Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Just mounted some skis for a friend who is going to do a solo winter AAWT.

She's done it twice in Summer, the second time essentially as a recce for a Winter trip, she's just done all her food drops and is planning on doing it in Aug/Sept.

She said she has started some social media accounts for it so I'll share them here when she begins posting.
What rig for the AAWT gig?

Reactions: Chaeron

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
NSW national parks have indicated a phased reopening of camping from 1st june.

But, they also say that all camping will be organised via their online booking system, which is a new things for us northerners. It sounds a little like the victorian approach. Hmm. Will it include booking for remote camping?

Reactions: SMSkier

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.

But, they also say that all camping will be organised via their online booking system, which is a new things for us northerners. It sounds a little like the victorian approach. Hmm. Will it include booking for remote camping?
Yes and will it apply to Island Bend, Thredbo Diggings and Ngarigo?
And what of staying in huts in KNP!
A brave new world?

Reactions: SMSkier

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
TBH, I wouldn't mind it applying to drive in camping options, esp with maximum length stays. Ngarigo, Thredbo diggings etc have been circuses for the past few years.

But self servingly, I'd prefer it not apply to walk / ski / bike in remote options. Half the time I never end up exactly where I thought I would anyway. Like the time I skied from guthega to whites river hut, but decided to stay at cesjacks that night, just because.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
TBH, I wouldn't mind it applying to drive in camping options, esp with maximum length stays. Ngarigo, Thredbo diggings etc have been circuses for the past few years.

But self servingly, I'd prefer it not apply to walk / ski / bike in remote options. Half the time I never end up exactly where I thought I would anyway. Like the time I skied from guthega to whites river hut, but decided to stay at cesjacks that night, just because.
I think we may have had afternoon tea with you at Mawsons that day, just because.

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Yes and will it apply to Island Bend, Thredbo Diggings and Ngarigo?
And what of staying in huts in KNP!
A brave new world?

As far as I understand @Untele-whippet it will include Island Bend, Thredbo Diggings and Ngarigo but as expected, not really practical to book a site in the back country so that won't be included. Each site will have a cap on numbers which is all related to being able to demonstrate that NPWS can comply with the current social distancing requirements. Overnight stays in huts are not likely to be permitted (unless it's an emergency) and looking like there will have to be limits on number of people in a hut at a time during the day (again to meet the 4 m2 rule). Certianly a brave new world trying to balance allowing use of these areas whilst meeting Covid rules?!

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Voile Ultra Vector BC, G3 ION, Salomon MTN Lab

Bit heavier than I would choose but she's still on her lightness progression, has done lots of pretty big stuff on Dobermanns and frames!!! :eek:

Sweet. Just ordered a pair of UltaVectors with Dynafit St 10 (Rotation) for +0.95 (Mk III).. Would have got some for myself but didn't have my size.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
As far as I understand @Untele-whippet it will include Island Bend, Thredbo Diggings and Ngarigo but as expected, not really practical to book a site in the back country so that won't be included. Each site will have a cap on numbers which is all related to being able to demonstrate that NPWS can comply with the current social distancing requirements. Overnight stays in huts are not likely to be permitted (unless it's an emergency) and looking like there will have to be limits on number of people in a hut at a time during the day (again to meet the 4 m2 rule). Certianly a brave new world trying to balance allowing use of these areas whilst meeting Covid rules?!
Thx!

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014

Where did you here this @ecowain ? I was given a press release from NSW PArks and no mention of this for Kozi so I am keen to ascertain the source? Cheers.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Just completed a home-made insulation sleeve for my Kamelbak tube - had a surplus neoprene fishing rod holder - cut to size and sewed up around the tube - will line the sewline with neoprene glue to prevent abrasion. Amazing what stubbornness and a spare hour or two can achieve.

Seeing I went big on new BC boots, skis AND bindings I’m now into tokenist savings measures....

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au

She's done it twice in Summer, the second time essentially as a recce for a Winter trip, she's just done all her food drops and is planning on doing it in Aug/Sept.

She said she has started some social media accounts for it so I'll share them here when she begins posting.
Couple questions,
Is she doing NS or SN?
Also, aren’t those skis pattern based? You selling pattern based skis?
I’ve often thought that winter traverse of AWT would be best achieved on patterns. Skins, especially when wet would be cumbersome.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Couple questions,
Is she doing NS or SN?
Also, aren’t those skis pattern based? You selling pattern based skis?
I’ve often thought that winter traverse of AWT would be best achieved on patterns. Skins, especially when wet would be cumbersome.
S/N, yes they are pattern, no we don’t sell the skis but I sold her bindings. Yes I think they would be perfect. I’d go for a lighter boot and binding than her but she hasn’t had the ‘en-light-enment’ yet.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
S/N, yes they are pattern, no we don’t sell the skis but I sold her bindings. Yes I think they would be perfect. I’d go for a lighter boot and binding than her but she hasn’t had the ‘en-light-enment’ yet.
Should have thrown in one of your nuu Tshirts as s hint.;)

satanas

Addicted
May 26, 2005
I hope she's got a good plan for carrying the skis and boots between say Cascade Hut and ~Hotham, plus further south. I can see skiing between somewhere north of Kiandra and Cascade (given good snow), then in the higher parts of Victoria, but that still leaves lots of unskiable terrain, some quite overgrown unless there's been a lot of clearing. The area around Black River (very well named IME!) would be especially dire. I wouldn't want to walk more than a few metres in any AT boots either, given the rigid soles...

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Just a comment regarding the camp sites. Common sense says you will not exceed the density rules in those areas. Confident the old park up sleep and leave people cannot be accounted for unless there are night time checks. We never even get out of the vehicle.
Yep, but common sense does not always convince the relevant authorities that the necessary control measures have been put in place to allow the opening up of things.

Reactions: Snow Blowey

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

fingers crossed for her that it’s a season like the Oates brothers had

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Pete from K7 sent me this photo a while back. Lovely colours.
Pete Cocker.jpg

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Yep, but common sense does not always convince the relevant authorities that the necessary control measures have been put in place to allow the opening up of things.
I get it. We even have seasoned snow sports fanatics in here asking about facilities at these places. Pollies and bearuecrats would have no comprehension these are just places to park your car - said in the best Tony Grieg voice.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Just a comment regarding the camp sites. Common sense says you will not exceed the density rules in those areas. Confident the old park up sleep and leave people cannot be accounted for unless there are night time checks. We never even get out of the vehicle.
Shhhh. Like seriously, let me know when you’ve deleted!

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008

I can understand it for the big, easily accessible campgrounds. Where it absolutely shits me is in remote areas or campgrounds that require proper 4WD access and aren't that busy. In Queensland every campground on the Cape York penninsula is online, pre-booked only, and it means you need to stick rigidly to a schedule. You can't arrive at a place and decide you like it and want to stay an extra day, or hate it and want to leave early. You also have to blindly pick a site number basically at random, with no real knowledge of what the site looks like.

The worst part of the whole system though is (in Victoria at least) you can't change your booking once it's been made. We wanted to add an extra vehicle to our booking at Christmas last year, and to do that the Parks operator had to cancel the booking and recreate it. And while she was doing that, it was publicly listed as available again, so someone else could have poached it.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
A Telemark Journal
Posted by Bob Mazarei on FB

In the spirit of the literary tradition linked to the mountains and mountaineering, we introduce Telemark Journal.

Our primary mission with Telemark Journal is to take you, the telemark-loving reader, to wonderful corners of our earth - with the Journal also acting as a springboard resource to help inspire and plan your own ski adventures.

Telemark Journal aspires to be an International Anthology describing places and mountains of the world through the voices of international writers who are passionate about mountaineering with telemark skis. For the most part, stories will appear in the original language, meaning mostly English, with some in the authors original language.

The history of telemark will be covered alongside ski trips and expeditions from around the world.

Telemark Journal is self-financed and is non-profit. Our goal is to cover print costs and to carry a bit over onto the costs of the next volume. Telemark Journal is committing to publish biannually, and for this to succeed, we are looking for contributors, stirring stories, and photos, of your telemark experiences from around the world.

—Issue 01:
—Pre-Orders are starting now for a beginning of July delivery.
—Cost is 15 Euros, shipping included.
To order, please send an email to: journal@thewhiteplanet.it
(We will update ordering methods asap).
An eBook will also be available at some point.

Please help spread the news of Telemark Journal amongst your community. Being reader-supported and reader-inspired is the goal.
The long literary tradition linked to the mountains and mountaineering is what inspires us…

We wish to achieve this from a different angle - from the perspective of one of the most outstanding things one can do in the mountains: Telemark.

Thank you!

Please send your articles, paintings, and photos to Luca Gasparini here: journal@thewhiteplanet.it

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Come on huey, bring the snow, new rig for this season was delivered today. Thanks to the crew at skimo for all their help

Super excited about the waybacks, can't believe the lightness vs 'resort ski feel' ratio. Sacrificed a bit of weight over last seasons setup, but with better fitting boots and performing skis, i cant wait to shred

lets just hope my knee holds up, lingering injury, hoping it is the popliteus muscle and not a miniscus tear, awaiting MRI results

K2 Wayback
Dynafit TLT8 Expedition
Dynafit superlite 2.0
Dynafit cramp-in crampons
Dynafit ski crampons
BD traverse poles with whippet attachment
K2 skins

20200525_212527.jpg

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Nice little 2017 technical discussion of AT tech binding design:

Interactions of Tech Bindings with AT Boot Toe Inserts: Part I, Binding Toe-Piece Mechanics

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-52755-0_6

“The constraint forces from the tech binding on AT boots are highly sensitive to variations in tech insert geometry.”

The compressive forces applied to the AT boots were significantly different between bindings for the same boot, but not significantly different for the AT boots in any particular binding (p< 0.001). Across all AT boots tested, the twisting release torque was not significantly different between bindings for a given boot (p = 0.81); however, significant differences in release torque were found between boots in any particular binding (two-way ANOVA, Tukeys Post Hoc, p < 0.001). Boot dimensions at the toe had the largest influence on release torque (~85%) while the compressive force had the smallest influence (~15%).

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
What's the condition of the NSW MR at the moment?

Or more specifically - if I headed up on Monday to have a play with my split and skins, where would I need to go to find some of the white stuff?
Patchy, icy - look at Guthega snowcam. Weather Monday - windy, snowy, road to CP likely to be dicey. Best option - front valley Perisher.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Will BC travel in KNP be only with a guide company this season?, to curb the perceived increase in newbie rescues and control numbers.

art

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
Nope, BC will be permitted. But likely that the Trip Intention Form will be mandated to keep an eye on numbers and ease the mind of emergency services about "newbie rescues".

Is this an online form (got a link?) that can be filled out and submited socially distanced or an in person visit to a parks office during business hours.?

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
i reckon i need some new duds, the old ones arent very waterproof anymore. I like the bib n brace style. I like a zip off butt. shell only. Pockets would be nice, as would instep protection, zip for boots too. Anyone got any tips? cheers

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
i reckon i need some new duds, the old ones arent very waterproof anymore. I like the bib n brace style. I like a zip off butt. shell only. Pockets would be nice, as would instep protection, zip for boots too. Anyone got any tips? cheers
Arcteryx Rush LT GTX - exxy, but can be got at a discount. Not everyone’s cuppa.

jonathanc

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Mont Supersonic. Also expensive, but if you wait until I make a major purchase there the whole store will be 50% off the next day.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass