The Bare Essentials

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
IMHO, ski travel overseas for this coming winter for largely unencumbered individuals without set schedules should be fine.

For a "family holiday" or "two weeks in" things are "not normal" just yet.

Yes I am being conservative but also based on my diverse associated group "musings and experiences".

So keen for a Northern month of white fun.

Oh no. Not again. The last time I listened to @dawooduck led to a circumnavigation of the globe.

This time I'm:
  • unencumbered
  • solo
  • no set schedule (apart from having to take leave in January)
  • wanting to go skiing in the Northern Hemisphere
Looking at 'events in the news' it looks like Europe and North America may be open for travel during this period with a large question mark hanging over Japan.

Flights to Europe are starting to come up, including to Milan.

I also have bought an Epic pass which gives 7 consecutive days skiing in the dolomites.

The ducks are starting to line up for a quick draw trip to Italy (see what I did there ;) )

If I wanted to jump on a plane with the bare essentials for a 2 week trip, what do I need to take ? I'm thinking single ski bag and touring bag ? What would be a good bag to hold my boots + change of clothes as I ski around the dolomites ? Don't want to take a luggage bag if I can get away with it.

Just musing at this stage ;)

@Heinz ? @Kletterer ? @skifree ?

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Buy new superlight skimo boots there, then mail home when done.

Otherwise you could do it, you might be warm on the plane wearing you ski gear but hey you'll look like THE cool guy.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Oh no. Not again. The last time I listened to @dawooduck led to a circumnavigation of the globe.

This time I'm:
  • unencumbered
  • solo
  • no set schedule (apart from having to take leave in January)
  • wanting to go skiing in the Northern Hemisphere
Looking at 'events in the news' it looks like Europe and North America may be open for travel during this period with a large question mark hanging over Japan.

Flights to Europe are starting to come up, including to Milan.

I also have bought an Epic pass which gives 7 consecutive days skiing in the dolomites.

The ducks are starting to line up for a quick draw trip to Italy (see what I did there ;) )

If I wanted to jump on a plane with the bare essentials for a 2 week trip, what do I need to take ? I'm thinking single ski bag and touring bag ? What would be a good bag to hold my boots + change of clothes as I ski around the dolomites ? Don't want to take a luggage bag if I can get away with it.

Just musing at this stage ;)

@Heinz ? @Kletterer ? @skifree ?

+0.95 (Mk III) travelled extensively though Switzerland, Italy and to German, pretty much all by train (a few taxis) carrying one ski bag (2 pair of DPS touring skis with Dynafit bindings) and a wheeled duffle bag each. Have been a big fan of the High Sierra wheeled duffle bags and have used then exclusively for over 10 years.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Wondering if it's possible to get this down to:
- Skis/boots/poles
- Skiing clothes
- Single ski bag that can be stuffed into a backpack when empty
- Backpack that can be carried in the cabin
- Clothes to wear on the plane

Want to tour around the place booking accommodation at the last moment, carrying everything on me as I ski ?

Reactions: skifree

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
In years gone by when European business travel was an option available to me (and tacking a ski trip at the end), taking skis wasn’t really a practical option, but I always took my own gear AND boots.

I rationalised it as a great way to try out other skis while having the “comfort” of my own boots

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
This was for my 2019 Austria trip. For my 2020 Japan trip I took a smaller daypack rather than the backpack shown.
Nothing particularly special about that bag, other than it has bigger wheels better for dragging through odd terrain.
Ski bag is easily slung the over shoulder and can be stored in overhead rack on trains.
009_bags.jpg

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

Try this one.

Should fit everything but skis and poles. For skis and poles I use an unpadded bag and put ski gloves over the ends of the skis and wrap soft shell ski pants around bindings. Take a ski back pack for carry on plane but make sure everything can pack into wheeled duffel if a hike is required over cobbled street where the wheeled duffle becomes a backpack.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
European washing machines are not that scary bro. If you dont have an apartment with one you gotta utilise the sink. If you are in a Hotel they will charge a shitload for washing / ironing services - or get lucky with a spa bath and make sock and undie soup . Bottom line is take 3 days worth of clothes and no more.

Reactions: piolet

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
European washing machines are not that scary bro.

Have a ziplock with pegs and chord in travel kit, can make a washing line anywhere. Heated towel rails are best for drying though. Take clothes that are light and easy to wash and dry. Buy a cheap hair shampoo from supermarket or convenience store on arrival and it doubles as laundry detergent.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Hmmm I read the title as the Bar Essentials, so disappointed to open the thread and read about @DidSurfNowSki ski plans.

For the record I get the ski plans when we ride together.

I have high hopes that if you meet up with @Kletterer @Heinz and @skifree the Bare essentials will in fact turn into the bar essentials as you rate the best beer and food combos of European ski huts.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
As for bags, get the Northface duffle, water proof easy to carry and will fit what you need.

There is a reason Blister voted it the best outdoor product of the last 20 years.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
The merino thing is a myth, every skier & wanderer I have been with who lives & believes this smells like a wet dog whose been in the sheep dam.

I’ve been polite for so long but I give up now. You sheep folk smell just as much as the rest of us after a day or two, we’re just more tolerant & polite than you whinging mfs.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
The merino thing is a myth, every skier & wanderer I have been with who lives & believes this smells like a wet dog whose been in the sheep dam.

I’ve been polite for so long but I give up now. You sheep folk smell just as much as the rest of us after a day or two, we’re just more tolerant & polite than you whinging mfs.

Washing clothes and bathing in that south Australian stuff you call water will do that

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Hmmm I read the title as the Bar Essentials, so disappointed to open the thread and read about @DidSurfNowSki ski plans.

For the record I get the ski plans when we ride together.

I have high hopes that if you meet up with @Kletterer @Heinz and @skifree the Bare essentials will in fact turn into the bar essentials as you rate the best beer and food combos of European ski huts.

I've enjoyed the odd amber brew after a ski with Kletterer, Skifree and yourself. Was going to catch up with Heinz in NZ last winter but we got overtaken by 'events in the news' which are still ongoing.

Just playing around with some shoes at the moment :)

90562F16-B75B-4E02-BA5F-1F5EBFD673AA.jpeg

Back to looking at flights. Qatar have entered the fray.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I've enjoyed the odd amber brew after a ski with Kletterer, Skifree and yourself. Was going to catch up with Heinz in NZ last winter but we got overtaken by 'events in the news' which are still ongoing.

Just playing around with some shoes at the moment :)

90562F16-B75B-4E02-BA5F-1F5EBFD673AA.jpeg

Back to looking at flights. Qatar have entered the fray.
See @CarveMan and get one of these

0E4ABF13-31E1-4104-88A6-5B151C919A59.jpeg

Can be carried as a back pack, or a briefcase and works in the ski bag if you use your Douchebag (just adds extra padding).

Fits your system of bag on shoulders, ski bag in one hand and boot bag in another.

Edit should have mentioned their is space for a phone and passport in a side pocket.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Trying these on the next trip

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Trying these on the next trip