Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Dirty on top so a morning skin up to Spencer's. Dust on sticky, dimpled crust didn't make for good skinning but nicer higher up where the smoother crust was covered by couple cents. Photo shows best bit, eastern slope 1650m.

IMG_20210617_100519.jpg

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
I’ve been somewhat involved in an effort by NPA ACT and NPA NSW to get these track rehabed and cleared of weeds after they were cleared during the fires. You can’t blame the volunteers who were told to clear these tracks in the heat of the moment but work needs to be done now to fix the damage. All the this detritus is pushed up against the sides of the tracks and weeds are coming through all over the place.

There is a long list of tracks that were completely hammered by clearing during fires throughout KNP. Lone pine, Davies track, Pockets Saddle etc.

Farm ridge was a nice track by double track standards. Shame what’s happened to it.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
I’ve been somewhat involved in an effort by NPA ACT and NPA NSW to get these track rehabed and cleared of weeds after they were cleared during the fires. You can’t blame the volunteers who were told to clear these tracks in the heat of the moment but work needs to be done now to fix the damage. All the this detritus is pushed up against the sides of the tracks and weeds are coming through all over the place.

There is a long list of tracks that were completely hammered by clearing during fires throughout KNP. Lone pine, Davies track, Pockets Saddle etc.

Farm ridge was a nice track by double track standards. Shame what’s happened to it.
Its a pity that they didnt do Strumbo.

legend

One of Us
Aug 22, 2004
lakes entrance
Fire breaks almost never slow/stop a fire. They only ever work when there is no wind and the fire is hardly moving. Breaks need to be several hundred metres wide (don't tell anyone in power this) to stop sparks from jumping across.
As far as gaining access to fire vehicles, the basic track was there with very little in the way to impede progress.

Reactions: skifree

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Fire breaks almost never slow/stop a fire. They only ever work when there is no wind and the fire is hardly moving. Breaks need to be several hundred metres wide (don't tell anyone in power this) to stop sparks from jumping across.
As far as gaining access to fire vehicles, the basic track was there with very little in the way to impede progress.
Done much firefighting then?

Reactions: KylePee

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

When sparks are leaping kms tree-tree in a true ‘firestorm’ (like much of 2020’ Vic 2009’...) it’s hard to believe a 30m firebreak does much.

I’m no fire-fighter but it’s logical that modest firebreaks would slow a slowly-moving fire that’s mostly burning at ground-level.

As bush-going city-slicker: I think breaks are a bit over-hyped - we expect too much!

But when faced with Armageddon situation it’s natural to try ‘something’ than give up?

I do think we Aussies underspend on aerial tankers - maybe that’s an area to work on.

Many of us would probably be happy to forgo one of the future income tax cuts if the resulting ‘saving’ was spent on areas such as fire-fighting, health, aged and mental care, and public schools.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I've seen fire jump the Warragamba Dam in adverse conditions. I've also seen property defended with fire on one side of the fire break and us on the other side. All depends on the conditions and the community defending.

Reactions: skifree and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Aerial tankers don't put out fires, they slow them down, not unlike fire breaks. They are both good tools for firefighting. Rain and fire-fighters put out fires.
If I was fighting to save my house I’d want the works! That’s why one should always get on well with their local CFA/RFS brigade and captain! Keep a slab in the beer fridge - in the fire season- JIC? ;):thumbs:

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Let's just say that there are many uses for a fire trail or fire break. Sometimes it will be to stop the fire at that point, sometimes it may be for another tactic. It's absolutely missing the point to suggest they are always put there to stop the fire at that point, or to suggest that they are pointless.
I CBF trying to explain further than that

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I have seen bushfire fighting from many angles, including the air. NSW does it very different to Victoria. Much more hands on on the fire line in NSW. During the last fire in Vic I was on the fire line for a bit. The CFA stood around with their hands in the pockets and well away from the fire. When questioned the response was 'Can't go up there. There's a fire'. Next time a parkie spoke to them and the response was, 'the locals seem to have it under control.' He managed to get them to move up to the fire but no sooner had they got there, they were called back to base. It was knock off time. Thank goodness for the Americans who came in.

Victorians also like pushing big tracks everywhere. I saw one track pushed open that ran parallel with another perfectly good track. One dozer driver I know told me he just likes pushing trees over. These guys get paid a lot during fires. Others on the payroll have said they like to keep the fire going to get more overtime.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I have seen bushfire fighting from many angles, including the air. NSW does it very different to Victoria. Much more hands on on the fire line in NSW. During the last fire in Vic I was on the fire line for a bit. The CFA stood around with their hands in the pockets and well away from the fire. When questioned the response was 'Can't go up there. There's a fire'. Next time a parkie spoke to them and the response was, 'the locals seem to have it under control.' He managed to get them to move up to the fire but no sooner had they got there, they were called back to base. It was knock off time. Thank goodness for the Americans who came in.

Victorians also like pushing big tracks everywhere. I saw one track pushed open that ran parallel with another perfectly good track. One dozer driver I know told me he just likes pushing trees over. These guys get paid a lot during fires. Others on the payroll have said they like to keep the fire going to get more overtime.
So it’s an ‘industry’ of sorts? Great? Not that surprised?

It might sound unfair but your CFA comments reminds me of some the chatter here about the Buffalo/Tatra Inn fire and the inability to go in (or even around) to save the gal?

I feel we never got a decent Govt. explanation as to why more wasn’t done to save Tatra. Perhaps there’s other areas of Vic (Harrietville?) where this arguement holds, too?

Reactions: Chaeron

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Absolutely gorgeous day in the mountains today.

PXL_20210620_034545793.jpg
IMG_20210620_130204_111.jpg
PXL_20210620_023916861.jpg
PXL_20210620_023216007.jpg
PXL_20210620_021725866.jpg

Beautiful mountains and great photos GS. A Somewhat underrated part of the Aussie alps -perhaps not being part of the main ski and tourist areas? Has had to recover from the fires too!

It’s also bit scary that for the second year, June is so lean in Vic. Yes it’s still early but the trend is worrying. At least the lack of snow makes the walking and camping much simpler.

Reactions: GS and zapruda

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Some pics of a nice circuit around Boggy Plain, Blanket Plain area.
IMG20210621083923_.jpg
IMG20210621094824_.jpg
IMG20210621095543_.jpg
IMG20210621101557_.jpg
IMG20210621105510_.jpg
IMG20210621110752_.jpg
IMG20210621112824_.jpg

Bonus pics of the works at Tantangara: adit portal and cofferdam; site of future accommodation camp. Very busy up there these days.
IMG20210621133542_.jpg
IMG20210621133845_.jpg
Nice pic and country - looking as snow free or more so than the Vic high country!

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Some pics of a nice circuit around Boggy Plain, Blanket Plain area.
IMG20210621083923_.jpg
IMG20210621094824_.jpg
IMG20210621095543_.jpg
IMG20210621101557_.jpg
IMG20210621105510_.jpg
IMG20210621110752_.jpg
IMG20210621112824_.jpg

Bonus pics of the works at Tantangara: adit portal and cofferdam; site of future accommodation camp. Very busy up there these days.
IMG20210621133542_.jpg
IMG20210621133845_.jpg

Nice. This is such a nice time of the year to be on the frost plains. Especially days like that.

Tantangara and surrounds are going to look very different over the next few years. There seems to be something new happening every time I visit. I hate it.

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
An interesting bit of history for those who care. We can see here on the 1903 (2 ed) Parish map for Gungorra (Northern KNP) that Mt Morgan was referred to as 'Half Moon Peak' and the current Half Moon Peak was 'Round Half Moon Peak'. Its interesting how these things change over time. I've always thought that Mt Morgan was a boring name for such a significant and beautiful peak.

Also, an acquaintance of mine has recently put together a fairly comprehensive map of Indigenous place names in the NSW/ACT alps and Mt Morgan was called 'Maragwrall' by the Wolgal people.

HalfMoon.PNG

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
Character building weather out there today. Travel from club lake thru to Thredbo was a little breezy, limited vis, and very soggy. Raining from seamans hut onwards (2000m). Complete contrast to the previous few days out. Still lovely though, but happy to not be in my tent tonight as initially planned.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Love to see that. Overseas rellos don't comprehend our snow country, the sheer scale of it.
To be fair many Kiwis we’ve met on their own soil barely know we have both snow and ski fields.

You worry about some people!

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Character building weather out there today. Travel from club lake thru to Thredbo was a little breezy, limited vis, and very soggy. Raining from seamans hut onwards (2000m). Complete contrast to the previous few days out. Still lovely though, but happy to not be in my tent tonight as initially planned.
Good call, though it may have been epic!

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
oh no, this is sub-optimal.... September is prime time for Lady Bogong. Anyone have any access tips from the other way? I've never come in from the mitta mitta side.
If they do the bridges one at a time (likely if using the one contractor) and assuming Mountain Creek bridge is out then you can get to Camp Creek via Mitta on a reasonable good dirt road but AWD recommended via Trappers Gap road. That would cut out Holloways Log road which can be troublesome at its highest point but in spring things are always different. From Melbourne I would think you may have an hour more driving going via Mitta (turn off just before Mitta Mitta). Mulhauser can bit more challenging at times but still a good way in. 5 or so hours with a full pack but also may be carrying skis for a bit on the Long spur. I have done Rootsie spur from Lightning creek in winter but would not recommend it. Same issue as going via Holloways Log road as they intersect anyway.

DELWP put a new bridge in at Lightning creek and that one seemed to take a while to do but only because nobody was working on it for a while. Once work started in earnest it was pretty quick.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass