The Autumn Surf Thread 2017

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Sunshine was very nice this morning..................3-4ft on the sets. I like this time of year. Especially after a very long hot summer.

Last edited:

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Out localed :eek:
When I saw who was rocking up I would had no chance , even though have known them been mates for many years.
Not just them but their kids are red hot too.....
and now the kids are bigger than me :eek:
I did ask for passports and a current visa.
was bit frenzy in the car-park with the Southerly coming , they been lucky to get an hour in....

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I'm guessing the rivermouth you're talking about nfip is also not the two I more often frequent south of BB!?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
correct ,
Just lucky at the moment with sand being in the right place for this one.
Tho swell direction still decides how it behaves.
There's a few around that have come good with all the rain of late.
Until the next decent swell then likely be back to junk and the noahs can have it to themselves..

Reactions: Belly

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
That's Ok as long as they come here spend their money then go back ;)
If they didn't the town would be stuffed.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
That's Ok as long as they come here spend their money then go back ;)
If they didn't the town would be stuffed.

Yep. Happy to be a blow-in. Have made some great friends down there by being respectful. Might make local status before I die with a bit of luck.

Reactions: nfip

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Secret spot this morning.
FB_IMG_1493285810561.jpg

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Photo of a "not-so-secret spot" (you'all can guess where I would have surfed, right) about lunchtime just after I finished. I got 15 waves, some of which were pretty good, in about an hour but was surfed out and somewhat pounded by a few cleanup sets by then.

It was 4'-ish on the sets but a pretty solid 4' that dished out some hurt if you were caught inside or bombed the takeoff.

Stats: http://surf.traceup.com/stats/u?uId=557376&vId=78140

Only 3-4 in the water for most of the session and by the time I finished only the chap paddling over the shoulder of the right in the photo was still out.

IMG_4051.JPG

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Photo of a "not-so-secret spot" (you'all can guess where I would have surfed, right) about lunchtime just after I finished. I got 15 waves, some of which were pretty good, in about an hour but was surfed out and somewhat pounded by a few cleanup sets by then.

It was 4'-ish on the sets but a pretty solid 4' that dished out some hurt if you were caught inside or bombed the takeoff.

Stats: http://surf.traceup.com/stats/u?uId=557376&vId=78140

Only 3-4 in the water for most of the session and by the time I finished only the chap paddling over the shoulder of the right in the photo was still out.

IMG_4051.JPG

That bank looks pretty fun and especially for Palmy on a more S swell @Ted Harper

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
That bank looks pretty fun and especially for Palmy on a more S swell @Ted Harper

Yes, rather better than I expected, or than would be normal for that swell power and direction. There was more than a bit of current and the bank was a bit odd too, so on the rights on the sets it went fast (and hollow) then suddenly stopped and you had to fade pretty hard back to the left, then finally it reformed with a nice right-hand wall all the way to the beach, and it is that inside reform section you can see in the photo. The lefts actually looked to be the better wave but they were inconsistent and between the waiting time and the current it was next-to-impossible to be in the right place at the right time for the takeoff. All 4 of us in the water were keen to get the lefts (especially the two guys who were goofies) but I don't remember anyone actually succeeding in hooking up a good one despite a lot of paddling around; I certainly didn't but a couple of the rights were fine so I went home pretty happy! I managed a nearly 115m ride on one of them which is pretty unusual for that part of the beach (which is normally take-off, couple of turns or pull in to an attempted barrel, then pull out or get wrecked on the inevitable closeout).

I was expecting to be down in Kiddies' riding slow 1' mush with the rest of the beach maxed-out so I was stoked when I came around bend-in-the-road and saw it lining up. I'm not surfing today (so it is probably awesome) but hopeful for the usual earlies Saturday and Sunday, and equally that the Saturday morning crowds (which in recent weeks have been a lot more than over summer, and _way_ more than normal for Palm Beach for this time of year) manage to be somewhere else this weekend.

Reactions: FourSquare04

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Reactions: Craig B

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
I hope everyone around Sydney who could surf today DID surf today :) Not the biggest waves ever - in fact only a bit over 2' on the sets for my early - but just about as nice conditions as it is possible to have. Glassy, bathwater-warm water (or so it felt), crystal clear to the extent you couldn't really see the water when looking down at the bottom, and enough waves coming through that just about anyone beginner to pro should have been able to take off and ride a good haul of waves happily.

Where I surfed (yeah, no prizes for guessing which beach...) looked like this just before I paddled out:

IMG_4059.JPG

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Froth, froth, frothety froth :)

Not as good as yesterday morning at "Ted's northern beaches mystery location" (wink) but still pretty nice - spoilt slightly early by some cloud offshore and slightly too low tide, and we didn't get the modest size increase I had hoped for (and that CoastalWatch had predicted) but really nothing to complain about. Friend and I both got heaps of waves. By the time we finished there were quite a lot of people spread up and down the beach enjoying it and I reckon it would be worth a paddle any time today - maybe go with more foam rather than less but you won't need any/much rubber on so it's easy to enjoy!

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Yeah fun weekend to finish a busy Easter - Anzac period. South swell little smaller than earlier model runs, still, found some fun uncrowded corners the last two mornings. Share the froth :)

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
@SAsurfa that looks a crap load better than my rather terrible session at DY

I had one of those surfs on Saturday mid morning that was really not enjoyable for the following reasons:

- Tide way too high
- Way too crowded for what was on offer (think beginners, grommets & people with NFI all mixed together)
- Swell seemed really weak
- So inconsistent & long waits for waves
- Bad luck (every time I'd sit in a spot nothing then as soon as I paddled away a set would come)

Once the tide started to drain, it started to get better and the mid morning crowds thinned out but came in very frustrated

The only positives to come were:

- Warm, crystal clear water
- Offshore to no wind

Hopefully everyone had a much more enjoyable session than I did!

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
@SAsurfa that looks a crap load better than my rather terrible session at DY

I had one of those surfs on Saturday mid morning that was really not enjoyable for the following reasons:

- Tide way too high
- Way too crowded for what was on offer (think beginners, grommets & people with NFI all mixed together)
- Swell seemed really weak
- So inconsistent & long waits for waves
- Bad luck (every time I'd sit in a spot nothing then as soon as I paddled away a set would come)

Once the tide started to drain, it started to get better and the mid morning crowds thinned out but came in very frustrated

The only positives to come were:

- Warm, crystal clear water
- Offshore to no wind

Hopefully everyone had a much more enjoyable session than I did!

Yeah I hate those sessions, really annoying.

Hence leaving Sydney and surfing with only a few people all scattered on their own bank. Also the arvo glass-off saw no-one out at a consistent south swell magnet with 2-3ft ramps everywhere.

Was saying a few times to my mate, if this was Sydney there'd be hundreds out.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Yeah I hate those sessions, really annoying.

Hence leaving Sydney and surfing with only a few people all scattered on their own bank. Also the arvo glass-off saw no-one out at a consistent south swell magnet with 2-3ft ramps everywhere.

Was saying a few times to my mate, if this was Sydney there'd be hundreds out.

Did you go South or North? Oh wait - I think my "Other CC" was the answer to that question right! :D

I thought it was our local version of CC :D

Reactions: Craig B

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
That brings back memories of the June or July 2001 super swell event.

I'll see if I can dig up some dirt on that....

Essentially if that comes off, expect the entire East coast from Tassie to Sunny Coast to pump for days

Last edited:
Reactions: W0nkey D0nkey

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Late next week still looks intersting but not sure we'll get a 'super cell' from the low pressure merger in the Eastern Tasman. There is also another bog standard southern front rounding the corner next Wednesday'ish.

Reactions: POW Hungry
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass