Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
42F63A10-C29A-4FC5-B03C-1A70DBFBF750.jpeg

That is worse than beige bro, if that is possible!
Total scroggin conversion.
A slippery slope to snowshoeing and billy tea.
PS: your left hand is in imminent danger.
I have a Brown Tweed Waistcoat for special ocassions . Lapel pins optional

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Bloke about to drop in….

(OK Off Topic I know, but too beautiful not to share somewhere - NASA astronaut Bruce McCandles circa 1984)

85AA41FA-5739-4629-949F-CE54A2F86586.jpeg

Pity it’s a fake image too….

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Did all 44 who claim to have climbed the 14 8,000’s do so?

Based on an article of (Goulburn-region NSW) Damian Gildea’s. I do like how Damo says ‘climbing is a basically useless activity for those with the time and money’ LOL

I think t-w may have noted the original article somewhere here :)

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Did all 44 who claim to have climbed the 14 8,000’s do so?

Based on an article of (Goulburn-region NSW) Damian Gildea’s. I do like how Damo says ‘climbing is a basically useless activity for those with the time and money’ LOL

I think t-w may have noted the original article somewhere here :)
Good comments from Brigette . Filling the Obsession basket can be a strange realm.

Reactions: climberman

AT&TeleMike

One of Us
Jun 15, 2017
Good comments from Brigette . Filling the Obsession basket can be a strange realm.
Hmmm. Almost no mention of performance enhancing drugs being used. I have no problem with the use of drugs or oxygen as long as the climber is transparent about these aids. This is almost as bad as climbers saying they soloed a mountain but in reality they pulled up on fixed ropes that someone placed beforehand.

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
Interesting winds with our first storm of this season. It could mean “go to” early season SE aspects will not be firing initially. I think to find rideable snow you are going to have to go high and north facing. In Victoria, Based solely on this forecast I would head for places I would normally go to in late winter or early Spring with strong sun e.g. N face of feathertop, the gully on Bogong between eskdale and staircase spur or the gully system below the cross on the great alpine road.

brainstrust thoughts?

E03A36ED-790B-4D77-A9C9-BE97DC0AD8D9.jpeg

Team Weasel

One of Us
Sep 19, 2015
I like the thinking...but even then with those kinds of wind speeds you'll get a lot of snow blown down low rather than consolidating. I usually reckon we need one storm to build the base, then one to make most terrain skiable.

I'll go up if I can, but it'll be on rock skis.

Reactions: Chaeron

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Interesting winds with our first storm of this season. It could mean “go to” early season SE aspects will not be firing initially. I think to find rideable snow you are going to have to go high and north facing. In Victoria, Based solely on this forecast I would head for places I would normally go to in late winter or early Spring with strong sun e.g. N face of feathertop, the gully on Bogong between eskdale and staircase spur or the gully system below the cross on the great alpine road.

brainstrust thoughts?

E03A36ED-790B-4D77-A9C9-BE97DC0AD8D9.jpeg
My thoughts are everything will be dangerous everywhere.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Between all the locking down, recreating & fondling up of holiday homes, not sure where ewes Eastern bastards find any time to actually collect GST for the government.

Just leave it to us in the West to do the collecting & carry the chip for everyone....

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Between all the locking down, recreating & fondling up of holiday homes, not sure where ewes Eastern bastards find any time to actually collect GST for the government.

Just leave it to us in the West to do the collecting & carry the chip for everyone....
Your in WA. Accept your bad life choice, you'll be happier when you let go of the bitterness.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

Wow, has GST been introduced in the West? I thought you lot were still on a barter system

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan

May as well ski Japan from there.

Greybeard

Addicted
Jun 10, 2008
Does anyone know if the section of road from Kiandra to 3mile dam is closing for winter? (I know it usually isn't)

mholling

One of Us
Aug 3, 2006
ACT
It was on the 'Local Alerts' page for KNP the other week. Text is currently a bit different but it is being kept open due to Elliot Way being closed. That sign is new for this year I think.

Reactions: ecowain

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Now it says closed from 4pm yesterday then assessed through the winter. I dare say it will depend on the season and availability of clearing machinery. Elliott Way is supposed to open in 8 weeks apparently.

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Any discussion of the Cabramurra-Khancoban road this winter?
IMG_20210606_110636.jpg
Aim is to try to keep Cabra to Khancoban Road open if possible while Elliot Way works are still underway (bit rough to have both closed at same time and unfortuently works on Elliot Way taking longer than planned/hoped). This coming strom changed thngs a bit so C to K Road closed for now to see what it delivers, but all going well may be able to open it up again.

Reactions: mholling

mholling

One of Us
Aug 3, 2006
ACT
Thanks. Can't remember exactly, but I think there were contortions in the text I read to stop people from actually accessing the park from the road while it was open. I've always though Round Mountain to Munyang would be pretty much the perfect ski trip for nordic.

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Thanks. Can't remember exactly, but I think there were contortions in the text I read to stop people from actually accessing the park from the road while it was open. I've always though Round Mountain to Munyang would be pretty much the perfect ski trip for nordic.
Yep, "open for through traffic" I think was the wording used. Issue is if people park their car for extended periods and a large weather event shuts the road whilst they are out and about, and then road can't be opened again for the season, it gets messy.

Reactions: skifree

Greybeard

Addicted
Jun 10, 2008
Mmmm, at least it may be possible to have a friend drop you off (at Round Mountain) but not park the car.

Also, will the road to Selwyn get any attention? (I assume not)

Reactions: ecowain

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Mmmm, at least it may be possible to have a friend drop you off (at Round Mountain) but not park the car.

Also, will the road to Selwyn get any attention? (I assume not)
Yep - that's certainly possible (if/when road opens again).

Kings Cross Road has a closed gate at the entry camera just before Selwyn. This closure is to allow Sewlyn to continue the rebuild without having to manage traffic around the construction compound in the car park. Snow clearing will still occur on Kings Cross Road up to the gate (Sewlyn will clear beyond there) but given lower traffic numbers the Link Road clearing to Cabra will get priority.

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
A little tootle from DHG out towards Teddy’s with +1, testing her new boots.
Great cover for early June but no consolidated base and wet. We turned around when the fog descended.
7F915580-F54C-4171-8C21-11F26FADB1F9.jpeg
9B0C3B47-63B2-49C1-8BC1-61F218DAE225.jpeg
259EBF08-A3CC-4D04-8354-790B82ED65CB.jpeg

The carpark was going batshit with snowplay people when we returned, it was scary overcrowded chaos.
#punchingaboveyourweight

sidetrack

One of Us
Apr 20, 2005
Sunbury
I read this the other day, Cam posted it on FB and was really happy to finally read a story that didn’t just mention that avalanches were the only thing you had to worry about in the OZ BC. Don’t get me wrong I think the awareness and education about avalanches that these guys are doing is great but previously everything I’ve read has omitted ice, exposer etc which as mentioned in this article is 95% of the issues that arise. The more people that do their courses the better but they need to understand that there are more important things to learn. It is very easy to avoid avalanche danger is OZ and still go skiing but its a lot harder to avoid ice.

art

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
Went up Tate today. Sloppy down low, very solid up high. Solid was good in a way as it kept you from breaking through to the bushes.
After Tate looped around to find a crossing of Pounds Creek near Mt Anton and then back to Guthega via Illawong.

Nice to get out early in the season. Snow wasn't great but not unexpected.

Saw very few people, a contrast from all the chatter in the resort threads. We almost didn't go because of the talk about traffic jams and closed roads. Thankfully it had zero impact on our day.

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
No Witzes, Hainsworth or Circuitts on that list, and 2 rows for Schofields. Unacceptable! ;)

Those 2 books in the yellow above by David Lindley are going to be very interesting. I was speaking to him the other week and he has put a significant amount of work in to them. I dont think anyone has really properly written about that area. Goobraganda/Bogong Peaks.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
No Witzes, Hainsworth or Circuitts on that list, and 2 rows for Schofields. Unacceptable! ;)

Those 2 books in the yellow above by David Lindley are going to be very interesting. I was speaking to him the other week and he has put a significant amount of work in to them. I dont think anyone has really properly written about that area. Goobraganda/Bogong Peaks.
I couldnt fit Witzes in at the bottom with snipping tool but as you know its in good nick. That book sounds awesome.

Reactions: zapruda
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass