nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I’m supposed to be going to Tassie in 2 weeks. Originally booked for March last year .... postponed. Rebooked for October last year, restrictions still in place so rebooked. Now keeping my fingers crossed I can actually go;)

We were meant to be flying to Hobart for a week long getaway on Tuesday morning, enticed by Jetstar's return for free deal which meant it was $270 for 4 of us return.

Given the Melbourne lockdown, that's not happening. Fortunately the car hire and parking at Melb airport have both been cancelled at no cost and the "non-refundable" accommodation has given us a full refund. The worst of the lot is Jetstar, where we are getting a credit voucher for use within 12 months only. :(

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
he worst of the lot is Jetstar, where we are getting a credit voucher

I has to chase mine pretty hard last year to get my voucher. Hopefully they have their system (which was the excuse month after month) better organised now.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Mild today. March flies absent.

BD71228E-7C88-4FF1-B16B-0742F20C5148.jpeg
23387882-761C-4647-A345-557D8BF7A7C4.jpeg
5DFB63D3-FB2C-4949-BA67-78E7C6B97CBD.jpeg

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I'm off to walk the razorback to feathertop and back on Sat.
Whats the chance of their being drinkable water in the tank @ Fed hut?
i wont be depending on it, just asking out of interest really.
Steve is right. Lots of rain lately. I think the spring on the track down to MUMC hut off Feathertop would be a better option if you needed water. As a day trip it is a pretty easy walk so also doubt you would need to refill.

Fancy_Pants

Addicted
Jan 29, 2010
Steve is right. Lots of rain lately. I think the spring on the track down to MUMC hut off Feathertop would be a better option if you needed water. As a day trip it is a pretty easy walk so also doubt you would need to refill.

I was at fed hut yesterday. Five ks or so as the crow flies from my place. I can vouch for the rain, plenty until this week and no usage with lockdown, but didnt check the tank levels. You also have the spring 1km down the bungalow spur track near the ruins which, by the sound of flowing water, seemed healthy.

Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
To put

To put on the bike. Sorry for confusion.
I have been using Axiom waterproof panniers in my rental fleet here in Japan, with narrow gauge light weight road bike racks. A very good sturdy light weight system. I've had no problems from customers. You'd need a bigger rack if your talking hard tail MTB. They are available in Australia.

Reactions: ecowain and Chaeron

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
I am guessing but they have reasonable rain lately..so it should be ok!
But better trip is Hotham Airport down across Cobungra and over to Macnamarras Hut and back in the day.....eating play lunch with view of airport at the Team Bears installation.Will be hot climbing back from Cobungra to Airport.....so come home mid arvo ascending in cooler pre dusk hours,Better still ....sleep over on picnic table and come home early hours in morning!
441EDF63-6EC2-4E2D-A5CA-178237B6D617.jpeg
75787F53-F1A4-41C8-B178-98541B82E262.jpeg
7206160D-C7C8-4543-9307-BA8C99A68D8C.jpeg

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
But better trip is Hotham Airport down across Cobungra and over to Macnamarras Hut and back in the day.....eating play lunch with view of airport at the Team Bears installation.Will be hot climbing back from Cobungra to Airport.....so come home mid arvo ascending in cooler pre dusk hours,
441EDF63-6EC2-4E2D-A5CA-178237B6D617.jpeg
75787F53-F1A4-41C8-B178-98541B82E262.jpeg
7206160D-C7C8-4543-9307-BA8C99A68D8C.jpeg
Nice route...

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
What are good current offerings to look for in bikepacking bags? Any decent ultralight offering?

@climberman @telecrag ?

I really rate apidura stuff. Lightweight, lots of options to suit various bike sizes and geometry. The expedition stuff is expensive but great, completely waterproof, tough material. Cheapest option is order direct from their site in UK.

Ortlieb looks pretty good, but less options. Not used their bikepacking stuff, but their panniers have been great, and the ultimate handlebar bag is my favourite piece of kit.

Bikebag dude is local, and custom made, nice stuff, good colour options etc. Quite expensive, takes a while to get done. I would classify it as water resistant more than waterproof

The bikepacking stuff is so expensive, but it is quite technical to make and design.

My one piece of advice is don't go cheap on a saddle pack. They are really quite complicated, and the fastening systems, reinforcements and general design features are crucial to stop sway

sidetrack

One of Us
Apr 20, 2005
Sunbury
I used the Ortlieb seat bag on recent trip and couldn’t fault quality size etc, it’s big though which allowed me to just use it a front roll bag. I travelled extremely light though no stove, lightweight bag, small tent as speed was a big part. 3 days, 300kms, 7000vm, 24 hours moving. I was so shattered it took me another 3 days to recover.

Attachments

• BBCC6058-C798-4674-B32E-D0C844A884EC.jpeg
    BBCC6058-C798-4674-B32E-D0C844A884EC.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 8

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I used the Ortlieb seat bag on recent trip and couldn’t fault quality size etc, it’s big though which allowed me to just use it a front roll bag. I travelled extremely light though no stove, lightweight bag, small tent as speed was a big part. 3 days, 300kms, 7000vm, 24 hours moving. I was so shattered it took me another 3 days to recover.
I have something similar lined up. Somewhat nervous. A bit less vert though (6,000 or the same depending on ridewithgps vs Gaia). Speed not a challenge, other than maintaining it and making the Delegate pub for dinner on the first night!

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
WAPO: US avalanche fatalities grow...

Devastating avalanche season in the West has already caused average yearly deaths
Twenty-seven fatalities have occurred, five since Valentine’s Day

Five people have died in avalanches in the Rocky Mountains since Valentine’s Day, adding to a mounting toll amid an especially perilous season. Three deaths occurred in Colorado, with fatalities also reported in Montana and Wyoming.

The western United States is only halfway through its snowy season but has already matched the annual average for national avalanche fatalities. According to Avalanche.org, deadly slides have occurred across eight states this year, killing 27 people. Twenty-one of those deaths have occurred just since Jan. 30.”

Unusually heavy snows, and increased numbers of skiers out in the mountains combine for a fatal outcome. That’s the takeaway,

However, I’m also wondering, has risk-taking increased, or are there maybe also more inexperienced skiers inadvertently putting themselves in harm’s way.

Or are people just doing what they have done before, but this time unwittingly exposed to greater risks than in previous seasons?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
WAPO: US avalanche fatalities grow...

Devastating avalanche season in the West has already caused average yearly deaths
Twenty-seven fatalities have occurred, five since Valentine’s Day

Five people have died in avalanches in the Rocky Mountains since Valentine’s Day, adding to a mounting toll amid an especially perilous season. Three deaths occurred in Colorado, with fatalities also reported in Montana and Wyoming.

The western United States is only halfway through its snowy season but has already matched the annual average for national avalanche fatalities. According to Avalanche.org, deadly slides have occurred across eight states this year, killing 27 people. Twenty-one of those deaths have occurred just since Jan. 30.”

Unusually heavy snows, and increased numbers of skiers out in the mountains combine for a fatal outcome. That’s the takeaway,

However, I’m also wondering, has risk-taking increased, or are there maybe also more inexperienced skiers inadvertently putting themselves in harm’s way.

Or are people just doing what they have done before, but this time unwittingly exposed to greater risks than in previous seasons?

Jeremy Jones had a great discussion of this with Jon Krakauer on his Instagram recently, where they mentioned that in a lot of these incidents that they were aware of, it was otherwise experienced people getting caught out, not first timer frothers.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Took the 4WD up Bogong Creek FT to the South Ridge of Mount Morgan ( 1470 elev. ) Distance to the Peak was circa 2.6 km. First km had much thick understory and fallen timber to . Not too bad for the rest of the way. No signs of fire . Has not burnt for a long time. Took us 2 hours 15 minutes to get to the top. Spied some good looking ski runs potential on the Eastern side.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass