The Autumn Surf Thread 2017

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yeah I look at that stuff and can only think I was born a generation to early.
But then I think again and we had this place back in the "good old days" where we would so often get most of the "spots" genuinely to ourselves.
Many days I would be ringing around , yes landlines !!! looking for crew to surf with .
On that thought.
Mobile phones have been very much to the detriment of a nice quiet wave to yourself...

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Yeah I look at that stuff and can only think I was born a generation to early.
But then I think again and we had this place back in the "good old days" where we would so often get most of the "spots" genuinely to ourselves.
Many days I would be ringing around , yes landlines !!! looking for crew to surf with .
On that thought.
Mobile phones have been very much to the detriment of a nice quiet wave to yourself...
Yesterday, I surfed for 6 hours entirely on my own, admittingly it was no slab but it sure was a euphoric experience, given the conditions.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
@SAsurfa what do you think of the low sitting under NZ next Sat 19th? I'd been following this for a while on the long range navy charts and it looks like the LWT will amplify just east of NZ in the days following potentially resulting in a massive chopes swell.

Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
@SAsurfa what do you think of the low sitting under NZ next Sat 19th? I'd been following this for a while on the long range navy charts and it looks like the LWT will amplify just east of NZ in the days following potentially resulting in a massive chopes swell.
Progged at 938hPa central pressure on the 19th, it's looking to be a pig of a system. Very broad area of Severe Gale (B9) winds SE of NZ - looks big to me.
Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 9.11.38 am.png

Reactions: nfip and Belly

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
On another note, another extremely lacklustre session this morning.

No wind early, but as soon as I step out the door a weak S change springs up - typical!

Onshore, small, weak, crud overcrowded with a swam of frothing groms

I reckon Saturday morning early would have been good on the incoming

@Ted Harper was your secret Northern Beaches spot working nicely? :D

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
On another note, another extremely lacklustre session this morning.
@Ted Harper was your secret Northern Beaches spot working nicely? :D

Today (I got in the water a bit after 6:30) was better at the secret spot than yesterday was - I got a heap of waves both mornings but nothing memorable. Short rides ending in sandy closeouts (nice steep walls this morning at least), not too many surfing other than my usual group of friends. Really not working particularly well either day. Bodyboarding son of one of my friends managed to perfect a barrel roll this morning (landed 4 from 4 attempts) after a few months of trying; he and my son on their doormats probably had the best fun but everyone got some waves at least. There was a SUP contest further north than where we were surfing and they seemed to be making generally heavy weather of the suddenly-breaking, fast and sucky waves.

From reports on Saturday from people I know who check around (rather than just blindly paddling out at the same beach all the time as I am guilty of) the secret spot was a lot better than Avalon, which wasn't saying much. I couldn't say for there for today but driving past Newport about 9:30am today I saw a couple of ok ones coming through the Peak - hardly anyone out there so they can't have been too frequent.

Reactions: cin and POW Hungry

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com

Yep, significant weather system and large swell. Not monster monster at this stage, let's see how it pans out.

Went away from Friday, working remote and scored sick waves over the weekend. Friday was fun, but Saturday and Sunday so good. Mothers Day today kept the crowds right down :o

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Yep, significant weather system and large swell. Not monster monster at this stage, let's see how it pans out.

Went away from Friday, working remote and scored sick waves over the weekend. Friday was fun, but Saturday and Sunday so good. Mothers Day today kept the crowds right down :o
It's always a ball tearer of a weekend when you win the meat raffle at some distant boozer...

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong

Forgot to tell you to check back beach corner over the hill for some fun wedges on that swell direction ;)

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Nice and glassy 3ft A frames up and down the beach at Sunshine this morning.
at it's best , the whole place rocks and splits the crowds.
go for a drive find your own piece of it.
rather than everyone packing the usual go to spots

Reactions: Zimboo

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
This one going to slip away fairly quickly , where as the last got held in the Tasman by a couple of highs.
Still looks to be game on for the weekend..... and I'm going diving !!!
imageserver.jsp

IDG00074.gif

Reactions: FourSquare04

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
My neighbour was on the road about 5.00 headed that way to be sure tho more targeting a righthander.......
could hear it building over night. best get to work and check what I'll be missing out on !

Reactions: FourSquare04

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Quite a crew out at Maroubra this morning. Expectations high? Wasn't that great, though would have had a paddle if I wasn't riding the bike instead.

Reactions: POW Hungry

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Never seen it remotely working. Often surf the beachies to the south though.

Like I said in previous post, works maybe a few times per year. Needs very unique / unusual conditions (especially for this stretch) to work properly.

Only a select few would know when it was working or have the patience to drive all that way for the off chance that it 'might' be working IMO

Reactions: Belly

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
North of the second.walk along the beach until you get to the rock shelf
I'd say you be round the corner by now .... just checked down the front here , a local phantom reff break called mcrories , and it's got some size to it this arvo. Prolly up towards 6'0 ish
All the bommies are breaking with a lot of water coming over them.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
drove thru Golfy on the way back home but wasn't worth a photo.... light was crap too.
Bit more East in the swell than first thoughts earlier as you would expect with initial position of the L.
swell seemed to drop a little with the tide from my obs too.
I'll owe you one , when it's firing off next.

Reactions: Craig B

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Its been a very sub par Autumn here in SA. I know some days have pumped. Im trying to work out whether its my availability thats made it seem like an average autumn or whether it has in fact just been average.

Reactions: Craig B
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass