of manmade in terrain park and race training lanes. Scheduled end of season was 11 weeks ago. Perhaps this will address the crop of questions we get each year asking if it's safe to book a Canada ski trip in March.

The open rocky face on the left flank is Pit and Westbank runs. Just a scree slope really, a handful of trees somehow cling to it. Seems amazing that it actually becomes skiable. Always an area of concern in the avy control program.

Crystal and Chalkie like this.
  25. sly_karma

High country cattle grazing in summer is still a thing in BC. Actually it is quite common in the southern interior region. Typical beef operation will own only a few acres of land down low with access to irrigation water, they grow hay all summer while the cattle graze wild on leased crown land up higher. In fall they are brought back down and pastured/fed hay for the colder months. Cattle sales are largely spring and fall, the animals then go to feed lots for 3-6 weeks of finishing. Cattle graze all over Apex Mountain Resort in summer, the open runs provide good grazing.

Video shot by Apex GM James Shalman on the way to work this week.

Crystal and Chalkie like this.