The Backcountry Etiquette Thread

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
Dhg etiquette this season appears to be - spread out a hundred metres and make a mess. Quite simple really, don't get how all you old timers can't get it right this year!! :)

Reactions: dawooduck

DJM

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
sydney
I don't reckon this is anything about 'rules', it's about not being a d**khead. Australia has a huge number of inconsiderate d**kheads, many who like snow sports, most of whom will never be able to work out that they are one.
Most so called dickheads are simply unaware as they haven't been educated. My wife started walking in a skin track the first time she came out and was taught the reason why she shouldn't. I'd guestimate that at least 95% aren't doing it because they are dickheads.

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
Avenues like here are an opportunity for the unaware to brush up on their etiquette so they can get along quite well with back country touring in groups.

Reactions: nfip

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
No one said anything about rules until sbm in post #8.

Comments about there being rules are really red herrings to the original intention of the thread posting.

Reactions: DJM and Kletterer

DJM

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
sydney
It's a good thread too TP, and as I stated earlier in the thread it's about educating. Other than idle chatter it's on the money.
I just don't buy into this
Australia has a huge number of inconsiderate d**kheads,
We have a very small alpine area in OZ so generalising about Australians being dickheads is off target IMO. It's obvious that if you spend your time learning the trade in countries with large snow terrain and broad skiing community then more people seem to know right off the bat. The same way most Australians know where a rip is when growing up near the beach.
The ones that get in trouble aren't dickheads by default.

MrWendel

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2012
The Can
vimeo.com
Australian Section of the NZAC just had a get together up in the Twynam Cirque. Looked pretty civilized, they had even dug down to the creek for water. Then I found what looked like the remnants of a wind shelter about up 15 metres upstream from the water hole, 5 metres for the creek. Skinning past I realised it was their latrine, I could see and smell a fresh one lying there.

I'm pretty sure that area is a marsh in summer and having a party of about 20 all piss and, in at least one case, shit in the same spot, 5 metres from a creek is incredibly poor form. If the NZAC can't get etiquette right on their trips we're in trouble.

Not too say I've never been caught out on the main range and needed to duck behind a rock but this seems very poor form.

Last edited:

TeleHack

Hard Yards
Oct 26, 2013
"Most so called dickheads are simply unaware as they haven't been educated. My wife started walking in a skin track the first time she came out and was taught the reason why she shouldn't. I'd guestimate that at least 95% aren't doing it because they are dickheads"

Yep, fair point. I wouldn't have a bad thing to say about somebody in that circumstance. I've just been disappointed to have to carry out other people's rubbish and to see human waste and toilet paper decorating the landscape.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Australian Section of the NZAC just had a get together up in the Twynam Cirque. Looked pretty civilized, they had even dug down to the creek for water. Then I found what looked like the remnants of a wind shelter about up 15 metres upstream from the water hole, 5 metres for the creek. Skinning past I realised it was their latrine, I could see and smell a fresh one lying there.

I'm pretty sure that area is a marsh in summer and having a party of about 20 all piss and in at least one case shit in the same spot, 5 metres from a creek is incredibly poor form. If the NZAC can't get etiquette right on their trips we're in trouble.

Guess we're boiling our water next week......

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra

I'm pretty sure that area is a marsh in summer and having a party of about 20 all piss and in at least one case shit in the same spot, 5 metres from a creek is incredibly poor form. If the NZAC can't get etiquette right on their trips we're in trouble.
Getting the same sort of thing around the climbing crags these days. Even at places like mount York where a 5 minute walk can get you to a toilet at the top.

PiniPowPow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 16, 2010
NSW South Coast
www.olasmontanas.com
In my old job I had to ask a bunch of secret squirrel Australian army operators to move their camp, they had set up within a few hundred metres of the Perisher Valley water supply! To their credit they were carrying out the poopies still 20 or so people pissing straight into the creek

Reactions: The Bush Patrol

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
A guy I climbed with at Arapiles told me about a time he was on the Nose of El Capitan bedding down on a Portaledge for the night. A party above tossed a shit bag that hit a blade of rock above him and spread in a ballistic spray fashion.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
In my old job I had to ask a bunch of secret squirrel Australian army operators to move their camp, they had set up within a few hundred metres of the Perisher Valley water supply! To their credit they were carrying out the poopies still 20 or so people pissing straight into the creek
SAS mate - prolly drinkin their piss!

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
The 10 Commandments of (not for) a beginning back-country skier. (Not hijacking this thread I hope)

1) Sleep when you're dead, but also carry an Epirb & GPS & learn to live without them.
2) Ski crampons. Skins don't always cut it.
3) When unfit buy more equipment so you have to carry more.
4) Buy old gear on Fleabay so you can onsell it on Fleabay when it turns out you can't use it.
5) Don't eat the yellow snow, go where the trolls go.
6) Blog, tweet, share, like - let no post go unfriended.
7) Worship the trinity: P-tex, Skin-wax, Coltex. Repair, don't replace.
8) Spill the fuel outside the tent.
9) if the tent blows into the stream go and get it. Snowpegs!
10) Make survivable mistakes close enough to civilisation & then edit the hell out of those Slack country posts.
10) Forget critical gear & only check the compass bearings AFTER the first km, especially in a white-out when solo. Learn about the snow poles.
11) Wear belay harness on ski lift. Ensure it clanks.
12) Shells with zips so you don't overheat. Layer!
13) Have an unforgettable day so you don't need to take photos. Alpine Starts!
14) Nap on the way home so you don't end up in a TAC ad.
15) Befriend the fear and scope the terrain in summer.
16) Bugger the bluebirds - get into fog & wind on short day trips so you don't end up a blizzard Virgin on a big date.
17) No cotton.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
The 10 Commandments of (not for) a beginning back-country skier. (Not hijacking this thread I hope)

1) Sleep when you're dead, but also carry an Epirb & GPS & learn to live without them.
2) Ski crampons. Skins don't always cut it.
3) When unfit buy more equipment so you have to carry more.
4) Buy old gear on Fleabay so you can onsell it on Fleabay when it turns out you can't use it.
5) Don't eat the yellow snow, go where the trolls go.
6) Blog, tweet, share, like - let no post go unfriended.
7) Worship the trinity: P-tex, Skin-wax, Coltex. Repair, don't replace.
8) Spill the fuel outside the tent.
9) if the tent blows into the stream go and get it. Snowpegs!
10) Make survivable mistakes close enough to civilisation & then edit the hell out of those Slack country posts.
10) Forget critical gear & only check the compass bearings AFTER the first km, especially in a white-out when solo. Learn about the snow poles.
11) Wear belay harness on ski lift. Ensure it clanks.
12) Shells with zips so you don't overheat. Layer!
13) Have an unforgettable day so you don't need to take photos. Alpine Starts!
14) Nap on the way home so you don't end up in a TAC ad.
15) Befriend the fear and scope the terrain in summer.
16) Bugger the bluebirds - get into fog & wind on short day trips so you don't end up a blizzard Virgin on a big date.
17) No cotton.
Bad etiquette, you can't count :evil:

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country

I'm pretty sure that area is a marsh in summer and having a party of about 20 all piss and, in at least one case, shit in the same spot, 5 metres from a creek is incredibly poor form. If the NZAC can't get etiquette right on their trips we're in trouble.

Not too say I've never been caught out on the main range and needed to duck behind a rock but this seems very poor form.
I went for a swim in Guthega dam back in March.
Week after I have never been sicker in my life with a bacterial infection.
Co-incidence probably , tho' maybe not .....

PiedPiper

One of Us
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
OK, not sure if this is the right place for this Q. but i figure most of the people i want to see will see it in here.

Whats the go / etiquette with hitching from DHG back to thredders?
ie. i want to park the car @ thredders, use the a single ride up the kosci chair, play around ramshead, and then return to DHG, hoping to get a ride back to Thredbo?

Ideally i will find a riding partner and we can leave a car @ DHG, BUT if i'm on my own whats the go?
Feasible? Do many people do it? frowned upon? or will i likely end up walking
(i'm not big on walking along that road, alone, carrying gear )

I'm a (lazy) Victorian so a bit unfamiliar with the protocol for this...

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
OK, not sure if this is the right place for this Q. but i figure most of the people i want to see will see it in here.

ie. i want to park the car @ thredders, use the a single ride up the kosci chair, play around ramshead, and then return to DHG, hoping to get a ride back to Thredbo?

Ideally i will find a riding partner and we can leave a car @ DHG, BUT if i'm on my own whats the go?

Generally a pre planned exercise. Not big frown factor trying to bum a lift. More a problem if there are none to bum. Suggest you ask anyone you run into on the day around Ranshead, if they have a car parked at DHG or ski back to the ski area boundary & at the appropriate time, generally a home run effort and ask those that are clearly heading to DHG if they have a spare seat. We're a pretty friendly bunch at Thredbo.

Reactions: PiedPiper

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Plan B, leave a pair of sand shoes in a plastic bag at DHG and walk back to Thredbo, it is down hill.

From DHG to Thredbo can be quiet for long periods, then busy. Many travelers are already full heading in for their own skiing holiday and so will pass you by.

Reactions: Jay Woo

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
Worst skifield hitching experience I had was trying to get the driver a lift back to the car, after a day of roadside touring off the Hotham road. We had a looong time to discuss the ingrained selfishness and lack of camaderie and character of Victorian skiers as hundreds of cars went past, many with one person! Perhaps it wasn't clear that we didn't want a lift for everyone and their skis/board, but no-one even stopped to ask.

Big props to the van full of 8 self-proclaimed bogan snowboarders who eventually squeezed my mate in after he was most of the way back to the car, say what you like about bogan snowboarders, they picked him up.

Rimey

One of Us
Jan 28, 2010
The modest end of the Great Divide
Worst skifield hitching experience I had was trying to get the driver a lift back to the car, after a day of roadside touring off the Hotham road. We had a looong time to discuss the ingrained selfishness and lack of camaderie and character of Victorian skiers as hundreds of cars went past, many with one person! Perhaps it wasn't clear that we didn't want a lift for everyone and their skis/board, but no-one even stopped to ask.

Big props to the van full of 8 self-proclaimed bogan snowboarders who eventually squeezed my mate in after he was most of the way back to the car, say what you like about bogan snowboarders, they picked him up.

No problem thumbing a lift from Baldy Hollow a few years ago. We were very prepared to walk it.

DJM

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
sydney
PP....stash a pair of your wife's roller skates in the bush at DHG. Such a blast on the way back.
Or do as most of us do and leave your pushie chained up there. Not as fun as Roller Derby.

neck_deep

Addicted
May 10, 2011
5 hours from Hotham
^^^ Had the same thing the week before last after coming down from spoin kopje to Bogong Village. Had the car at Howmans and took a long time to get just one of us picked up. No one wanted to stop then a family of 5 pulled over and managed to fit one of us in.

If your out there thanks a million!!! And to the rest of ya.....

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
If you are thinking of coming down the Cascades ridge line to the car park I'd forget it, usually very trashed by punters coming from Shredas. As others have said the worst part of your day out of the Bo is either coming back thru the masses on chopped up crappola or opting for Cascades. Option C, DHG proper, but will also be chopped at the bottom. Hitching back should not be a problem. Enjoy

Reactions: DJM

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
Hmmm..... remember getting a lift from Guthega to the overnight car park with Tristan back in 2007 after BC-SIC..... we must have been rank..... pity the poor woman who gave us a lift.... I'm sure it was the last time she picked up any BC skiers/boarders.

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
I

hitchhike to the snow & there from where I stay to go up the hill, waiting times are on average increasing......still meet great people though!

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW

Are you saying that they were camping in the catchment too?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass