POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
For the bivvy users - I'm looking at the Outdoor Research Aurora and the Mont Hibernator.
The new Mont Hibernator looks very impressive, even at @750gms. I like it 'cause I am not hunched in it being 198cm tall.
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 9.23.07 am.png

Reactions: jonathanc

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
A mate has one and really rates it due to the space. Probably at the top of my list at the moment.
At $500 it takes a bit of a consideration, but I've always trusted Mont. The industry-leader IMHO.

Personally, I'll always supoprt local brands within within 15-20% of competition, RRP-wise.

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Amazing decades old photos.. https://www.flickr.com/photos/garratt3/albums/72157633893002332

one example

albina with hutte dennis .jpg

from further down the valley looking up. Albina Hutte.

albina with hutte dennis2 .jpg

Edit. a side by side compare.... photos are taken from different points, but both early 1970s. That lodge would have been a real boon to safe backcountry touring. Was it open to the public? or a closed shop? Anyone? @skifree

albinalodge.jpg

albina w compare  snow.jpg

albina 1972.jpg

30610_5da35aba4615a32d5b349a1a93344d75.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 12.44.33 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 12.44.48 pm.jpg

http://www.australianalpineclub.com/heritage/62-part-1-australia-s-ski-heritage.html?showall=1

AAC_P6_Albina_advert1961.jpg

Last edited:

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
After a failed effort to ski yesterday due to a flat car battery, my fault plus old battery so a nuu one was required which delayed the start time just that bit too far. So went the the movies to see Blade Runner 2049 instead. Not as good as skiing, but there was snow in the movie.:)

Got away today. Caught up with @telecrag 's crew on the other side of the foot bath (they must be clean to allow you into heaven). They went one I went the other. Got up Lee, dropped a woofy line (line was good skiing was wooffy) deep into the valley, had to dodge some huge cracks well down. Got up Northcote and dropped a clean line except for the stop to re-attach a leash. Lunch at the Kunama ruins. Got over to the South side of the Clarke spur and found a nice run into the top of the Clarke Quarry. My run of the day was thru to the North edge of the Quarry. The target line proved to have a vertical 20M start then huge cracks you could lose a caravan in. So I took a dodge the cracks and rocks line to the North side. Down to the Club Creek and a snow bridge that wasn't, climb back up round and to the snow bridge that was. The run down to Foreman's Chimney was good and a better way to go but I'd left my river crossing shoes behind :doh:and did not fancy 2 crossings of Club Creek to get them.

A couple of pics so @gareth_oau can gauge conditions.

From Lee back to the Charlotte Pass access.

DSCF8998.JPG

The Carruthers lines into Club Lake, i knew it would be busy over there and avoided it, the lines looked like a ploughed field at the end of the day.
DSCF9002.JPG

Looking to Townsend and Alice Rawson.
DSCF9006.JPG

The Clarke Quarry.
DSCF9014.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
After a failed effort to ski yesterday due to a flat car battery, my fault plus old battery so a nuu one was required which delayed the start time just that bit too far. So went the the movies to see Blade Runner 2049 instead. Not as good as skiing, but there was snow in the movie.:)

Got away today. Caught up with @telecrag 's crew on the other side of the foot bath (they must be clean to allow you into heaven). They went one I went the other. Got up Lee, dropped a woofy line (line was good skiing was wooffy) deep into the valley, had to dodge some huge cracks well down. Got up Northcote and dropped a clean line except for the stop to re-attach a leash. Lunch at the Kunama ruins. Got over to the South side of the Clarke spur and found a nice run into the top of the Clarke Quarry. My run of the day was thru to the North edge of the Quarry. The target line proved to have a vertical 20M start then huge cracks you could lose a caravan in. So I took a dodge the cracks and rocks line to the North side. Down to the Club Creek and a snow bridge that wasn't, climb back up round and to the snow bridge that was. The run down to Foreman's Chimney was good and a better way to go but I'd left my river crossing shoes behind :doh:and did not fancy 2 crossings of Club Creek to get them.

A couple of pics so @gareth_oau can gauge conditions.

From Lee back to the Charlotte Pass access.

DSCF8998.JPG

The Carruthers lines into Club Lake, i knew it would be busy over there and avoided it, the lines looked like a ploughed field at the end of the day.
DSCF9002.JPG

Looking to Townsend and Alice Rawson.
DSCF9006.JPG

The Clarke Quarry.
DSCF9014.JPG
Heaps of snow has melted since I was there on 15/10.17.It looked like almost complete cover on the Main range that day.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Heaps of snow has melted since I was there on 15/10.17.It looked like almost complete cover on the Main range that day.

thats the way the cookie crumbles! Still pretty good for this time of year, last year may have been better due to late snowfalls, but its been a while since the drifts were this deep at this time, maybe 2004.

art

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
Probably saw you guys in the distance.
Carruthers lines into Club Lake were actually pretty quiet after lunch. The narrower central ones did get a bit ploughed up in the morning and it wasnt helped by my buddy who slid a fair bit of it after an unexpected binding release.
The wider face on the right of skifrees pic only had a couple of lines down it which i very much enjoyed adding to.

Reactions: Craig B and timbat

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
One of the two on it was mine! It and Lee were the pick, but when you haven't done Elevator before, its a must do. A right of passage for newbs to the bc. I also didn't tell them about the river, and heartbreak hill. They had forgiven me before the beer was even opened at the top.

timbat

Hard Yards
Sep 15, 2003
Probably saw you guys in the distance.
Carruthers lines into Club Lake were actually pretty quiet after lunch. The narrower central ones did get a bit ploughed up in the morning and it wasnt helped by my buddy who slid a fair bit of it after an unexpected binding release.
The wider face on the right of skifrees pic only had a couple of lines down it which i very much enjoyed adding to.

How did the TTS go @art ? I must have justed missed you, we were camped at bottom of Club Lake on the grass. Good seeing you @telecrag

Reactions: telecrag

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
We're always reconciling data and observations but this year has definitely reinforced the need to be right on it once the road opens for the best easy access skiing/riding.
The walk-to-ride thing is fun on occasion but nothing beats skinning (other than a skidoo or chopper but we don't do that here).

art

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
Said hi to a few people camped there at various times of the day. Dont know how i missed you @timbat.
TTS went great. I was worried that the transition from my other set up might have taken a while but I felt comfortable with it pretty quickly. There are still a few things I need to tweak.
- Boots are still a bit tight on my forefoot so a bit more liner work to try
- The dynafit FT toes dont seem to have a spot to attach leashes without getting in the way of the mechanism but I think i have a solution in the works.
- I got a pair of fischer profoil 'skins' as i thought they have a lot going for them for our wet snow. They worked really well and I was very happy with them until the glue gave up. the glue seems very sensitive to being even a little wet, much more then other skins.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Group lesson?

Haha, I skied down the large (as far as I know unnamed?) chute, as it was almost untracked (one track) to get down and get photos. I have skied Elevator a few times, and so had a few from the group, who also were tempted to join me (it was obviously going to be the best skiing line available), but for the newbs, well, it really had to be Elevator, even though it was pretty tracked, so they went and led them in. Phil from Straightline was playing guide, and may have sold a couple of spots for the Japow tour, hehe.

It was a great crew.

jonathanc

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Haha, I skied down the large (as far as I know unnamed?) chute, as it was almost untracked (one track) to get down and get photos. I have skied Elevator a few times, and so had a few from the group, who also were tempted to join me (it was obviously going to be the best skiing line available), but for the newbs, well, it really had to be Elevator, even though it was pretty tracked, so they went and led them in. Phil from Straightline was playing guide, and may have sold a couple of spots for the Japow tour, hehe.

It was a great crew.
Was going to catch you guys out there, but there was a cloud in the forecast so I went today instead haha. Elevator was still riding nicely today!

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Was going to catch you guys out there, but there was a cloud in the forecast so I went today instead haha. Elevator was still riding nicely today!

We started off from Jindy in overcast, then bright sunny for most of the climb up, then a few dark clouds, actually got a few snowflakes while climbing Lee at the end, bit of mist etc, not perfect for the views, but the snow held up almost all day.

jonathanc

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
We started off from Jindy in overcast, then bright sunny for most of the climb up, then a few dark clouds, actually got a few snowflakes while climbing Lee at the end, bit of mist etc, not perfect for the views, but the snow held up almost all day.
Yeah the cloudy day must have been good for it - was in fantastic condition all day yesterday. Even down low was still nice after 4pm.

Reactions: Belly and telecrag

StuckinQld

One of Us
Jun 28, 2009
Hunter Valley / Newcastle ish
We were planning on heading out for a few days this weekend- booked a few days leave off work 6 weeks ago. Wind is looking feral unfortunately. Any suggestions on the pick of where to go? Looks like Club Lake is reliable as always, but just deciding if it's worth it or not.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
@StuckinQld if you can camp go Wilkinson Valley, much more terrain available & can access Northcote or Lee.

The runs into Lady Northcote's looked awesome on Monday just gone.

Reactions: StuckinQld

Wheres Walle

Addicted
Aug 28, 2016
So.... time to trade the skins for hiking boots yet? Haven't been out in about a month so not sure what's going on out of Charlottes?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass