1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The Apex thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sly_karma, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

That's v cool. Much more interesting than circulating on a rink.

sly_karma likes this.
  2. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Conditions continuing to improve with another 13 cm last night. I skied the past two days and was most impressed with the quality of skiing despite a modest 90 cm base. Our cat drivers are doing a sterling job with little snow and the natural base off paste is nicely dense and well bonded. The only groups of runs not yet open are Wild Side and the double black lines beyond Toilet Bowl.

Crowds are up because of the holiday season yet lift lines are quite reasonable, especially when considering there is no singles line and many chairs go with only two occupants due to COVID restrictions. Everyone is wearing their mask in the village and the mountain crew is happy and enthusiastic.

It all looks sustainable from where I sit and I think we will have a good season. The point of vulnerability for Apex and all the resorts is staff housing. There are people sharing rooms, so cases will spread fast if one infected person gets in.

bigwhite-rameok and Chalkie like this.
  3. sly_karma

Just your basic sunny Apex morning with the valleys below thoroughly socked in.

Base just over 100 cm, early season still but the best quality base we've had in a decade or more. No granular sugary weak layer down low, just well bonded and solid all the way to ground. Some fresh in the forecast and all runs are open.

SnowRabbit, Crystal, Summit and 5 others like this.
  4. Chalkie

Chalkie A Local Ski Pass: Gold

February here we come!!!

Roymond and sly_karma like this.
  5. sly_karma

Sunny weekend was nice but now we would like more snow please. Clear night skies produced this beautiful pic by a local photographer though. This is what a mountain with a pitiful 600 m vert and four lifts looks like. So obviously shabby and small, no wonder the tourists give it a miss.

Chalkie likes this.
  6. sly_karma

Weather and snow were perfect for our very low key return to racing. Plugged in some timing and printed some start lists and let the kids rip. They were so excited to race after nothing but training for two months. Just our club U12, U14 and U16 groups, 30 in all. They did six runs each both days, plus warmup and slipping, they will be tired little puppies today.

Even though the coaches sometimes use transponder timing as a training tool, it's still training and definitely not the same as racing. The kids loved it almost as much as I did. So good to be in the timing room again (by myself of course). First race - skis or bikes - I've been near in a full year. I really missed it.

We did this one very minimally, just four volunteers. The coaches were very careful about keeping athlete groups separated and we called each athlete to the start gate last second. All seemed to work OK but it would be hard/impossible to do anything bigger than this under the current restrictions. Kids would love it if we did it again, we'll see.

AWJ, KneeDeep, Roymond and 1 other person like this.
  7. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver