Chookfooter

One of Us
May 11, 2020
A mate of mine was playing with a bloke who lost it, picked up his bag and threw it in the lake and walked off. Came back after 5 minutes and waded in to retrieve the clubs, searched around till he he found his car keys, threw the bag back in the lake and was gone again..must have had a bad round.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Have you watched Rick and Morty? The family in the show gets a genie "Mr Meseeks" that can help them with a wish (but only with practical advice or physical help, no finger-snap reality warping).

The daughter wishes "I want to be the most popular girl in school!" The mum asks "Help me feel like a complete woman!". The dad says "Ha, those are wild, fantastic requests. *I* have a simpler realistic wish. I just want to take two strokes off my golf game."

The girls' wishes are easily granted, and his wish ends up driving the genie insane.

Reactions: Sage Oya

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
B5B272E2-BF15-4739-95C9-FEFF2A279E23.jpeg
B24EF5FA-1E01-4AC6-993B-514E6910DDC0.jpeg

Lunchtime Thor Head tootle.
The first sunny day in forever.
So much water everywhere.

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
A3DDC8E8-0954-4706-B811-F9796D213CF9.jpeg
After toying with the idea of going to Kosy on a fine day decided to avoid the likely full on ice and journeyed over the Porcupine Trail via Johnnies Plain to CP for coffee. Skinnies again. There were some very icy bits but the poled trail is pretty mellow. If you could find the little depressions and wind protected west faces with that last bit of fresh it was quite skiable. Came back on and near the road which skied fine. Good shallow cover of snow everywhere.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
A3DDC8E8-0954-4706-B811-F9796D213CF9.jpeg
After toying with the idea of going to Kosy on a fine day decided to avoid the likely full on ice and journeyed over the Porcupine Trail via Johnnies Plain to CP for coffee. Skinnies again. There were some very icy bits but the poled trail is pretty mellow. If you could find the little depressions and wind protected west faces with that last bit of fresh it was quite skiable. Came back on and near the road which skied fine. Good shallow cover of snow everywhere.
How dare you !! ;-P

Reactions: bluestick and Belly

art

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
A mate and I had been planning to make the most of the forecast huge snow fall and head out for a ski today. Sadly we called it off on Sunday when it became clear that it would be a solid block of ice on the main range
Thanks to @WeeMan who posted a pic of the cover on Stockyard Spur we changed changed plans and headed for a ski today.
Was a brilliant blue bird, no wind, not too hot not too cold day. (Even better it looked like Canberra was having a foggy day).
Probably the busiest day ever up there but really only a few people about.
Skis on from not far past the helipad and the cover was good once a bit more altitude was gained closer to the Franklin road. The fires have made a mess up there but the upside is Gingera is very skiable with not much snow as all the shrubs are gone.
We took advantage of the snow cover and missing shrubs and skied a few areas that normally would not be passable without a massive snow base. I'm hoping we get a bit more snow as the fires have opened up some good touring options.
20200811_113206.jpg

Hope some others have been out enjoying some brindies snow.
20200811_113206.jpg 20200811_162205.jpg 20200811_133847.jpg 20200811_130455.jpg 20200811_130346.jpg

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
Funny thing.... I took the tongue out of my Atomic Backland Carbon when skinning a few weeks ago (and did a gentle downhill sans tongue as well). Kick and glide wearing Ugg boots..... nice and comfy :thumbs: Will be doing that more often.

Did you find you get a longer stride by removing the tongues? I initially removed mine, but I had to put them back in as I found my feet super cold without them. This was in deep winter powder in northern hemisphere, so not really going to be a problem here. But I found I couldn't get as big a touring stride in.

Attachments

• iPhone 2020-02-25 -10909.jpg
    iPhone 2020-02-25 -10909.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 0

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@Endless_Winter probably wasn't a good enough trial as was skiing on a very icy and badly rutted Kosci road, so a lot of concentration on staying skis downwards. Will be back again at CP in a few weeks time and will try them again. I can see how keeping the boot tongue in help with stabilising the leg as you kick forward and possibly then it is more beneficial keeping the boot tongue in. However, on a long slog up hill where you are just putting one foot in front of the other, I think boot tongue out will be the way to go.

BTW, the reason for trying them out is we had just stopped to put blister block Bandaids on, so while sitting there bootless and daypack open thought I would give it a run.

Last edited:

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Back when I had Backland Carbons I’d take the tongue out for long skins but would bother for short ones. Definitely made a difference.

I’ve fondled the new ones, they look great but can’t see a situation in the immediate future where I might need them, but I wouldn’t hesitate if I had some big multi-day stuff on the cards. No removable tongue and Boa tightening over the instep.

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@CarveMan is there one boot to do it all? Technica Zero G? Atomic got so many things right with the original Backland. Only thing stopping me using this as a one boot for everything is I would need to lay my hands on a stiffer pair of tongues and the boot sole isn't compatible with Salomon / Atomic Shift due to sole rocker.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
@CarveMan is there one boot to do it all? Atomic got so many things right with the original Backland. Only thing stopping me using this as a one boot for everything is I would need to lay my hands on a stiffer pair of tongues and the boot sole isn't compatible with Salomon / Atomic Shift due to sole rocker.
Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro is as close as I've seen IMO.

Also the heel of the Backland is why it can't go in a Shift / Kingpin etc - the ledge is only there for fitting crampons, it's a pure tech binding boot, though at that weight I have no idea why you would want to ski it with an 800g binding. It's more a 2-300g binding sorta boot.

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

Also the heel of the Backland is why it can't go in a Shift / Kingpin etc - the ledge is only there for fitting crampons, it's a pure tech binding boot, though at that weight I have no idea why you would want to ski it with an 800g binding. It's more a 2-300g binding sorta boot.

lel.... a quick look at Lou Dawson and Technica Zero G come out...... hence my edit to post. Is that what @dawooduck ended up with?

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

My Charlotte Pass quiver seems to be coming down to the Voile Ultravector for over Kangaroo Ridge and far away days and the Black Crow Daemon for inbound days (Stormriders are now rockhoppers). The Black Crows have shift bindings on them so I'm lugging the Technica Cochise with me (Lange Comp 100 went out at last council cleanup).

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
RIP to the kayaker who died yesterday in the Murrumbidgee in the south of Canberra. Not sure yet who it was, but was in an experienced group.
Details made publicly available via the Kayak Canberra FB group:

On Sunday 09 Aug 2020 there was a tragic accident on the Murrumbidgee River. A highly experienced and capable kayaker became submerged on a man made structure and was fatally entrapped. There was a large group of experienced and qualified paddlers, river rescue experts and public who rendered immediate support and tirelessly established mechanical systems to effect a rescue. Unfortunately the paddler was unable to be rescued and his body was recovered many hours later at the site by expert fire and rescue personnel after water levels had abated. Many people were present at the rescue site and it is acknowledged that they will be deeply impacted. Our thoughts go to the paddlers family who are mourning the loss of a dedicated and loving husband, father and son. It is asked at this time that people respect the privacy of the family and those who were present during the tragic accident. Further information on funeral arrangements and arrangements for condolences will be released by the family separately. Vale Toby Carr

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
lel.... a quick look at Lou Dawson and Technica Zero G come out...... hence my edit to post. Is that what @dawooduck ended up with?

@Fozzie Bear @CarveMan

My Zero G Guide Pro have started to come apart where the different plastics meet at the lower cuff buckle. I am a bit pissed by this as I quite like the boot and it was a considered choice and a big buy.

It would appear that this boot is no longer available so it is slated to be replaced by the latest Cochise 130.

The dilemma for me now is do I take this replacement offered or hold out for a Zero G Tour Pro.

If I take the Cochise I am back to a heavier uphill boot but a stronger downhill boot.

What is RR price comparison between the Cochise 130 and the Zero G Tour Pro ?

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Details made publicly available via the Kayak Canberra FB group:

On Sunday 09 Aug 2020 there was a tragic accident on the Murrumbidgee River. A highly experienced and capable kayaker became submerged on a man made structure and was fatally entrapped. There was a large group of experienced and qualified paddlers, river rescue experts and public who rendered immediate support and tirelessly established mechanical systems to effect a rescue. Unfortunately the paddler was unable to be rescued and his body was recovered many hours later at the site by expert fire and rescue personnel after water levels had abated. Many people were present at the rescue site and it is acknowledged that they will be deeply impacted. Our thoughts go to the paddlers family who are mourning the loss of a dedicated and loving husband, father and son. It is asked at this time that people respect the privacy of the family and those who were present during the tragic accident. Further information on funeral arrangements and arrangements for condolences will be released by the family separately. Vale Toby Carr

News footage showed a low level bridge about water level. Assume he got stuck under the bridge. Yuck.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
If I take the Cochise I am back to a heavier uphill boot but a stronger downhill boot.

What is RR price comparison between the Cochise 130 and the Zero G Tour Pro ?
That’s a bit of a dilemma. The Cochise 130 is a full alpine boot with a weight and range of motion to match. It skis great but isn’t much fun to walk with. ZGTP is a dedicated touring boot and can’t click in to many alpine bindings. It’s a superb boot but may not suit your use case.

RRP on the Cochise is $1099, ZGTP I think is $1499.

Reactions: dawooduck

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
That’s a bit of a dilemma. The Cochise 130 is a full alpine boot with a weight and range of motion to match. It skis great but isn’t much fun to walk with. ZGTP is a dedicated touring boot and can’t click in to many alpine bindings. It’s a superb boot but may not suit your use case.

RRP on the Cochise is $1099, ZGTP I think is $1499.
The Cochise 130 DYN is a lovely boot - have skied it 3 days inbounds - pushing it hard, and briefly out of bounds - great on the down, not light, but friendly on the up - not enough BC mileage to assess it for a longish tour.

Only one problem with this boot - I lent it to my son and he refuses to give it back, which led me to think I have an excuse to upgrade to the ZGTP.

Aussieskier’s bootfitter also made magic with the 130 DYN.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass