The Baw Baw Tree Run (History)

grozzy

Hard Yards
Aug 24, 2010
Melbourne
www.457visacompared.com.au
Hi There,

I have gone to Mt Baw Baw for the past 20 years but from memory the famous unmarked tree run has only existed for the past 5 years.

Does anyone know:
- Who found the tree run
- Is there an informal trail map of the exact tree run's route
- Has anyone been caught by ski patrol for going down it?

Clearly those that have tried it know its the best run at Baw Baw in good snow conditions!

Forty

Hard Yards
Dec 17, 2000
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
There are two informal tree runs:

1. Left of the summit run lift line as you go up, exit to the left. This is part of the catchment area for the water supply and not really meant to be skied.

2. Far side of the Maltese run. As you get off the Malt T-Bar, exit left to the top of the Maltese run. Then, go into the trees where the cross country trail starts to the far side of the run near the top. There is an informal run through the trees down to 'Ridge Run'. Its a bit hairy and needs a fair bit of snow to cover logs.

I don't think the resort or ski patrol would be keen on the catchment run through the trees off summit - they want to keep people out of there.
Off the side of Maltese is more acceptable, but if you fall over, and get injured, don;t expect too much sympathy from the resort.

A potential third short run could lie in the trees between Old Hut and Slalom - must have a closer look this Sunday.

Kahanamoku

One of Us
Sep 9, 2003
Traralgon
Visit site
There's more....
Around both sides of La Descent
Around both sides of Painted T

and if you look further east from the true summit of Baw Baw you'll find some more.

As for a Route.... there's no such thing in tree's... you got to find your own alleys!

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I can only imagine that all those runs and areas would have pretty good cover today
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

grozzy

Hard Yards
Aug 24, 2010
Melbourne
Wow, I never realised there were so many 'tree runs'!!!!

I only have know of two in the past (the one to the left of painted and the most popular one which is the off Maltese.
The Maltese one I think is the pick.

Surely someone has too much time on their hands and will document the exact runs that we are all mentioning
smile.gif

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
2. Far side of the Maltese run. As you get off the Malt T-Bar, exit left to the top of the Maltese run. Then, go into the trees where the cross country trail starts to the far side of the run near the top. There is an informal run through the trees down to 'Ridge Run'. Its a bit hairy and needs a fair bit of snow to cover logs.

That's the one I thought it was. Well some of the locals call it thus.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
I thought that the one to the left (looking down) of painted T was called Playground or are you talking about much closer to the actual T tow path?

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
absentskier said:
I can only imagine that all those runs and areas would have pretty good cover today
smile.gif

thumbsup.gif

Lots of options at the moment for tree runs, and the snow in there is as good as it gets (for Baw Baw
wink.gif
)

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
GS said:
absentskier said:
smile.gif

thumbsup.gif

Lots of options at the moment for tree runs, and the snow in there is as good as it gets (for Baw Baw
wink.gif
)

Tree skiing at Baw Baw is great fun when the snow conditions permit... which is quite rare. Last weekend I tried it for the first time...
biggrin.gif

snowgods

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
the run off maltese was gr8 today , but a bit harder to navigate as the depth in some spots made things look very different (in a good way) I think I did 20 runs after I thought I was stuffed , couldnt get enough

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
snowgods said:
the run off maltese was gr8 today , but a bit harder to navigate as the depth in some spots made things look very different (in a good way) I think I did 20 runs after I thought I was stuffed , couldnt get enough

laugh.gif

It was one of those days when you get kicked off the tows at days end.

The tree run around Old hut run was excellent also, not many had been thru and it's a little more open and steeper than off maltese. Pity it wasn't longer
biggrin.gif

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
In my wandering today I ended up on the far side of the nordic bowl (near the intersection of the summit and villiage x-country trails) and I noticed what looked like a disused tbar/ropetow/poma station. Does anyone know what the history of this structure is?

grozzy

Hard Yards
Aug 24, 2010
Melbourne
Was it the big hill platter you saw? It used to be a great little run off the the side of the big hill platter and because it was hard to find on busy days it was a must. I personally broke my leg on the run (which was black and really required a lot of snow) but still loves it. Sad to see it in its current state (like the chairlift) RIP

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
Yep, it was Big Hill, a great little run, but the lift itself was painfully slow!
One of the towers was purloined to relocate Hut Run bottom station.
I've heard there may be plans to re-instate the lift1
But, who knows!

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Yeah, I remember the Big Hill platter! Skied it a few times but it was a bit too steep for me! (Burning thighs at the finish of the run!!!) It certainly was out of the way though. The rest of BawBaw could be buzzing and Big Hill platter would be almost empty!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass